TESTERS WANTED! ×

Prior to November of last year, I was a once or twice a year golfer. Never had any intention of getting better. Amazing what a torn Achilles will do to make you discover new ways to be competitive. Now I'm playing as often as I can, with regular range sessions.

My focus now is just getting consistent with my swing and ball striking. I've been coming over the top pretty bad, but I feel like I've started to have a breakthrough. Any comments appreciated.

(Also, wife isn't into the hobby and, for now at least, professional lessons are on the back burner.)

Driver down the line:

Five iron down the line:

Driver on front (not the same driver swing as above):

I'm too tight here in the hips it feels like and a little too handsy. Should the shaft be distorting the way it is? What's ideal with that?

Also, geeze.. that five-iron looks awful short from this angle! 

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I think most of us would be categorized as Not swing coaches.  I am always hesitant to make comments because my swing is far from perfect.  I struggled when I started 23 years ago and mostly because I thought I could fix my swing myself.  Boy was I wrong!  I had to unlearn the bad habits that I had ingrained into my swing.  Actually, I think the correct thinking is that I had to create new good habits to replace the bad ones.  

I can't stress enough how important is it to see a teaching pro, and I stress good teaching pro, to provide the independent feedback that will help get on the right track.  Well worth the dollars spent.  I chose the golf school approach.  Do a search and pick a school that can work with what you have rather than completely change your swing; that is, unless you have the time and money to invest in a new swing. :)   I treated my school as a golf vacation.  I got away from the local pros (I know most of them in my area), and immersed myself in the teaching atmosphere from morning to night.  It's a good way to jump start your training.  Believe me, you will suck the first day or two, but that is to be expected when you make changes.  It doesn't feel normal, but you have to work through it.  It will get better.  Actually, the one thing I agree with Martin Hall on the GC is "If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you've been getting."  

So, with that introduction...  here are my observations, FWIW.

• On backswing when club parallel to ground, the toe of club should be pointed straight up  -  Can't see your grip but might be a little strong.
  • Good turn, but at the top the club is across the target line  -  that doesn't help the coming over the top move.
  • Release is early on the downswing - you create good leverage angle early but lose it before your hands get in front of your right hip.  Think about pointing the butt end of the club at the ball for as long as you can on the downswing.
  • Ahh, the chicken wing, I know it well -  At contact you are holding the face of the club open like you would on a cut or lob shot rather than extending the club down the line which rolls the right hand over the left.  Consider using a towel or club cover under your left armpit through the swing.
  • Good balance.

I have found that practicing my swing in very slow motion helps me hit all of my key positions.  A good instructor will help you find your swing keys.  

Being young helps a lot.  Best of luck.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Find a teacher and drop some bucks with him/her.  Just do your homework first so that you know you are going to a good one.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived