Pro's are not the only ones that drive it 300 +

Our Sponsors

I hit the older taylormade pretty consistent. The fairway was not missed as much. I think the shaft was the reason why the rbz was going everywhere.

I appreciate the information. I also have a self taught swing that I believe with some work with a pro would help out also.

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No really, there is a standing offer on another site from a former mini tour player. You fly to him and you beat him 4 consecutive rounds (he's a +3 or +4) and he stakes you for a year and gives you $

I just now realized that we're being sandbagged.  revkev claims that his index is 4.8, but his profile says he plays to a 3.  Seems like some creative negotiations are underway!   And lest anyone th

Oh I didn't see this thread before posting on the other one. Sorry, here's why people are sceptical. Please don't over interpret what I'm writing, I'm answering your question not doubting your drivi

Posted Images

I was still happy with the rbz. I just need to change the shaft to make it longer. The shorter shaft had me feeling different. Even at just a inch and a half.

An inch and a half is a lot of difference In a driver shaft. Also a shorter shaft should make it more controllable unless the shaft profile doesn't fit you. At 128 you should be in a something on the upper end of extra stiff.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Only 2 years?

Fast learner- what can i say? 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Rogue 9*, UST chrome 7F5T 

Fairway:     :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood, UST chrome 7F5T

Irons:        :titelist-small: TMB 3i &  :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     :titelist-small: Voke SM7 LTD Jet Black 

Putter:       :bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #9

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

All things being equal Pro's would rather play a wedge out of the rough but with a good angle to the pin than a 7 iron from the fairway. If you haven't read Every Shot Counts yet you should. There are holes or course conditions that are exceptions but in general those guys don't mind bombing and gouging it.

Irons and par3's seem to be the time to play 75-80%. But like you said they don't mind hitting out of the rough if it means a wedge into a green. As you can see from Fowler's performance Sunway where he hit that 320+ drive on 18 and only had 110 or something along that for his approach.

Before the groove change it made Pro's far more cavalier. Use to have a non conforming Callway X forged mack daddy wedge- That thing would spin and would tear the cover off even the hardest of top flites, velocity's. Regardless of lie.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Rogue 9*, UST chrome 7F5T 

Fairway:     :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood, UST chrome 7F5T

Irons:        :titelist-small: TMB 3i &  :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     :titelist-small: Voke SM7 LTD Jet Black 

Putter:       :bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #9

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Irons and par3's seem to be the time to play 75-80%. But like you said they don't mind hitting out of the rough if it means a wedge into a green. As you can see from Fowler's performance Sunway where he hit that 320+ drive on 18 and only had 110 or something along that for his approach.

Before the groove change it made Pro's far more cavalier. Use to have a non conforming Callway X forged mack daddy wedge- That thing would spin and would tear the cover off even the hardest of top flites, velocity's. Regardless of lie.

Biggest difference with the old grooves was out of the rough. In the fairway I don't see a huge difference. Good contact assumed anyway.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

An inch and a half is a lot of difference In a driver shaft. Also a shorter shaft should make it more controllable unless the shaft profile doesn't fit you. At 128 you should be in a something on the upper end of extra stiff.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

I believe the in accurate drives are from me being 6'4 and my posture being different. I will get a better and longer shaft when I get the money. Thank you for the info.

• Like 1

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are a bunch of old farts. I'm not like you or Sluggo at all. I won't be 59 for at least another 4 months. :)

My index right now is actually 4.8. It sounds as if we could take the two of you, myself, Big Stu or Plaid Jacket we'd have a really well matched foursome.

I just now realized that we're being sandbagged.  revkev claims that his index is 4.8, but his profile says he plays to a 3.  Seems like some creative negotiations are underway!

And lest anyone think I'm serious here, this is completely in jest.  

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The last revision wasn't so kind either Dave - strokes, more strokes that's what I say!!!! :)  Last two rounds were 82,85.  Oh well range work today, tee times tomorrow, Sunday (afternoon) and Monday will help to take care f that plus school ends Friday so I'll be into the playing twice a week pattern for a while.  I'll be back soon.

To BRDGolfing's original concern I had the classic this week.  I was at Dick's to pick up a box of ZStars (last iteration on sale for $28.99).  I ran into a kid that I've played with a few times who is working there.  Good enough kid, okay but not great player, he was telling me that he's hitting the ball 20 yards farther than he used to.  So now he's popular for scrambles because he hits it 300 he said.  I didn't even comment -  If he gained 20 yards - great - but honestly we hit the ball the same distance which means his top end used to be 250 -so the top end now would be ......... not 300 and that would be top end no average.

There's your issue BRDGolfing - tons of people claim to average 300 yards of the tee and very few do.  All of us know way more people who were full of it making the claim than people who actually hit it that far.  Most of us are civil enough to not attack an individual on a board about their reported distance because we can't know.  I'm glad you're here where that's the case.  Keep bombing it and I hope to play with you sometime.  You didn't answer before but where do you live in Georgia?

My son is stationed in Kingsbay and was just assigned there again for the next 3 years. 

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

The last revision wasn't so kind either Dave - strokes, more strokes that's what I say!!!! :)  Last two rounds were 82,85.  Oh well range work today, tee times tomorrow, Sunday (afternoon) and Monday will help to take care f that plus school ends Friday so I'll be into the playing twice a week pattern for a while.  I'll be back soon.

To BRDGolfing's original concern I had the classic this week.  I was at Dick's to pick up a box of ZStars (last iteration on sale for $28.99).  I ran into a kid that I've played with a few times who is working there.  Good enough kid, okay but not great player, he was telling me that he's hitting the ball 20 yards farther than he used to.  So now he's popular for scrambles because he hits it 300 he said.  I didn't even comment -  If he gained 20 yards - great - but honestly we hit the ball the same distance which means his top end used to be 250 -so the top end now would be ......... not 300 and that would be top end no average.

There's your issue BRDGolfing - tons of people claim to average 300 yards of the tee and very few do.  All of us know way more people who were full of it making the claim than people who actually hit it that far.  Most of us are civil enough to not attack an individual on a board about their reported distance because we can't know.  I'm glad you're here where that's the case.  Keep bombing it and I hope to play with you sometime.  You didn't answer before but where do you live in Georgia?

My son is stationed in Kingsbay and was just assigned there again for the next 3 years. 

I understand where you are coming from! Thank you for the positive attitude for sure.

I am sorry about not answering where I live in Georgia. I thought I did mention it. I live in Lowndes County. We have 5 courses. Four are public and one is Private. My regular course is Stone Creek. The nicest course around is Kinderlou. They are all under 50 dollars to play on the weekend. The last time I checked. (About 3 months ago)

• Like 1

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A