Lie: Standard

Grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Ribbed .600

Grip Size: Standard

FW 15 Irons:

22 26 30 34 38 42 46

TK 15 Wedges:

50 55 60 

Hogan Fit Experience:

Easy and eye opening. I've always strived to achieve consistent gaps between all irons / wedges but never seem to get it right. The Hogan system makes perfect sense.  I will go this route from now on regardless of manufacturer.  

Hcp:

Hogan Name:

Determined practice

Clean, precise craftsmanship

Blisters, sweat, dirt

Perfect 1 iron

Single minded purpose

Quality above all else

Unbreakable champion

TM Superdeep TP 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard

TEE CB3 15 Motore Tour

Adams Idea Pro Tour Issue 20 KBS Hybrid

Titleist AP2 4-PW KBS Stiff

Taylormade XFT 52, 58, 64 KBS Hi-Rev Stiff

Cameron Coronado Welded Neck T Stamp

Taylormade Red (If they still made em)

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll reiterate what I said when I was notified... Holy s***! That was literally my first thought. I actually got an email alert while standing in line paying for the Callaway PM Grind wedges I posted

I have a novel idea. Let's focus on congratulating the testers.   This is going to be a pretty cool experience for them and I'm really looking forward to hearing what these guys have to say.  

Bribery, while generally frowned upon in polite society, is perfectly acceptable here    Seriously, there are a TON of outstanding applications.  Hope you guys are enjoying the process. Love readin

Posted Images

Hogan Fit Results:

Shaft: KBS Tour V Stiff

Length: Standard

Grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Ribbed .600

Grip Size: Standard

FW 15 Irons:

22 26 30 34 38 42 46

TK 15 Wedges:

50 55 60 

Hogan Fit Experience:

Easy and eye opening. I've always strived to achieve consistent gaps between all irons / wedges but never seem to get it right. The Hogan system makes perfect sense.  I will go this route from now on regardless of manufacturer.  

Hcp:

Hogan Name:

Determined practice

Clean, precise craftsmanship

Blisters, sweat, dirt

Perfect 1 iron

Single minded purpose

Quality above all else

Unbreakable champion

TM Superdeep TP 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard

TEE CB3 15 Motore Tour

Adams Idea Pro Tour Issue 20 KBS Hybrid

Titleist AP2 4-PW KBS Stiff

Taylormade XFT 52, 58, 64 KBS Hi-Rev Stiff

Cameron Coronado Welded Neck T Stamp

Taylormade Red (If they still made em)

What a great Contest!  The only Irons that I have played with in over 25 years are Hogan Irons.  Absolutely love them.  My buddies have tried for years to get me to update my equipment and I have refused.  I love how they feel and  how they look.  I also use Hogan driver, woods and putter.  I buy Hogan Apparel.  I would love to update my equipment, but money is tight right now.  I already submitted my club fit on the Hogan Web Site.

FW Irons- 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47

TK Wedges 51, 55, 59

Hogan Fit was very easy and fast. 

1) Hogan fitting attached

2) +2 handicap

3) The Hogan name means quality craftsmanship, timelessness, and relentless pursuit of perfection to me.  I believe every great golfer needs to know their equipment like Hogan new and worked on his own clubs.

hogan.png

USGA Handicap - 6

Over the years I have probably played close to 20 different sets of irons, mostly because I am never satisfied with the feel of the irons compared to some of the Hogans I had many years ago.  There is nothing that compares to the classic lines and feel of a forged Iron.  From the look of these clubs they will not disappoint.  I have no doubt that these clubs will live up to the reputation of the Ben Hogan Irons of old.  It would be an honor to be chosen to test these clubs and provide feedback to the golfing community.

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 5.11.14 PM.jpg

W•15 IRONS
Include 
in Order

Loft
Lie
Length
Price

bh_club.jpg
 20 21 22 23    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 24 25 26 27    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 28 29 30 31    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 32 33 34 35    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 36 37 38 39    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 40 41 42 43    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 44 45 46 47    
$149

TK•15 WEDGES

Include 
in Order

Loft
Lie
Length
Price

bh_club.jpg
 48 49 50 51    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 52 53 54 55    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 56 57 58 59    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 60 61 62 63    
$149

USGA Handicap: 6

My father started teaching me to play golf 28 years ago. Beyond just teaching me the basics of the game, he instilled in me an appreciation for the golf course. He insisted I acted with class, composure, and graciousness win or lose. I distinctly remember the Hogan persimmon woods he played with during that time. Those clubs seemed to have an aura about them that gave off the feel of what the tradition of golf is all about. Since my dad plays lefty and I am a righty I never got a chance to hit those woods. I would enjoy the opportunity to test these irons and see if the new clubs live up to my memories of watching my dad hit the ones from decades ago.

The Hogan Fit was a great experience. I play Ping i25 irons currently and feel that there are some areas where there is a gap in distance with my current set-up. Hogan Fit agreed, and made recommendations that I felt were necessary. 

Callaway Epic Driver, 9 degree, X-Stiff

Ping I-25 Irons, Yellow, CFS Stiff Shaft, +1.25 length

1. Hogan Fit

Shaft: KBS Tour V X-Stiff

Length: -.25

Grip: Standard

Grip Size: +2

FW-15 Irons

Loft     Lie     Length

23       59      38.75

27       59.5   38.00

31       60      37.25

35       61      36.50

39       62      36.00

43       63      35.50

47       63.5   35.25

TK-15 Irons

Loft     Lie     Length

51       64      35.25

55       64      35

59       63      34.75

2. USGA Handicap: 0.2 

3. Hogan Name:

Being from a younger generation, I did not have the privilege of seeing Mr. Ben Hogan play. However, based on what I have read, the video clips I have watched, and what I have heard others say about him, I have a very vivid idea of how he played the game and strong associations with the name Hogan. In a version of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour video game, there was a feature were you could “Tiger Proof” a golf course. Common “Tiger Proofing” techniques included decreasing the width of the fairways, shrinking green sizes, and increasing total distance. The maximum “Tiger Proofing” effect left only slivers of a fairway and pin head sized greens. After “Tiger Proofing” my fist course in the game and seeing in on the TV screen, I instantly thought to myself, “Ben Hogan would excel on this course.” Hogan was a supreme strategist, with unparalleled consistency and precision, and he excelled in the most challenging conditions. Therefore, I'm eager to test the -HoganFit System and FW-15 Irons, seeing if they live up to the name they bear, the Hoganfit system will have to enable a player to customize his bag to fit his game, and the irons will have to be built with precision and be high quality, delivering results in the most difficult situations. Thank you for your consideration.

Last day to apply people!  We'll be closing this off tonite, so if you haven't applied yet, get on the proverbial stick!~

• Like 2

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good luck to all!! 

As for me, I will be leaving out cookies and milk (or pretzels and beer) and squirming to the wee hours of the night listening for bells and hooves landing on my roof before I fall asleep only to awaken in the morning to see if there is something shiny and new under the tree.  Please, Santa, I have been (mostly, well, kind of) good!!

• Like 2

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

hogan.jpg

• Like 2

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Your HoganFit results, via a screenshot or written out, and tell us a little about your HoganFit experience:

See screenshots below.  I love the ability to customize each iron's loft - my original results called for slightly different lofts but the below is my preferred setup.  This would be a an intriguing opportunity to test and report on what appear to be the prettiest irons on the market.

Your handicap 

What the Hogan name means to you

Simply put, the best ball-striker to walk the planet.  

Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 2.53.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-14 at 2.53.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-14 at 2.52.06 PM.png

ABOUT YOUYOUR BAGYOUR GAMEYOUR FIT

Congratulations, Randy. Here are 'Your Hogans'

Your new Ben Hogan Fort Worth 15 irons and TK-15 wedges are shown here, along with your specifications for shaft, length, lie and custom specifications, if any. Building your irons and wedges with the same shaft and specifications will improve your feel and performance.

Feel free to add or delete clubs from this order form, or explore other changes. When you have 'your Hogans' the way you want them, you can proceed to checkout or save your order for future reference and purchase.

Thank you for trusting your iron and wedge play to the 'new' Ben Hogan.

Please review the options and club selections before placing your order.

Shaft:KBS tour 90

Length: standard

Lie: standard

Grip:

Grip Size:

FW•15 IRONS

Include

in Order

Loft

Lie

Length

Price

$149

$149

$149

$149

$149

$149

35.5$149

FW•15 Irons Subtotal:

$1043

I am a 6 handicap and I had the best set of Ben Hogan apex Grinds ever. Over 25 years ago. Ben Hogan epitomized the perfect golf swing and his line of clubs honored the man for his greatness and never give up attitude. My Apex grinds mirrored the mans characteristics in that they were sturdy and well made. Both were great pieces of work and artistry.

Thanks for the applications gang!  We'll be announcing the testers tomorrow...stay tuned!!!!

• Like 4

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

New MyGolfSpy member, but seasoned club reviewer.  Would love to participate!

Specs attached.Hogan spec.PNG

Handicap: 6

What the Hogan name means to me:

Growing up in Texas and being a golfer for 25+ years, Hogan has always been a legend.  His blue collar approach/commitment to the golf game is legenday.  His comeback from injury story is awe-insipiring, and one for today's pros to aspire to.  Equipment wise, it's good to see Ben Hogan back, and the SCOR team (another Texas company committed to excellence) leading the way makes total sense.  I played Hogan Edge irons for a period of time (I believe the first forged cavity back offering - years ahead of it's time) and a BeCopper Hogan wedge until the grooves gave out.  It was my favorite wedge of all time. 

After reviewing the Hogan website, I'll have to say that I love the marketing approach that you shouldn't be concerned about hitting the longest 6 iron in your group.  It should be about producing consistent distance and who cares what club you use to accompish that approach shot?  It sounds simple, but most of us let the testosterone take over and try to out hit our buddies...  Just reading that makes me want to rethink my current game and swing a bit easier at that 8 iron on number 8 today instead of trying to muscle my 9 iron up there.  I don't know if it's intentional, but I think stamping lofts on the irons is genius to help manage this "what club did you hit" competitive mentality.  I own some Scor wedges, and it works the other way too.  I sometimes hit my 42 (9 iron), but guys think I just hit a wedge into the 150 yard approach. 

As far as the Hogan Fit system on the site, I think it is very helpful in selecting a club, however all golfers would benefit from receiving a true fitting to know the length and lie of their clubs.  The loft gapping is great, but we shouldn't ignore the other factors in golf club fitting.

Best of luck to the testers that are selected.  If I'm not one, I look forward to readiung the reviews of those participating!

Hit'em straight!

BP

Guess we're not opening presents until AFTER church........

• Like 1

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Testers Announced!!!!!!

When we announced this Club Test/Review Opportunity for the new Ben Hogan irons and wedges, we figured we'd garner some interest, but none of us on the MyGolfSpy staff was expecting this.

More than 230 applications over 17 pages, and nearly 10,000 views!!

And what's more, you guys didn't just give us your name and cry “pick me, pick me!” You bowled us over with the thought and effort you guys put into your applications. Here are just a few of the gems you shared with us:

“Hogan means history, excellence and a constant pursuit of perfection…”

“First set of irons I owned were Hogans…they were a gift from my father…”

“I ‘borrowed' my Grandpa's copy of Power Golf…he's been gone 30 years and I still have the book…”

“His tradition and work ethic mean everything to me...it's what I strive for everyday…”

“Mr. Hogan is the epitome of courage, perseverance and success…”

“The golf world needs a voice from the past to remind us of what we should hold as greatness, to remind us why we love the game…”

And it goes on and on, for 17 pages.

It seems Hogan is still a name that means something to the serious golfer!

So enough of the preamble, let's get right down to it. Who's going to test the new Ben Hogan Ft. Worth irons and TK 15 Wedges? Here they are, along with what Hogan means to them:

0-5 Handicap:

Jmikecpa: “The Hogan brand means excellence…it's refreshing to see a company produce irons as customizable and fit a wide array of players.”

sncgolf03:  â€œPure, simple and elegant. I played with Apex Pro irons and LOVED everything about them…excited to see them making a comeback.”

6-10 Handicap:

RookieBlue7: “Mr. Hogan persevered through everything…and he did it all without complaint and he had one of the most technically proficient swings ever, with a secret no one has solved.”

MikeZ: “I miss the feeling I would get from a Hogan iron with a well struck ball. There's nothing else like that in the world. Nothing. I want to feel that again.”

11-15 Handicap:

edmundcruz:  “Hogan is THE gold standard of golf. Class, integrity and tradition.”

xMassacrex: “That smooth, effortless swing. The integrity. You don't see that kind of athlete, or man for that matter, nearly as often as we need to anymore. He really just encompasses the sport in a body.”

Congratulations to the Tester/Reviewers – but know the hard work is just beginning. You have two pretty high standards to live up to – the MyGolfSpy Forum Member Review standard (read some of the previous threads – we take this stuff pretty seriously!) and, of course, the Hogan standard. Our membership anxiously awaits your thoughts.

And on a personal note – the selection committee was up till midnight last night working our way through the more than 230 applications. You guys did an AWESOME job, which made our job very, very difficult. It physically hurt to leave many of you off the list. On behalf of the committee, I want to thank you all for the thoughtful, introspective and – in the finest Hogan tradition – classy responses.

In Hogan-speak, you dug it out of the dirt. Your work shows what an awesome membership we have at MyGolfSpy. We can't thank you enough!

Also – we have a pretty aggressive Forum Review schedule planned for this summer. So please don't be disappointed if you didn't make this one – we'll have plenty more opportunities coming up very, very shortly.

And now, on to the reviews!!!!

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

To the testers - you'll be receiving a PM from us shortly with initial instructions.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Congrats to jmikecpa, sncgolf03, rookieblue7, mikez, edmundcruz & xmassacrea.  Ya'll will have a boat load of fun with this test.

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Congrats guys, looking forward to these reviews!!  Especially if anyone can compare them to the Scor wedges!

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s