Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Arturo Fuente

revkev

I've enjoyed all the cigars I've had in ths line. Finally tried a Hemmingway Short Story tonight. I may just get a box.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Have they ever made a bad cigar?   Not in my experience.

The interesting thing is that with the pending normalization of relations with Cuba, Fuente probably won't be hurt much.   Not so with the duplex Cuban brands.  Full reciprocal recognition of IP rights between Cuba and the US could have horrific consequences for non-Cuban Cohibas, Montecristos, Romeo y Julietas et. al. that expatriated a Cuban brand name in 1960 and continued to use it in competition with the Cuban original.   How the lawyers must be licking their chops over those lawsuits to come!   Or maybe we'll see some reconsolidation.  Wouldn't that be interesting?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

The interesting thing is that with the pending normalization of relations with Cuba, Fuente probably won't be hurt much.   Not so with the duplex Cuban brands.  Full reciprocal recognition of IP rights between Cuba and the US could have horrific consequences for non-Cuban Cohibas, Montecristos, Romeo y Julietas et. al. that expatriated a Cuban brand name in 1960 and continued to use it in competition with the Cuban original.   How the lawyers must be licking their chops over those lawsuits to come!   Or maybe we'll see some reconsolidation.  Wouldn't that be interesting?

I'm not sure it's the death of non cuban cigars. Sure the rush would be in a year for Cubans but I think part of the allure was how illegal they were. Once you can get them, it's going to be up to the manufactures to continue making great cigars regardless of country. Where this hurts is the middle of the pack non Cubans. To get any market share you will have to make great smokes to set yourself apart from the cubans. Just my thoughts.

My favorite one got discontinued which is unfortunate, but I've really enjoyed Padrons for awhile now.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I got a coupon from ABC liquor so I picked up 4 of the next larger sized Hemmingways. Just a great smoke. I am definitely going for a box of the short stories the next time I place an online order.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I got a coupon from ABC liquor so I picked up 4 of the next larger sized Hemmingways. Just a great smoke. I am definitely going for a box of the short stories the next time I place an online order.

I'm a huge fan of online auctions. I'll use the locals to see if I like something then buy the box online for a deep discount. Glad someone else is like me as well.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

the problem with short stories i

it is going to be a very interesting for Altidas and General Cigar if the embargo is lifted since they own the US version name of their Cuban counterpart.

Short stories are OK.....  Work of Art is better.  I was a big fan of the "Between the lines" line long ago........

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 10 months later...

Just ordered a box of the "Best Seller" Hemingway.  Taking a trip to the Keys in a couple months and figured "what better cigar".  As far as the embargo...I just hope that the prices drop on non-Cuban premium cigars.  While my experiences with authentic Cubans is limited, I wasn't all that impressed.  Good..yes.  But I wouldn't say superior.  I'll wait for the hype to subside (and the price).

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Just ordered a box of the "Best Seller" Hemingway.  Taking a trip to the Keys in a couple months and figured "what better cigar".  As far as the embargo...I just hope that the prices drop on non-Cuban premium cigars.  While my experiences with authentic Cubans is limited, I wasn't all that impressed.  Good..yes.  But I wouldn't say superior.  I'll wait for the hype to subside (and the price).

Perfect! I love the short story out on the back porch on a warm summer night. It's also the perfect smoke for a FFB draft.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Hands down one of my favorite Short Perfecto cigars was the Opus X chili pepper....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Never tried the chili pepper.  Loved the Lost city though.  Does Fuente still offer it?

I have not seen any in shops for a long time.  Closest you can find is probably a Opus Power ranger, strength wise....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Fuente makes some of the best sticks around. I'm a big fan of the sweeter flavor profiles that their cigars offer. As has been mentioned, a great alternative to AF is Oliva. The Serie V is a phenomenal smoke. Talk about creamy goodness!

Driver: Taylormade R1, Aldila Trinity (Stiff)
3-wood: Taylormade Aeroburner, Matrix Speed RUL-Z (Stiff)

3-hybrid: Bridgestone J40, Project X (6.0)
4-PW: Cobra AMP Cell Pro Irons, KBS Tour (Stiff)
Gap Wedge: 52 degree Cobra Tour Trusty

Sand Wedge: 56 degree Callaway Forged

Lob Wedge:  60 degree Miura Forged
Putter: Nike Method Core Blade, AKA SILKY SMOOTH!

I honestly think that the prices won't really change much for NC sticks. Like you, I enjoy Cubans, but honestly their non-Cuban counterparts can be just as enjoyable. Although I will say that my favorite smoke is the (Cuban) Por Larranaga Petite Corona. I went through 20 of them within 3 months or so. Most of the Cubans I've had have been more peppery than I would prefer.

Driver: Taylormade R1, Aldila Trinity (Stiff)
3-wood: Taylormade Aeroburner, Matrix Speed RUL-Z (Stiff)

3-hybrid: Bridgestone J40, Project X (6.0)
4-PW: Cobra AMP Cell Pro Irons, KBS Tour (Stiff)
Gap Wedge: 52 degree Cobra Tour Trusty

Sand Wedge: 56 degree Callaway Forged

Lob Wedge:  60 degree Miura Forged
Putter: Nike Method Core Blade, AKA SILKY SMOOTH!

Don't get me wrong..Ill have some cubans in the humidor if the embargo is lifted.  But my go-to smokes will remain.  I've been on an AB Prensado kick for a while.   I scored a couple boxes from Thompson's auction site cheap.  Though I will say....Every now and again when I order from them I notice a musty/moldy smell on the sticks.  I always put them in my smaller humidor for a couple months to make sure I don't introduce mold in to my main.  But they always end up being fine.  Its almost like they "over" humidify them for shipping...Who knows.

I honestly think that the prices won't really change much for NC sticks. Like you, I enjoy Cubans, but honestly their non-Cuban counterparts can be just as enjoyable. Although I will say that my favorite smoke is the (Cuban) Por Larranaga Petite Corona. I went through 20 of them within 3 months or so. Most of the Cubans I've had have been more peppery than I would prefer.

I respectfully disagree 1000%  If given the choice to either smoke a ISOM Por Larranga or a NC Por Larranga.........  ISOM all the way.  Apples to Oranges.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I am a bourbon drinker.  For years I've tried to get my hands on a bottle of Pappy.  Tried it a few times and was in utter amazement.  Last year my cousin, who is a KY native scored me a bottle of the 15 yr old variety.  I was like a kid on Christmas.  I couldn't wait to crack it open.  Poured myself 2 fingers and took my first drink.  It was good, but not how I remembered/imagined.  For the money I wish I had stocked up on Blanton's, or even Maker's Mark.  Perhaps my tastes aren't as mature as the aficionados, but one knows what one likes.  In my opinion (which isn't worth the non-existent paper this is written on) Cuban cigars are an example of supply dictating demand.  I have smoked some fantastic Cubans, and I am 100% certain that there are even better ones out there. But I can't help wonder if there was an embargo on the Dominican Republic, or Nicaragua that those wouldn't be the sticks to smoke..  In addition:  If the embargo lifts tomorrow, and a few weeks later I find cigar nirvana in a Cuban, I will log back in and edit this post so that there wont be electronic proof that I'm a hypocrite.  :D   

Archived