Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Visiting Edel Golf Today - Any Questions?

Mornin' fellow GolfSpies!

Will be visiting Edel Golf HQ outside of Austin, TX today.  Any questions for David Edel and the rest of the gang?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This probably goes without asking but - do they have plans on expanding their fitting network at all? I live in Columbus, OH and while it's not the biggest golfing city in the world it's certainly not the smallest. I have to drive at least 3 hours for a wedge fitting (which truthfully I'm willing to do) but of course would prefer not to.

Thanks! With that being said I'm a huge fan our their products and really wish I had access to more!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I'm curious why they won't put certain alignment aids on certain putters. Such as their refusal to put a siteline on their Anser shape for cleanliness.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

How do they feel they can differentiate themselves from Hogan? Based on price point, it appears they are after at least a portion of the same golfer market. Being less than 4 hours from Ft. Worth, Whats the strategy to not just be the "other" club makers in Texas?

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

This probably goes without asking but - do they have plans on expanding their fitting network at all? I live in Columbus, OH and while it's not the biggest golfing city in the world it's certainly not the smallest. I have to drive at least 3 hours for a wedge fitting (which truthfully I'm willing to do) but of course would prefer not to.

Thanks! With that being said I'm a huge fan our their products and really wish I had access to more!

Spoke with Rob Gallagher - their national sales manager - about this.  Rob is a fitter as well, so this is a topic close to his heart.  

Here's what I gleaned from his response -- Edel is a pretty small company and they work all the time on expanding their network of fitters. It's a process - they don't just want fitters, they want fitters who'll support their brand and their way of doing things.  My sense is they'd rather have no fitter than a bad fitter or one who uses their fitting system and just sells other putters.  

That said - they know where the holes are in their network and they're trying to fill those holes - but they don't want to rush into it without vetting their new "partner."  Takes time -- but I can't stress enough - this is a small outfit that hand-crafts all their putters.  It was a VERY cool process to watch. 

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Can they still make a Vari-Loft for me? Wanted one for half decade now… :(

They have some stock left -- but not much. May or may not work out.  Give Rob a buzz... :ph34r:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm curious why they won't put certain alignment aids on certain putters. Such as their refusal to put a siteline on their Anser shape for cleanliness.

They can put alignment lines on anything - depending on what the customer wants.  Some of the models - specifically their "Classic" lines - don't have alignment lines as standard, and depending on the model may not be all that simple to add lines. They can do it, maybe at an extra charge, but they can do it.  They don't refuse to -- they may refuse to do it for free, but they don't refuse to.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

How do they feel they can differentiate themselves from Hogan? Based on price point, it appears they are after at least a portion of the same golfer market. Being less than 4 hours from Ft. Worth, Whats the strategy to not just be the "other" club makers in Texas?

I'm not sure they consider themselves in competition with Hogan...Edel will focus primarily on custom-built and customized putters and wedges, and have a pretty thorough and unique putter fitting system. They also have an interesting wedge system, with a variety of grinds and other options.  

They also have irons, but that is more of an emerging part of their business - we'll probably see more of them in the future, but now their core focus is on putters and wedges, and their core competencies are fitting and customization - everything from stamping, laser engraving and paintfill.  

From my perspective, they're more of a "boutique" brand -- you get an Edel because you want what they have to offer.  Hogan, on the other hand, is playing a somewhat different game -- focusing on iron and wedge sets.  Yeah, they want to custom fit you, but I think their target audience is a little different.  Not sure if that answers your question but when I spoke with Rob (the sales manager), he wasn't sure how to answer it because he really didn't look at Hogan as a competitor from whom they'd need to differentiate. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Got lots more information during the visit -- David Edel is a true personality in the industry. My impression is that he's a pretty sharp guy and an innovative thinker.  He's not looking to conquer the world, but just carve out a niche for his ideas and products, and help anyone who wants to play better.  

I asked him directly what he thought the realistic life span of a "boutique" outfit like his would be -- he said he's been at this for 18 years -- he's lasted this long basically because he didn't quit. What I appreciated is that his product evolutions have followed evolutions in his fitting system, rather than the other way around, if that makes sense.  The product evolves as more is learned about how the brain works, how the eyes work and how all of that relates to how an individual putts.

Another great moment -- he said if he made me a totally customized putter, based on an extensive fitting process, it would be a great putter --- for me.  If I gave it to a buddy to try he probably wouldn't like it, because it wasn't made for him.  The fitting process was that personalized -- everything from the loft to the offset to the headstyle and to the type of alignment markers on the putter.

We found a setup I could align perfectly.  Then for fun they used a sharpie to draw a single alignment line on the back flange -- I couldn't align or aim it at all.  Rob erased the single line and drew two parallel lines, farther apart, on the back flange.  I could aim it perfectly again.  Tried an 8802 putter as well - with no marks I could align it perfectly.  Rob put a single dot on the top of the blade -- it threw my aim way off.  David said "looks like that one little dot just kicked your ass!"

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great visit. Very jealous as i've become quite a fan and will hopefully shortly play some of their wedges. The DGR grind they have is just awesome.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Great information John. Much appreciated. My ultimate goal is to go through their putter fitting.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

They can put alignment lines on anything - depending on what the customer wants.  Some of the models - specifically their "Classic" lines - don't have alignment lines as standard, and depending on the model may not be all that simple to add lines. They can do it, maybe at an extra charge, but they can do it.  They don't refuse to -- they may refuse to do it for free, but they don't refuse to.  

There's a user on WRX that has one of the original limited release.  They told him they'd put a site dot on the topline or would give him a line on the topline but they flat out refused to put a siteline on the flange that he wanted because they said it'd have to taper and to them it wouldn't look great.  Sounds like they refused to me according to someone that bought direct from them.  (That putter is their Anser shape).

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

There's a user on WRX that has one of the original limited release.  They told him they'd put a site dot on the topline or would give him a line on the topline but they flat out refused to put a siteline on the flange that he wanted because they said it'd have to taper and to them it wouldn't look great.  Sounds like they refused to me according to someone that bought direct from them.  (That putter is their Anser shape).

All I can tell you rookie is the answer Rob Gallagher gave me directly -- second and third hand stories are what they are, but I read Rob your question directly from the webpage and that's the answer he gave me. Perhaps said person did not want to pay extra for it?  According to Rob, depending on the design, adding a line or lines isn't as simple as one might believe, and their Anser model may be one of those designs. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

All I can tell you rookie is the answer Rob Gallagher gave me directly -- second and third hand stories are what they are, but I read Rob your question directly from the webpage and that's the answer he gave me. Perhaps said person did not want to pay extra for it?  According to Rob, depending on the design, adding a line or lines isn't as simple as one might believe, and their Anser model may be one of those designs. 

It could be that it was a prototype and they didn't want to alter it.  I don't know. The guy said he tried to order it there when he placed his order so I don't know.  Just saying what he said was the case.  Don't know how or why they'd have to taper it and I'd imagine any of the guys that alter putters such as Tom Slighter would have no issue doing the siteline.  I just found it odd that it was described that they flat out refused to put it on the flange and offered to do a site dot or line on the topline but not where he wanted it. That's why I asked.

In The Bag

It could be that it was a prototype and they didn't want to alter it.  I don't know. The guy said he tried to order it there when he placed his order so I don't know.  Just saying what he said was the case.  Don't know how or why they'd have to taper it and I'd imagine any of the guys that alter putters such as Tom Slighter would have no issue doing the siteline.  I just found it odd that it was described that they flat out refused to put it on the flange and offered to do a site dot or line on the topline but not where he wanted it. That's why I asked.

I can get you a more detailed version of is response when I get home and transcribe the interview. He was pretty detailed - what I'm giving you know is coming from memory.  As they say, the devil is always in the details... <_>

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived