Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How It Works - "PGA Player Endorsements"

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

nascar-golf.jpg

600_light_brown_dots.jpg

Nascar-ization of Golf or Will More Right Sleeves Be Blank In 2009?

Anybody that has seen John Daly walk the fairways in recent years...is witness to what a human billboard looks like in the game of golf. For the most part this type of advertising was reserved for the Nascar industry. Where even a square inch on a dashboard cam is worth a couple years salary to most.

But in recent years the trend seems to be catching on in golf as well . And golfers aren't complaining...not only are the great golfers finding lucrative contracts from sponsors but many golfers who struggle on the tour are as well. Many of the journeyman are finding out that there left sleeve is worth more then their actual golf game can earn...and especially if they are in contention for a major.

Here are some numbers to give you an idea of how lucrative the right arm of many golfers are worth. And if you ever wondered why we have to wear collars to play this game...look no further. But I wonder if the economy will have a lot more players sporting blank sleeves in '09...what do you think?

Hat

($75,000 and up)

Many players make the hat they'll wear part of a clubs-balls-bag-apparel deal. As a rule of thumb, the front of the hat, with its prime TV exposure, makes up half the total value. Tiger's cap is part of a clothing deal with Nike worth $29 million a year. Semi-star Luke Donald got about $1 million a year to wear Mizuno's logo on his cap, but that amount could quadruple if he wins the Masters. Golfers sell the sides of the cap for less than half as much as the front, and the back for as little as one-tenth.

Right Sleeve

($10,000 to $1 million)

This sleeve is less precious than the left because it gets less TV time, but some marketers prefer it because it shows up on a right-hander's follow-through. For lefty Phil Mickelson, whose right side faces the target, this is the million-dollar sleeve.

Chest Pocket

($25,000 and up)

The best real estate south of the ears. You can get a no-name for the minimum, but even such second-tier stars as Luke Donald and John Daly (well he could) can command $250,000 or more for over-the-heart coverage.

Shoes

($10,000 to $30,000)

Footwear is cheaper than you'd think until you stop to think: You see shoes on TV only when a golfer goes into a hazard.

Back of the collar

(up to $650,000)

Jim Furyk signed a three-year, $2 million deal to wear a Johnnie Walker logo here. (That's Johnnie Walker menswear—hard-liquor logos are a no-no.)

600_light_brown_dots.jpg

#TruthDigest

Shoes

($10,000 to $30,000)

Footwear is cheaper than you'd think until you stop to think: You see shoes on TV only when a golfer goes into a hazard.

That one actually surprises me a bit -

Yesterday I, how could you help not to, noticed the bright orange shoes that Ricky Fowler was wearing.

For some reason I always seem to see Sergios shoes and the Adidas ones, with the 3 stripes which I don't care for, certainly are visable.

Just checked the F/J roster - you'd have to think that Camillo and Ian Poulter would be commanding a bit more...

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Interesting stuff. Sure beats me paying $20 to wear a Callaway hat. I don't see the PGA guys having anything to worry about soon. But the Nationwide, LPGA and Champions Tour players have to worry about their future.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I have a good acquaintance who plays the mini-tour events. Not bad,but not good enough to play the big time.

He has a straight up deal with T/M only has to pay for his putter...I am in love with his Bettinardi Black Carbon B)

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

My golf spy, do you agree on endorsing me?

I can wear your logo on my hat, shirts, shorts and even my socks, for just $100 a month. And given the great golfer that I am, you are certainly to gain from this. What do you think? :lol:

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

This was an awesome read!!! I have always wondered about this. I gotta hit the range. Work on my game and get me a sponsor :D You'd think all the free equipment and personal attention would be enough for these guys...

Shoes

($10,000 to $30,000)

That one actually surprises me a bit -

Yesterday I, how could you help not to, noticed the bright orange shoes that Ricky Fowler was wearing.

For some reason I always seem to see Sergios shoes and the Adidas ones, with the 3 stripes which I don't care for, certainly are visable.

Just checked the F/J roster - you'd have to think that Camillo and Ian Poulter would be commanding a bit more...

rob

Camillo for sure... even the bottom sole for when he gets down into his Spidey position!

Archived