TESTERS WANTED! ×

Review: Snell- My Tour Ball

apprenti23

Alright. Sharing some information on here in hopes to help others. You don't need trackman numbers to tell you what ball works for you. Read reviews like this, and go out and try them. Disclaimer- In my next round, I may play very poorly and say this is the worst ball ever.

Side note- I will not ever rate a golf ball on durability. I've lost brand new golf balls after one swing, so durability of a golf ball is the least of my worries (should be yours too). Also, I use conforming v grooves, no square grooved snell shredders here.

Pros- performance: read my review

Cons- brand name: not exactly music to ones ears

Just played my second round in six months today... I hit about twenty balls before my round and that was the first time I hit a practice bucket since September '14. Golf courses are just finally starting to perk up around here as most of the grasses are still dormant. With that being said the greens roll fine but are very firm this time of year. Unfortunately the rest of the course except for bunkers are pretty soft. Temps today were upper 50's maybe low 60's and overcast- wind started out about 10mph but by the time we finished our round had dwindled down to a zephyr.

Personal Background - I've tried every tour level ball on the market, but when it came down to brass tax I have been a staunch ProV1/X player since 2002. I'm a decent player: each of the last three years I've played about ten rounds total (including charity events and tournaments) with range time being whatever balls I can bang before our tee time. When I used to think I was good at golf I was a +2.7 hcp but now its anyone's guess what I can shoot.

Review: Because I'm fat, out of shape, haven't hit balls in forever, and all of my clubs are x-stiff I was anticipating adding one club to each of my iron shots for lack of swing speed due to hybernation. Well, thanks to the "tony" Snell ball I didn't need to. My entire golfing career I've been high launch and spin. I don't know if it's due to the design of the exterior of the ball (doesn't have super spin skin or dodecahedron shaped dimples) or the interior but I have never hit such low (for me) drives that actually produced a roll out. I'm not kidding, today I hit more than a few 300+ yard drives, and that wasn't due to my smash factor! That was purely due to receiving proper roll. I hit my drives like crap, but they were still getting out there. My drives had zero "kite" or ballooning to them and my ball was actually coming down from its apex on an angle versus falling from the sky like a butterfly with sore feet. My iron shots started out on a lower trajectory as well. Hard to say how much spin I was receiving, but I had no problems stopping it with any iron or when chipping around the greens. Zipped back a full 9 iron a few feet from its ball mark, stopped a 50 yard skipper on a dime (ten yards short of the pin) and hit a 230 3-iron that only finished about eight feet from its ball mark. I missed a few fairways (9/14) and greens (13/18) today, hit it in two bunkers (one greenside, one fwy), and the ball was very predictable. Looking at the pictures I do not see any durability issues with this ball. I didn't hit any cart paths or roads today. Feels fine off the putter, the logos don't distract me, name of the ball doesn't matter to me either as I will sharpie line right through the lame "my tour ball" statement if I'm playing for something or in a tournament.

If you haven't tried this ball, do it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice review apprenti -- just goes to show everyone's different.  I"m not in your league as a stick, but found the Snell to be shorter than Monsta off the tee but better around the green, and longer than DuoSpin off the tee but not as good around the green.  Srixon Z-Star (with the vaunted Spin Skin) was about the same off the tee, but off the charts around the green -- for me.  

I don't know what to make of it all -- at the vary least the ball is round and goes in the hole every 4th or 5th (or 6th) shot....

Anxious to hear about how it works for you as the spring goes on...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks for the review!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I really wish I could have posted the pic of the Snell I played last Saturday. (I rinsed it on 14) My clubs have conforming grooves as well. Durability is important to me. I don't like playing a ball that looks worn unless I'm just out practicing. I'll replace a ball during a round if it gets scuffed for some reason. I'll certainly play the Snell again. It's possible the batch I received had issues as far as the cosmetics are concerned. At this time I can neither fully defend or discount the Snell. We'll see.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I will second this review.  I have played Callaway golf balls for years and really thought the SR3 preformed well.  Callaway has always outperformed Titleist for me.  I ordered the Snell ball.  Tested it against the Callaway and came away thinking knowing it is a better golf ball.  I found the driver to be a big difference as well.  I shared this with the guys at my course.  Par 5, into the wind.  Hit the Snell ball and felt like I hit it ok, nothing great.  Teed up the Callaway and really hit it.  One of the better drives of the day.  Get out to the fairway and the snell ball was 30 passed the Callaway.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

I will second this review.  I have played Callaway golf balls for years and really thought the SR3 preformed well.  Callaway has always outperformed Titleist for me.  I ordered the Snell ball.  Tested it against the Callaway and came away thinking knowing it is a better golf ball.  I found the driver to be a big difference as well.  I shared this with the guys at my course.  Par 5, into the wind.  Hit the Snell ball and felt like I hit it ok, nothing great.  Teed up the Callaway and really hit it.  One of the better drives of the day.  Get out to the fairway and the snell ball was 30 passed the Callaway.

Wow! That is a large difference!

I hope that the next time out for me it's blowing about 20+mph. That will be a true test!

Wow! That is a large difference!

I hope that the next time out for me it's blowing about 20+mph. That will be a true test!

If you ever play golf in South Dakota for a few days, you'll likely have your chance to play in 20+mph wind - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Nice review, I may have to try these Snelly balls.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If you ever play golf in South Dakota for a few days, you'll likely have your chance to play in 20+mph wind - lol

Yeah baby! 21 mph with gusts to 25 today. Very normal. If you don't like playing in the wind, you don't play much here or you move! BTW, I shot even par on my practice course today; all pars.

Might as well order some Snells; I've tried several balls already this year. Another one won't hurt much!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played a round with these balls last weekend.  I was very pleased with the carry and roll out of the ball, it stopped well on the greens too.  If you are looking for good performance and a low price these could be a good choice.

Have played a couple of rounds with the Snell.   Definitely  no shorter than a pro V1X maybe a little longer off the irons.  The cover may have some of the same material as the Titleist ball but not quite as soft of a feel.   I think it leads to a little less spin in the short game and my irons which may be why I feel the ball carries better off my irons.

Another thing I've noticed is the sharpie markings on the ball do not take to the cover as well as a Pro V1X.  by the end of the round they are almost worn off.  Good ball, not quite a Pro V  

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a C4

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Yesterday was my first experience with the Snelly balls in the wind. Holy cow what a day it was. The weather and playing conditions in Chicago yesterday reminded me of some of the worst playing conditions of collegiate golf in the spring season.

I played in the spring pro-pro at Harborside International where it's windy on a calm day. For those of you who don't know, Harborside is an old landfill turned golf course. It is the highest point in the city of Chicago and has two links style golf courses so there isn't a tree in sight. The temp yesterday was mid-upper 40's with a real feel of 35*. It was cloudy, overcast with periods of rain, and constant 20mph wind with gusts over 30mph. Perfect day to play Harborside.

The Snell ball performed very well for me yesterday. The name got some laughs from the all ProV1 crowd, but I had multiple guys asking about it during the round. I honestly consider this ball a lower launching and spinning ProV1. The short game control is awesome, especially from bunkers. Off the tee I was very happy with the performance as well. Whether it was a driver or iron shot, the only time the ball kited or floated on me was when I hit a bad shot or flipped at it. Great golf ball.

• SPY VIP

Yesterday was my first experience with the Snelly balls in the wind. Holy cow what a day it was. The weather and playing conditions in Chicago yesterday reminded me of some of the worst playing conditions of collegiate golf in the spring season.

I played in the spring pro-pro at Harborside International where it's windy on a calm day. For those of you who don't know, Harborside is an old landfill turned golf course. It is the highest point in the city of Chicago and has two links style golf courses so there isn't a tree in sight. The temp yesterday was mid-upper 40's with a real feel of 35*. It was cloudy, overcast with periods of rain, and constant 20mph wind with gusts over 30mph. Perfect day to play Harborside.

The Snell ball performed very well for me yesterday. The name got some laughs from the all ProV1 crowd, but I had multiple guys asking about it during the round. I honestly consider this ball a lower launching and spinning ProV1. The short game control is awesome, especially from bunkers. Off the tee I was very happy with the performance as well. Whether it was a driver or iron shot, the only time the ball kited or floated on me was when I hit a bad shot or flipped at it. Great golf ball.

I can't agree enough with this, the Snell ball is lower spin, but very controllable playable spin. Off the driver it's only bested by my favorite driver ball from the ball buyers guide the Nicklaus black, but as an all around the Snell is just a stud.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I've played 3 rounds with it; I like it a lot...it is loooonnnnggg, and seems very much under my control...not enough grass around yet to tell how it will spin on half-wedge shots, but full wedges produce the same results as Pro V1's or Bridgestone B330 RX's for me (one hop and stop)...so far so good...

Jon Silverberg

BatCaddy electric pushcart with 36 hole capable lead-acid battery, holding a 2015 Titleist 14-way stand bag, customized with my club's logo (Nassau Players Club), containing:

TaylorMade 10.5 degree SIM Max Driver (set 2 clicks down), with 47.5" A Flex Fujikura Ventus Red 5 shaft 

Cobra F6 3-4W (set to 16 degrees), with 47.5" R flex Aldila ATX65 shaft

Cobra King F8 4-5 wood (set to 19 degrees), 3 and 4 hybrids, all R flex

TaylorMade Jetspeed 6 Hybrid, R flex

Cleveland Launcher HB 7-S irons, R flex (+1.5")

Cleveland RTX 3.0CB 60 degree wedge (+1")

Evnroll ER-3 putter, 35" (Gravity grip)

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived arrived today. If Apprenti23 doesn't mind I will add a moderate swing speed impression to the mix. I'm looking forward to trying these.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have been meaning to order the Snell balls, but with all things going on, it slipped my mind.  I really liked the great answers that Dean provided on the Quo Vadis Golf Ball? thread, so the order just went in.  I will run a comparison between it and the MG Tour C4 ball that I have been playing since it warmed up.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am a 4 handicap with a 104-108 swing speed. I bought the Snell the day that it was reviewed on this site.  I was very excited when they arrived... but like anything else in golf there is no "magic" that will get you 15 extra yards by just putting it in play unless you "magically" work hard on your game for 6 months and positive changes start producing.

With that said I do feel that if you really squish the Snell ball with any of your clubs it will go 4-5 yards further (as it was reviewed on this site). If you're gear junkie like me and are willing to try anything new and exciting I recommend the Snell My Tour Ball for a test drive. I still rotate them between the Pro V1x.

I am a 4 handicap with a 104-108 swing speed. I bought the Snell the day that it was reviewed on this site.  I was very excited when they arrived... but like anything else in golf there is no "magic" that will get you 15 extra yards by just putting it in play unless you "magically" work hard on your game for 6 months and positive changes start producing.

With that said I do feel that if you really squish the Snell ball with any of your clubs it will go 4-5 yards further (as it was reviewed on this site). If you're gear junkie like me and are willing to try anything new and exciting I recommend the Snell My Tour Ball for a test drive. I still rotate them between the Pro V1x.

Hey I would take 4-5 yards in a heartbeat particularly if some of it were carry.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

So, the dozen Snell My Tour Ball arrive late afternoon today. After record rains overnight, the course was a little wet in spots but not bad. Got to the course about 5pm, overcast 57 degrees and not much wind. The air was heavy and there was less roll than usual. Since I was short of time, I played 2 balls off the tee, one Snell and one MG Tour C4, picked the best shot, then played both balls again from there. Same on every shot until holed.

I started playing the MG Tour C4 in March and like the ball for both performance and value. For me it plays like a ProV1 off the tee and around the green. The Snell went head to head with it and the feel is great. I have no problem playing the Snell. Generally, I would say that the Snell tends to fly a little higher for me; which is good for my slower 86 mph swing speed. I can't comment on rollout, since the course was a little wet. Both balls were solid off my Ping i20 irons and SCOR wedges. The greens were wet but had been firm before the rain. Both balls were one-hop stopping, which I really like. I could tell no difference off the putter; both produced a nice muted click. They are not the "soft" balls discussed in another thread.

One note: on the par 4 2nd hole, I was middle of the fairway 75 out hitting my 54 SCOR and hit an overhead power line; common at my practice course. (I know the ball was going in the hole!). Not a mark on the Snell. After 9 holes and numerous strikes with the SCORs, the Snell looked nearly new. My ink markings were starting to show some wear, but overall, the Snell looked to be pretty durable.

I will be trying both balls again when the course returns to normal condition and the weather gets back into the 80's. Tomorrow I am off to Spokane and N. Idaho for a long weekend and I will be playing the Snell ball on some other courses. So far, pretty impressed. At under $32/dozen its a lot cheaper than ProV1s. Is it better than the MG Tour C4? I would say comparable, but at $10/dozen more, the Snell may lose out. I still need to see if there is a significant performance difference when the temps reach 100+ this summer.

Good write-up Kenny. I've used both balls as well. I'll also play different balls from time to time. But always a urethane. Recently I tried the new Chrome Soft and I liked it. However, I still can't ditch the MG Tour C4. It's a great ball period. In fact, I just received two new dozen of the MG's. The MG is a $47/dz. ball being sold for $19.99/dz. Hmmm? Or are $19.99 balls being sold for $47? With my latest order I noticed that the MG logo no longer has the green ink. It's now all black and maybe just a tag smaller. I like it.

I'll say it again.... if you like playing a top of the line "tour" ball ...eh ehem... PV1; then you owe it to yourself to try the MG. To me it makes no sense to spend $47+ for a first class top of the line Tour quality golf ball.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've played the My Tour ball for my past three rounds and so I wanted to pipe in here with some observations.

It works! 

I've had the opportunity to play it for real and shot 76 with it in a competition.  I've also had it out on my course playing the temp greens where I was able to hit some second balls or third balls - I basically had the course to myself late Friday and again this afternoon.  It was very windy today - normally the wind lays down in the summer here unless there's a storm.  I don't know if it's windy at Bayou because it's close to the Gulf or we are in an unusual weather pattern.  Regardless it was a solid two club wind.

It's very wet here so I can't speak to distance as carry and roll - roll is not on the menu right now so carry and as much as possible is in!  I hit numerous drives with the My Tour Ball, Srixon Z star and Bridgestone B330 RX head to head.  I will add that my swing has kicked in and I'm striking the ball quite nicely at this point, very consistent, very straight with a slight draw on all of my shots.  Downwind the carries were similar off the tee but into the wind the Snell ball way out paced the others, 15 yards for me, seriously. 

It spins fine around the green, as much as a Pro VI?  I don't know, but more than likely as much as a Pro V1x and certainly as much as the Bridgestone ball that I normally use.  It has a softer feel off the club for me as well and a very nice sound to it.

If I were to categorize it I would put it between a Pro VI and a Pro VIX and that's a good thing.  Throw in the fact that Dean is a member here who has contributed to our forum with his responses while not pushing his product like a circus shill and I'm all in on this ball.

It works!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I just ordered two dozen.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived