TESTERS WANTED! ×

My new Odyssey counterbalance putter

fbluhm

Finally got to the point where I realized I needed a little extra weight on my putter to help steady my hands and stroke. I've been a Cameron guy for many years, so I checked out the counterbalance version of the SC Newport Select 2.5 I've been using. I really didn't want to pay $400 for it, so I checked out some alternatives.

While at the San Antonio Golfsmith, I asked my golfTEC guy what he thought. He recommended the same putter he had recently purchased - the Odyssey Works #1 Wide Tank putter, which lists for $200. It's a compact heel-toe weighted blade with a wide flange, Versa high contrast alignment, Tank counterbalance, and double bend shaft and full-shaft offset. I got the 35" inch length. It comes standard with a Super Stroke grip. 

Thanks to the extra weight, my stroke is much firmer and steady now. As a result, I can honestly say that my putting has improved nearly 50%. Weight-wise, the putter feels the same to me as the scotty Cameron for $400. And since I've had four Cameron's, the brand no longer holds a novelty factor for me.  

Anyway, just a quick note on my new putter. I also recently purchased my first Hogan wedge (60 degree). Unlike my Titleist SM5s, Hogan wedges are forged. I'm hoping they will have the same soft feel as my irons.

PS... I'm still hitting my Nicklaus balls as well, if not better, than my ProVs. Have decided to go with them this year.

IMG_0236.jpg

Good stuff. I just got the Odyssey Works Tank #7 in 35". I played yesterday and today with it and so far the results have been nothing short of amazing. Really loving the feel and stability.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Good stuff. I just got the Odyssey Works Tank #7 in 35". I played yesterday and today with it and so far the results have been nothing short of amazing. Really loving the feel and stability.

That's great to hear. #7 is a counterbalance, too. Right? How do you like the Super stroke grip? I'll tell you what... I could have paid twice as much for the Scotty Cameron version and not putted any better than I do with the Odyssey. I'll probably take that $200 I saved and get another Hogan wedge. 

That's great to hear. #7 is a counterbalance, too. Right? How do you like the Super stroke grip? I'll tell you what... I could have paid twice as much for the Scotty Cameron version and not putted any better than I do with the Odyssey. I'll probably take that $200 I saved and get another Hogan wedge.

Yep it's counterbalanced. I really like the SuperStroke grip so far. I've installed a few for friends but it's my first time using one. I like that it's the mid-size version. Not too big but big enough to lighten up my grip pressure.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

• 1 year later...

Finally got to the point where I realized I needed a little extra weight on my putter to help steady my hands and stroke. I've been a Cameron guy for many years, so I checked out the counterbalance version of the SC Newport Select 2.5 I've been using. I really didn't want to pay $400 for it, so I checked out some alternatives.

While at the San Antonio Golfsmith, I asked my golfTEC guy what he thought. He recommended the same putter he had recently purchased - the Odyssey Works #1 Wide Tank putter, which lists for $200. It's a compact heel-toe weighted blade with a wide flange, Versa high contrast alignment, Tank counterbalance, and double bend shaft and full-shaft offset. I got the 35" inch length. It comes standard with a Super Stroke grip. 

Thanks to the extra weight, my stroke is much firmer and steady now. As a result, I can honestly say that my putting has improved nearly 50%. Weight-wise, the putter feels the same to me as the scotty Cameron for $400. And since I've had four Cameron's, the brand no longer holds a novelty factor for me.  

Anyway, just a quick note on my new putter. I also recently purchased my first Hogan wedge (60 degree). Unlike my Titleist SM5s, Hogan wedges are forged. I'm hoping they will have the same soft feel as my irons.

PS... I'm still hitting my Nicklaus balls as well, if not better, than my ProVs. Have decided to go with them this year.

I like the Odyssey tank putter feel too.   When you get a little older the heavier weight helps steady the stroke.  It doesn't make you Dave Stockton over night but it will improve your consistency over those short feel putts.   Good on you for going with the Odyssey at half the price of the Scotty.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived