#1 superduper

superduper

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Handicap:1

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

I'm looking for a JDM driving iron which made of titanium. Does this thing exist?

curious....

#2 superduper

superduper

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

Titanium long irons? 

#3 BIG STU

BIG STU

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members
  • 3,536 posts
  • LocationGarden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:25 AM

I don't know if they exist in the retail world but there are enough talented machinists in the golf world that could probably make you one

Driver Titleist 915 D-2 Mitsubishi Diamana 65 R
3 Wood Adams Super S--- Stock Bassara Regular Shaft
Hybrid--- TM Rescue Mid 19* Pro Launch Blue HY special

Hybrid ---- TM Rescue Mid 22* Stock TM tip stiff

2 Iron 19* 1999 Forged Hogan Apex S-300 non tipped butt cut only to 43" (yep a real Hogan when Hogan was Hogan)

Irons --- 5 thru PW 2013 Callaway X Forged Rifle 5,5 PXI Blueprinted

GW --- Callaway BECU 50* S-300

SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56* KBS wedge stock

Putter Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage Nicknamed "Rusty" because it is

Bag  TEE 3.5 stand for now

Redneck Hippie Golf Where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stops !

Founding Father Outlaw Golf Association member #1 to heck with the USGA

#4 jaskanski

jaskanski

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

Titanium alone would make for a rather weak driving iron. It needs a bit more mass (or volume) to make use of any of it's inertia. With this in mind, some irons exist with titanium either the main head material or a supplementary weight to redistribute the mass around the head to create a kind of perimeter weighting for more forgiveness. 

If you specifically have JDM on your radar, then PRGR make the "Egg" which is a strange looking beast which works quite well:

http://www.tourspecg...ut-utility-club

Alternatively if you fancy yourself as a bit of a player, then Yonex make a titanium core blade which looks like sex on a stick:

http://www.tourspecg...on-5-pw-6pc-set

..but the lowest loft version is a 21 degree 3-iron. Of course the older Mizuno MP-59 does this sort of trick too.

Like I said titanium doesn't really lend itself that well to iron/hybrid or even some fairway wood designs simply because of the weight - or lack of it. Titanium really only works with oversized (think maximum legal limit of 460cc) in driver head designs where weight is needed to be distributed over a much larger area (but still supplemented by tungsten weights often).

If I were looking for a driving iron from a JDM stable, then I'd probably opt for the A-Grind:

http://www.tourspecg...ind-golf-japan/

#5 superduper

superduper

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

Titanium alone would make for a rather weak driving iron. It needs a bit more mass (or volume) to make use of any of it's inertia. With this in mind, some irons exist with titanium either the main head material or a supplementary weight to redistribute the mass around the head to create a kind of perimeter weighting for more forgiveness. 

If you specifically have JDM on your radar, then PRGR make the "Egg" which is a strange looking beast which works quite well:

http://www.tourspecg...ut-utility-club

Alternatively if you fancy yourself as a bit of a player, then Yonex make a titanium core blade which looks like sex on a stick:

http://www.tourspecg...on-5-pw-6pc-set

..but the lowest loft version is a 21 degree 3-iron. Of course the older Mizuno MP-59 does this sort of trick too.

Like I said titanium doesn't really lend itself that well to iron/hybrid or even some fairway wood designs simply because of the weight - or lack of it. Titanium really only works with oversized (think maximum legal limit of 460cc) in driver head designs where weight is needed to be distributed over a much larger area (but still supplemented by tungsten weights often).

If I were looking for a driving iron from a JDM stable, then I'd probably opt for the A-Grind:

http://www.tourspecg...ind-golf-japan/

The titanium in a driving iron that I'm looking for is in the face material. Not just the inserts like in MP-59 or the tungsten weighting.  

I'm looking for extra distance for my driving iron since I don't game a 3 wood.  Can you suggest anything that can improve my distance in my driving iron?

#6 jaskanski

jaskanski

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

Other than less loft, longer shafts and swinging it faster? Not really.

Titanium in itself (as explained) isn't the solution to your perceived problem - even with face inserts.

Titanium is primarily used to get weight away from the face (which would otherwise be steel) so the perimeter weighting can be increased to provide greater MOI. The face can be thin enough to "flex" on impact to give a CoR effect, but the results on distance are pretty negligible. 

Most if not all previous designs of driving irons with any inherent titanium use have largely been dropped in favour of much more efficient and reliable hybrid and fairway wood designs these days - hence you will struggle to find something to fit your criteria. 

#7 superduper

superduper

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

Other than less loft, longer shafts and swinging it faster? Not really.

Titanium in itself (as explained) isn't the solution to your perceived problem - even with face inserts.

Titanium is primarily used to get weight away from the face (which would otherwise be steel) so the perimeter weighting can be increased to provide greater MOI. The face can be thin enough to "flex" on impact to give a CoR effect, but the results on distance are pretty negligible. 

Most if not all previous designs of driving irons with any inherent titanium use have largely been dropped in favour of much more efficient and reliable hybrid and fairway wood designs these days - hence you will struggle to find something to fit your criteria. 

I have thought about that... since the iron face is thick... the trampolin effect on the ball is minimal....  so according to you, using titanium on irons is useless?

#8 jaskanski

jaskanski

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

I have thought about that... since the iron face is thick... the trampolin effect on the ball is minimal....  so according to you, using titanium on irons is useless?

Judging by the pile of driving irons in the bargain basement bin or trying to be sold on shopping channel tv - pretty much. If you want to have a yardstick of what works and what doesn't in terms of tech or performance, then a glance into the bags of those who play for a living is usually a guide to what is relevant. If titanium in irons really had any credibility, then that's where you would find it.

#9 superduper

superduper

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

Judging by the pile of driving irons in the bargain basement bin or trying to be sold on shopping channel tv - pretty much. If you want to have a yardstick of what works and what doesn't in terms of tech or performance, then a glance into the bags of those who play for a living is usually a guide to what is relevant. If titanium in irons really had any credibility, then that's where you would find it.

people who play golf for a living are very good golfers. and I'm not...  you hand them the "Acer XK driver" and they will hit it 300 yards.....

#10 jaskanski

jaskanski

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

Another way of looking at it is that the rest of the golfing world is wrong and driving irons are a lot easier to hit for anybody (including pros) than hybrids and they should all be made from titanium.

Or alternatively, you may have to commission someone to build your coveted titanium driving iron to prove a point. Either way, I think you may be wasting your valuable time. Good luck in your search.

#11 Jmikecpa

Jmikecpa

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Handicap:+1

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

Tommy Armour made Ti irons like 20 years ago and they were large, took shovel to a whole new level. Not sure if there was any benefit to these but as said above you need a lot more mass to gain a benefit.

In the Bag

:titelist-small: 917 D3 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.5

:titelist-small: 917 F2 15* Diamana Blueboard 83x

:titelist-small: 818 H2 19* Tensei CK White 90x

:titelist-small: 712u 20* Fujikura Pro 95x

:titelist-small: 716 TMB 4 - PW TTDG AMT S300 Sensicore

:vokey-small: SM6 52* (F) & 58* (K) TTDG S300

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2

:titelist-small: ProV1x #45

:titelist-small: Staff Stand Bag

#12 superduper

superduper

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

Another way of looking at it is that the rest of the golfing world is wrong and driving irons are a lot easier to hit for anybody (including pros) than hybrids and they should all be made from titanium.

Or alternatively, you may have to commission someone to build your coveted titanium driving iron to prove a point. Either way, I think you may be wasting your valuable time. Good luck in your search.

Well driving irons are "easier" to hit than a traditional 2 iron (I have a Snake eyes 2 iron).  I don't know what you call the MP-H4.  Is it a driving iron?  Is it a hybrid?   But I can hit it as straight as a 7 iron.  And I don't play golf as often as the people who make a living playing golf.  I call myself lucky if I can play once a week.  Don't have the time and resource to play that often. 

I slice with my driver.  But my driving iron is as straight as an indian arrow.  When my swing is off, I pick up my driving iron and hit it as far as my 5 wood (200 yards).   Sometimes I want something that is a bit longer maybe about 15 yards longer. 

#13 johnmeeker689

johnmeeker689

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:07 PM

I totally love this version, but my current putter also make me satisfy and it seems very luxurious for me to pay .

Golf Club for Beginner Here

#14 AH1980MN

AH1980MN

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis burbs, Minnesota

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

Adams made a very iron-like hybrid using titanium a few years back...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

#15 fozcycle

fozcycle

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 5,861 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL USA
  • Handicap:17

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

How about these?

They aren't titanium but they look pretty solid.

https://www.bombtech...kage-pre-order/

Driver: Wilson Staff Triton with Aldila Rogue regaular shaft. Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler 19.0* with Matrix Red Tie Regular shaft set at 16.0* Hybrids: Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid with Bio Cell Regular shaft set at 17.5* Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 21*/25*/29*/33*/37*/41*/45* with Recoil 660 graphite shafts. Wedges: Ben Hogan TH15 /49*/53*/57* with Recoil 660 graphite shafts  Putter: EVNROLL E6 33" with Win grip Bag: University of Kentucky Bucket Cooler Cart Bag from Team Effort Balls: Snell MTB, Wilson Duo, Vice Pro Soft, Bridgestone 330RX. Glove: Bionic GPS: Garmin G6 Laser: MG GolfDriver.  Backup irons: Cobra F6 Tecflo 4-PW with Matrix Red Tie Regular shafts  Wedges: Cobra F6 PW/GW/SW with Matrix Red Tie regular shafts set at 2* flat.  Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi at 33".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      09 Nov
    golfovernight

he best players don't get overwhelmed with mechanical thoughts as they stand over the ball. They pick one feel-based thought and go with it. Steal one of these tour thoughts for some pre-swing clarity.

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors