Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

FAT! PHAT! FAT!

I prefer the PH!

Ok so, This winter as I was getting LM numbers for the Paderson review I also spent time trying to get solid muscle memory for 40-60 pitch shots. The dome by my place is about 65 yards so it was perfect.

Or so I thought.

I got really good at distance control within the dome.....on a mat......that gave me a false sense of getting really good.

See, I have been out three times this year and every shot within 80 yards has been fat going half to 3/4 of the distance I need it to go.

Has anyone else experienced the "dig effect" from hitting on mats all winter?
How do I get rid of this?! I tried placing everything in my right pocket in my left pocket and turn my hat backwards and I am still Phat shoting it around the course.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

I had the same problem. Just keep playing and get some range time on grass when you can. You'll work it out.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Make sure your posture is correct. I find when I start hitting these fat, my posture has gotten lax and I've slouched/squatted more. Make sure your posture hasn't gotten lazy.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The only way I know to avoid it is to really pay attention to what your hands are telling you as you hit off of a mat.  Its easy sometimes to have it feel a little funny but look at the flight of the ball and decide it was OK.  If it feels funny it probably was - even of flight looks OK.

I have a SkyTrak machine now and the spin number tells the story as well.  Spin tends to be low on one you skipped the club into.  But this is really nothing that my hands do not already tell me.

I try to turn it around a little.  I think its harder to hit it clean off of a mat than turf.  The turf itself gives you a little margin for error that most mats don't have.  I try to get good at hitting it clean off of a mat and then turf will be not problem.

For now I agree that it will work out.  Check the basics to make sure you didn't fall into a bad habit or two.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I have the same problem every year. I tend to be very steep in my swing so when I get on a mat it lets me get that steep with less penalty. Once I get on turf I have to almost completely relearn my swing. I'm learning year by year though how NOT to do this. Just take some practice time on the range and feel your swing out and you should be good.

Also getting some video or someone (even lessons) to watch you helps you see the problems too.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

• 2 weeks later...

What helps me is looking directly in front of the ball. If your swing is steep like you say, you should pick it a little better or cleaner and your divot should be in front of the ball

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Archived