Sign in to follow this  
Hula Rock

NIKE Method Prototype 006, released to the "public"

I've actually written Nike and requested they close my Nike account and cease all correspondence immediately via email, snail mail, phone, etc. I'm done with them. The release was a joke, bots snatched the majority up, and the ones that are supposed to release Friday in stores are already sold out. There were 200 released, there are at least 75 on eBay. Bots just like a Jordan release. These were extremely limited unlike Jordan's though.

I've bought their equipment since they started selling balls in 1999 and the clubs in 02' but this was a the last straw for me.

• Like 1

It's a legitimate gripe Rookie I can empathize.

What method of sale would you have recommended?

Me? How about a lottery based system verified through a credit card? Charge a buck then refund it.

• Like 1

It's a legitimate gripe Rookie I can empathize.

What method of sale would you have recommended?

Me? How about a lottery based system verified through a credit card? Charge a buck then refund it.

I'd have offered it to those who first posted on WRX they'd want one and have been continually posting in the 120+ page thread as well as being active posting in the twitter and Facebook campaigns that stemmed from WRX and is the reason this putter is released first. At least half of them, as over 900 people committed to buying, some have been saving money since it was first talked about over a year ago, etc. That thread and those of us that kept it alive and the twitter campaign alive that stemmed from that is why they're releasing that putter. By my count on there about 15-20 people there got one. 2 got theirs free. But yeah, that'd have been how is have handled the initial release. Nope, just release it to the bot running jack wagons to snatch up

So I missed out on this release and the order I placed a few days ago when it went up early? Got a cancellation email... Yeah... Tweet Nike for over a year about releasing this putter and then flippers all buy it out and those that helped get it released don't get it at all... I hope everyone that flips one wrecks their car and has to spend every dime on the repairs

That's the frustrating part.  I would like one to roll but half the people that did get them will have them on wrx and ebay within 24 hrs.  Same reason I got away from Scotty.  I used to collect and the limited stuff would sell out immediately then posted on ebay before they even had it in hand.

I think it would be a fair thing to do to hold a lottery.  Pay the money up front and if your number is not drawn you get a refund.  Same thing the NCAA does for final four tickets.

That's the frustrating part. I would like one to roll but half the people that did get them will have them on wrx and ebay within 24 hrs. Same reason I got away from Scotty. I used to collect and the limited stuff would sell out immediately then posted on ebay before they even had it in hand.

At least half of the ones sold this morning are on eBay. Over half have a sneaker as a profile picture so sneaker heads running bots. That's okay though, I've got a buddy that is a supervisor at google working on a chrome bot for the other limited golf site for me.

For the dummy of the bunch can you give a cliff notes version of how bots operate and work?

• Like 2

For the dummy of the bunch can you give a cliff notes version of how bots operate and work?

Basically, the sneakerheads (I talked to a buddy that collects jordans, he has over 200 pair and asked him about it after all this went down.  He has a bot he sometimes runs when he's not able to go the night before the release and pick his Jordans up from his connection at the shoe store that gets every Jordan release) have code written that runs in their browser, such as Google's chrome that run all the time.  These bots are constantly searching websites, twitter, etc for a ping of a keyword or term (twitter being the most common as that is where Nike tweets all of their links when items go live usually a few minutes before they go live so it directs you to the purchase link and has a countdown timer).  The way they work is once they get a ping, it clicks the link virtually, logs in and adds the item to the cart, reserving it all faster than a human can click.  From there there are a few options in how they set it up.  You can set it up to autocomplete all forms and complete the purchase and payment or you can set it up where it sends you an immediate notification where you go in and complete the purchase. Nike's site is notorious for this happening because of how it, specifically, is set up.  You get in virtual line, so as not to overload and crash their servers, to complete the payment.  The whole time, their site is setup so that as long as it's been added to the cart, it is your item in reserve while you wait in virtual line to check out (my step son wanted the latest Teal Retro 4 Jordans for his birthday is how I know this because I was able to get them but the quantities aren't nearly as limited as this was, 215 were released on Nike.com of these putters.).  Once it's your turn to pay, your cart comes up and you pay.  The end, you've made the purchase and the item is yours.  Your item is held in your cart for 30 minutes-1 hour until you complete the process or it times out and is released to the next person.  People sell these bots on blackmarket sites (which I found a few of today researching them) and they'll sell you a bot for anywhere from $10-$50 depending on the site it's for and all the functions it needs to do.

So these bots are running, scouring the internet and twitter looking for links of new releases to purchase.  They hold items in carts and either complete the payment automatically or the person gets on after getting a notification their item is reserved and pay for it.  I didn't know they existed until I talked to the sneakerfreak friend.  From there I went digging then contacted my buddy that works at Google and he explained it more in depth but still dumbed down enough for me to understand it.  

Oh, and the "retailers" that are getting them to sell on Friday? They're sold out already... And aren't supposed to be on sale till Friday.  I called all of them to ask what time they'd go on sale.

• Like 2

If you want an illustration of how many of the bot running sneaker freaks bought this putter, just check ebay (both current and completed listings) and check out the sellers.  Profile pics of shoes and completed listings of all kinds of shoes that are rare/limited.  Not hard to figure out who's who.

Scotty's site, on the other hand as an example, relies on human speed to purchase.  You can do things to speed it up such as type out your credit card number and copy it so you can paste it in quickly, but there's no fooling it and bots aren't on there killing sales.  You have to be logged in and sitting there refreshing like a madman at release time to get anything, honestly, and even then there's no holds, you can lose an item in the cart.  For example when he releases a bag, you better be on and waiting and add the bag and check out then come back for other stuff or you'll lose the bag during checkout. You pay shipping twice but you won't lose the bag every time.

Rookie, thanks for these details! Much appreciated and I'm sure others mayhave had the same question. Really gives depth to the complaint and spirit of the purchasers. What a joke. Thanks again Rookie

There's only one thing to do to take on the sneaker heads...

Have golfers buy up all the limited edition shoes upon release. Then we will have a hostage exchange. 

I knew this stuff goes down all the time but after seeing how quickly putters sell out, then magically appear on ebay, it's a real problem. Call it capitalism, etc, but yes...it's getting out of hand when you need bots to buy your stuff online.  

• Like 2

There's only one thing to do to take on the sneaker heads...

Have golfers buy up all the limited edition shoes upon release. Then we will have a hostage exchange.

I knew this stuff goes down all the time but after seeing how quickly putters sell out, then magically appear on ebay, it's a real problem. Call it capitalism, etc, but yes...it's getting out of hand when you need bots to buy your stuff online.

It's how Nike's site is set up that allows it to happen. Once an item is in a cart it's on hold for 30 minutes to an hour, reserved. Should be based on how fast you enter info but their carts hold things. And you're not beating sneaker heads on those releases. They have it down to a science with bots they sell for it that there's no way to beat as a human.

Guess their limited golf stuff will turn into the same thing their shoes have. An opportunity to get shot if you have it out in public.

Here's who all has sold out before they're supposed to even be on sale at retail:

Carl's Golfland

Discount Golf World

Golfsmith

Edwin Watts

Global Golf said theirs aren't for sale

TGW said they're not getting any (they were in their site on the 14th)

Golfballs.com initially said theirs were sold and when I asked how when they're not supposed to be available until tomorrow he said they're not for sale. Rude guy that answered the phone to boot.

FairwayGolfUSA didn't answer the phone.

GolfTown said they don't know if they're getting any and said they wouldn't know when they'd go on their site if they did (was gonna pay shipping from Canada if I had to).

Yeah pretty much if you want one, pay 3x the price or more

• Like 1

Saw one on the bay for 750 I think. I'm sure that's more than your wanting to pay though. I have to admit this is pretty stupid.