TESTERS WANTED! ×

Played first tournament...

Fireinthehole

-Played in a tournament last weekend for the first time (Had only played in 2 charity scrambles). Hosted by the club I play at over two days and It was a best ball tourny.

-Played with my friend who is a 16hcp and I was a 8.9 after two 79's two weeks before, so we got strokes on a lot of holes for him-all but 1. Our playing partners were an 11 and 9 each.

- What occurred those two days was a classic example of choking! lol!

I went 18over on day 1 :wacko: . Posted an 8 on Hole #1 Par4; two days in a row and a 9 on #9 par5; and a 9 on #18 Par5. Got an adrenaline spike at each tee box and went into the junk lol

My partner went 33 and 36 over both days, we used my score for a combined 29/36 holes.

BUTTTT.....

The biggest shock of the tournament:

ALL THE CHEATING  :blink:  :blink:  :blink: 

- I saw balls moved out of the lips of bunkers, out of OB, out of Divots, Balls dropped improperly, putts incorrectly counted- incorrect scores.

- What was worse was even the twosome playing with us was guilty of this. Saw one of our partners 4 putt and declare a par...

-On the last day, finishing off Par-5 #18,

See a player from other twosome move his ball twice while taking a practice swing, technically 5 shots on one putt, records a birdie... I miss second shot slightly right, take a practice swing clip my ball a yard (OOPS), chip, 1 putt; 4 on 1 putt- Record par. Player remarks tough to come away from par after good drive- really glad he got birdie.

-Partner and I went 1 over combined for the first day after hcp and 3 over the next day: +4 total. The other twosome finished -9. Needless to say all the cheating really got our blood boiling...

- Had read some posts about tourneys and being aware of Sand-baggers (very fun to say) and Vanity Handicaps; and about cheating, but still shocked. Granted it is a local club tournament, but where is the integrity? The prizes were not even thousands of dollars.

Not how i wanted to be introduced into tournament golf....

- On a positive note- won long drive on the longest whole, Par 5 571yds; 338 power draw! Got a sweet Nexbelt for my troubles. Did get a good Forearm tan as well B) !

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I have gotten to the point where if someone tries to fudge a score after I see them 4 putt, or something of that nature, I just ask them if they are sure, because they just had 4 putts? LOL

I have gotten to where I don't take any scrambles seriously anymore because I know teams are going to cheat their butts off. Its downright pathetic. I will play singles events or four ball events and take them seriously but that is it. Don't be afraid to call someone out though if you notice they are cheating. Accusations in the form of a question generally catch them off guard more than anything because they know you are calling them out but its about as polite a way of doing it as possible.

Congrats on the long drive btw! That and closest to the pin are basically all I show up for and care about winning LOL

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Yep!  Sounds like you saw all the reasons why I don't play in those anymore.  Our local saying is "He who has the fastest golf cart never has a bad lie."

Sorry to hear that.  I had hoped that it had gotten better over the years.  I only play in tournaments when it is for a good charity that I want to support and just want to have fun.  Nearly impossible to compete in those conditions.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've seen tons of cheating in my day, none of it here. The golf scene in St Pete, at least in the circles that I travel, is pretty clean. Scrambles are for fun, I'm not counting those as tournaments. I've yet to see any intentional cheating in any tournament that I've played in here. Basically all the better players know each other and you'd get black balled if you cheated.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yeah it was tough, on top of getting a good dose of anxiety. Took me back to club soccer days- nice though. 

Forgot to mention on the 365yd #16 which dog legs left I nearly drove the green- had me freaking out i landed close to the group on the green- fast forward to Sunday...

On a par 3- look like I went OB. hit a provisional. A nice hosel rocket that goes about 90 degrees to the right and lands just behind the tee of the next hole- Same group as Sunday nearly got beamed. OUCH,

Well went out today in the morning and this afternoon for 18 shot 86, 82- same course. Got some confidence back ( and pride) from the blacks- tips w/e. Really like that the course pushes Teeing it forward, white- avg drive of 200+, Blue- avg drive 230+, Black 260+.

I typically try to play with the low cappers- I seem to shoot lower and focus more, but not a fan of playing 5 to  a group- which they do some times. Try to play before them for that reason- and they don't let you play through which ice's you down ASAP. 

My Mixed-Bag:

I'd have called them out.. But I'm probably more blunt than most folks.

The fact that people do that is just utter nonsense. What's even worse about it is how blatant it is! You obviously can't police everyone, but you can do your due diligence to at least ensure that everyone in your group is honest (or as honest as you can hold them accountable for). Like I said, it wouldn't have flown in my group.. But I'm that guy...

Our charity tournaments out here come with a lot of cheaters and the like. My handicap fluctuates but going by what it was... I'm technically a 13. They put me down for a 15. 

Every other group does the same thing. Yes, I'd like to play clean and generally our group doesn't move out of bunkers or the like. That's a bit too far. 

A par after a 4 putt is where you have to question them IMO. That's not even close to a fudge, that's a full out being a name I won't use here.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

No one may believe me, but I have never hit a fairway bunker. And as far as green side Bunkers about every 7 holes. Only shot I have is a flop shot haha. But I always play the bunker regardless of the lie.

Very happy my partner and I stuck it out though.

Give people the benefit Of the doubt and for people I meet during play I never care.

Looking forward to my next charity tournament where the booze will flow and everyone won't care for the score

My Mixed-Bag:

Do they keep scores themselves?

To avoid that, in our club, you keep someone else's score and they do yours. No fucking way I'm going to write down a par after seeing you 4 putt. Same goes for scrambles and fun tournaments.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

To avoid that, in our club, you keep someone else's score and they do yours. No fucking way I'm going to write down a par after seeing you 4 putt. Same goes for scrambles and fun tournaments.

That's how we do our tournament scoring

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I suggested this to our club pro after reading your comment. Surprised that it wasn't set up like that.

Also having your playing partner/ opponent sign your score card would aid in keeping people honest.

My Mixed-Bag:

I suggested this to our club pro after reading your comment. Surprised that it wasn't set up like that.

Also having your playing partner/ opponent sign your score card would aid in keeping people honest.

Yup, we need 2 signatures on each card. The player and the counter. I thought this was the standard world wide :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Yup, we need 2 signatures on each card. The player and the counter. I thought this was the standard world wide :D

Ah if only  :wacko:

Even the scores I post are verified by playing partners. As they say, Live and learn.

My Mixed-Bag:

Archived