Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

TESTERS ANNOUNCED! - Wilson Staff DUO, DUO Spin & FG Tour Balls!

GolfSpy Barbajo

image008 (1).jpg

Testers Wanted -- Apply NOW!!

Say what you will about Golf Digest's Hot List, but when products made by an OEM that doesn't advertise heavily in GD are recognized, you might want to take a closer look. 

All 3 members of Wilson Staff's Low Compression golf ball family are Gold Medal winners in this month's Hot List – the updated DUO, the brand new DUO Spin and, for the 2nd year in a row, the FG Tour. Wilson says each ball is the softest in its category, and it's that low compression that sets each ball apart.

So, are these balls really Gold Medal worthy? We want you to tell us!

IMG_7482.JPG

We have 5 dozen of each ball and we're looking for 15 MyGolfSpy Forum members to give these balls a whack and see what all the fuss is about.

The newly redesigned Wilson DUO is a 2-piece distance balls and at 29 compression, it's the softest ball out there. Wilson says the DUO is for “distance” players looking for less spin off the driver and soft feel around the green.

The brand new DUO Spin is, according to Wilson, the softest multi-layer ball in golf. It's a 3-piece ball with a 35 compression and is for the “control” player seeking forgiveness off the tee and more control around the greens.

And the FG Tour is a 4-layer ball with a Urethane cover and Wilson says that with a 70 compression, it's the game's softest 4-piece tour ball.

pga show 231.JPG

HOW TO APPLY

** You must be a member of the MyGolfSpy Forum (if you are not a member you can register here)

We are looking for 15 of you guys to help us put these balls through the wringer and fine out if softer really is better. 

To apply, please tell us your handicap, your driver swing speed and, since it's MyGolfSpy and history matters, your favorite Wilson Staff golfer of all time (click here for background).

Good luck and get ready to get SOFT!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Handicap: 3.5

Driver SS: 120

Favorite Wilson Staff golfer: How can I not pick Mr. Hogan?! The only other thought I had was to pick Paddy because he is the only reason I won the guess the manufacturer contest earlier in the year. Which btw was Wilson Staff! 

I was a big fan of both the previous FG tour and Duo. The Duo spin seems interesting but I haven't hit it yet. Can't wait to find out.

Edit: Was given bad info by the Wiki page so I change my favorite Wilson Staffer to Paddy for the reason above. A not so distant second would be "Long" John Daly for obvious reasons. Also my swing length is apparently similar to his LOL

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Thanks for the reminder Undershooter - I still owe you a little somthin' somthin' from that one, don't I?

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

9 handicap and 110-113 SS.

Arnold Palmer played Wilson and he's still a legend and a huge player in the golf world. He's gotta be my favorite..

I'm extremely interested in the FG Tours. I've heard great things about these balls for years now but haven't found any in stores and haven't bothered to order any.. I've heard nothing but good about them though!

Thanks for the reminder Undershooter - I still owe you a little somthin' somthin' from that one, don't I?

If your still up to send me something, I'm still up for accepting it  B)

Also I won't hesitate to test the crap out of some golf balls lol. I'm currently putting the MG C4Tour through its paces.

Pretty sure Hogan was never a Wilson Staffer. He played MacGregor before starting the Hogan Company.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Handicap: 7

Driver Swing Speed: 110

I would have to go with Paddy just because I'm younger and I never really got to see the other guys in their prime. Also he stayed with them even when they weren't a "major" brand.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Handicap : 19

Driver Swing Speed : 105-110

I would have to say Arnold Palmer. He was the man and is the man still!

I'll love to test equipment and have already started some golf ball testing. This ball is on my list so I'd love to include it!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Driver Club Head Speed is 105. 

Handicap is 5.9

My favorite Wilson Staffer is Troy Merritt because he lives in my home state of Idaho .  He is a player who has tremendous potential and we love to see him perform.  He practices at a club near my house and he is a very approachable and nice person.  

I would love to test the new balls as they seem to be a vey good answer for the most important part of golf ;  short game scoring .

I have experience testing other manufacture's golf balls ( Titelist and Srixon ) so I would love to experience the features , advantages, and benefits of the Wilson Staff ball.

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

Pretty sure Hogan was never a Wilson Staffer. He played MacGregor before starting the Hogan Company.

It had him on the wiki list you posted otherwise I wouldn't have known. It said he won the 1951 pga as a Wilson Staffer. And if he wasn't then my choice reverts to Paddy. Haha

Swing speed is 108

handicap is 20, but shrinking........

As for a Wilson Staffer, its easy to go with Arnie or what have you. But I am gonna have to gowith Payne Stewart. Always a class act.

I would give a second vote to Barbajo. He IS Wilson staff if you watch Hack to Jack..........

just sayin.

(Afterthought)

A great two for one would be testing these balls with a set of Hogans! (Yeah, maybe a bit much. Go big or go home!)

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

I've been dying to try the FG Tour ball. My driver swing speed is around 100-105 and my handicap is a 7.5 Can get numbers off of an HD Golf simulator and I use the Prov1x so would be cool to put Wilson's FG Tour X ball against it. 

My fav golfer from Wilson has to be Paddy although Streelman is slowly taking that spot over. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

handicap-8

driver swing speed-90mph

favorite Wilson staff golfer-Arnold Palmer

Driver-Sub70 849D

3 wood-Sub70 939X

5 wood-Callaway Rogue

4 hybrid-Tour Edge EXS 220

irons-Sub70 699 V2 irons

wedges-Sub70 JB wedges, 50, 54, 58

putter-Sub 70 FN 001 with Evenroll Gravity Grip

Ball-OnCore Elixir

Handicap 19

SS 90-97

Fav W/S Golfer...Arnie of course

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Handicap: 12-15 

Driver SS :105

Paddy is my Wilson guy. How do you not love a guy like Paddy? He beat my favorite Sergio twice, but I still like him for the fact he's another tinker golfer and never satisfied. Welcome to my life.

I'd love to try out the FG Tour as it's been on my radar of new balls to try out.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

It had him on the wiki list you posted otherwise I wouldn't have known. It said he won the 1951 pga as a Wilson Staffer. And if he wasn't then my choice reverts to Paddy. Haha

I think the Wilson page is wrong about the '51 PGA -- Sam Snead won it, and he was a Wilson staffer.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/history/2014/past-winners-pga-championship

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Handicap=9

Swing Speed= 110-115

Favorite Wilson staff player: Paddy. I watched him win the PGA at Oakland Hills and I like the fact that he just grinds all the time. He's had a few lean years lately but it was great to see him win earlier this year!

Handicap 5

Swing speed 95mph

Favourite Wilson staff tour player? John (killer whale driver) Daly! Padraig is great but john was a legend on the course and the bar!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Handicap : 7

Swing Speed : 120 - 125

Speed varies to what type of play I am in.

Scrambles will definitely be faster.

I play a Srixon z star in stroke play. This has been the best spin ball 100 yards in that I have tried so far. 

I play the Srixon Marathon in scrambles off the tee and Srixon z star for approaches.

I would not have a problem with switching, if they would out perform my current balls.

I loved watching Payne Stewart play. I was young when watching. I remember him as a smiling, legit golfer. He was liked by many.

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

HC: 12

Driver SS: 100-105

Favorite current staffer is Brendan Steele, all time would of course be Arnie 

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I think the Wilson page is wrong about the '51 PGA -- Sam Snead won it, and he was a Wilson staffer.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/history/2014/past-winners-pga-championship

Makes sense because I thought the only major Hogan won in 51 was the US open. It threw me off a little seeing him on the list but I wasn't going to argue lol

Handicap: 5.0

Driver SS: 120

Favorite Wilson Staff golfer: I didn't realize it, but saw through your Wiki link that Payne Stewart played Wilson Staff when he won the '89 PGA and '91 US Open.  I have to go with Payne . . .

Handicap 10.6

Driver swing Speed 125+

Favorite Wilson Staffer- It has to be Arnold Palmer, He is pretty much the reason all regular guys play golf. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Archived