JBones

TESTERS ANNOUNCED! - BEN HOGAN GOLF FT. WORTH 15 IRONS/TK 15 WEDGES

Our Sponsors

25 29 33 37 41 45 49 53 57 61

KBS Tour V x stiff

Std loft, lie, length, grip

Handicap 10

The name Hogan means tradition, excellence, and uncompromising standards. I "borrowed" my grandpa's copy of Power Golf as a kid and even though he's been gone 30 years I still have the book. I read it as a kid and a couple of times since. While I have not tried to copy Ben Hogan's swing the book has been a big influence on my game.

I am a bit skeptical of the on line fitting system as my prescription put me into x stiff shafts. I currently play KBS Tour stiff so I find it hard to believe that going to the V model would bump the flex to an X. I was honest and conservative when answering the distance questions so I don't think that's it either. Also they put my first iron at 5* higher than my hybrid but with an extra club in the scoring range. It would be interesting to test their approach to set makeup.

I would love to be chosen as a tester. I am interested in the clubs and have been following their story ever since the rumors started. I think my skill level is also appropriate for testing their club design principles and marketing line that these clubs have enough forgiveness for a range of players, not just the best ball strikers. I will test on the range, at multiple courses in varied conditions (including wet and rain), from all kinds of lies, and collect and share flight and results data.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

1. Attached

2. Handicap: 6

3. What Hogan Means: Best crafted, best control, best engineered irons in the game of golf.  I have two small kids so I only play 1-2 rounds a month.  Due to this scaricity of rounds (compared to many of the mygolfspy readers), I look for the best experience every time I play and that feel comes with well struck iron shots.

HoganFW15.PNG

Loft   Lie     Length

20      59        39

24      59.5     38.25

28      60        37.5

32      61        36.75

36      62        36.25

40      63        35.75

44      63.5     35.5

48      64        35.5

52      64        35.25

56      63        35.25

60      63        35

Handicap 14

The name Hogan means the very best both professional and quality in all aspects. When I think of Hogan I think of someone willing to put time and effort in to get what you want out of your golf game and life itself.

Handicap Index- 6.1

Hogan to me means hard work and practice not only to become #1 but to continually try to excel to stay #1.  His book is not only a standard it is a "Basic Patent" of the keys to the golf swing.  To be able to innovate and then make your innovation the Gold Standard of golf for the next 50 years and beyond is incredible.  His tradition and work ethic means everything to me and that is what I strive for everyday when I play golf.

IMG_0158.jpg

Handicap: 25 (It's coming down fast!)

What does Beg Hogan mean to me? I'm the outlier here. I have almost no emotional attachment to Beg Hogan the brand. It means nothing to me. As for, Ben Hogan the golfer... well, if not for the book given to me by my cousin's husband eight years ago, I never would have picked up the game. Ever. So, Ben Hogan is pretty much the reason I golf.

The Hogan fit experience was pretty cool. It's interesting that it moved me up into an x-stiff shaft on my irons. I don't think of myself as a big swinger outside the teebox, where I play an x-stiff driver. I guess those decisions are being made by the "how far do I hit xyz" club question? Anyway, I'm all in.

I SUBMIT TO YOUR EXPERTISE AT ONLINE FITTING.

Side note: I'm a professional blogger and podcaster (albeit not in the golf world) and commit to detailed, extensive, and engaging (read: funny) reviews and postings.

hogans.jpg

• Like 1

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Handicap is 10.2 (fluctuating between 9.9 and 10.4)

Hogan.... I mean it is synonymous with greatness in golf and individual determination. When I was a kid my father was a club pro. In his shop one day I saw a Red Bag with a set of Junior clubs in it. They were Hogans, i was smitten. Shortly after, my parents were divorced. On my 12th Birthday my father gave me that set of clubs. I loved them very much.

I would like to say that I went on to play from that day forward, but no. My step father (whom I consider to be the guiding male figure in my life) wasn't interested in golf. Years later when my soon to be wife got me started playing again, i pulled out those clubs, dusted them off and realized they could no longer be played by me. I was sad, but they set a spark in my gut that has helped me play for 20+ years now.

When the Hogan company was relaunched I could not have been more excited and desperatly want to play or at least give them an honest try.

I have been playing a set of Tommy Armour 845's since 1999 and feel like it is time to change. I set a goal of breaking 10 handicap as that goal for new irons. The Ben Hogan company has arrived just as I have made that happen. Sheerly through determination. In the last 2.5 years (after a long lapse in playing{family life}) I have gone from 18 to breaking into the 9's through gritting it out, learning, reading (Hogan, Jones, Snead, MyGolfSpy and many other things) and sweat.

I am ready for these irons. I am so ready.

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 11.05.30 AM.png

Just in case my attachment doesn't work. MY HoganFit is:

Lofts - 21, 25, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58

Lie is 1 Up

KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Standard Length

Standard Hogan Grip in Midsize (or the Crossline Ace Midsize (grey with red cap)

Hogan Fit Results:

Hogan Fit.png

Handicap: 19

What the Hogan name means to you: Ben Hogan has always stood for quality. He was a true pioneer of the game but also believed in simplicity which I believe in as well. I'd love to try these beautiful clubs but I'm really also interested to see if the Hogan Fit process works well and would love to review the whole process.
  • Like 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

My Prescription was:  Fort Worth Irons with UST Mamiya Recoil stiff shafts, standard, standard, standard with lofts 22,26,30,34,38,42,46,50, Wedges 54,58, 60. 

My Handicap = 18 +/- (depending on what day)

Ben Hogan to me means tradition and quality.  I'm one of those guys that trys everything possible to improve my game.  I think it's time to try one last set.............

Instead of  Hogans Five Lessons, it may only take one set!  :benhogan-small:

I'm in. I had a set of Apex 2's back in the day and loved 'em. I just witched from blades (Adams MB2s) to Mizuno MP-15s and, while I like the MP-15s, they just don't feel as solid as the blades did, although they are much more forgiving. If I could find a blade a smidge more forgiving than the Adams, I'd be all in. So pick me!

My handicap: 15.8

What Hogan means to me: Growing up playing baseball throughout my life, baseball was the game. I was around golf when I was a kid, and grew up playing off and on with my father. But in baseball I always loved the great ones who defined the sport. Being a Yankee fan Ruth and Mantle were the two that stood out to me. I loved watching old clips of them playing, seeing how the game has changed over the years.

In my early 20's I really got into this sport. Being a very technical player I rely on the confidence in the equipment. I started like anybody, buying a set off of the rack and going out and playing. But being the type of person I am I kept reading about the sport. Because to me, knowledge is the key. I have to understand whatever I do to the utmost degree, that way I can attack whatever it is and give it my best. This drive lead me to custom fitting.

Throughout the last 4 years now, I've successfully been fit for every club in my bag. Every fitting was a new revelation for me, and I've learned a lot about myself and the game afterwards. This leads me to Hogan, and what he and the company means to me. 

To me, Hogan is one and the same as those legends from baseball. That smooth, effortless swing. The integrity. You don't see that kind of athlete, or man for that matter nearly as often as we need to anymore. He really just encompasses the sport in a body. 

What's so interesting to me about this company is their business plan. The natural evolution that someone needs to tackle is how to custom fit someone without them being physically in front of you. The question every company has to be asking themselves right now is how to accomplish this. Out of all of the companies trying, I feel the HoganFit system is far and away the most competent. 

I find it so refreshing that such a timeless, iconic name can bring such a modern approach to fruition. It fits the man beautifully.

I would love the opportunity to do this name justice and give these clubs the review they deserve. Being a golf junky and relentless practicer/player I would surely put them through the paces. The best part is I have the time and drive to give these clubs all that they have and would hope to give the Hogan name the honest, and unbiased review that they deserve.

Without further ado, here is my HoganFit Prescription. There are some very shocking changes in the setup for me, but I trust the process. I would love the opportunity to put these clubs through the paces and appreciate the consideration of MGS. To whoever has the opportunity, please give this company and this name the review that it deserves!

Best of luck guys!

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 11.46.59 AM.png

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I am currently a 11 handicap, but as a teacher when summer rolls around I start playing 4-5 times a week and that drops into the single digits.

The Hogan name means pure. He was a pure ball striker with a carefully crafted swing and anything that carried his name should be pure and carefully crafted. As a 5'9” DFW golfer, Hogan is my golf icon and much of my game is modeled after him.. I've switched between right and left handed golf, suffered from a hook problem and have flattened out my swing to model his. His book the Five Lessons: Modern Fundamentals of Golf is my golf bible, and if I could find a rosary with Hogan on it the thing would be in my golfbag. He was a calculated man of precision, everything in his swing moved for one reason or another and he could easily explain it. Every club he swung he swung for a reason and they were just as precise as he was. Any club with his name on it should model the same calculated precision as the man himself.  My standards for anything with the Hogan name are high, because that name carries so much weight with me.

If I had the opportunity to test these clubs I could report back every day with blog posts and pictures as a teacher who is out for the summer and just golfing away his days until August. 

hogan.png

Handicap:  12

What Ben Hogan means:  Ben Hogan, in golf terms, is a synonym for excellence.  He has been the standard, by which others in the game have been compared.  His name is about The Swing, Ball-Striking and Practicing with a purpose.   

If chosen to test these irons, I will put everything into it, the way he did.  I play 1-2 rounds per week, with at least 1-2 range sessions.  I have played many types of irons over the years, and will be able to compare every aspect of their playability. 

hogans.JPG

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 2.2

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

Handicap:  12

What Ben Hogan means:  Ben Hogan, in golf terms, is a synonym for excellence.  He has been the standard, by which others in the game have been compared.  His name is about The Swing, Ball-Striking and Practicing with a purpose.   

If chosen to test these irons, I will put everything into it, the way he did.  I play 1-2 rounds per week, with at least 1-2 range sessions.  I have played many types of irons over the years, and will be able to compare every aspect of their playability. 

post-55830-0-39540700-1430755869_thumb.j

hogans.JPG

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 2.2

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

I'm a 3 Handicap.  
I love forged clubs and won't play anything else.  I grew up playing Hogan Apex blades and still have 2 sets in the garage,  My Dad was a die hare Hogan fan and his books are still dog eared and referenced monthly.  

I'm excited about the new irons and the approach they are taking,  The fit process was actually really cool.  

Shaft: 
             Ben Hogan Standard Shafts (starting at $149) KBS Tour V Stiff             KBS Tour V X-Stiff KBS Tour 90 Regular             KBS Tour 90 Stiff             UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F2 A-Flex (+$15 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3 Regular (+$15 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4 Stiff (+$15 per club)             Optional Custom Shafts KBS Tour C-Taper Stiff (+$15 per club)             KBS Tour C-Taper Stiff Plus (+$15 per club) KBS Tour C-Taper Lite Stiff (+$15 per club) Nippon 850 GH Regular (+$10 per club) Nippon 950 GH Regular (+$10 per club) Nippon 950 GH Stiff (+$10 per club) Nippon Modus Tour 130 X-Stiff (+$20 per club) True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 X-Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper XP 95 S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) True Temper XP 105 S300 Stiff (+$10 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F3 Regular (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4 Stiff (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F4 Stiff (+$25 per club) UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5 X-Stiff (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 65 A-Flex (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 65 Regular (+$25 per club) MRC Kuro Kage LB 85 Regular (+$25 per club)    
Length: 
 -1 -.75 -.5 -.25 Standard +.25 +.5 +.75 +1 +1.25 +1.5    
Lie: 
 3 Up 2 Up 1 Up Standard 1 Flat 2 Flat 3 Flat    
Grip: 
 Ben Hogan Performance Plus Ben Hogan Performance Plus Midsize Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black 58 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black 60 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Red/Black Midsize (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Black/White 60 Round (+$11 per club) Golf Pride New Decade MCC Black/White Midsize (+$11 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 58 Round (+$10 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black Midsize (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet Black 60 Ribbed (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Black 60 Round (+$9 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black 58 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Black Midsize (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Red 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G White 60 Round (+$5 per club) Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord White/Black 60 Round (+$10 per club) Lamkin Crossline Black/White 58 Round (+$5 per club) Lamkin Crossline Full Cord Black/White 58 Round (+$5 per club) Lamkin Crossline Full Cord Black/White Midsize (+$5 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Black 58 Round (+$7 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Black Midsize (+$7 per club) Lamkin R.E.L ACE 3GEN Red 58 Round (+$7 per club)    
Grip Size: 
 Standard +1 +2             +3    
FW•15 IRONS
Include 
in Order

Loft
Lie
Length
Price

bh_club.jpg
 20 21 22 23    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 24 25 26 27    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 28 29 30 31    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 32 33 34 35    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 36 37 38 39    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 40 41 42 43    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 44 45 46 47    
$149

FW•15 Irons Subtotal:
$1043

TK•15 WEDGES
Include 
in Order

Loft
Lie
Length
Price

bh_club.jpg
 48 49 50 51    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 52 53 54 55    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 56 57 58 59    
$149

bh_club.jpg
 60 61 62 63    
$149

TK•15 Wedges Subtotal:
$447

Handicap +0.5

I loved my set of Hogan FTX, Hogan is my golf idol, I learned to play by reading 5 Fundamentals

Hogan Fit results:

Kas tour v stiff

Standard length and lie

Hogan performance plus grip

Grip standard size

Lie Length Degree

59. 39. 23

59.5. 38.25. 27

60. 37.5. 31

61. 36.75. 35

62. 36.25. 39

63. 35.75. 43

63.5. 35.5. 47

64. 35.5. 51

64. 35.5. 55

63. 35.25. 59

WOW,

What an opportunity for the MGS community!! Thanks to the guys who run this thing!

Here is my Sure-Fit Recommendation.

hogan sure fit.jpg

Current Handicap is 8.5, but I expect that it will trend down in a big way this season... 

What the name Hogan means to me....

I have played golf for long enough to appreciate the Hogan mystique. I remember one of my first Pros was a HUGE Hogan staff guy, and we all lusted after his sticks. I eventually owned a set of Apex blades and the classy Blue/Red/White Staff bag with my name on it.. (even though I was no where near good enough to warrant it.) I just wanted to be cool, and Mizuno was just not gonna do it.

I was very sad to see the Hogan brand sold to Callaway and remade into clubs for the masses...  Hurt my heart just a little. 

The Hogan Mystique is about performance, precision, and, perfection.

If these irons are as good as the Scor Wedges, whoever gets selected is in for a serious treat!!!

Thank you to MGS for the opportunity!

• Like 1

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

I'm a 5.0 index and a huge Hogan fan (Power Golf, Complete Guide, 5 lessons) so this TESTERS WANTED thread has definitely grabbed my attention!  I even still play a classic set from time to time (Apex PCs) that I just could never part with because they're so beautiful.  I learned the game on a hand me down set of Apex CB irons from my dad.  Getting to try this set would be a dream come true!

I guess what "Hogan" means to me is the never ending search (in the dirt) for perfection.

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 11.52.11 AM.png

Good morning...I am currently floating between a 10.5 & 11.5.

Ben Hogan means quite a bit to me.  I learned how to play golf with an old set of my Great Grandfathers Hogan irons.  I also remember hearing many stories from my grandparents about Mr. Hogan as they were at tournaments that he played in down in Palm Springs.  Aside from the stories, I have always admired Mr. Hogan. His swing, his work ethic and his desire.  I would be HONORED to play an iron named after him.

Driver: Nike Vapor Fly (set to 9.5 draw)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15*

5 Wood: Bridgestone 18*

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RocketBladz

(All wood and iron shafts are stiff)

Wedges: Cobra Tour Trusty Rusty (52*, 56*, 62*)

Putter: YES! Sarah White

Handicap: 9.1

HoganFit “prescription” (attached)

Your handicap: 16

What the name “Hogan” means to you - One word: grip. I read and re-read Hogan's book (5 lessons) and what clicked for me was his description of the golf grip. Once I corrected my grip per his recommendation my swing started clicking and I was able to lower my handicap.

hoganfit.jpg

Cobra Fly-Z driver - 10.5 deg, stiff stock Matrix VLCT SP 60g

Cobra Fly-Z 3 wood - stiff

Cobra Fly-Z 2h-4h hybrids

Ping G25 irons 5 - SW stiff, yellow dot

Evnroll ER2
Snell

Right handed

Parkersburg, WV

12 hcp

I better get this right - don't want to lose out on a technicality!

My current handicap index is 4.0.

When I think of Ben Hogan, it reminds me of the best parts of the old-school game.  Hogan was a no-nonsense player, obviously great, who held the game in a very high regard.  I like the fun stuff as much as the next guy - we play music in the carts when we're on the course - but I have a lot of appreciation for the history of the game.  When I see the new Hogan gear, it makes me think of sets of irons displayed in trophy cases that were used to win big tournaments.  It brings out the ideas and thoughts of precise ball-striking, working a fade or draw depending on the shot, and controlling the distance and trajectory of the ball flight.  I see this new equipment venture as a return to the day when you went to your local pro to get a set fit properly, but with the addition of new technology, new materials, and a great company backing the product.  This should be a lot of fun!  - TBM

HoganFit Prescription:

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 12.03.33 PM.png