Mr_Theoo

Competitive golf

Stroke play is my favorite. Match play too. I don't play/like scrambles really. Yeah... I've played many for charities or some such but I'd prefer not too. They're hoke in my opinion. Anyway.. my simple advice is just go out and warm up and play your normal game and let the chips fall. I think guys including me sometimes read way too much into these run of the mill tournaments. It's not a major state or national armature event or anything. The rules certainly apply more in your tournament than in your normal Saturday game. So be aware and know the most common and basic ones. Since this is your first tournament you'll learn a lot. I'll be interested to hear how your experience goes. Most importantly... have fun.

I usually step onto the course and go, but in tournaments I have  set routine from experience. Get there an hour early, hit balls for 20-30 minutes. Go putt/chip for 10-15... just to get a feel. Then I'll go back and hit the first 2-3 holes on the range... Driver iron wedge... and hit a few putts again if there's time.

Stroke play is all about keeping the big ones off the score. For me that meant letting a bad score go immediately. If you have a bad hole, keep things from getting out of hand. You'll be nervous, but it goes away pretty quick after the first hole and you get competitive juices going.

Biggest thing for me was putting. If I could putt well I could make up for bad shots elsewhere... find something that you can fall back on to make up for mistakes.

Oh and good luck.

I've started to plan my day for the tournament. The course is about a hour away and it starts at 2 so I wont have to wake up at the crack of dawn to get there on time which is nice. I'm hoping to get out this Sunday for a round just to shake the rust off and get used to hitting golf shots again, not just working on the swing. I hope to get there about 2 hours before the tee time to not only warm up but also stretch and eat a light lunch. I plan to pack my own lunch and snacks since the round will probably be a long one. 

• Like 2

Try to play around the same time in the afternoon as your tournament.

Try to play around the same time in the afternoon as your tournament.

Good idea! I had a lesson today and if I can hit the ball half as well as I did I should do just fine.

• Like 1

Well today's the day. Had a good range session yesterday after I got over some nerves. Very excited to tee it up today!

How'd it go?

I shot a 107 but overall it went pretty good. It rained pretty much the whole time which sucked cause it made it hard to grip clubs and it was cold. I pretty much had to hit hybrid off every par 4 and 5 because I couldn't grip the driver. But the course was amazing, by far the best greens I've ever played on. I definitely plan to play in more this summer.

• Like 2