Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cell phones to be allowed during the U.S. open

Mr_Theoo

Is this good or bad?

I'm leaning towards bad because the general public has no control over their phones. There will be a phone going off during someone's swing and it may cost them a shot or worse.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think its about expectation. The guys at the Masters don't complain about the, often sudden, eruptions of noise from the crowds. I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet a part of that is because they expect it to come at some point so its not a surprise. A cellphone in an otherwise extremely quiet spot may have been traditionally, but if the expectation is there then the players can consciously try and tune it out. Just my opinion of course. In all, I think the players will make as much of a deal about it as they want to - I don't think it needs to be a big deal.

I think the reason they did it is because it is becoming harder for them to "police" it. I mean everyone has a cell phone these days and the mentality sadly has become "if I can't take my phone with me I ain't going". It may cause some problems for a while but I think in due time the players will adapt to it. Of course if I was playing in it and it bothered me I wonder how legal real good ear plugs would be? I mean a player could put them in while hitting a shot and then pull them out to converse with other players,caddies,fans or officials

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The Masters goes soft to "Bubba-proof" Augusta and now the USGA is allowing phones in to "Bubba-proof" the course (if a phone goes off somewhere on the course, he WILL hear it and it WILL distract him). Most disliked guy indeed!

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

MASHED POTATOES!! (Btw I can't STAND the shout out brigade)

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I think its about expectation. The guys at the Masters don't complain about the, often sudden, eruptions of noise from the crowds. I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet a part of that is because they expect it to come at some point so its not a surprise. A cellphone in an otherwise extremely quiet spot may have been traditionally, but if the expectation is there then the players can consciously try and tune it out. Just my opinion of course. In all, I think the players will make as much of a deal about it as they want to - I don't think it needs to be a big deal.

I fully agree it's this and Big Stu's comment. It's very difficult to police and even if people intend to turn their phone off they sometimes forget. The smart player will learn to live with occasional noises and distractions.

Does anyone know the current tour policy? I was shocked at the Valspar. I always put my phone on vibrate at public venues. I have to carry it and it buzzed at me there. When I checked it was my office. I went to a volunteer, explained that I was a ministered and he said, no problem, you can use your phone anywhere that's not near play. Just stop talking if the no talking signs go up.

I was shocked! I was also ridiculously upset when it turned out that it was not an emergency. Mi had told my office what I was doing and we have an associate pastor. This is exactly why I will be getting a new administrative assistant. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev I do not know what type of sound system you have in your church but a cell phone can reek havoc with a digital system as in cordless mikes and countryman system. Both churches I run sound for are now asking people before services to please turn their cell phones off and they even have to explain why. To me it is appaling that the respective ministers and clergy have to do that. I do not even carry mine into church period it stays outside in my truck during services. They can also play havoc in general with analog systems. I am going to get on my layman pulpit on this statement but here goes: I just cant believe that people cannot go without their cell phones in a worship service in the House of The Lord!! Rant over now wheew I feel better now. (slowly gets big butt down off of layman's pulpit)--- Sorry just had to rant on that

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived