Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ping i15 vs Mizuno

Hey MGS!

It's that time where I get to purchase myself a new set of irons. It's been a few years and I believe my game has improved enough for a better set like a forged of semi forged set of irons. For current specs I am 16 years old, 6'2" 175lbs and my handicap is at about a 7 right now. The sets of clubs that have caught my attention lately are the ping i15's and everything from mizuno (I am very indecisive haha) so I decided to come here for help. Between the ping i15's and the mp 58/mp 52 or any other iron from mizuno you would reccomend which one should I go for?

Thanks,

Mat

WITB

Taylormade Light Stand Bag

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 X-Stiff Diamana Whiteboard D+72

Titleist 910 F 15 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3

3 Iron Adams Super DHY 21 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik White Tie Altus HX3

4-PW Mizuno MP32s Project X 6.5 

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled + SM4 DG S300

Nike Method Putter

Hey MGS!

It's that time where I get to purchase myself a new set of irons. It's been a few years and I believe my game has improved enough for a better set like a forged of semi forged set of irons. For current specs I am 16 years old, 6'2" 175lbs and my handicap is at about a 7 right now. The sets of clubs that have caught my attention lately are the ping i15's and everything from mizuno (I am very indecisive haha) so I decided to come here for help. Between the ping i15's and the mp 58/mp 52 or any other iron from mizuno you would reccomend which one should I go for?

Thanks,

Mat

Mat-

First off, congrats on achieving a 7 handicap by such a young age. That is truly a great accomplishment. Most golfers never achieve that level of skill in their lifetime.

Regarding your question, my opinion is that both clubs are worthy of your consideration but none of us can really answer your question. You need to hit them and see which irons suit your eye and swing. Unlike my decision chronicled in the players iron thread between the Bridgestone J36s and Mizuno MP 57s, your situation is different because the two clubs you are interested in are very, very different. One is cast and the other is forged. The I15 has a thicker top line and a wider sole, etc, etc.

You will find both Ping and Mizuno loyalists on this board so getting an unbiased opinion will be nearly impossible. You need to demo them.

Regards,

Blaine

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Thanks Blaine!

I'm going to be heading down to my local shop this weekend to try them out. But so far I'm leaning towards the mizunos because I love the classic iron look they have. Thanks for the props and the advice hopefully things will work out haha

Mat

WITB

Taylormade Light Stand Bag

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 X-Stiff Diamana Whiteboard D+72

Titleist 910 F 15 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3

3 Iron Adams Super DHY 21 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik White Tie Altus HX3

4-PW Mizuno MP32s Project X 6.5 

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled + SM4 DG S300

Nike Method Putter

I think a very good session hitting and comparing the clubs and seeing what's right for you feel wise is what you need to do.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 5 weeks later...

2 different set of clubs. Given that I'm a Mizuno fan my bias would be that direction. However I've come to realize that shaft fitting is perhaps the most important part to focus on when getting new clubs.

Be sure that you try out a number of different shaft offerings to find one that really suits your tempo and shaft loading characteristics!

as you can tell, i am a ping guy myself... whichever set of sticks you decide to go with, PLEASE GET PROPERLY FIT. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

I am a mizuno guy but that is because they fit me. Please take everyones advice and get fit and try them all out.

Callaway Epic driver

(Not delivered yet)

Titleist 917 D2 driver

Titleist C16 irons or

Callaway Apex16 irons

Callaway Apex hybrids

Scotty dual balance notchback putter

• SPY VIP

Also, if you can get an iron or two and take them out on to a course to play with rather than just range demo, you will be able to get a better feel for them.

Hopefully you can find a shop/course where this is possible.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived