Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Credible on course drive measurement!

BRDGOLFING

What are some ideas for accurately measuring your tee shots with a driver while playing?

Lets see what is out there to where people can have credibility when saying what they average off the tee!

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

Best way would be to find a relatively flat hole and have a buddy stay on the tee box and laser him where your ball ends up.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Well i dont think survey equipment is in my budget. So I will have to settle for GPS apps on the phone.

Supposedly, phones are accurate to within 5 yards right?

I can take a +/-5 yard margin of error.  

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

When I am curious, I either check yardage where the tees are and then yardage to the stick.  Of course there's some swag there, but if the drive and hole are relatively straight, then its at least close. 

The other one is to use my rangefinder and shoot back to the tee (ball washer, tree etc.) that I know the distance from the tee markers.

I don't do either often.  I just don't really care what that number is.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I've also lasered bunkers or trees on the hole I'm hitting and if my ball is next to them then I know I have hit it X far

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Doesn't matter to me.  It's either 220, 221 whatever it takes.   :)

Excellent use of a Michael Keaton quote sir!   +1

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

If you are looking for a way to prove to the internet that you average 300+ off the tee, I don't think there is one short of playing with someone.  I'm more than happy to take your word for it though.  I play with a guy who hits it that far and it's just plain fun to watch.

On the other side if this is a general discussion of good ways to measure shot length then everything mentioned above is a good start.  I'll add in that most GPS devices have a shot measuring feature if you happen to use one of those.  There are also a ton of both free and pay apps for your phone that can measure.  The GPS in phones should be plenty accurate enough to measure shot distances.

Game golf also has a free app you can use even without their tagging device.  Just take a few minutes to create an account and setup your clubs in the app.  Then before you hit tell it to tag and which club are hitting.  When you get to your ball just tag the next club and it will record the distances for the previous shot.  jdiddy did a nice review of the app over here http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13697-game-golf-the-app/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I guess I will add here that I'm over the "I can hit it XX many yards" thing. 

Having said that it is useful to know how far I do hit it so that I can avoid hitting through a fairway on a dogleg or I know whether I can clear a trap, etc.  If in doubt I will go down to 3-wood.  Letting off the driver for me is an invitation for the ball to go left.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

This isn't that difficult. GPS works and is accurate enough. Lots of free apps for the phone, get one, use it and you will be able to figure out you average driving distance soon enough. I have been fascinated lately because of the driver shaft test. My average driver on the launch monitor I've used for that test has varied between 231-236. I've had two rounds where I had easy access to GPS lately (I generally use a laser and it's more difficult to measure actual driving distance with that device, plus I know how far I can carry my driver and where my ball might end up if I max it out). I averaged 233 and 241. I'm thinking the LM was pretty accurate.

Generally speaking if you haven't done it before you will find that you are no where near as long as you think you are. There are always exceptions. Generally speaking the lower your handicap the more likely you are to accurately know how far you hit it. There are very few exceptions.

All that matters in the end is that you know how far you hit the ball for real, both carry and general run out, when you are planning your course strategy. Certainly don't worry about how far someone says they hit it on a golf forum. Worry about your game on the course when it counts.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

These are some great responses. I use my phone for GPS distance tracking. That is pretty much what I am able to use consistently when I play. It some times seems to go crazy and not track the correct position on the hole.I wasn't sure how accurate it actually was.So I started this thread to figure out what the best way to track your yardage is. The course that I play the most is inaccurate 100 yards in with the actual concrete marker. I have just set up golflogix app. I will try that also. I have been using swing by swing because it is free.

I do like to keep track of my drives when I play. I have been testing balls and a few new drivers to try out before making a purchase. It will be hard to part with my old faithful. This will help also.

Now I need to learn how to putt better to lower my handicap. A long drive is not worth anything unless you have a good short game.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

I use GPS and push the button and go to the ball.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

If you are looking for a way to prove to the internet that you average 300+ off the tee, I don't think there is one short of playing with someone. I'm more than happy to take your word for it though. I play with a guy who hits it that far and it's just plain fun to watch.

On the other side if this is a general discussion of good ways to measure shot length then everything mentioned above is a good start. I'll add in that most GPS devices have a shot measuring feature if you happen to use one of those. There are also a ton of both free and pay apps for your phone that can measure. The GPS in phones should be plenty accurate enough to measure shot distances.

Game golf also has a free app you can use even without their tagging device. Just take a few minutes to create an account and setup your clubs in the app. Then before you hit tell it to tag and which club are hitting. When you get to your ball just tag the next club and it will record the distances for the previous shot. jdiddy did a nice review of the app over here http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13697-game-golf-the-app/

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

I appreciate the reply! I understand what you are saying.

That app you shared is the best that I have seen on the phone. I will try that one also. I like the real picture view. Some of the other ones have it like that but are dark.

Thank you!

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

My only suggestion with the GPS apps is to make sure it "zeros" out when you mark it on the tee box. I use Golfshot on my phone to measure my shots and I've noticed from time to time that I need to mark my ball and take a step or 2 just to ensure that its not starting off at 6 or 8 yards or something like that.

I guess it's harder to explain than it sounds.. Just make sure that when you take a few steps from the tee box that it only says 2-3 yards and not 8-10!

In my experiences, theoo has provided the most accurate way to measure your tee shot. If you have folks behind you and they're playing the same tees, just laser them from where your ball is once they are standing on the tee box. This obviously requires that you have a rangefinder, but it's as accurate of a measurement as you're going to get.

GPS are usually pretty good, but do flake out from time to time.  Probably UFO's blocking the satellites or something.

Lasering the guys on the tee waiting to hit is the most accurate in my opinion.

Picking out a tree or ball washer or bench works too if it's right next to the tee for the day.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Generally, I use my GPS device as it appears to be pretty accurate.  I also use math, the distance to the hole minus the distance to the hole where the ball stops.  The first comes from the scorecard, and the second is based upon where how far away the 150 marker is.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

This is one of the things I'm liking about Game Golf -- it will give you a pretty darned good idea of how far you just smacked it.  Was using a 3 wood off the tee a couple of weeks ago and found that I nailed one about 260 yards (carry + roll) and another a shade over 200 yards (no roll).  

What does it tell me? That I'm a schizophrenic golfer.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I use my laser.  On the tee, I note where the ball washer is in relation to the tee markers.  When I get to the ball, I laser the ball washer and add or subtract the yardage between the washer and the tee markers.  

This is one of the things I'm liking about Game Golf -- it will give you a pretty darned good idea of how far you just smacked it.  Was using a 3 wood off the tee a couple of weeks ago and found that I nailed one about 260 yards (carry + roll) and another a shade over 200 yards (no roll).  

What does it tell me? That I'm a schizophrenic golfer.

LOL! Do not feel bad about the 3 wood. I have yet to master one.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

• SPY VIP

I like to manually pace off my drives and just to ensure accuracy re-pace back to the tee. Often the group behind me is not to appreciative of this, but that's fine I need to know this data. When I return to my ball I will then use a laser and hit an object or person back on the tee box. After that I'll check my GPS for final verification. I will then take the average of the three methods and go with that final number.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I like to manually pace off my drives and just to ensure accuracy re-pace back to the tee. Often the group behind me is not to appreciative of this, but that's fine I need to know this data. When I return to my ball I will then use a laser and hit an object or person back on the tee box. After that I'll check my GPS for final verification. I will then take the average of the three methods and go with that final number.

That's a very interesting method.  Do you use strides that are roughly the equivalent of a yard or do you pace it off heal-toe-heal-toe and then adjust for shoe size?  I prefer the heal-toe method myself, but being a size 11 I have to add another step every 11 steps or I'll short-change myself.  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Seems legit.....

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

• SPY VIP

That's a very interesting method.  Do you use strides that are roughly the equivalent of a yard or do you pace it off heal-toe-heal-toe and then adjust for shoe size?  I prefer the heal-toe method myself, but being a size 11 I have to add another step every 11 steps or I'll short-change myself.  

After many years of hardened practice I have developed the ability the step the perfect yard repetitively. I find that pacing is more accurate as atmospheric pressure, weather, magnetic distortions, most cellular waves, certain animal anal gasses, extreme sun glare, and battery strength interrupt lasers and most GPS devices. I also do not like to have my GPS on most of the time since higher powers can track your location easily and I prefer to be off the grid.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Seems like overkill to me.  If you can step off the perfect yard, why go back?  Unless you have obstructions between the ball and tee, the laser is more accurate anyway, especially if you are walking up and down slopes in the fairway.  I don't need to know any better than GPS and/or laser measurements.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

After many years of hardened practice I have developed the ability the step the perfect yard repetitively. I find that pacing is more accurate as atmospheric pressure, weather, magnetic distortions, most cellular waves, certain animal anal gasses, extreme sun glare, and battery strength interrupt lasers and most GPS devices. I also do not like to have my GPS on most of the time since higher powers can track your location easily and I prefer to be off the grid.

Actually, now that I've checked my course measurement notes, I can see I've made a mathematical error.  What I should be doing is adding another heal-toe step ever 12 steps, then add an inch, and then start over.  12 steps with a size 11 shoe is 132 inches - that puts me 12 inches short of 12 feet, or 4 yards.  So the drives I've been counting as 252 yards (62 sets of 12 steps), have really been nearly 272 yards, since I have to add roughly 62 feet to each drive.  And 62 feet is 20.66 yards...

Maybe I'm not such a short knocker after all.  It's all been trouble with math....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You guys are too funny.

Actually Barbajo's game golf experience illustrates why it's unlikely that a player averages 300. His normal drive may well be 300 but he's going to miss hit a few or encounter lush into the wind conditions that don't allow for roll out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You guys are too funny.

Actually Barbajo's game golf experience illustrates why it's unlikely that a player averages 300. His normal drive may well be 300 but he's going to miss hit a few or encounter lush into the wind conditions that don't allow for roll out.

I think you're correct Rev -- in addition, there may be times when you don't want to hit it 300 yards.  For instance, my 203 yard 3-wood was, for the hole I played, almost exactly the right distance.  The 260 yard 3-wood was actually the wrong distance -- it was 3 yards too long and wound up in a pond.  I needed my 257 yard club.

Also - with tongue firmly planted in cheek - my math above is off.  Based on thinking that 11 feet was really 12 feet, I'd be averaging only 232 yards, not 252, and certainly not 272.  My feets failed me now....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I like to REALLY piss people off. I hit it so far though that it's easier to pace it off to the center of the green and back. Then I look back at the tee and the pick person that looks the most annoyed to shoot the laser right off of their face.

You guys are too funny.

This is correct and why I don't claim to average 300. I hit a tree off the first tee the other day and it went 206. That's a big hit to the average.

Archived