TESTERS ANNOUNCED! - BEN HOGAN GOLF FT. WORTH 15 IRONS/TK 15 WEDGES

Our Sponsors

There's going to be a LOT of interest in these reviews!

• Like 1

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll reiterate what I said when I was notified... Holy s***! That was literally my first thought. I actually got an email alert while standing in line paying for the Callaway PM Grind wedges I posted

I have a novel idea. Let's focus on congratulating the testers.   This is going to be a pretty cool experience for them and I'm really looking forward to hearing what these guys have to say.  

Bribery, while generally frowned upon in polite society, is perfectly acceptable here    Seriously, there are a TON of outstanding applications.  Hope you guys are enjoying the process. Love readin

Posted Images

There's going to be a LOT of interest in these reviews!

Tru Dat Bill -- we've had more talk here about the Hogan resurrection in the past 6 months than any other equipment brand. Will be awesome to hear what people think once they get them into action.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

In this instance, I think it is an effect of many factors coming together.  SCOR generated a lot of discussion and interest. Koehler is a polarizing guy, but he loves golf and is a huge equipment nerd that aligns closely with the Hogan image. With what he and Eidolon have done to date, you had some good buzz growing, then you expand to the iron market from just the wedges you add another level of buzz.  In many ways, acquiring the branding rights to the Hogan brand was a master stroke, because it assigns an air of legitimacy to a brand that had established itself in the 'gear head' market, and was making inroads into the golf at large market place, but that market is a tough nut to crack. 

The desire to get into that market while retaining the custom, upper echelon identity was always going to be tough using either the SCOR or Eidolon branding. Slap the Hogan name onto a product that lives up to the standards of the Apex? Instant market credibility. 

The only question right now for most of us is simply, does the product live up to the name? If it does, then this is a HUGE win, for everyone.  If it doesn't, it could still pay off for Eidolon, in the long run, but it may be harder to get there in the short term.

When you put all of that together, you have a perfect storm of interest for the gear-centric golfers, which this community has no lack of :)

• Like 1

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 18.0 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ Hogan GS53 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W Hogan GS52 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X

The Hogan line is something that needed to be recreated. I've admired their clubs for quite some time, but never played them. I play blades because I want the feedback [not because my game is that good - but when you hit one pure --- butter]. Based on what they seem to have created, it looks like a good replacement for my irons. I would love to take them out for a test drive. It seems that they are being purests to the Hogan tradition of perfection. And they are in my neck of the woods.... love it that they came back to Texas to start production again.

hoganfit.jpg

Tom Helwick

Handicap 20

What Hogan Means to Me

Back in 1964 I was a twenty year old just learning the game of golf mainly from Hogan's 5 Lessons. That summer I took a road trip to Columbus, Ohio where the PGA Championship was being played at Columbus Country Club. It was Sunday and the last round and the eventual winner was Bobby Nichols and he was paired with Ben Hogan. Standing next to the ropes at the 17th tee I waited with anticipation as Hogan and Nichols came off the 16th green and strode up to the tee box, I was mere 2 feet from the 'The Hawk' as he took drags on his cigarette, steely eyed with no idle chatter. He took a 2 iron from his bag went through his pre-shot routine and then absolutely striped that 2 iron to the center of the fairway............wow, I was speechless and in complete awe. Now 51 years later as a 72 year old I still play with my 20 year old Hogan PC irons which retain that classic look and feel the Hogan designed into them. That's what Hogan means to me, I'm a fan and a disciple.

Hogan Specs

Shaft KBS Tour 90 Reg

Grip Ben Hogan Performance Plus

Lie Standard

Grip Size Standard

FW-15 Irons                      TR-15 Wedges

Loft        Lie       Length          Loft         Lie       Length

20          59          39               48           64          35.5

24          59.5       38.25          52           64          35.25

28          60          37.5            56           63          35.25

32          61          36.75          60           63          35

36          62          36.25

40          63          35.75

44          63.5       35.5

Tom

Handicap-3

Hogan means the search for perfection.

For some reason the shaft I chose is the kbs v tour stiff but the regular shows up.

Congratulations, Chris. Here are 'Your Hogans'
Your new Ben Hogan Fort Worth 15 irons and TK-15 wedges are shown here, along with your specifications for shaft, length, lie and custom specifications, if any. Building your irons and wedges with the same shaft and specifications will improve your feel and performance. 

Feel free to add or delete clubs from this order form, or explore other changes. When you have 'your Hogans' the way you want them, you can proceed to checkout or save your order for future reference and purchase. 

Thank you for trusting your iron and wedge play to the 'new' Ben Hogan. 

Please review the options and club selections before placing your order.
TheHoganPromise.jpg
Shaft: 
             Ben Hogan Standard Shafts (starting at $149) KBS Tour V Stiff             KBS Tour V X-Stiff KBS Tour 90 Regular             KBS Tour 90 Stiff             UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F2 A-Flex (+$15 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3 Regular (+$15 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4 Stiff (+$15 per club)             Optional Custom Shafts KBS Tour C-Taper Stiff (+$15 per club)             KBS Tour C-Taper Stiff Plus (+$15 per club) KBS Tour C-Taper Lite Stiff (+$15 per club) Nippon 850 GH Regular (+$10 per club) Nippon 950 GH Regular (+$10 per club) Nippon 950 GH Stiff (+$10 per club) Nippon Modus Tour 130 X-Stiff (+$20 per club) True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 X-Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper XP 95 S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper XP 105 S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F3 Regular (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4 Stiff (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F4 Stiff (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5 X-Stiff (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 65 A-Flex (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 65 Regular (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 85 Regular (+$25 per club)    
Length: 
 -1 -.75 -.5 -.25 Standard +.25 +.5 +.75 +1 +1.25 +1.5    
Lie: 
 3 Up 2 Up 1 Up Standard 1 Flat 2 Flat 3 Flat    
Grip: 
 Ben Hogan Performance Plus Ben Hogan Performance Plus Midsize Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black 58 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black 60 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black Midsize (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Black/White 60 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Black/White Midsize (+$11 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 58 Round (+$10 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black Midsize (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 60 Ribbed (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Black 60 Round (+$9 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black 58 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black Midsize (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Red 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G White 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord White/Black 60 Round (+$10 per club) Lamkin Crossline Black/White 58 Round (+$5 per club) Lamkin Crossline Full Cord Black/White 58 Round (+$5 per club) Lamkin Crossline Full Cord Black/White Midsize (+$5 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Black 58 Round (+$7 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Black Midsize (+$7 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Red 58 Round (+$7 per club)    
Grip Size: 
 Standard +1 +2             +3    
FW•15 IRONS
Include 
in Order

Loft
Lie
Length
Price

bh_club.jpg
 20 21 22 23    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 24 25 26 27    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 28 29 30 31    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 32 33 34 35    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 36 37 38 39    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 40 41 42 43    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 44 45 46 47    
$149

FW•15 Irons Subtotal:
$1043

TK•15 WEDGES
Include 
in Order

Loft
Lie
Length
Price

bh_club.jpg
 48 49 50 51    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 52 53 54 55    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 56 57 58 59    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 60 61 62 63    
$149

TK•15 Wedges Subtotal:
$447

Additional Notes:
Order Summary 
Items:
$1,490.00

Shipping & handling:
    Select    Ground ($14.95)     

Order Contact Phone #:

Shipping address state:
    Select    Alabama    Alaska    Arizona    Arkansas    California    Colorado    Connecticut    Delaware    District Of Columbia    Florida    Georgia    Hawaii    Idaho    Illinois    Indiana    Iowa    Kansas    Kentucky    Louisiana    Maine    Maryland    Massachusetts    Michigan    Minnesota    Mississippi    Missouri    Montana    Nebraska    Nevada    New Hampshire    New Jersey    New Mexico    New York    North Carolina    North Dakota    Ohio    Oklahoma    Oregon    Pennsylvania    Rhode Island    South Carolina    South Dakota    Tennessee    Texas    Utah    Vermont    Virginia    Washington    West Virginia    Wisconsin    Wyoming 

Estimated tax to be collected:
$0.00

Order total:
$1,490.00

Thank you for completing HoganFit. Your prescription is now saved, and can be retrieved at anytime.

Tour Issue M1 440 10.3 GD TP 7x

RBZ 14* Black tie Stiff

TMB 2 GD ad di 95x

Mizuno Mp5 c-taper 130x

Vokey TVD's 52, 54, 58 m-grind TI s400

Ping Sigma Kushin Orange Dot

TP5X

I wonder if they'll be the all time butter knife...

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Hogan fit prescription

Kbs tour v stiff Std lenght lie 1up std size hogan performance grip

21 59 39

25 60.5 38.25

29 61 37.5

33 62 36.75

38 63 36.25

42 64 35.75

46 64.5 35.5

50 65.5 35.5

55 65 35.25

60 64 35

your handicap about 5

The Hogan name means a great golfer with tons of iconic photos. I hope the new Hogan clubs live up to the name

Hogan Fit Results

Shaft: KBS Tour V X-Stiff

Length: Standard

Lie: 1 Up

Grip: Ben Hogan Performance Plus Midsize +3

FW 15 Irons & Wedges

22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58

Hogan Fit Experience

Hogan Fit seemed to be an innovative approach to getting pre-fit for clubs, before you even hit them.  It could become a model for the industry, and reminds me a little of the very old days when Ping had a fitting insert in various golf magazines.  Hogan Fit was extra interesting to me because I've played Hogan Apex Edge (circa 1990) for over 10 years.  The system did a pretty good job overall, but didn't register that I had Wedges of 52, 56, and 60 already.  It acted like I had none.  The system was easy to walk through and provided an detailed map and game plan for fitting whereas most others don't communicate clearly to the player exactly what loft numbers they need up front.

Handicap

9.6 but falling consistently over the past four years as my equipment has improved, including a reshafting of my current Hogan irons from Hogan Apex 4 to X100s.

Hogan Meaning

I share a birth date with Ben Hogan.  I own about 10 books on Hogan, including the beautiful oversized The Hogan Mystique, which I stare at over and over again.  I've studied his “secret” and continue trying to put it all together. 

I'm extra curious about these new irons because for my money the Hogan Apex Edge irons that came out around 1990 are the best all around set of irons ever made.  Period.  They are the most accessible, best feeling, most versatile set ever made with arguably the best iron shafts ever placed into any club for any golfer at any level.  I've pushed three family members in the direction of those irons and all of them still play them and love them today, but all want to know what I think of the brand new Hogan.

I want to see if these irons match up to that standard, and how they take it beyond that for the better player that is still trying to dig it out of the dirt like Ben Hogan once did, sunset after sunset.  In a word, the Hogan name means “passion” for the game.

Hoganfit:

hoganfit2.jpg

Handicap:  Right now, about 10.  Back when I played my last set of Hogans, it was about 4 (a few years ago).

I have always loved Hogan clubs.  The top line is appealing to the eye, and I always felt confident with them.  I had a set of Apex irons, 2-W.  Loved them.  Maybe it was mental, but I felt I played better knowing one of the best golfers in the history of the sport designed these clubs.  When I found out Hogan wasn't making clubs anymore, I searched and found me a set of Apex irons.  Brand new, still wrapped, they were a few years old, but I got them for cheap.  That didn't matter.  The technology in these clubs (designed almost 10 years prior to purchase) was still better than any new clubs I had hit.  I could bomb the ball, work it either direction, and making solid contact felt like slicing through butter with a hot knife.  I could play every shot, and had the confidence that even a tiny mis-hit wouldn't result in catastrophic failure.  I played with them for 4 years, until I got married, was golfing less, and figured I needed a little more forgiving club.  However, I had a tough time getting used to, what I felt, was a less-advanced club, and ultimately switched to the Titleist MB's I play now.  They aren't nearly as comfortable as my Hogans were, but until I saw these Ft. Worth irons, I never thought I'd have an opportunity to get back to the best clubs I've ever hit.  

Being able to play the new Hogans is something I've been waiting for.  The chance to play the best players club out there, get back that old confidence, and most of all, score better, is why I feel I should be a tester of the new Hogan Ft. Worth 15 irons and TK 15 Wedges.

Shaft: kbs tour v stiff

Length: + .5

Lie: 1 up

Grip: lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN black midsize

FW•15 IRONS

FW•15 Irons Subtotal: $1071

TK•15 WEDGES

TK•15 Wedges Subtotal: $459

Order Summary

Items:

$1,530.00

My hogan fit was great. Only thing I tweaked on a little bit was my wedges. Other than that I think they hit the nail on the head. And I like how they let you change the lofts and tweak if you want.

Handicap 8

And for the name Ben Hogan, he is an icon. Arguably the best player of all time and had so much knowledge about the swing and how it worked. Ive watched his swing countless times and tried to replicate parts of it into my own swing. He was always said to be a perfectionist when it came to club building and I hope the new company can reproduce that perfectionism.

The online fitting process was really great. I thought it was very thorough and I really liked the breakdown of the my current set vs. what the Hogan set would be and what the different make-up would mean for my golf game. 

Current Handicap: 15

"Hogan" means quite a bit to me. Being from Texas and sharing a first name with him, Ben Hogan was someone whose amazing life story and golf legacy originally attracted me to the game of golf. I also use Ben Hogan as a source of hope because I too suffered a serious injury that kept me away from golf for a long time. When I think of "Hogan" I immediately think of crisp, pure ball-striking and really "owning your swing." I often lean on Hogan's "Five Lessons" book whenever I am struggling with any issues in my game. Being able to test the irons would be a dream come true and make me feel closer to my golf-idol. I am also very interested to see the impact of increasing the number of "scoring zone" clubs to my set.

Hogan.JPG

Ben Hogan Standard Shafts (starting at $149) KBS Tour V Stiff             KBS Tour V X-Stiff KBS Tour 90 Regular             KBS Tour 90 Stiff             UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F2 A-Flex (+$15 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3 Regular (+$15 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4 Stiff (+$15 per club)             Optional Custom Shafts KBS Tour C-Taper Stiff (+$15 per club)             KBS Tour C-Taper Stiff Plus (+$15 per club) KBS Tour C-Taper Lite Stiff (+$15 per club) Nippon 850 GH Regular (+$10 per club) Nippon 950 GH Regular (+$10 per club) Nippon 950 GH Stiff (+$10 per club) Nippon Modus Tour 130 X-Stiff (+$20 per club) True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 X-Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper XP 95 S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper XP 105 S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F3 Regular (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4 Stiff (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F4 Stiff (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5 X-Stiff (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 65 A-Flex (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 65 Regular (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 85 Regular (+$25 per club)    
Length: 
 -1 -.75 -.5 -.25 Standard +.25 +.5 +.75 +1 +1.25 +1.5    
Lie: 
 3 Up 2 Up 1 Up Standard 1 Flat 2 Flat 3 Flat    
Grip: 
 Ben Hogan Performance Plus Ben Hogan Performance Plus Midsize Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black 58 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black 60 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black Midsize (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Black/White 60 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Black/White Midsize (+$11 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 58 Round (+$10 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black Midsize (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 60 Ribbed (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Black 60 Round (+$9 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black 58 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black Midsize (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Red 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G White 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord White/Black 60 Round (+$10 per club) Lamkin Crossline Black/White 58 Round (+$5 per club) Lamkin Crossline Full Cord Black/White 58 Round (+$5 per club) Lamkin Crossline Full Cord Black/White Midsize (+$5 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Black 58 Round (+$7 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Black Midsize (+$7 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Red 58 Round (+$7 per club)    
Grip Size: 
 Standard +1 +2             +3    
FW•15 IRONS
Include 
in Order

Loft
Lie
Length
Price

20 21 22 23    
$164

24 25 26 27    
$164

28 29 30 31    
$164

32 33 34 35    
$164

36 37 38 39    
$164

40 41 42 43    
$164

44 45 46 47    
$164

FW•15 Irons Subtotal:
$1148

TK•15 WEDGES
Include 
in Order

Loft
Lie
Length
Price

48 49 50 51    
$164

52 53 54 55    
$164

56 57 58 59    
$164

60 61 62 63    
$164

TK•15 Wedges Subtotal:
$656

Hello! My handicap is a 9.

What "Hogan" means to me:

It's hard to say something that hasn't been said before.  Words like "perfection", "secret", and "iconic" are used in such a way that only really embodies the public perception of Ben Hogan being god-like.  

What I take from Hogan's legacy is the work ethic behind it.  I don't strive to swing exactly like Hogan, but I do strive to work as hard as he did.  To me, the "secret" is something different for everyone.  It is up to myself to find what makes me a better player by grinding it out in the trenches and to never stop learning about my swing, and more importantly, my game.

Thanks for the great opportunity MGS!

hoganfit.jpg

Driver -- Nike Covert 2.0 Black 

3w -- Ping Anser 14*

3h -- Nike Covert 2.0 Tour

Irons -- Adams CMB 5-GW w/Nippon NSPro 950

Wedges -- Miura Forged 55*, Miura K-Grind 1957 60*

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball -- 3up 3f12

Wow, I have been thinking about these for months. Definitely not enough reviews out there for them, and without having physical clubs for testing makes it hard for anybody to experience.

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 14.05.57.png

I have a 20 handicap and it keeps going down.

Even though I didn't start playing golf until 3 years ago, my love for it has been there since I was a little kid. Since then I have seen players come and go. There are a few names that have always been there and Ben Hogan is the first as my uncle (he introduced me to the game) tried every single time for me to emulate his beautiful swing. So for the last three years (or first three years whichever way you want to see it) I have been practicing his method. I want to think of Ben Hogan Golf as the company that will always follow the same theory as Mr. Hogan. No shortcuts on equipment and the thought that with the right work anybody can reach certain potential. I love it when a company gives me the confidence that I can use their equipment with the right work into it, but also adopting new technology into their equipment without turning it into crutches. Sure I want to be able to play really good, but I prefer to do it with a company that pushes me to be better instead of one that just patches my flaws.

I have been a student of the Hogan swing since I was 10. I am 70 new, so I have been reviewing his methods for sixty years. I have taught many golfers, newbies and practiced golfers for more than 50 years. I have bought over 30 dozen of his Five Basic Lessons books for anyone I have helped.I wrote him when he was alive when I had just ordered a set of his company's new Apex irons. He was gracious to repy with an autographed letter I framed and treasure.His name stands for integrity and value, earned with honest work and dedication to his craft. You KNEW where he stood in shotmaking, because ALL the other pros, from Palmer to Nicklaus to Player and everyone else stopped practicing when he showed up on the practice tee and watched him practice until he stopped. They never went back to their practice until he stopped. The sound of his shots from the turf were different. His distance control was the best I have ever seen in my lifetime.If the new company carries the same integrity as I knew he had, I would be very glad to try the irons in detailed practice and play and I would submit a detailed analysis of 3wch club, the overall set, their performance, feel, and coconsistency from club to club.Here are the Hogan Fit results:Shaf -- Mamiya Recoil 660 F3 Regular shaftlength +.5, lie 2 flatGrip -- Ben Hogan Performance Plus +2FW*15 ironsLoft. Lie. Length 21. 57. 39.5 25. 57.5. 38.75 29. 58. 38 33. 59. 37.25 37. 60. 36.75 41. 61. 36.25 45. 61.5. 36TK*15 wedges 49. 62. 36 53. 62. 35.75 57. 61. 35.75 60. 61. 35.5Patrick.Thomas.Sr@gmail.com

Ol' Stick

My HoganFit Results:

HoganFit.jpg

My HoganFit experience was fairly good.  This would certainly be a great start toward a custom fitting.  I was custom fit for the Mizuno MX-200s in my bag today, so that's how these were spec'ed out at 2* flat.  Just for grins, I ran another trial without indicating that I'd been custom fit, and the irons came out to be standard lie.  I don't want to go back to aiming 20 yards right of my target on every shot, so I know I'd need a custom fitting by a trained fitter in addition to the HoganFit.  I was a bit surprised that HoganFit did not ask for a wrist-to-floor measurement or something similar to help estimate length and lie.  On the plus side, I did not need to get up from my couch to complete the process.

My Handicap:

My index is 6.6 at the current moment, up from a low of 5.9 at the beginning of the year but down from my high of 7.2 from last year.

What the Hogan Name means to me:

It's impossible to disagree with the other entries.  Quality, precision, excellence, all of those things sum up Ben Hogan.  But to me, Hogan means… pride.

I'd played with my grandfather's hand-me-down irons (old Wilson Staffs) from the time I started until I was a junior in high school.  Once I could break 80, Pop decided it was time for me to have a new set of irons.  I could pick out anything I wanted.  I knew exactly what I was going to get.  The best players at the club where I worked played the Hogan Apex.  And the new Apex Redlines had just come out.  That was my pick.  I didn't think twice about it.

They were less like a set of irons and more like jewelry to me.  Absolutely gorgeous.  And Mr. Hogan was right.  The feel of a well-struck shot really did go up the shaft, right into your hands and into your heart.  I'd had a pretty good year on the course with them, but because of schedules, I didn't get to play with Pop until late in the fall of that year.

My grandfather had been quite a player in his day, hovering around scratch for quite a while.  Even in his 60s, he still held a single-digit handicap.  I received no strokes that day; we'd play even-up.  After some pretty good play in a hellacious wind, I held a nervous one-shot lead on Pop walking to the 18th tee.  The 18th hole at Hominy Hill is a pretty stout finish, nearly 400 yards, uphill and dead into a pretty strong wind that day.  I managed to neck one off the tee and somehow find a piece of the fairway, about 180 yards from the green.  I roped a three iron onto the front of the green, a long, long way from the hole but putting.  Pop two-putted for his par; I still had a shaky three footer to seal the deal.  

As my par putt fell into the hole for a 79, Pop walked over to me and put his arm around me.  I'd never seen anyone so happy to lose by a shot.  â€œI'm so proud of you,” was all he said.  And so began a 20 year love affair with the Ben Hogan company. I played the Redlines for eleven years, until I decided I needed something easier to hit.  So I replaced them with the Apex Plus, which stayed with me another nine years.  I'd have followed them up with another set of Hogans, but the brand was a shell of its former self by 2009, and I couldn't bring myself to buy any of the garbage that Callaway put out with the Hogan name on it.

I nearly cried when I saw the new Ft. Worth 15s earlier this year.  They're so reminiscent of my beloved Redlines (the blade-on-blade design is stunning), but brought forward into the 21st century.  I'm thrilled to see that the Hogan team is building Hogan clubs again.  I hope they do the name proud. 

HoganFit.jpg

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I would absolutely love the opportunity to test these clubs and would devote myself to providing useful feedback for the MyGolfSpy Community. As a Mechanical Engineering Major at TCU pursuing a career in Golf Club Engineering, I believe that my perspective and knowledge fit the desires of my fellow readers very well.

HoganFit:

HoganFit.JPG

Handicap:

As a college student, I haven't kept my handicap very well. However, when I was keeping track more dutifully it was at 5.4, although I would say I play more to a 6 or 6.5 now.

Hogan:

When I think of the name Ben Hogan; the first thing word that comes to mind is mythological. As Hogan was well before my time, I never had the opportunity or the pleasure to witness his greatness. However, the thing that makes Hogan so fascinating is that there exist so many anecdotes and stories about his accomplishments, his personality, and his challenges. The photo of Hogan's shot with a 1-iron at Merion is so immortalized and widespread that the viewer has no choice but to revel in the spectacle of an event which mostly takes place in their minds. Then there are the stories of his courage and resilience after the devastating accident. Overcoming such insurmountable odds made him an American hero, while anecdotes about his often private personality would lead one to believe he would not have survived as a star in the contemporary era. Hogan represents so many ideals in the minds of golfers, especially those like me who idolize him. He stands for toughness, bravery, class, honor, precision, competition, intelligence, integrity, and excellence. The weight that this one man's name carries is so immense in our culture. The brand that bears his mark has expectations unlike any other because of his story, and I hope that this new regime lives up to them.

My BH club fit as attached.

Ben Hogan means...golden standard in modern golf swing which everyone trying to master.  However, more I read and hear his interviews, he wants the everyone to develop their own swing from his fundamentals.  Rather than copying his swing, which I think a lot of folks try to do.  I tried and tried...then one day, it dawned on me that his swing motions should be bases for everyday swing.  That is what I am working on.  That is who Ben Hogan is to me.  FUNDAMENTALS and Foundation.

Andrew BH club.JPG

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

Growing up, everyone had their favorite golfer. Jack Nicklaus. Tiger Woods. Phil Mickelson. Rory McIlroy. Arnold Palmer. For me, it was always Ben Hogan. To this day, I am still playing golf with Ben Hogan 1983 Apex II Black Cameo irons. From age 16 until age 28, I played wih the Ben Hogan 1979 Apex II White Cameo irons, and fell in love with the feel and the craftsmanship of the blades. I still play with a Hogan Sure-In 2 putter. I switched out to the 1983 irons, and for the past 4 years, they have been wonderful. I wear Hogan clothing, Hogan shoes, Hogan hats, and play with Hogan balls. Ben Hogan is one of the best golfers of all time, and definitely the purest hitter of all time. I am currently a 13 handicap, and am looking to drop into the single digits. I am looking to perhaps purchase the new Hogan irons, to see if they have the same feel as my Apex IIs, but would be honored to be a tester. Ben Hogan's name is synonymous with PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT, and I would do my job of practicing with them, and reporting back to both the MyGolfSpy community and Ben Hogan Golf after each round. Also, living in the Phoenix, AZ area, I would have opportunities to test out the Hogan irons on hundreds of courses throughout the year.

Hogan.png