TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lie Angle bending cost

I want to get my irons and wedges lie angle bent.  asked a clubmaker nearby, the cost is $9.99/iron.  And the fitting itselft only costs about $30.  

I have a total of 10 clubs so the total cost would be $130 including the fitting session.   Is this price reasonable?

I will bend them for nothing! :)

It's usually going to be in that $10 range for them to touch your clubs, $20-25 for a reshaft, $15 to put on an adapter.

I think you could go on one of the Big Box store's websites and they'd have a price list to check.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I just paid $6 a club to bend them and $10 for an adapter install in Ohio. Guy is very laid back though.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

That's way too much. I recently had all my clubs checked and "tweaked" by my fitter. He didn't charge me anything since I've bought a lot of clubs from him. But... I stood there while he checked each one (9 clubs) and it took about 10 minutes. I don't know what's reasonable but I'd think $25 - $30 bucks? Super, at the rate your club-fitter charges that's $539/hr. It ain't rocket science. I'd look elsewhere.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It's maybe a bit high, but not outrageous if you haven't bought clubs there. $30 to fit you isn't bad. If he's adjusting each one and not just "checking" them, it will take more than 10 minutes. Depending on how much he has you swing and discuss your fit, you will probably take up an hour of his time all together.

You can't look at the exact number of minutes it takes to adjust a club and extrapolate that out to a price per hour. The guy is in business to make a living and has operating expenses to be there in the first place. He's not there to break even or give his time away. If you've been doing business with someone, they can afford to give you some time. But for a first time customer walking in for that, it only makes sense for him to get paid. And that's not a bad price if that's the case here.

That's way too much. I recently had all my clubs checked and "tweaked" by my fitter. He didn't charge me anything since I've bought a lot of clubs from him. But... I stood there while he checked each one (9 clubs) and it took about 10 minutes. I don't know what's reasonable but I'd think $25 - $30 bucks? Super, at the rate your club-fitter charges that's $539/hr. It ain't rocket science. I'd look elsewhere.

Maybe your irons are Miura.  Miura dealers give one year of free service of club adjusting.   But you bought something from the guy, it means something.... I never used this clubmaker's service before...

Maybe your irons are Miura.  Miura dealers give one year of free service of club adjusting.   But you bought something from the guy, it means something.... I never used this clubmaker's service before...

It's maybe a bit high, but not outrageous if you haven't bought clubs there. $30 to fit you isn't bad. If he's adjusting each one and not just "checking" them, it will take more than 10 minutes. Depending on how much he has you swing and discuss your fit, you will probably take up an hour of his time all together.

You can't look at the exact number of minutes it takes to adjust a club and extrapolate that out to a price per hour. The guy is in business to make a living and has operating expenses to be there in the first place. He's not there to break even or give his time away. If you've been doing business with someone, they can afford to give you some time. But for a first time customer walking in for that, it only makes sense for him to get paid. And that's not a bad price if that's the case here.

My irons are Wishon. I agree that he offers me "free" adjustments. I've also had other clubs in past years adjusted for loft and lie. Mostly lie. I can't really recall what another guy charged me but I do know it wasn't high. Again... I know the specs and handed them to him. He didn't fit me. And... I wasn't asking for a fitting. Just an adjustment. Lie is the biggest one that gets off. Lofts too but to a lesser degree. If I'm going in to have my clubs looked at then I expect them to be both "checked" and adjusted. Why have them checked and not adjusted? Those two terms go hand in hand. Check and adjust as necessary. Anyway and again... It's not rocket science. You just need the necessary equipment. Shop around if you can.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

No, it's not unreasonable. That's pretty

Much the standard anywhere. Lots of places throw the fitting and bending in for free if you buy the clubs there.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Wow I guess there's quite the diversity in club repair costs. This really is spot on what I would expect to pay at any one of a half dozen places in my area.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Wow I guess there's quite the diversity in club repair costs. This really is spot on what I would expect to pay at any one of a half dozen places in my area.

So you think this is the market price for lie angle fitting and adjustments? 

This seems a bit on the steep side to me. At our shop, we charge less than half, and no fee for the fitting..  It might be regional, but I would never pay anything near $10 per club for a lie angle adjustment.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I paid $6 a club before I bought my own bending machine.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

No kidding lol... Especially when everyone wants it free (which I usually do for friends).

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

A little off topic here...Rookie have you ever bent Ping irons? My instructor does a ton of club work but said he wouldn't even attempt to bend my G25s.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

If you're not a regular or didn't purchase there, you should have to pay $5-$10 per club. Don't like it? Then you go spend the $800 on your own machine and see how long it takes for you to recover that $800 at $5 a club!

Yup. And it's not just the machine. It's the shop, everything it takes to keep that paid for, and his time.

If you buy a set of clubs from him, I bet he would make adjustments to them for a very small fee if not for free. Bring in clubs bought who knows where, it's only fair to pay enough to make it worth his while.

regardless of the cost, I just got my irons bent yesterday.   It's funny because I need my Mizuno irons (MP H4) bent 3 degrees flatter.  And the staff could only bend it 2 degree flatter.   He said he couldn't bend it more than 2 degrees after trying.   My mizunos are grain flow forged.  

You can bend Pings no problem. They "hammer" then into place but they'll bend a few degrees just fine

In The Bag

regardless of the cost, I just got my irons bent yesterday.   It's funny because I need my Mizuno irons (MP H4) bent 3 degrees flatter.  And the staff could only bend it 2 degree flatter.   He said he couldn't bend it more than 2 degrees after trying.   My mizunos are grain flow forged.

That's interesting... Just bent a buddies (like I said, try getting your money back from buying a bending machine lol) but just bent his MP-54 or MP-64 four and five degrees NO PROBLEM. They were about 2-3* up and he wanted them 2* flat. Most forged irons are a dream to bend.

13 years ago I spent a week with Ron Gring, Daphne Alabama iirc, and while I was there he had me work as an asset to help him fit people and showed me how to bend clubs. First one I ever did was for practice. He had me take a vokey (brand new) and bend it in 1* increments until it snapped. I think it started spider webbing at 5-6* and went to about 8 or 9*! Who knows, could've been less, could've been more, you know how those fish tales work- as you get older they get grander! Ha! Maybe I'll do it again to see.

You think forged are great to bend, find an older BeCu Eye2 to bend. You could do it one handed I believe

In The Bag

That's interesting... Just bent a buddies (like I said, try getting your money back from buying a bending machine lol) but just bent his MP-54 or MP-64 four and five degrees NO PROBLEM. They were about 2-3* up and he wanted them 2* flat. Most forged irons are a dream to bend.

13 years ago I spent a week with Ron Gring, Daphne Alabama iirc, and while I was there he had me work as an asset to help him fit people and showed me how to bend clubs. First one I ever did was for practice. He had me take a vokey (brand new) and bend it in 1* increments until it snapped. I think it started spider webbing at 5-6* and went to about 8 or 9*! Who knows, could've been less, could've been more, you know how those fish tales work- as you get older they get grander! Ha! Maybe I'll do it again to see.

The MP-H4 has a thicker sole and the long irons are shovels.  They are more like hybrids than irons (hollow body).  That could be the reason they are not easily bent.   The short irons are ok but I don't want different lie angle progression from long irons to short irons.  all bent 2 degrees flatter.  I have yet to hit them yet.  I will go to a range on Friday. 

Also this is unsual because I have an average height (5'10") and about standard wrist to floor measurements (90 cm?).  All my previous irons are all standard lie angle.  This is the first time I have to bend my irons flatter. 

The MP-H4 has a thicker sole and the long irons are shovels.  They are more like hybrids than irons (hollow body).  That could be the reason they are not easily bent.   The short irons are ok but I don't want different lie angle progression from long irons to short irons.  all bent 2 degrees flatter.  I have yet to hit them yet.  I will go to a range on Friday. 

Also this is unsual because I have an average height (5'10") and about standard wrist to floor measurements (90 cm?).  All my previous irons are all standard lie angle.  This is the first time I have to bend my irons flatter. 

Unless they have unusually short hosels, I don't see why they couldn't bend them more.  Course their policy may be 2 degrees either direction as a max (I know lots of places are like that).  The good news is you could always shorten a half inch and make up that 3rd degree.

In The Bag

Correct me if I am wrong, but Aren't mizuno's irons come standard 1* upright compared to industry standard.

There really aren't any industry standards for anything, so... If comparing lie angles you'd probably have to compare like categories- GI, SGI, etc. to know.

I do know that they come 1/4" short of standard, that is only if you consider industry standard a 38" five iron.

Lie angles are a giant pain in the a** from what I've experienced and learned about. Nothing is standard. So just because you order a set of irons from a manufacturer that are let's say 2* upright doesn't mean they're all 2* upright. Each manufacturer has different standards and then after that they have "acceptable tolerances". So even if you order a set of irons that have the standard lie from a manufacturer you may not necessarily get a set of irons that all match their "standard" lie angle. It probably won't be noticeable to most players, but I also have self-diagnosed OCD. Same thing goes for lofts which is why I'd like to eventually buy my own equipment and do it myself.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Lie angles are a giant pain in the a** from what I've experienced and learned about. Nothing is standard. So just because you order a set of irons from a manufacturer that are let's say 2* upright doesn't mean they're all 2* upright. Each manufacturer has different standards and then after that they have "acceptable tolerances". So even if you order a set of irons that have the standard lie from a manufacturer you may not necessarily get a set of irons that all match their "standard" lie angle. It probably won't be noticeable to most players, but I also have self-diagnosed OCD. Same thing goes for lofts which is why I'd like to eventually buy my own equipment and do it myself.

That's one reason I bought a loft lie machine as well.  And if I'm ordering irons, I specify specific lie angles, not just say 2 degrees upright, usually.  That or tell them to just send them standard and bend them myself.

In The Bag

Related question, it's my understanding that some companies make all irons to their neutral and then bend where as others actually make lies to spec. Is that true and if so does it really matter.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived