TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tried the Stockton Method...

A few mornings ago I caught the Golf Channel with Michael Breed. He was demonstrating the Stockton method of putting which served Adam Scott a win a week or so ago.

If you not familiar it involves a forward lean / press with the putter shaft.

Its suppossed to promote topswing and a more accurate track.

Damn if my first try from about 7' out didn't find the center of the cup. Continued applications were promising - the greens I play lean to a left/right below cup so you are always putting a draw.

There might be something to the technique. For whats its worth, I'm not convinced that it matters a whole lot from 20/30' out but up close it would appear to be a stroke to emulate.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I have putted with a slight forward press forever. I know some teachers no longer teach it but I was taught that way thirty five years ago.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

He told me a few things to help me but I just can't get the forward press to work. I like when he told me "after you strike the putt, find a mark under the ball" That keeps my head still which has helped a ton. I know he's the new latest-and-greatest but he's always been great. If you did everything he said, you would look funny like him when he putts :lol:

I think you have to take everything with a grain of salt. Phil Mickelson says he takes something from everyone he works with and makes it his own. I'm guessing he is saying that he may not do everything DS teaches him, but he takes parts of it and applies it to his putting style. I really have not followed DS's teachings, but I have always applied some forward press to my putting and it works for me. Helps keep from adding too much loft to the putter for me which results in a true roll.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

I think you have to take everything with a grain of salt. Phil Mickelson says he takes something from everyone he works with and makes it his own. I'm guessing he is saying that he may not do everything DS teaches him, but he takes parts of it and applies it to his putting style. I really have not followed DS's teachings, but I have always applied some forward press to my putting and it works for me. Helps keep from adding too much loft to the putter for me which results in a true roll.

H/G - thoughtful reply. You and Phil are right, being dogmatic never serves a person well with anything in life.

There does appear to something to it and any adjustment however small is always worth at the very least a try.

Slight threadjack, which I can do since its my thread, :) , saw that an acknowledged great putter (Brad Faxon) had a not bad day at the Nelson yesterday. Did not see close ups of stroke but does anyone here have an idea of his stroke method ?

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

H/G - thoughtful reply. You and Phil are right, being dogmatic never serves a person well with anything in life.

There does appear to something to it and any adjustment however small is always worth at the very least a try.

Slight threadjack, which I can do since its my thread, :) , saw that an acknowledged great putter (Brad Faxon) had a not bad day at the Nelson yesterday. Did not see close ups of stroke but does anyone here have an idea of his stroke method ?

rob

Faldo and McCord talked about Faxon yesterday. Faxon said he is such a good putter b/c he is not afraid to miss. Here is what I found on google:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/masters02/2002-04-11-faxon.htm

Just go for it

* "Don't be afraid to miss. It's the no-fear factor. Worrying gets you into trouble and ties you up in knots. You develop the yips by being afraid of missing. Don't think about it too much. Look at the line, and trust your first instinct. You can't be good at putting with too much conscious thought."

* "You need a good putter, a good stroke and a good attitude. Attitude is most important. There's never been a great putter who didn't have a great attitude. If I'm not in the right frame of mind, I don't putt well."

* "You need a consistent physical routine. That makes you more confident. I prefer if my body moves a little bit. Staying perfectly still cripples me."

* "It's like doing anything great in a sport: practice and believing in yourself. I wasn't always a good putter. I had one putting lesson when I was 16 or 17 from a local amateur player and that's it. But it frustrates me when people think I'm a "natural" and don't have to practice. I practice, and I think about what it takes to become a great putter."

i do the claw/ saw grip, this helsp promote the foward press also and takes the wrist out of play if i was going to teach someone how to putt from day one would be this style claw and forward press, but like someone said about be dogmatic take it as u want and apply it to ur swing

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Faldo and McCord talked about Faxon yesterday. Faxon said he is such a good putter b/c he is not afraid to miss. Here is what I found on google:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/masters02/2002-04-11-faxon.htm

Just go for it

* "Don't be afraid to miss. It's the no-fear factor. Worrying gets you into trouble and ties you up in knots. You develop the yips by being afraid of missing. Don't think about it too much. Look at the line, and trust your first instinct. You can't be good at putting with too much conscious thought."

* "You need a good putter, a good stroke and a good attitude. Attitude is most important. There's never been a great putter who didn't have a great attitude. If I'm not in the right frame of mind, I don't putt well."

* "You need a consistent physical routine. That makes you more confident. I prefer if my body moves a little bit. Staying perfectly still cripples me."

* "It's like doing anything great in a sport: practice and believing in yourself. I wasn't always a good putter. I had one putting lesson when I was 16 or 17 from a local amateur player and that's it. But it frustrates me when people think I'm a "natural" and don't have to practice. I practice, and I think about what it takes to become a great putter."

"You need a good putter, a good stroke and a good attitude. Attitude is most important."

I have used the forward lean on my putts for years. I have tried other things but always go back to it. I find it also helps firm up my wrists during the swing

Callaway Epic driver

(Not delivered yet)

Titleist 917 D2 driver

Titleist C16 irons or

Callaway Apex16 irons

Callaway Apex hybrids

Scotty dual balance notchback putter

Forward press has worked well for me as well. Lately I have been having some putting difficulties. Any thoughts on eye position over the ball? Is that something that should be there (eyes directly over the ball) no matter what method you are using? I have been trying standing a little further away (not much 1-3") which puts my eyes slightly inside the ball and I seem to be putting much better (stat-wise) but my concern is I may be doing something detrimental to my actual stroke to accommodate for the change. Any thoughts?

Driver: ADAMS Pro Speed 10 degree

Three wood: Orlimar Trimetal 12 degree with ProGold shaft

Hybrid: 18 degree Nike CPR

Hybrid: 24 degree Nike CPR

5-GW: ADAMS Pro Black CB1

SW: 56 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

LW: 60 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

Putter: Rossa Classic Daytona (Black)

Forward press has worked well for me as well. Lately I have been having some putting difficulties. Any thoughts on eye position over the ball? Is that something that should be there (eyes directly over the ball) no matter what method you are using? I have been trying standing a little further away (not much 1-3") which puts my eyes slightly inside the ball and I seem to be putting much better (stat-wise) but my concern is I may be doing something detrimental to my actual stroke to accommodate for the change. Any thoughts?

I also do a little better when my eyes are slightly inside the ball and target line ... some folks recommend this as well ...

http://www.golftipsmag.com/instruction/putting/lessons/set-up-like-a-pro.html

setuplikeapro.jpg

Unlike the golf swing, there are almost no centrifugal forces at work in the putting stroke. Therefore, whatever you do at address pretty much determines what you'll do with the putter during the stroke. In studying the best players on Tour, it's easy to find common denominators in both their setup positions and strokes. Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part, common traits run rampant in the setup positions of great putters. Specifically, they establish four key setup lines.

1. The first line runs from the eyes to the inside edge of the golf ball. When the eyes are in alignment over the inside edge of the golf ball, the player is better able to line up the putter to his or her target and visually track the line on which the ball will travel.

2. The second line runs from the shoulders straight down through the arms and hands. When the hands and arms are in alignment under the shoulders, the player can swing them back and through naturally, creating the optimal putterhead path.

3. The third line bisects the center of the hips and the heels. The proper alignment of the hips and heels creates balance and stability during the stroke. When a player is centered, stable and in balance, he or she can attain consistent, solid contact.

4. The fourth line is drawn from the puttershaft through the inside edge of the forearms. This line is achieved by placing the grip of the putter more through the palms than in the fingers. By aligning the shaft and the forearms, a single lever is created, resulting in optimal control during the stroke.

Flatten It Out

Establishing and maintaining a flat left wrist throughout the putting stroke is the key to rolling the ball consistently. For one, it keeps the left wrist from rotating, and if the wrist doesn't rotate, the putterface can't open or close. One thing you can do to encourage a flat left wrist in your putting stroke is to use a shorter putter (33 inches should do the trick). This will allow your left arm (and everything attached) to hang straight from the shoulder. Also, position the ball off the front foot. This will flatten the left wrist and help line it up with the outside of the left shoulder.

PGA professional Todd Sones operates the Todd Sones Impact Golf Schools at White Deer Run GC in Vernon Hills, Ill.

• 3 weeks later...

Moecat,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This helps a great deal and the picture helps as well. Greatly appreciated.

Driver: ADAMS Pro Speed 10 degree

Three wood: Orlimar Trimetal 12 degree with ProGold shaft

Hybrid: 18 degree Nike CPR

Hybrid: 24 degree Nike CPR

5-GW: ADAMS Pro Black CB1

SW: 56 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

LW: 60 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

Putter: Rossa Classic Daytona (Black)

• 5 months later...

Archived