I'm 59 and I can hit it 300 yards.

In august

In a ten year drought (sp?)

Downhill

With a 20+ tailwind

With a pinnacle distance ball

If I hit it square on the nose with a baby draw

After it rolls out

But seriously, "averaging" 300 is a lot different than rolling a few out there.

I hit a lot in the 260-270, but I probably average 240-250 maybe, and I've always been known as a really long hitter. But I have played with a very few long hitters. They are typically 6'-4" ish, slender, and smooth as silk. And when they hit it, the ball hisses and squirms as it leaves, and then eventually I lose sight of it as it flies away. I rarely lose sight of my balls. And when they do go long, it's usually not in the fairway.

It's also helpful to be young.

bRD?, can I ask how far you typically hit your 8 iron?

I hit my 8 iron around 175 to 180 range. I play with the Maxfli Power Max irons.

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 59 and I can hit it 300 yards.

In august

In a ten year drought (sp?)

Downhill

With a 20+ tailwind

With a pinnacle distance ball

If I hit it square on the nose with a baby draw

After it rolls out

But seriously, "averaging" 300 is a lot different than rolling a few out there.

I hit a lot in the 260-270, but I probably average 240-250 maybe, and I've always been known as a really long hitter. But I have played with a very few long hitters. They are typically 6'-4" ish, slender, and smooth as silk. And when they hit it, the ball hisses and squirms as it leaves, and then eventually I lose sight of it as it flies away. I rarely lose sight of my balls. And when they do go long, it's usually not in the fairway.

It's also helpful to be young.

bRD?, can I ask how far you typically hit your 8 iron?

That is awesome. I hope that I can be a 5.7 handicap and still hit it long when I am 59. That is cool!

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

BRDgolfing some of this may have to do with ther region of the country players live in. I've lived in three very different parts of the US and used to visit a 4th regularly. There was a noticeable difference in the distances the ball would normally go based on those regions.

The ball really went on the clay soil in Indiana during the summer and fall as well as at elevation in Arizona. You were far more likely to see someone regularly hit 300 yard drives in those places than were Sluggo lives or on the coast in CA or here in FLORIDA. Just go check tour driving distances. No one averaged 300 at Innisbrook this year. Half the field will average over 300 at the John Deere.

Regardless I hope you are noticing that no one here is being mean spirited as we answer your questions. I think many of us have played enough golf to know that while it's unlikely it's not impossible that there is someone or someones even on these forums that average over 300 off the tee. JBones comes quickly to mind.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

BRDgolfing some of this may have to do with ther region of the country players live in. I've lived in three very different parts of the US and used to visit a 4th regularly. There was a noticeable difference in the distances the ball would normally go based on those regions.

The ball really went on the clay soil in Indiana during the summer and fall as well as at elevation in Arizona. You were far more likely to see someone regularly hit 300 yard drives in those places than were Sluggo lives or on the coast in CA or here in FLORIDA. Just go check tour driving distances. No one averaged 300 at Innisbrook this year. Half the field will average over 300 at the John Deere.

Regardless I hope you are noticing that no one here is being mean spirited as we answer your questions. I think many of us have played enough golf to know that while it's unlikely it's not impossible that there is someone or someones even on these forums that average over 300 off the tee. JBones comes quickly to mind.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

I fully understand! That is why I like this site already. I do not mind people not believing it. I just think it is crazy to dog someone for saying that. Y'all seem like some good folks and I look forward to reading and learning from the experience y'all have with golf.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

I'm with Sluggo in many ways.  I'm 59, I'm a 7 handicap, and occasionally I hit a 300 yarder.  But I know I average around 235 to 240 carry on level ground.  At my home club, we have a downhill 5-par, generally playing downwind, and I regularly get inside the 200-yard markers.  On the other hand, carrying the ball 300 yards is pretty uncommon.  I do know a few guys who do it regularly, including one 5-8 slender fella.  Averaging over 300 is rare, as some have said its even rare among the pros.  I have no reason to disbelieve anyone, but I'll also play just about anyone who has a legitimate handicap for at least a beer.  I don't mind if they're 40 yards past me, I'll get 'em with cunning and guile.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm with Sluggo in many ways.  I'm 59, I'm a 7 handicap, and occasionally I hit a 300 yarder.  But I know I average around 235 to 240 carry on level ground.  At my home club, we have a downhill 5-par, generally playing downwind, and I regularly get inside the 200-yard markers.  On the other hand, carrying the ball 300 yards is pretty uncommon.  I do know a few guys who do it regularly, including one 5-8 slender fella.  Averaging over 300 is rare, as some have said its even rare among the pros.  I have no reason to disbelieve anyone, but I'll also play just about anyone who has a legitimate handicap for at least a beer.  I don't mind if they're 40 yards past me, I'll get 'em with cunning and guile.

You guys are a bunch of old farts. I'm not like you or Sluggo at all. I won't be 59 for at least another 4 months. :)

My index right now is actually 4.8. It sounds as if we could take the two of you, myself, Big Stu or Plaid Jacket we'd have a really well matched foursome.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Take me to Vegas and I am a club and a half longer since the ball just flies forever. I am rarely ever not the longest in just about every group I play in, but often times I don't tap into it on every hole since position is just as valuable as length. I caution people that I play with to never judge club selection off of what I hit since we could be playing completely different shots.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

There are not many like you said. There are though and there are people that have the potential and skill. Just not time, money and guidance. There is always some one better than the next person in anything. They have just not been found or met. Some folks are good enough, but chose to live life differently with another career. Some were and are lazy with poor choices like you talk about. Some just need a good kick in the butt to see what talent they are wasting.

No really, there is a standing offer on another site from a former mini tour player. You fly to him and you beat him 4 consecutive rounds (he's a +3 or +4) and he stakes you for a year and gives you $10k. He beats you though, no stake and you owe him $10k. No one has taken him up on it. Guys that carry a plus handicap on a 65-6800 yard course aren't the same as tour pros. Go put up a 63-65 time in and time out at 7200 yards then you might be able to talk about it. Then do it under pressure, with money on the line. Gurantee you every plus handi amateur cracks.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

10k is a lot to lose. Lol. At least for me it is. I would have to have a good bit of money to do that. Even if I was playing that good. I know I would probably be nervous.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

You guys are a bunch of old farts. I'm not like you or Sluggo at all. I won't be 59 for at least another 4 months. :)

My index right now is actually 4.8. It sounds as if we could take the two of you, myself, Big Stu or Plaid Jacket we'd have a really well matched foursome.

There's nothing I'd enjoy more!  Until I get to your part of FL, tho, I'll have to be content to joust a little bit here.  I'll tell y'all what, if I can have my wife for a partner (she's playing to about 17 now) in a net 4-ball, we'd take everyone.  She's the real competitor in the family.  And she putts like an assassin.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Y'all might be older than me but I would have no problem playing with older folks like y'all. Y'all seem to enjoy golf and have fun.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

No really, there is a standing offer on another site from a former mini tour player. You fly to him and you beat him 4 consecutive rounds (he's a +3 or +4) and he stakes you for a year and gives you $10k. He beats you though, no stake and you owe him $10k. No one has taken him up on it. Guys that carry a plus handicap on a 65-6800 yard course aren't the same as tour pros. Go put up a 63-65 time in and time out at 7200 yards then you might be able to talk about it. Then do it under pressure, with money on the line. Gurantee you every plus handi amateur cracks.

This is a sucker bet. It's his course, very few players in the world would be even money to beat a former mini tour player who still is in game shape four straight rounds on his home course, if any. i think a touring pro would be crazy to take that bet.

Pro's that make their living playing golf(not teaching pros who are too busy to practice) are rarely going to shoot above the mid-60s on the courses that most of us play. I know that Brittany often shoots in the 60s from the tips on my new course. Thats an LPGA Player at 7200 yards. Imagine what a PGA player would do.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Looks like I need to update my sig.

My cap has slipped up to an 8 now due to my arm troubles. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to recover from the surgery to get some strenGth back, and plus I'll have been golf free for a few months. So unfortunately, I'm afraid my 5.7 is no longer legit boo-hoooo

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Dang young whipper-snappers!

No respect for their elders!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

As I read the list of Pro's that's average over 300. The question I have, is the average a total average, or is this just the average with the driver, I believe the stat in the chart earlier is showing average drive, all drives, not just the drives with the driver.

I do believe there are amateurs that can average over 300 if they only take the ones hit with driver.

I will say that there are some very good ameteur golfers, and some that can hit the ball a very long distance, but to say that you average 300+ is not realistic, unless the only drives measured are ones that were played with driver

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

That is a average with just a driver. I use a driver on every hole at my course except the par threes of course. There might be one par for that I use a iron on pending wind situation.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

That is a average with just a driver. I use a driver on every hole at my course except the par threes of course. There might be one par for that I use a iron on pending wind situation.

I'd like to play There. If I wanted I could easily get away with only hitting driver once at my home course. And while it's not a long course its almost 7000 yards from the back boxes.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Our course is around 6200 from the blue and 6600 from the golds. It is pretty much flat if you fly your tee shot around 270.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

This is a sucker bet. It's his course, very few players in the world would be even money to beat a former mini tour player who still is in game shape four straight rounds on his home course, if any. i think a touring pro would be crazy to take that bet.

Pro's that make their living playing golf(not teaching pros who are too busy to practice) are rarely going to shoot above the mid-60s on the courses that most of us play. I know that Brittany often shoots in the 60s from the tips on my new course. Thats an LPGA Player at 7200 yards. Imagine what a PGA player would do.

No, not his home course. He'll let you pick any 7200 yard course within a hundred Miles of him. The reason the money is there is because he wants to see what you do under pressure. He's staking your touring for a year. He wants to see how you play under pressure. You crack under the pressure of $10k, you'll crack under pressure with hundreds of thousands on the line. And no, a touring pro wouldn't be crazy taking the bet. +3 or +4 is nothing to a tour pro, not one that's any good. There's not an amateur out there that is going to beat a touring pro in any set up. Sorry , ain't happening. You don't get that good at golf with the aspiration of not playing on the tour.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

As I read the list of Pro's that's average over 300. The question I have, is the average a total average, or is this just the average with the driver, I believe the stat in the chart earlier is showing average drive, all drives, not just the drives with the driver.

I do believe there are amateurs that can average over 300 if they only take the ones hit with driver.

I will say that there are some very good ameteur golfers, and some that can hit the ball a very long distance, but to say that you average 300+ is not realistic, unless the only drives measured are ones that were played with driver

PGA tour driver averages are based on 3 holes. They measure distance on those 3 holes for the weekend and at least 2 are opposing directions. Doesn't matter what club you hit it counts.

In The Bag

Rookie you misunderstood me - I'm meaning to say that a touring pro wouldn't beat him this guy, your mini tour guy, 4 straight times.  I would think that you know me well enough by now to know that I have a healthy respect for what a playing pro is capable of doing. 

This one is a sucker bet, there's no way the amateur could possibly win it even if it were Jordan Spieth three years ago.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I don't think it's extremely uncommon for golfers that aren't professionals of some sort to hit the ball 300 yards.

I think that 300 is held up as this mystical number that everyone is trying to reach when hitting driver for whatever reason. Because there are a lot of folks out there that can't reach 300 yards off the tee, instead of giving a person the benefit of the doubt during a discussion about distance, it's easier to write them off as not knowing what they're talking about.

With that being said, hitting 300 occasionally (which I do), hitting 300 with regularity, and averaging 300 yards are 3 totally different things. I think there are probably a good number of golfers that fall under the former, but very few that fall into the latter 2 categories.

I honestly think I've played with less than 20 players in my 4.5 years of golf who can hit it 300+ without help of some sort (cart path, wind, etc.). While it's definitely not a common occurrence, there are plenty of players out there who do bomb it.

Rookie you misunderstood me - I'm meaning to say that a touring pro wouldn't beat him this guy, your mini tour guy, 4 straight times. I would think that you know me well enough by now to know that I have a healthy respect for what a playing pro is capable of doing.

This one is a sucker bet, there's no way the amateur could possibly win it even if it were Jordan Spieth three years ago.

I don't think it is. I'll go back to my example earlier. The local guy that could play at least on mini tours and is good enough where he could go pro if he spent more time. His course handicap is +3 at the local country club. He shoots in the 69's regularly. Boo Weekley plays here fair often (his instructor coaches out of the local CC as his home base). He shoots smooth 66's and has went very low here before. He rapes the guy that plays the course all the time and knows every inch of every green better than a pro caddie would. Jason Bohn does the same thing when he's in town. So does Steven Bowditch. All of them beat this guy like a drum and he's a legit plus handi. The pros are on a different level.

In The Bag

I played 27 holes today with my longest being 324. My overall average was 311 out of 17 drives with my driver. I hit the ball okay. This is under my average for the past few rounds. I was also scattering my t shots. I did shoot 40, 41, 39. I short chipped about 6 times on top of not being a good putter. Lol!

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

I don't think it is. I'll go back to my example earlier. The local guy that could play at least on mini tours and is good enough where he could go pro if he spent more time. His course handicap is +3 at the local country club. He shoots in the 69's regularly. Boo Weekley plays here fair often (his instructor coaches out of the local CC as his home base). He shoots smooth 66's and has went very low here before. He rapes the guy that plays the course all the time and knows every inch of every green better than a pro caddie would. Jason Bohn does the same thing when he's in town. So does Steven Bowditch. All of them beat this guy like a drum and he's a legit plus handi. The pros are on a different level.

Okay I'm going to try again. What you are saying is what I'm saying or trying to in regards to pros. Actually it's perfect. If the bet is two Pro's, one on the regular tour the other on the Hooters tour playing four consecutive rounds against one another on a reasonably tough course head to head stroke play the chances are reasonably good that the Hooters tour guy will win one of those four rounds. It happens all the time in fact even at regular tour events.

I'm not saying that a local amateur would beat a touring pro under that same scenario so if that's what you're getting from what I'm writing I should hit undo type.

At any rate the bet is a sucker bet because no AM is going to go up against a pro and beat him four straight rounds even if the AM is a 20 year old Tiger or Jack. It's the four straight times that make it difficult, almost anything can happen once.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

You have to beat him for 4 rounds to get him to pay your costs to tour for a year. The $10k is a side bet basically that is just to put a small amount of pressure on you.

In The Bag

If it was total score over four rounds, like a tournament, I bet he would have some takers. But four consecutive rounds is a stretch for anyone, even a current pro.

Rookie do you know which it is? I originally read your post in that way. That's what causes me to write that it's a sucker bet. If its simply beat him over four rounds head to head stroke play I'm sure he'd get a few takers. Throwing in the 10k really tilts the odds in his favor. He's used to the pressure of playing for that type of money while the AM is not. However it would not be impossible at that point so he'd have a few takers.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived