TESTERS WANTED! ×

Uhhhh, Lexi? (Poll)

GolfSpy Barbajo

Lexi Thompson's Topless Golf Digest Cover  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Lexi's cover?

• I have daughters - this is not right!
    • She's an incredibly fit athlete - don't overanalyze
    • All that's missing are the bunny ears
    • Don't care either way, I read Golf Digest for the articles
    • Yeah baby!

This is blowing up Twitter this morning...

Keeping the jokes aside, what are your thoughts on this cover shot? What kind of a message does it send about the LPGA or about Lexi? Did she need to do this? Did GD need to do this? Or are we overthinking it?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

To me this comes down to how would we react if this was Tiger showing his physique at the peak of his prime? I think we'd snicker a bit about Golf Digest looking like Men's Health, but would we be offended? Of course not. Not remotely. Any response other than that I would argue is blatantly and offensively sexist.

That said, I don't even necessarily read this as SEXUAL. She's not doing come hither. She's not giving the duckface. She's showing a very fit body. If anything this says to me: Golf is about being fit and strong and powerful. To me that's exactly the message I would want to send to my daughter. If she works on at the game, and builds her body, she can be as good as most men when it comes to the sport. Period.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

As a side note, I'm barely restraining myself from working over @golfgawd on twitter for being a nincompoop. 

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

To me this comes down to how would we react if this was Tiger showing his physique at the peak of his prime? I think we'd snicker a bit about Golf Digest looking like Men's Health, but would we be offended? Of course not. Not remotely. Any response other than that I would argue is blatantly and offensively sexist.

That said, I don't even necessarily read this as SEXUAL. She's not doing come hither. She's not giving the duckface. She's showing a very fit body. If anything this says to me: Golf is about being fit and strong and powerful. To me that's exactly the message I would want to send to my daughter. If she works on at the game, and builds her body, she can be as good as most men when it comes to the sport. Period.

Of course that picture is about sex. You can show a fit body without taking clothes off. That picture isn't about fitness. It's about being provocative and grabbing guys attention on the news stand.

Of course that picture is about sex. You can show a fit body without taking clothes off. That picture isn't about fitness. It's about being provocative and grabbing guys attention on the news stand.

That's what YOU see. What would a fourteen year old girl see? This isn't about your reaction as a man.

It's about the reaction of a woman to it. She sees someone LIKE HER on the cover of a major magazine showing her physique in a non-sexual way. How is there anything negative about that?

If this was about "sex sells" they did a pretty piss poor job because I'm not terribly aroused by it.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

That's what YOU see. What would a fourteen year old girl see? This isn't about your reaction as a man.

It's about the reaction of a woman to it. She sees someone LIKE HER on the cover of a major magazine showing her physique in a non-sexual way. How is there anything negative about that?

If this was about "sex sells" they did a pretty piss poor job because I'm not terribly aroused by it.

Gotta side with Blade on this one.

How many 14 year old girls do you see buying golf magazines?  They are playing to their audience.

I can think of a 100 other ways to show off her physique without putting a tower over her neck and showing off some side boob.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Gotta side with Blade on this one.

How many 14 year old girls do you see buying golf magazines?  They are playing to their audience.

I can think of a 100 other ways to show off her physique without putting a tower over her neck and showing off some side boob.

If this were a man without his shirt on, showing off his guns, you wouldn't be saying the same thing. You be saying it was stupid, but you wouldn't be accusing the magazine of being shameless. Nor would some dude be decrying on twitter that his "little boys" are going to get the wrong idea about golf now.

And by you I don't mean YOU, I mean the nebulous you who is getting upset about it.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

If this were a man without his shirt on, showing off his guns, you wouldn't be saying the same thing. You be saying it was stupid, but you wouldn't be accusing the magazine of being shameless. Nor would some dude be decrying on twitter that his "little boys" are going to get the wrong idea about golf now.

I don't disagree with that.  But in our society we have a social norm that it is OK for men to be shirtless and not women.  I'm not saying thats right or wrong, but it's the world we live in.

Ask a 14 year old boy what he see's in that picture, guarantee the answer is boobs.

I'm also not saying I think the picture is wrong in any way.  Lexi deserves to show off the physique she has worked hard to achieve.  But if you think GD put that picture on the cover for any reason other than they think it will sell more magazines I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I don't disagree with that.  But in our society we have a social norm that it is OK for men to be shirtless and not women.  I'm not saying thats right or wrong, but it's the world we live in.

Ask a 14 year old boy what he see's in that picture, guarantee the answer is boobs.

I'm also not saying I think the picture is wrong in any way.  Lexi deserves to show off the physique she has worked hard to achieve.  But if you think GD put that picture on the cover for any reason other than they think it will sell more magazines I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Oh 100% from a marketing perspective. They're appealing to their demographic. I just think accusing them of "sending the wrong message to little girls" is absurd.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Demographic or not.....I just don't think this type of photography (male or female) should be on the cover of the sort's premier magazine.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

This, right here, is my next profile pic.

I could do that pose, but it'd be way more body hair than you'd think is normal.  Think aging Chewbacca...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I could do that pose, but it'd be way more body hair than you'd think is normal.  Think aging Chewbacca...

I'd prefer not to Barb But thanks for the offer lol

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Personally I think this is the closest they could do to the old Bo Jackson pic. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this. Sure it appeals to men but if they are trying to be very sexual then they did a piss poor job. Lexi feels empowered by it and it does absolutely zero to affect the game negatively to young girls. Hell maybe it even helps girls see that they can play golf and not come off as frumpy and unattractive. I don't have any issue with it. Good for her for putting in the time btw. 3748978952_71f171d668.jpg

The 15 yr old girl I played a round with at TPC Dye's Valley has grown up!!

Lexi Thompson edit.jpg

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Little over the top, but they have to do somethings they would never do to sell copies. On-line is killing them!

She looks good!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Is there a valid reason why she had to have her shirt off? Couldn't her level of fitness be displayed while being clothed? It doesn't really bother me.... I just think it was unneccessary.

Was it necessary for me to have to see Kim Kardashian's huge naked ass all over the cover of whatever magazine she was on the cover of? No.. But it got people talking about it and that's what they want. Obviously it got us talking about it. That's just good press for them. They don't care if it's in a semi negative light. They won't lose readers over it. They may gain a few though.

Agree to disagree. I'm pretty sure the cover says "Fitness and Power Issue." Of course they are trying to make people talk and sell magazines and they have accomplished both with that. Its fine for golf because at the end of the day its still a business and still has to make money. I will also bet that if Lexi didn't feel like it was appropriate she wouldn't have done it. She can do what she likes with her body and she did.

Was it necessary for me to have to see Kim Kardashian's huge naked ass all over the cover of whatever magazine she was on the cover of? No.. But it got people talking about it and that's what they want. Obviously it got us talking about it. That's just good press for them. They don't care if it's in a semi negative light. They won't lose readers over it. They may gain a few though.

I can't argue with that. ;)

It's her body to do with as she pleases. I am not a young lady who plays golf so I won't pretend to know now they feel about it.

No shirt on aside, she is very attractive with her hair like that.

Normally she looks masculine to me when she's playing, not here with her hair like that.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I just realized who she reminds me of. You remember the early episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation? The security officer Tasha Yar or something like that. With blonde hair, she would look just like her.

It's funny you mention it MnFats, I showed my girlfriend and my sister in law the pic of Lexi. They both said that she looked like a boy with boobs. I then asked them what they thought about it and they said they didn't have any thoughts. It was just a magazine cover.

Eh. Lexi can do what ever she wants, I have no problem with her.

As for GD, I don't quite know what to think. Unnecessary: sure, but this is the same company that forgoes putting women golfers on, for famous wives. Not sure what it takes for an LPGA player to just get a normal cover.

I think that's my biggest gripe is that they went provocative rather than showcasing the fact she does really take fitness seriously.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived