TESTERS WANTED! ×

5 Best Holes You Have Played

JohnBarry

Great topic in the forums about the best 5 holes you want to play, so lets change it up and list the best 5 you have played, and try to make everyone jealous!:

5. Tobacco Road Hole 1, a very imtimidating tee shot to begin a very memorable round of golf!

Tobacco-Road-Hole-1-Tee.jpg

4. Farmstead (North Myrtle Beach) 18th, a Par 6 that starts in South Carloina and ends on the green in North Carolina!

farmstead 18.jpg

3. Oyster Bay Hole 3, aligators, water, island green, marsh and great course with lots of highlight holes!

Oyster_Bay_Island_Green.jpg

2. Myrtle Beach National: North Hole 6, The Gambler: Par 5, with a fairway island in the middle of the water that you can get to the green in 2 great shots, if you gamble.

Kings-North-6.jpg

1. Caldonia Myrtle Beach 18th: The hole is the one you will never forget, on a course you will never forget. Over water into the green, with a throng of people on the back porch of the club house watching, cheering, or jeering at you, depending on your shot. A lot of pressure!!

caledonia-hole-18-green.jpg

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Thats a great list.  I have played all of them.  

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

These are maybe most memorable as opposed to best which I guess makes them the same...

5.  #18 at Carnoustie.  Cue Van De Velde...exterior.jpg

4. Postage Stamp at Royal Troon.  Made a bogey.

IMG_3266_edited-1.jpg

3. #18 at St. Andrews.  What a magical walk over the Swilcan bridge finishing in front of a crowd of tourists.

18th%20Hole,%20Swilcan%20Bridge,%20St%20

2. #17 at Sawgrass.  Best shot I have ever hit.  140 yard 9 iron with a little helping breeze over the pin,  rolled back to 8 inches.

sawgrass17.jpg

1. #16 at Bandon Dunes....  Most beautiful site I have ever seen on a golf course....

BandonDunesNo16_wide_close_0.jpg

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Too many holes really. Some are very famous. My favorite all time hole though is a Par 5 on a delightful little course formerly known as LaGrange Country Club in Lagrange, Indiana. 500 yards, through a narrow chute of trees with OB left, trap right for the long guys. Negotiate that and it's a mid Iron in. Reachable in 2, even for me but the green is well guarded by traps, tree and lake in front. Tough shot with those mid irons, tougher with a fairway wood but exciting risk reward opportunity for almost any better player and a tricky three shoter too. Any score from 3 to ? It's in play.

Just a great golf hole.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

top 5:

1) Hominy Hill NJ number 16. The thing is nearly 200 yards from the whites. 10 yards behind the green is OB. There used to be trees that guarded the bunkers but have been removed. There's nothing special about it other than it was a really tough hole and one my dad always raved about. 

2) Charleston Springs South 8 - it's a hole that is a par 5 and double dog legs right. My favorite part is that it's tree lined or used to be the entire way. It's a really secluded hole and my favorite part is the last 100 yards which features a 30 foot drop and a huge green that makes for some really fun putts. I love that course just for that hole.

3) Got to go with number 16 on Wolf. That's the replica of the famous island hole at sawgrass except they made it longer and the green bigger. 170 yards from the blues makes for a really hard drive. I've parred it and bogeyed it after putting one in the drink.

4) Pine Brook GC#8 IT's a par 5 on an exective course. It's over 500 yards. The hole is nothing special other than my demon hole where I've only shot bogey. A truly demanding tee shot requires you to put it between two bunkers in the fairway, at 200 yards. Go 225 and your in the woods. The same with left. I've only seen a few golfers cut the corner (mainly because most golfers there are beginners). after that another bunker greets you right where you want to lay up on the right and trees line the left. The green is massive and slopes considerably meaning it's a tough putt. The hole plays a special part because of my history with it.

I've yet to play a lot of famous courses, but once I do I'm sure a lot will bumped out.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

How did you like coming in on 18 and having the crowd on the porch?

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

How did you like coming in on 18 and having the crowd on the porch?

18 at Caledonia.... a tough pin placement is back right and you hit your approach shot, short left in front of the green. If you hit that MONSTER putt short and 3 jack it, you will surely hear it from the patio crowd.....   :)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

18 at Caledonia.... a tough pin placement is back right and you hit your approach shot, short left in front of the green. If you hit that MONSTER putt short and 3 jack it, you will surely hear it from the patio crowd.....   :)

Tough hole.  Always have to go for the middle of that green.  Every course should have a clubhouse with a space for a patio/deck crowd on #18.  There is nothing like sitting out there having a beer and watching people play in, especially if you are playing against them.  

Of all the courses in my area, there is only one that has a deck above the 18th green looking at the entire 18th hole.  You want to be in the first group off #1, not the last!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived