Review: Snell- My Tour Ball

apprenti23

Alright. Sharing some information on here in hopes to help others. You don't need trackman numbers to tell you what ball works for you. Read reviews like this, and go out and try them. Disclaimer- In my next round, I may play very poorly and say this is the worst ball ever.

Side note- I will not ever rate a golf ball on durability. I've lost brand new golf balls after one swing, so durability of a golf ball is the least of my worries (should be yours too). Also, I use conforming v grooves, no square grooved snell shredders here.

Pros- performance: read my review

Cons- brand name: not exactly music to ones ears

Just played my second round in six months today... I hit about twenty balls before my round and that was the first time I hit a practice bucket since September '14. Golf courses are just finally starting to perk up around here as most of the grasses are still dormant. With that being said the greens roll fine but are very firm this time of year. Unfortunately the rest of the course except for bunkers are pretty soft. Temps today were upper 50's maybe low 60's and overcast- wind started out about 10mph but by the time we finished our round had dwindled down to a zephyr.

Personal Background - I've tried every tour level ball on the market, but when it came down to brass tax I have been a staunch ProV1/X player since 2002. I'm a decent player: each of the last three years I've played about ten rounds total (including charity events and tournaments) with range time being whatever balls I can bang before our tee time. When I used to think I was good at golf I was a +2.7 hcp but now its anyone's guess what I can shoot.

Review: Because I'm fat, out of shape, haven't hit balls in forever, and all of my clubs are x-stiff I was anticipating adding one club to each of my iron shots for lack of swing speed due to hybernation. Well, thanks to the "tony" Snell ball I didn't need to. My entire golfing career I've been high launch and spin. I don't know if it's due to the design of the exterior of the ball (doesn't have super spin skin or dodecahedron shaped dimples) or the interior but I have never hit such low (for me) drives that actually produced a roll out. I'm not kidding, today I hit more than a few 300+ yard drives, and that wasn't due to my smash factor! That was purely due to receiving proper roll. I hit my drives like crap, but they were still getting out there. My drives had zero "kite" or ballooning to them and my ball was actually coming down from its apex on an angle versus falling from the sky like a butterfly with sore feet. My iron shots started out on a lower trajectory as well. Hard to say how much spin I was receiving, but I had no problems stopping it with any iron or when chipping around the greens. Zipped back a full 9 iron a few feet from its ball mark, stopped a 50 yard skipper on a dime (ten yards short of the pin) and hit a 230 3-iron that only finished about eight feet from its ball mark. I missed a few fairways (9/14) and greens (13/18) today, hit it in two bunkers (one greenside, one fwy), and the ball was very predictable. Looking at the pictures I do not see any durability issues with this ball. I didn't hit any cart paths or roads today. Feels fine off the putter, the logos don't distract me, name of the ball doesn't matter to me either as I will sharpie line right through the lame "my tour ball" statement if I'm playing for something or in a tournament.

If you haven't tried this ball, do it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Nice review apprenti -- just goes to show everyone's different.  I"m not in your league as a stick, but found the Snell to be shorter than Monsta off the tee but better around the green, and longer than DuoSpin off the tee but not as good around the green.  Srixon Z-Star (with the vaunted Spin Skin) was about the same off the tee, but off the charts around the green -- for me.  

I don't know what to make of it all -- at the vary least the ball is round and goes in the hole every 4th or 5th (or 6th) shot....

Anxious to hear about how it works for you as the spring goes on...

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks for the review!

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I really wish I could have posted the pic of the Snell I played last Saturday. (I rinsed it on 14) My clubs have conforming grooves as well. Durability is important to me. I don't like playing a ball that looks worn unless I'm just out practicing. I'll replace a ball during a round if it gets scuffed for some reason. I'll certainly play the Snell again. It's possible the batch I received had issues as far as the cosmetics are concerned. At this time I can neither fully defend or discount the Snell. We'll see.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I will second this review.  I have played Callaway golf balls for years and really thought the SR3 preformed well.  Callaway has always outperformed Titleist for me.  I ordered the Snell ball.  Tested it against the Callaway and came away thinking knowing it is a better golf ball.  I found the driver to be a big difference as well.  I shared this with the guys at my course.  Par 5, into the wind.  Hit the Snell ball and felt like I hit it ok, nothing great.  Teed up the Callaway and really hit it.  One of the better drives of the day.  Get out to the fairway and the snell ball was 30 passed the Callaway.

• Like 1

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

I will second this review.  I have played Callaway golf balls for years and really thought the SR3 preformed well.  Callaway has always outperformed Titleist for me.  I ordered the Snell ball.  Tested it against the Callaway and came away thinking knowing it is a better golf ball.  I found the driver to be a big difference as well.  I shared this with the guys at my course.  Par 5, into the wind.  Hit the Snell ball and felt like I hit it ok, nothing great.  Teed up the Callaway and really hit it.  One of the better drives of the day.  Get out to the fairway and the snell ball was 30 passed the Callaway.

Wow! That is a large difference!

I hope that the next time out for me it's blowing about 20+mph. That will be a true test!

Wow! That is a large difference!

I hope that the next time out for me it's blowing about 20+mph. That will be a true test!

If you ever play golf in South Dakota for a few days, you'll likely have your chance to play in 20+mph wind - lol

• Like 1

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

Nice review, I may have to try these Snelly balls.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

If you ever play golf in South Dakota for a few days, you'll likely have your chance to play in 20+mph wind - lol

Yeah baby! 21 mph with gusts to 25 today. Very normal. If you don't like playing in the wind, you don't play much here or you move! BTW, I shot even par on my practice course today; all pars.

Might as well order some Snells; I've tried several balls already this year. Another one won't hurt much!

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very cool, don't know anyone from the Dakotas...

Trust me, I'll have plenty of opportunities to play in the wind here, they don't only call it the Windy City because of the politics!

My Snelly Balls! haha

I played a round with these balls last weekend.  I was very pleased with the carry and roll out of the ball, it stopped well on the greens too.  If you are looking for good performance and a low price these could be a good choice.

Have played a couple of rounds with the Snell.   Definitely  no shorter than a pro V1X maybe a little longer off the irons.  The cover may have some of the same material as the Titleist ball but not quite as soft of a feel.   I think it leads to a little less spin in the short game and my irons which may be why I feel the ball carries better off my irons.

Another thing I've noticed is the sharpie markings on the ball do not take to the cover as well as a Pro V1X.  by the end of the round they are almost worn off.  Good ball, not quite a Pro V  

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a C4

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Yesterday was my first experience with the Snelly balls in the wind. Holy cow what a day it was. The weather and playing conditions in Chicago yesterday reminded me of some of the worst playing conditions of collegiate golf in the spring season.

I played in the spring pro-pro at Harborside International where it's windy on a calm day. For those of you who don't know, Harborside is an old landfill turned golf course. It is the highest point in the city of Chicago and has two links style golf courses so there isn't a tree in sight. The temp yesterday was mid-upper 40's with a real feel of 35*. It was cloudy, overcast with periods of rain, and constant 20mph wind with gusts over 30mph. Perfect day to play Harborside.

The Snell ball performed very well for me yesterday. The name got some laughs from the all ProV1 crowd, but I had multiple guys asking about it during the round. I honestly consider this ball a lower launching and spinning ProV1. The short game control is awesome, especially from bunkers. Off the tee I was very happy with the performance as well. Whether it was a driver or iron shot, the only time the ball kited or floated on me was when I hit a bad shot or flipped at it. Great golf ball.

• Like 3

• SPY VIP

Yesterday was my first experience with the Snelly balls in the wind. Holy cow what a day it was. The weather and playing conditions in Chicago yesterday reminded me of some of the worst playing conditions of collegiate golf in the spring season.

I played in the spring pro-pro at Harborside International where it's windy on a calm day. For those of you who don't know, Harborside is an old landfill turned golf course. It is the highest point in the city of Chicago and has two links style golf courses so there isn't a tree in sight. The temp yesterday was mid-upper 40's with a real feel of 35*. It was cloudy, overcast with periods of rain, and constant 20mph wind with gusts over 30mph. Perfect day to play Harborside.

The Snell ball performed very well for me yesterday. The name got some laughs from the all ProV1 crowd, but I had multiple guys asking about it during the round. I honestly consider this ball a lower launching and spinning ProV1. The short game control is awesome, especially from bunkers. Off the tee I was very happy with the performance as well. Whether it was a driver or iron shot, the only time the ball kited or floated on me was when I hit a bad shot or flipped at it. Great golf ball.

I can't agree enough with this, the Snell ball is lower spin, but very controllable playable spin. Off the driver it's only bested by my favorite driver ball from the ball buyers guide the Nicklaus black, but as an all around the Snell is just a stud.

• Like 1

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

I've played 3 rounds with it; I like it a lot...it is loooonnnnggg, and seems very much under my control...not enough grass around yet to tell how it will spin on half-wedge shots, but full wedges produce the same results as Pro V1's or Bridgestone B330 RX's for me (one hop and stop)...so far so good...

• Like 1

Jon Silverberg

BatCaddy electric pushcart with 36 hole capable lead-acid battery, holding a 2015 Titleist 14-way stand bag, customized with my club's logo (Nassau Players Club), containing:

TaylorMade 10.5 degree SIM Max Driver (set 2 clicks down), with 47.5" A Flex Fujikura Ventus Red 5 shaft 

Cobra F6 3-4W (set to 16 degrees), with 47.5" R flex Aldila ATX65 shaft

Cobra King F8 4-5 wood (set to 19 degrees), 3 and 4 hybrids, all R flex

TaylorMade Jetspeed 6 Hybrid, R flex

Cleveland Launcher HB 7-S irons, R flex (+1.5")

Cleveland RTX 3.0CB 60 degree wedge (+1")

Evnroll ER-3 putter, 35" (Gravity grip)

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived arrived today. If Apprenti23 doesn't mind I will add a moderate swing speed impression to the mix. I'm looking forward to trying these.

• Like 2

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.