Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Precept Laddie X right ball?

leftyj13

been playing this ball for 2 years now, love it,  last couple months I tried the chrome soft and the TM tour preferred,   did see much difference, maybe a little more bite on the green,   but some people say my swing speed is too much for the X  at 107-109,  but in my opinion  the past 2 years i've dropped my hdcp 11 strokes, and I feel less spin on the driver with them,    so are balls a head game?  can a certain ball really make that much of difference?  I don't mean rock flights to pro v-1's

any help

Thanks

Ken

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 9.5 adjustable X stiff

Irons: 4-Sw Callaway XR stiff

Wedges: Sw-Lw Tour Rusty Cobra

Putter: Taylor Made Daddy long legs 38"

balls: Taylor Made Aeroburner soft

Is any ball going to drop 11 strokes off your handicap?  Absolutely not.  Will playing with the same ball for 2 years allows you get a great feel for it and adapt your game accordingly?  Absolutely yes.

Regardless on whether the Laddie X is the right ball for you, it's a ball your very comfortable with and understand exactly how it's going to react.  Once you get consistency in any facet of your game you can play it.

A different ball might be similarly low spin off the driver and might get you more spin around the greens and on approach shots, but if you're happy and the price is right then stick with it.

Also if you are interested in trying a new ball and don't want to pay the price of a Pro-V (or other OEM's equivalent) you should check out this article.  http://www.mygolfspy.com/direct-to-consumer-golf-ball-buyers-guide/ There are plenty of options for great tour level balls that don't cost $45 a dozen.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

There is no doubt that there is a difference between golf balls, they vary ball to ball.  Having written that I wouldn't even begin to take someone else's unsolicited advice about what ball to play.  Why is it not the right ball for your swing speed?  Plus there are factors other than swing speed that impact what ball might be the best one to play.

More important are the factors listed by our esteemed MoM.  I understand experimenting with different balls from time to time - new ones come out, it's always nice to try something different just to see but in the end I think the biggest bit of foolishness is to switch balls round to round or week to week.  Pick one and use it.  There are plenty of other variables to deal with in golf.  When I pull my B330 RX out of the bag I know what it's going to do so long as its properly struck.  For 3 plus years I knew what the Nike One Tour D was going to do when it was properly struck.  You know how your ball is going to perform and you have built a game in part around that ball's performance.  Why change unless you test and see that something else is demonstrably better suited to your game?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There is no doubt that there is a difference between golf balls, they vary ball to ball.  Having written that I wouldn't even begin to take someone else's unsolicited advice about what ball to play.  Why is it not the right ball for your swing speed?  Plus there are factors other than swing speed that impact what ball might be the best one to play.

More important are the factors listed by our esteemed MoM.  I understand experimenting with different balls from time to time - new ones come out, it's always nice to try something different just to see but in the end I think the biggest bit of foolishness is to switch balls round to round or week to week.  Pick one and use it.  There are plenty of other variables to deal with in golf.  When I pull my B330 RX out of the bag I know what it's going to do so long as its properly struck.  For 3 plus years I knew what the Nike One Tour D was going to do when it was properly struck.  You know how your ball is going to perform and you have built a game in part around that ball's performance.  Why change unless you test and see that something else is demonstrably better suited to your game?

Absolutely agree with Rev.  I always try out different balls, usually in the winter or early spring, just to see if they feel better or react differently (read better) than my current ball.  For years I was a ProV1 player and got used to them.  Then I switched to Srixon Z-star and got used to them.  This last winter, based on other MGS'ers reviews, I tried the MG Tour C4.  This is my ball for this year and I am getting used to it now.  The key is what Rev said: You know how your ball is going to perform and you have built a game in part around that ball's performance.

Once you know how a ball is going to react, you can trust it to be repeatable, as long as you are repeatable!  If you love the Precept Laddie X and you know how it plays, why would you want to change? 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks Guys,   I was trying different balls to see a difference.  as for swing speed it says 90 mph or less for the best use of this ball,  but if works for me don't change it.

it's funny when doing LDA events they give us rock flights to hit

IN MY Callaway Staff BAG

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 9.5 adjustable X stiff

Irons: 4-Sw Callaway XR stiff

Wedges: Sw-Lw Tour Rusty Cobra

Putter: Taylor Made Daddy long legs 38"

balls: Taylor Made Aeroburner soft

Archived