TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lie Angle bending cost

Related question, it's my understanding that some companies make all irons to their neutral and then bend where as others actually make lies to spec. Is that true and if so does it really matter.

It's nearly impossible to make any iron to an exact spec therefore most (if not all) OEM's adjust their irons into a tolerance that most of us mortals can use. How each OEM delivers this level of tolerance is ultimately variable - +/- 1 degree is usually acceptable, but any other level of sorting to tolerance is passed onto the end user. In other words if you really want a set "blueprinted" to spec, then you pay for the privilege, otherwise your $1000 retail set would cost $1500. 

They make them to tolerance. You can't cast any head to exact spec nor forge them to that specific spec. They come out of the mold within tolerance.

There's actually a very long an informative post on WRX by Tom Wishon about if.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Related question, it's my understanding that some companies make all irons to their neutral and then bend where as others actually make lies to spec. Is that true and if so does it really matter.

Yes that is true Rev. They all have them created to spec (within variance or tolerance) and only bend at factory for extreme cases. Callaway will fill their top line a certain color, ping has their color code, all determining which lie is which.

This does matter. Metal when bent will always try and return to its original form. So if you buy standard and bend three degrees over time it will try on its own to go back to standard.

Thanks gentlemen. I learned a couple of things here.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 4 weeks later...

We offer the service at $20 for testing of each club and $5 for loft and lie adjustment for each club. south of Columbus

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 2 weeks later...

While being in school I'm lucky enough to "work" at a golf shop. The biggest surprise to me has been the how far off (like variations in lie angle, loft, length, etc.) clubs can be straight from any major company. I've had guys order clubs 2* upright, and SOMETIMES the clubs will range from a few degrees flat to more upright than the customer wanted. So I always tell the guys that come in that really care about their specs to have the clubs checked just to make sure everything is correct.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

While being in school I'm lucky enough to "work" at a golf shop. The biggest surprise to me has been the how far off (like variations in lie angle, loft, length, etc.) clubs can be straight from any major company. I've had guys order clubs 2* upright, and SOMETIMES the clubs will range from a few degrees flat to more upright than the customer wanted. So I always tell the guys that come in that really care about their specs to have the clubs checked just to make sure everything is correct.

I've noticed the varience in specs isn't just between OEMs and between sets of clubs, but differences both "flat" & "upright" WITHIN a set.  The only way to ensure you have consistency is to have a written copy of your loft/lie/length and have each and every club checked and adjusted to your personal specs.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

My one major gripe about loft/lie and demo/fitting carts?  How often are those demos checked to be on spec?  If they're not on spec then what's to say they're correct for you?  I've never gotten that dynamic of trying a demo and ordering based on the demo then taking clubs to play.  I have and will always prefer to bend the club I'm actually going to be using versus using a fitting cart.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

My one major gripe about loft/lie and demo/fitting carts? How often are those demos checked to be on spec? If they're not on spec then what's to say they're correct for you? I've never gotten that dynamic of trying a demo and ordering based on the demo then taking clubs to play. I have and will always prefer to bend the club I'm actually going to be using versus using a fitting cart.

Mizuno carts have a specific head that is used for fitting lie only.

Just thought I'd chime in.  

Like Rookie, I've been amazed at how far off stated spec new sets have been, but then I have my own clubs checked and bent about twice a year cause they move so much.   Out of 9 clubs, 2 or 3 are always tweaked.   Usually the wedges.   They simply move and change.   Sometimes I can see and feel it.  I've taken clubs in and said to the guy "This is 1 degree flat, but it should be 1 degree up" and been right.   Nothing moved easier than my old Ping ISI nickels.  You breathed on them they bent.   My wife could bend them in her hands.

That said, on the spot BENDING IS FREE in all the Uinta Golf shops in Utah, so I'd blanche at the $9 price.   Just a service feature they introduced to get your business.   Once they intro'd that policy, I abandoned my desire for a Mitchell.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Archived