GolfSpy Barbajo

TESTERS ANNOUNCED! - Wilson Staff DUO, DUO Spin & FG Tour Balls!

image008 (1).jpg

Testers Wanted -- Apply NOW!!

Say what you will about Golf Digest's Hot List, but when products made by an OEM that doesn't advertise heavily in GD are recognized, you might want to take a closer look. 

All 3 members of Wilson Staff's Low Compression golf ball family are Gold Medal winners in this month's Hot List – the updated DUO, the brand new DUO Spin and, for the 2nd year in a row, the FG Tour. Wilson says each ball is the softest in its category, and it's that low compression that sets each ball apart.

So, are these balls really Gold Medal worthy? We want you to tell us!

IMG_7482.JPG

We have 5 dozen of each ball and we're looking for 15 MyGolfSpy Forum members to give these balls a whack and see what all the fuss is about.

The newly redesigned Wilson DUO is a 2-piece distance balls and at 29 compression, it's the softest ball out there. Wilson says the DUO is for “distance” players looking for less spin off the driver and soft feel around the green.

The brand new DUO Spin is, according to Wilson, the softest multi-layer ball in golf. It's a 3-piece ball with a 35 compression and is for the “control” player seeking forgiveness off the tee and more control around the greens.

And the FG Tour is a 4-layer ball with a Urethane cover and Wilson says that with a 70 compression, it's the game's softest 4-piece tour ball.

pga show 231.JPG

HOW TO APPLY

** You must be a member of the MyGolfSpy Forum (if you are not a member you can register here)

We are looking for 15 of you guys to help us put these balls through the wringer and fine out if softer really is better. 

To apply, please tell us your handicap, your driver swing speed and, since it's MyGolfSpy and history matters, your favorite Wilson Staff golfer of all time (click here for background).

Good luck and get ready to get SOFT!

• Like 1

Handicap: 3.5

Driver SS: 120

Favorite Wilson Staff golfer: How can I not pick Mr. Hogan?! The only other thought I had was to pick Paddy because he is the only reason I won the guess the manufacturer contest earlier in the year. Which btw was Wilson Staff! 

I was a big fan of both the previous FG tour and Duo. The Duo spin seems interesting but I haven't hit it yet. Can't wait to find out.

Edit: Was given bad info by the Wiki page so I change my favorite Wilson Staffer to Paddy for the reason above. A not so distant second would be "Long" John Daly for obvious reasons. Also my swing length is apparently similar to his LOL

Thanks for the reminder Undershooter - I still owe you a little somthin' somthin' from that one, don't I?

• Like 1

9 handicap and 110-113 SS.

Arnold Palmer played Wilson and he's still a legend and a huge player in the golf world. He's gotta be my favorite..

I'm extremely interested in the FG Tours. I've heard great things about these balls for years now but haven't found any in stores and haven't bothered to order any.. I've heard nothing but good about them though!

Thanks for the reminder Undershooter - I still owe you a little somthin' somthin' from that one, don't I?

If your still up to send me something, I'm still up for accepting it  B)

Also I won't hesitate to test the crap out of some golf balls lol. I'm currently putting the MG C4Tour through its paces.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Hogan was never a Wilson Staffer. He played MacGregor before starting the Hogan Company.

• Like 1

Handicap: 7

Driver Swing Speed: 110

I would have to go with Paddy just because I'm younger and I never really got to see the other guys in their prime. Also he stayed with them even when they weren't a "major" brand.

Handicap : 19

Driver Swing Speed : 105-110

I would have to say Arnold Palmer. He was the man and is the man still!

I'll love to test equipment and have already started some golf ball testing. This ball is on my list so I'd love to include it!

Driver Club Head Speed is 105. 

Handicap is 5.9

My favorite Wilson Staffer is Troy Merritt because he lives in my home state of Idaho .  He is a player who has tremendous potential and we love to see him perform.  He practices at a club near my house and he is a very approachable and nice person.  

I would love to test the new balls as they seem to be a vey good answer for the most important part of golf ;  short game scoring .

I have experience testing other manufacture's golf balls ( Titelist and Srixon ) so I would love to experience the features , advantages, and benefits of the Wilson Staff ball.

Pretty sure Hogan was never a Wilson Staffer. He played MacGregor before starting the Hogan Company.

It had him on the wiki list you posted otherwise I wouldn't have known. It said he won the 1951 pga as a Wilson Staffer. And if he wasn't then my choice reverts to Paddy. Haha

• Like 1

Swing speed is 108

handicap is 20, but shrinking........

As for a Wilson Staffer, its easy to go with Arnie or what have you. But I am gonna have to gowith Payne Stewart. Always a class act.

I would give a second vote to Barbajo. He IS Wilson staff if you watch Hack to Jack..........

just sayin.

(Afterthought)

A great two for one would be testing these balls with a set of Hogans! (Yeah, maybe a bit much. Go big or go home!)

Handicap: 13

Driver SS: 95

Favorite Wilson Staff Player: Arnold Palmer, how can you not choose Arnie?

I've been dying to try the FG Tour ball. My driver swing speed is around 100-105 and my handicap is a 7.5 Can get numbers off of an HD Golf simulator and I use the Prov1x so would be cool to put Wilson's FG Tour X ball against it. 

My fav golfer from Wilson has to be Paddy although Streelman is slowly taking that spot over. 

handicap-8

driver swing speed-90mph

favorite Wilson staff golfer-Arnold Palmer

Handicap 19

SS 90-97

Fav W/S Golfer...Arnie of course

Handicap - 5

Driver SS - 114

Favorite Wilson Staffer - Padraig, cmon goof grin, high pitched voice what's not to love.

Handicap: 12-15 

Driver SS :105

Paddy is my Wilson guy. How do you not love a guy like Paddy? He beat my favorite Sergio twice, but I still like him for the fact he's another tinker golfer and never satisfied. Welcome to my life.

I'd love to try out the FG Tour as it's been on my radar of new balls to try out.

It had him on the wiki list you posted otherwise I wouldn't have known. It said he won the 1951 pga as a Wilson Staffer. And if he wasn't then my choice reverts to Paddy. Haha

I think the Wilson page is wrong about the '51 PGA -- Sam Snead won it, and he was a Wilson staffer.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/history/2014/past-winners-pga-championship

• Like 1

Handicap 18

Swing Speed - 87 mpf

Favorite Wilson Staff Golfer - Padrig Harrington