Sign in to follow this  
Undershooter

A Real 1 vs 2 Back and Fourth

With Jordan Speith being seemingly the best player over the last few months and Rory being dominant last year, we could be in for a treat. What if Rory and Jordan become 1 and 2 in the world and have a real back and fourth for world number one? Everyone always begged for this from Tiger and Phil but it never really materialized due to Tiger's dominance. We could be in for a show with both of these guys early in the it careers and showing such good form. Is this wishful thinking on my part?

With all the younger guys starting to come into their own we may see something like the western conference in the nba where almost every team is on the elite level.

I do not think it is wishful thinking but more of an reality. I would like to see it would be great for golf period.

• Like 2

We just had a thread about a rival for Rory not too long ago and while Spieth was in the conversation, it was before his latest month of golf which has just been absolutely stellar. If he can keep this kind of play going, it's gonna be an awesome year for golf.

Also, it would be great to have another big 3/4 in Rory, Jordan, probly DJ and maybe Rickie or Day like we had with tiger, Phil, Ernie, and VJ.

A young American that would dominate the game of golf again would be huge for the sport. Two Americans would be better than an Irishman and an American. Sure Rory is good for global golf, but he's not Amercan. Nothing screams American like a good ole boy from Texas though.

• Like 1

A young American that would dominate the game of golf again would be huge for the sport. Two Americans would be better than an Irishman and an American. Sure Rory is good for global golf, but he's not Amercan. Nothing screams American like a good ole boy from Texas though.

Yee-haw!!!! 👍

I somewhat agree but golf needs to be grown everywhere. A back and fourth with a foreigner gives Americans someone to root against. Especially with the rider cup.

I somewhat agree but golf needs to be grown everywhere. A back and fourth with a foreigner gives Americans someone to root against. Especially with the rider cup.

Golf is growing globally. Just look at the LPGA tour, NCAA, and PGA tour. Always going to take more time for global growth though due to poverty and lack of GC availability.

I strongly disagree about the foreigner aspect. Ryder Cup isn't every year and is talked about the week leading up to, week of, and then the week after only. Very minuscule.

This has been some month for Spieth. For me the biggest question is whether or not Rory has the type of game that will allow him to win when he doesn't have his A game. So far he hasn't shown that ability. Conversely it will be interesting to see if Spieth can hang with Rory when Rory brings it.

Rather than head to head in tournaments this may well be a cumlative sort of thing.

It has great potential that's for sure. I'm excited to have an American to fill the Tiger/Phil void. Spieth/Bubba/Dustin could be lots of fun and a real contrast in styles.

• Like 1

Golf is growing globally. Just look at the LPGA tour, NCAA, and PGA tour. Always going to take more time for global growth though due to poverty and lack of GC availability.

I strongly disagree about the foreigner aspect. Ryder Cup isn't every year and is talked about the week leading up to, week of, and then the week after only. Very minuscule.

I totally agree that an American competing for #1 in the world is a good thing but Rory is also a good thing for golf. He is the only player with the ability to be the "Tiger" of 10-15 years ago. Speith gives the U.S. a shot at someone who can hang with that. The two dominating would be great for the sport.

Agree with what Rev said about Speith and Rory so far. The best part is they are only 21 and 25 respectively.

Everybody used to root against Monty.

The funny thing his that I have always liked Monte, he is an excellent player, and if you have ever heard him explain golf, or teach it he really good.
  • Like 1

The funny thing his that I have always liked Monte, he is an excellent player, and if you have ever heard him explain golf, or teach it he really good.

I have always liked Monte's game, but until he joined the Champions Tour, he came across as an ass to the U.S. crowds. His attitude fueled the fire. However, since he came to play on the Champions Tour and traveled around the U.S. by rental car getting to know people, his attitude has been completely different. He is actually quite funny, and still has a very good game.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to some battles between Spieth and McIlroy. I really hope it materializes and these two build at least something that resembles a rivalry.

With that being said, if they're both on their A game, I'm not sure Spieth can keep up. Much like Phil couldn't keep up with Tiger when they both had their A game.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to some battles between Spieth and McIlroy. I really hope it materializes and these two build at least something that resembles a rivalry.

With that being said, if they're both on their A game, I'm not sure Spieth can keep up. Much like Phil couldn't keep up with Tiger when they both had their A game.

The problem is that Rory doesn't have his "A" game very often, so although the rivalry may materialize, I don't think it will be anywhere near the Phil vs Tiger match ups, golf was more fun to watch when they both had their game on, and I'm sure that Jordan vs Speith will be just a fun to watch when they both have their game on.

I'm sure that Jordan vs Speith will be just a fun to watch when they both have their game on.

Kind of like Ditka vs a Hurricane eh? What if the Hurrricane's name is Ditka?

• Like 1