Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What Yips? Tiger Struts His Stuff at Augusta Practice Round

GolfSpy Barbajo

Tiger put his short game on display at Augusta...especially love the line about where Tiger gets his mail at Augusta!

What yips? Tiger Woods arrives at Augusta, puts short game to immediate test  

By Geoff Shackelford

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- For a guy with the yips, Tiger Woods just announced to the world that he's not afraid to show off his short game. Showing up at Augusta National's tournament practice area around 3:40 ET, Woods briefly stopped to talk to Mike Weir about the Canadian's elbow issues, them marched boldly to the short game practice area.

tiger.jpg

Knowing all eyes at the range were on his wedge practice and probably aware there was an audience on Golf Channel's “Live From” hoping to see if he's cured the short game yips, Woods took a green bag of balls from caddie Joe LaCava, put on headphones, appeared to dance to the music at one point and went straight to work hitting the same lofted wedges that have given him such fits.

Talk about a bold statement. 

While it's hardly unusual for a professional golfer to warm-up hitting wedges, any yipper can tell you that playing the shot that gives you fits, and doing it in front of a crowd, ranks up there in the Fun Department with root canals and prostate exams.

More curious was his decision to listen to music while warming up. Was it the soothing voice of a guru? Or simply a nod to new endorsee Sol Republic, who Woods signed with in January. 

After hitting no flubs and looking crisp with his shots, Woods moved to the main tee, where swing consultant Chris Como awkwardly waited while former instructor Sean Foley and Woods joked around. Eventually, Woods began moving through the bag and headed for the first tee for a late nine at Augusta National. 

If the range swagger was a statement, the body language on course all but spilled over the top. Woods blew his first tee shot into his usual spot on the 9th fairway, where Woods also gets his mail when he's in Augusta. Anyway, Woods then hit his approach to six feet and he quickly knocked in a birdie as if it was a mere afterthought. He then took two wedges and two balls, and the crowd grew eerily quiet. But Woods moved around the diabolical first green hitting all manner of shots, showing no signs of distress. 

A few in the gallery of 500 or so patrons gasped at his sleek physique, but otherwise welcomed him back with various shout-outs. Playing partner O'Meara eventually ran out of putts to try on a green he's seen plenty, turning to watch the downright jovial Woods chip before moving to the putter. After a few long putts, Woods scooped up his ball with the back cavity of his putter and twirled it over his head, keeping the ball in the putter the entire time.

He stopped short of Moonwalking off the first green.

Almost like old times. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I really hope he does well.  I will root for him.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Sounds like he's got a bit of his swagger back. Maybe this time off did him good. Hope he comes out on fire this week.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I honestly believe that he had 100 people all around him trying to "fix him" and eventually after years of that he just go completely screwed up mentally. I'm hoping he took the time and just reset his brain. I'm obviously no expert but I think 95% of his issues were mental. 

I too hope that he's back and plays well.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Anyone can do it at the range, did he have the yips on the range the last 3 times he played, we won't know if his chipping is good until he is under pressure to get up and down for the first time. I hope he fails miserably, and walks off after 5 holes. Then I get to watch some real golf.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Anyone can do it at the range, did he have the yips on the range the last 3 times he played, we won't know if his chipping is good until he is under pressure to get up and down for the first time. I hope he fails miserably, and walks off after 5 holes. Then I get to watch some real golf.

I am curious what your definition of "real golf" is?

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

He was having trouble in the practice area at the last few events as well as the course. Even to the point where other pros were coming over to watch him and try to help.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

While it's hardly unusual for a professional golfer to warm-up hitting wedges, any yipper can tell you that playing the shot that gives you fits, and doing it in front of a crowd, ranks up there in the Fun Department with root canals and prostate exams.

In Tiger's case it will be like him having the prostate exam in front of a million people. As one who knows, it will only take one yip because all you will think about is when will it happen again.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Brill, Tiger must be back he hasn't withdrawn from a practice round!

We'll know how is game is when he has to play at competition pace with the pressure on - lots of time to think about those shots when it takes nearly 6 hours to get round.

I'd guess if you went and looked you'd have found ian woosnam and sandy Lyle looking good while out practicing.... How many of us have practiced one day and thought all our problems are over, and then the next day.......

Tiger would need to be at odds over 100:1 before Id go near him for a bet.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

He's also ditched the sneaker shoes in favor of a throwback of his own shoe, the TW11. And he's lost a bunch of weight. Trying to turn back the clock a little maybe?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

We've all had great range sessions, and once the competition begins, we'll see how his game stands up.

Maybe he's remembered that he knows his game better than anyone else and will just play golf.

It will make this an interesting week, anyway.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

He's also ditched the sneaker shoes in favor of a throwback of his own shoe, the TW11. And he's lost a bunch of weight. Trying to turn back the clock a little maybe?

When he does crap like this it just solidifies the fact that he is nucking futs. I mean, honestly, some guys may do some stuff like that as a superstition or for nostalgia, but He honestly thinks that his five year old shoes are going to make a difference in his score! What a nut job!

When he does crap like this it just solidifies the fact that he is nucking futs. I mean, honestly, some guys may do some stuff like that as a superstition or for nostalgia, but He honestly thinks that his five year old shoes are going to make a difference in his score! What a nut job!

I don't think it's that. I think it's more the profile of the shoe and what Nike had in dead stock from his collection. The older style he was wearing has him a little taller (about 1/2" due to the sole profile). Might not seem like a lot but being higher on the nails might help him not hit fat chips. That or the waterproof mesh isn't as water proof as they'd like us to believe and he's trying to get some broke in in the event he makes the weekend because it's going to rain

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't think it's that. I think it's more the profile of the shoe and what Nike had in dead stock from his collection. The older style he was wearing has him a little taller (about 1/2" due to the sole profile). Might not seem like a lot but being higher on the nails might help him not hit fat chips. That or the waterproof mesh isn't as water proof as they'd like us to believe and he's trying to get some broke in in the event he makes the weekend because it's going to rain

I definitely think its the swing change that made him switch. From all the work he does with Hatfield on his shoes i wouldn't be surprised if they get him a pair of the 15s tweaked 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Thursday to Sunday, these practice rounds and range sessions don't mean a thing.

Not exactly how it came off in your previous post. You can just say some "Sans tiger golf." haha

Also since Tiger hasn't shown any real golf the last few times out.

Sure he has. I consider that much more real golf than the stuff the top pros play. The way he has played lately is MUCH more familiar to me lol

Not exactly how it came off in your previous post. You can just say some "Sans tiger golf." haha

It's called fat fingers, and a small phone, plus ridiculous autocorrect. It changes words to other words that aren't even words, and proof reading, not usually. Especially at 4 am

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived