Our Sponsors

Hell of finish by young Mr. Fowler.  

So, is he still overrated? Was he ever overrated? Does this open the floodgates for him? 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think Fowler has always had the talent, but his politics and presentation created a culture around him that set him up to be disrespected.  Golf remains a sport where being different is disrespected, and Fowler, like Bubba has always been a little different from the crowd.  It is part of why the young kids love him, but he just didn't speak to the older generation, so he never got the respect of some of the more palatable players that fit a certain mold. Factor in the style of game that Fowler plays, and while his results put him in the mix, he doesn't have many "Sportscenter" moments.

What he has established though, is that he plays steady and consistent of late, and if nothing else, this weekend showed that when he is on, he can play aggressive and win.  Personally, I hope this is a confidence builder, because I think he, along with some of this younger generation of players, can really get out there and sell golf to a new generation that right now, just isn't playing golf.  They are out running Spartan Races, or sitting in their bedrooms playing Halo online.

• Like 4

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 18.0 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ Hogan GS53 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W Hogan GS52 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X

He sure as heck was aggressive down the stretch, wasn't he? Those shots on 17 were jaw dropping - as were Kisner's.  

Maybe this win will give him a Hogan-like kicking the pants. When Hogan finally won his first tourney (I know Rickie won once before), he went on a crazy streak interrupted only by WWII and a bus. Think Rickie could get some of that same mojo?

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Maybe. I'm sure it's a huge confidence booster to know you can pull something like that off under pressure.

He's been "in" with the younger crowd all along. I bet he's earned a lot of respect from the older crowd lately as well. And not just because of this win. He's cut his hair and looks more respectable and mature while still appealing to young fans. I actually like him more than I did a year or two ago myself. I might even be rooting for him to win sometimes....

Maybe. I'm sure it's a huge confidence booster to know you can pull something like that off under pressure.

He's been "in" with the younger crowd all along. I bet he's earned a lot of respect from the older crowd lately as well. And not just because of this win. He's cut his hair and looks more respectable and mature while still appealing to young fans. I actually like him more than I did a year or two ago myself. I might even be rooting for him to win sometimes....

The cleaning up of his look has probably helped him a lot. He also has muted his wardrobe significantly and isn't wearing that ridiculous all orange outfit on Sunday's anymore. I could certainly see before last year him being viewed as overrated. His popularity very much outweighed his accomplishments. But with his work with Butch, and being top 5 in all 4 majors last year, he proved last year he has the game. And now with the win at the players, he solidified that. Hell, he was 13th in the OWGR before the win. I'm not sure how you can be ranked that high and be considered overrated. 2 years ago, yeah, but maybe now people will see that dudes got serious game.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

Haha! I just took a look at the leader board. The Cobra boys couldn't be farther apart.... Rickie first, Jonas Blixt last at +13 after two rounds. He had a rough week I guess.

I never thought he was overrated in the first place.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I remember when he was hot stuff coming out of college.  I watched him play at the 2010 WM Phoenix Open and the announcers all said how aggressive he was.  On the par 5 #15 he laid up short of the water from something like 240 out (He didn't do that yesterday on #16!!)  I couldn't believe it; he made a par and ended up 2nd, and I thought that the lack of aggressiveness that day really cost him until he won the Wells Fargo in 2012.  He finally got that aggressiveness back this last week when he was in contention.  I think Butch has a lot to do with that.  He has the game; he just needs to go for it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I remember someone, Bones perhaps?, starting a thread about Rickie being over rated before the start of the season.  I thought that was premature then land I think it's premature now to be judging whether he is over rated, under rated or any rated.  He's very young, there's a long way to go yet.  Nothing has really changed at this point.

So.... let's see how he does over the next five years rather than making this one win an in your face moment or conversely reassigned the over rated tag if he goes the next three years without a major.  Tom Watson went a time without a major as did Payne Stewart and Phil, I'm guessing we would not call any of them over rated with the perspective of time.  On the other hand we have Sergio, his career started out like a bolt, there's a Players and some other World Championship events on the resume but no majors, I'd suspect that many of us would consider him over rated or a disappointment.  I would also suggest that this would be a fair assessment at this point.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

The overrated thing stems from the hype coming out of college, the media attention that attracts kids, and just being around but not there at the end of a tournament.  These factors alone are not all that bad, but let's look at the competition from 2010 to now.  Guys with Rickie's credentials back in the Tiger days just got run over between Tiger, Phil, VJ, Ernie plus a lot of other really good golfers.  Lots of wins there.  But since Rickie hit the tour 6 years ago, Tiger won 8 times in 2012-2013, Phil has only won 5 times, VJ didn't win any and Ernie won 3 times.  Rory came onto the scene about the same time and has 10 PGA wins.  Not bad, but that leaves a LOT of tournaments and Rickie should have won more than once before this weekend.  Lots of good players on tour over the last 6 years have won tournaments; most without the Rickie hype.  He should have won several of those tournaments.  

However, I think he is on the right track and with Butch working with him, I expect better things this year and next.  If by the end of next year, he hasn't won a few more events including a major, then we can have this discussion again.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

He's got serious game, and serious girlfriend. He may have been over rated, but not anymore. Now he is the king, for a week anyways...

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I find it interesting that they would say something like that. 4 runner ups in the 4 majors last year is pretty damn good. 

• Like 3

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

First, he played a good 63 holes and an outstanding 9 holes and 4 superb extra holes. Is he still "overrated"? That remains to be seen. A golfer needs to be great for more than a weekend or really good for 4 weekends a year.

BUT he was certainly underrated, at least by me, for his maturity and class. He could have lashed out at any point since the "Overrated Poll" came out. He did not. He kept his mouth shut and gave all those that named him the invisible finger. In this case, raising the Player's trophy after those great 12-13 holes was so much better than having said anything. Even afterwards, he had an opportunity to lash out, and did not.  Props for that. I hope there is more to come from him. It was a great show.

• Like 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

The media loves to stir the pot.

I can't stand American commentating and mute the TV during the telecast.

Don't care about GIRLFRIENDS etc.

Please just show me the shots and shut up.

European broadcasts are so less dramatic.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Oh by the way ....anyways is not a word.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Oh by the way ....anyways is not a word.

Eh. It's a word.. It's just not used much in formal writing/settings but is perfectly acceptable in every day conversation.

http://grammarist.com/usage/anyways/

Rickie absolutely dominated 17 this week.. And that tee shot he hit on 18 in the playoff was absolutely murdered. 330+ under that kind of pressure? Nerves of steel right there.

He's got serious game, and serious girlfriend. He may have been over rated, but not anymore. Now he is the king, for a week anyways...

She needs to eat a sandwich or 3

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Fowler's shot at 16 was ridiculous. That kick he got from the fringe was absolutely fantastic.

I always enjoy seeing a player go out and get the W like Fowler did rather than backing into it by coasting. It just makes for a more exciting finish!

I find it interesting that they would say something like that. 4 runner ups in the 4 majors last year is pretty damn good. 

My thoughts exactly.  You could have maybe said a few years ago that he was overrated but lately?  Nope!

It seems like Ricky has a lot of haters.  I can understand why, theres a lot that you could hate on him for: the flat brim hats, the bright orange gear, the hype coming out of college, the hot girlfriend.  I especially have to laugh at people who were calling her a gold digger on social media.  Really?  At the end of the day, I hope Ricky is laughing at the haters too and uses their hate to fuel himself.

• Like 2

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Some people have too much time on their hands to come up with such a poll. Shame on Gulf Channel for mentioning it...that will only encourage the idiots that did this poll to do another just to get something stirred up.

If they do, Golf Channel...do not mention it at all...that just throws gas on a fire that really needs to burn the dolts that came up with such a poll.

• Like 1

Ol' Stick