Golf Pride - Grip Dominator?

Our Sponsors

Not entirely sure what this means, but I did find it interesting...

79 of the 97 players at the Masters - 81% - used Golf Pride grips (or, according to the press release, "trusted their games to Golf Pride").

26 of the top 30 finishers used Golf Pride.

The Tour Velvet was by far the most preferred, with 55 players using Tour Velvet - 3 times more than all the other grip brands combined.

And players using Golf Pride grips have won 85% of the last 20 major championships.  

What does it all mean??  Golf Pride certainly is the industry standard and the world's largest grip manufacturer, but does it mean their grips are far and away the best out there? Does it mean they have far and away the most money to get players to use their grips?  Well, we can eliminate that notion - Golf Pride pays no endorsement money to players to use their grips, nor do they have any bonus pool money or winners share money for the pros.  

From the Did Not Know That File -- Golf Pride is owned by Eaton Corporation, a $22.6 BILLION dollar outfit involved in everything from the aerospace industry to electronics, controls, automotive and plastics.  They're freaking HUGE!.  I see Eaton at the annual ASHRAE trade show for the HVAC industry (even won a Nike golf pullover at their booth one  year), but didn't know they owned Golf Pride.  

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I didn't know they don't give pay to play money, makes it a little bit cooler that so many pro's play them.

Two reasons I don't play them though.  They didn't have enough color selections when I was picking my grips and they wear out too quickly. 

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I seem to notice a lot of the guys using the multi compound grips when I watch. I'm a bit surprised the tour velvet is the most popular. I guess it's just perception since I use the multi compound. It's like when you get a new car and start noticing them all over the place.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I noticed Rory place the NDMC grips.  I liked them a lot, but agree with hcky that they wear out too fast.  Not wearing a glove might have something to do with that.  When you can have new grips put on every tournament if you like, I might still be playing them.  I'm sticking with my Pures.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think it is all in the feel to a person. Now I was always a cord man GP cords to be exact. When my fitter built my irons last year he had GP Tour Wraps on the prototypes and I liked them. When he built mine he used the same grips in fact I like them so much I switched my fairways ,driver and wedges to the Tour Wrap. Have had them on over a year and I practice and or play at least 5 times a week no wear yet and no slippage issues either and you guys know it gets as hot as Hades here in the summer. Just wash them off with mild soap (Johnson's Baby Soap) and water and the tackiness comes right back. I would say that GP is the leader in the grip industry because they have been in it since there have been rubber slide on grips.

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

Still gaming Lamkin REL's on my driver and fairways with Pure P2Wraps on my Mizuno's and SCOR's......liking the Pure's

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I think you guys are going to convert me to Pures and air installation before long.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I think you guys are going to convert me to Pures and air installation before long.

Pures are not the only grips that you can use with air, but I do like them.

As long as you are careful, many grips can be put on wth air. I even put a Best Grips leather on my putter with air. The only grip that I have been unsuccessful with so far is the Winn classic with the hard rubber end. Couldn't get it to seal enough to slip on.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks kenny,  I was wondering if I could air install other grips as well....was thinking I could.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Thanks kenny,  I was wondering if I could air install other grips as well....was thinking I could.

Forgot to mention... if you put a lot of wraps under the grip, it may be a little more difficult to get even the Pures on.  I just wet it with a little grip solvent; doesn't take much.  Goes on a lot easier. Definitely had to do that with the putter.

• Like 1

I've always like the Lamkin Mid size cord, but I just got a wedge that came with a NO1 grip that I'm REALLY liking A LOT.  Spendy (and I just re-gripped all my clubs) but I'm keeping the NO1 grips in mind, for the next re-grip.

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

Very interesting that they are owned by Eaton. I have some friends that work at Eaton Aerospace.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

I don't play GP because they aw getting to be way too expensive, at 11 to 12 bucks per grip, that's over 150 bucks for grips, more if you can't install them yourself, no thanks. I got the Lamkin UTX when they had the 2 for 1 sale, 4 bucks per grip, and I install them myself, air might seem to be nice bit I just spray the inside of the grip, slosh it around, and then saturate the tape and they slip right on, and I can adjust them if needed, they are ready to play in an hour or Two. I usually so my grips in the evenings so they are ready in the morning if I need them, it only takes about 30 minutes to do a set of irons, depending on how much build up tape you are using, I like to take my time to get the correct instead of just slapping them on

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind