TESTERS WANTED! ×

am i good enough to play from the blue tee?

superduper

yep blue tee, the reason is all my golf partners play from blue.  I'm a mid handicap, driver (235 yards max) and 6 iron 155 yards.  my weakest part of the game is my short game.  Couldn't hit it close from 15 yards away.   Putting is good.  

Do you have a handicap?  If so, what is it?  If not, what is par for your course and what are you shooting?  Do you pick up at double bogey or play it out?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The guy I was playing with Sunday wasn't, that's for sure!

Seriously though I use the 8-iron rule......I like my approach shots (par-4) to average out to an 8i.  Some holes might be a 6i, some a PW but overall 8i average is where I'm happy.  Your happy average might be a longer or shorter club. Play where you enjoy the game the most.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Super.... Under your Icon/picture it says you have a 1 handicap. So yes... I'd say you should play the back tee. If that is bogus then what exactly does Mid-Handicap mean? 18? 10? 9? From your description above I'd guess you're a 15. ??

Oh, and you might want to edit your profile.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Super.... Under your Icon/picture it says you have a 1 handicap. So yes... I'd say you should play the back tee. If that is bogus then what exactly does Mid-Handicap mean? 18? 10? 9? From your description above I'd guess you're a 15. ??

Oh, and you might want to edit your profile.

mid handicap is from 10 to 20.   no I wouldn't put a "fixed" handicap because I don't have a USGA index.  But I play in the low 80s.   I hope that is sufficient enough for your requirements. 

And sometimes I'm good and sometimes I play like sh1t.  so there is no use of using a handicap for me. 

With what you described above I would say that you do not have the game to move back, length would be an issue, you would be hitting driver, hybrid, or 3wd, and still may not reach the par 4's in 2, it would not be fun, but if you wanted to play from the back tees with the understanding that you will struggle, and you just want to do it for fun to play with your buddy's from the same tee, then there is no harm in it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The guy I was playing with Sunday wasn't, that's for sure!

Seriously though I use the 8-iron rule......I like my approach shots (par-4) to average out to an 8i.  Some holes might be a 6i, some a PW but overall 8i average is where I'm happy.  Your happy average might be a longer or shorter club. Play where you enjoy the game the most.

to be honest, courses are different from each other.   From the blue, there are courses like 350 yards Par 4.  That's an easy hole.   PW for the approach shot.  But there are 400 yards par 4 at other courses.  it means a 5 iron for me.   Par 5 no problem what ever the length.  I'm 3 on anyway on most Par 5.  Never ever made 2 shots on the green on Par 5s. 

to be honest, courses are different from each other.   From the blue, there are courses like 350 yards Par 4.  That's an easy hole.   PW for the approach shot.  But there are 400 yards par 4 at other courses.  it means a 5 iron for me.   Par 5 no problem what ever the length.  I'm 3 on anyway on most Par 5.  Never ever made 2 shots on the green on Par 5s. 

Right.  Color of the tee doesn't matter.  Blue on one course, white on another, purple, green, pink whatever.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Play where you're most comfortable from, whether it be from the blues, whites, reds or blacks. Those tees are there for a reason and it's not to prove how macho you are (or aren't). They're there to make the game enjoyable for folks of all skill levels and abilities.

IMHO, handicap is one of, but not the final deciding factor in where you should be playing from. I've met plenty of people who play back while their games insist that they should be playing up. I've also met many good golfers who play up simply because they don't have the distance they once had (or maybe never had).

It's all about having fun at the end of the day. Play where you're comfortable and don't let anyone else get to you.

mid handicap is from 10 to 20.   no I wouldn't put a "fixed" handicap because I don't have a USGA index.  But I play in the low 80s.   I hope that is sufficient enough for your requirements. 

And sometimes I'm good and sometimes I play like sh1t.  so there is no use of using a handicap for me. 

Don't be offended at my suggestions. Personally, I believe everyone that's serious about playing golf and improving should have a GHIN handicap. Guess what... sometimes I play good and sometimes I play like Sh1t too. Who doesn't? But as a measure I keep a handicap. It's goes up and down some during the year. 

One more idea... if like you say you generally shoot in the low 80's perhaps instead of a 1 handicap as you posted you might want to use a more realistic number like maybe a 10-12? But that's just me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It sounds as if playing from the blues on your regular course is not an issue.  The question is, what about when you travel.  Here's what I would suggest, find out the course rating and slope from the tees you normally play at your course (you know that's comfortable for you) and replicate that where ever you go.  So the black tees at my league course are 70.5/123.  The white tees at my new club are 71/128, about the same.  There are two tee options and two blended two options on the scorecard that play harder than the tips at my league course. 

My ideal BTW is 71-72 130-135.  I'm happy when I shoot 75 with those parameters.  I may also have a par 4 or 2 that forces me to lay up at those numbers.  If I don't see a set of tees at that number or if I know that set will play too long for me to have fun I ask, "Where do you play your senior club championship from?"  That's my bracket anyway.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If you are shooting in the low 80's, then your HCP is probably around 10 or even a little less, depending on the difficulty of the courses you play.  

Blue tees are different from course to course, and you will get par 4's ranging from less than 350 to over 400 on both blue and white tee boxes.  The tees you should be playing are the ones that give you challenges with all you clubs, but it's fun doing it.  Sure, I like playing a course where it's a driver and a wedge on every par 4 (That's my practice course), but it doesn't challenge me with all the other clubs that I lug around.  However, when I play a longer course, it's not fun hitting driver, 3W or hybrid into every par 4 and sometimes not even getting there.  I look at the scorecard and choose the tees to play from based on the 18 hole yardage.  I don't much like less than 6000 yards, but I know that 6700 is way too far.  Depends on the course conditions.  

Play where you feel the most comfortable and not necessarily where your buddies play from.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It looks like our distances are similar and I consider myself a "White Tee" player (using Blue-White-Red as "standard').  Those are the tees generally considered "standard men's tees" on the courses I play.

I've played Blue tees socially with some folks and actually play competively with many folks that always play them, but I think they're playing the wrong tees ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

As Baseball and others said play where you enjoy playing at. Remember some courses may play more difficult from similar yardages than other a lot of that had to do with the slope rating. A lot of it also has to do with where you are located at. For example Rev, Foz and myself play at sea level and for another example a 6200 yard course will play like 6400 yards for us because the ball does not go as far at sea level. But play where you feel confortable and where you have fun. Last Saturday I got into a little match on a wet course with a lot of wind. Our game had me hitting from the blues@ 6900 yds. Not a good combo with a wet windy course. I struggled all day to hit some GIRs my short game helped pull me out.Our 17th hole a par 3 225 over the water from the back with the ocean wind howling 25 MPH in my face was no fun I had to hit driver from the back tees but did hit the green made par. I had some good partners and they pulled it out. I told those guys you are not getting me in that can again that was too much for me no fun hitting the ball decent and struggling like that

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Depends on the course.  With 235 avg. off the tee you would be fine playing the blues at my club, but would have a rough day at Bethpage Black, Red or Blue.  As said above play the tees that allow you to have fun.  

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Depends on the course and slope. Case in point: my home course in NJ was a few slope points higher than in Mississippi and was longer yardage over the hole course. However, in NJ the holes are more evenly distributed. You don't have a 500 yard par 4 and the the par 3's are 130-180. The Mississippi courses two par 3's are 120 and under. That means that a lot of the par 4's are much longer and that means usually my second shots are long irons instead of short irons. That adds up a lot of strokes going for greens in two and ending up in more trouble.

The course in Arizona I now play is the same way.  It's shorter than both, but the short holes are much shorter and the long par 4's play like par 5's. At times it can be unfair for a shorter driver, but stil I can handle most of the long holes reasonably. I shoot better in NJ despite the distance and slope, even though it's the longer course and I'm a short driver.

The point is that you shouldn't be forced to play a set of tees because of the color-- you should play that match what you can do. If you are constantly forced to carry water that you need every ounce of a driver to get over... move up a set of tees. If you can't reach the fairways...ditto. If you can play reasonably well from the longer set of tees, I don't see a huge problem playing back as long as you don't hold up groups behind you. The course in NJ sets up that way for me... I don't have a bunch of holes I'm thinking bogey at best because of distance... but other courses like I mentioned there's a few holes I'm marking down bogey or worse even if I hit a great drive because they set up really long.

Also get yourself a handicap. Those things end any arguments about how good you may be.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Superduper -  There's tons of good advice here but perhaps none of us have asked the right question.  Why did you ask in the first place? 

Is someone at your course or in the group that you're playing with wanting you to move up?  If not, don't worry about it and just play from where you want to.  Personally I think the game is more fun when you get to use all of your clubs but have a healthy number of 8 irons or under into the green.  I know the distance that I need to play the course at in Florida to achieve that level of enjoyment.  But that's me, do what you like if you aren't bothering anyone else.

As for handicap, same thing - do what you want - just don't do it because you think that just because you are all over the map with your scores you shouldn't.  Handicaps take that into account and in the end the measure a player's potential, not his average day. 

Finally do what you want in regards to your profile but as a fellow MGS user and therefore a sympathetic to your cause person I would suggest you change your profile.  With that 1 under there you will always get odd comments to questions that seem out of place for someone with that number under their name. 

So do what you want in all of these circumstances but also understand that doing what you want will bring reactions.  Best wishes and let us know what you decide on all accounts.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You are good enough to play from any tee you want as long as:

1.  You can get around the course in a reasonable amount of time, and

2.  You can have fun playing the game.

#1 has to do with making sure everyone playing with or behind you have the same opportunity to enjoy that you have and #2 should be the reason we all play.  I don't know that anything else matters here.

When in doubt, ask the starter or pro for some advice. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I believe 9 times out of 10, that what tee you play should be based on what approach you are most comfortable with plus the distance off the tee. If you can hit the ball 230 plus. You should be comfortable playing the men's tees on your average course. Most courses will play 6200 to 6800 yards from the men's tee. 230 plus is fine!

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

Play wherever you want to play from provided you can get around the course in a reasonable time. That's part of the reason for slow play, guys not playing from the proper tees

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Rookie really hit a home run with that statement. I see it a lot down here in this area with the tourist golfers. they will try to play these long courses at sea level from the back of the tees when they ought to be on the whites (mid tees) or even the forward tees. You will hear them in the restaurants at night "That (insert name of the course) ate our lunch today we played from the back I shot 105 and Joe must have shot 120" Cracks me up as to how the heck anyone can have fun doing that? And like Rookie and others have said it holds up play but--- Rangers have been instructed "don't piss off the tourists if the locals don't like the pace of play screw em" But that attitude changes when the tourists go home and there is just local play. IMHO playing the proper tees for your game makes it more fun and less of a struggle

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

You are good enough to play from any tee you want as long as:

1.  You can get around the course in a reasonable amount of time, and

2.  You can have fun playing the game.

#1 has to do with making sure everyone playing with or behind you have the same opportunity to enjoy that you have and #2 should be the reason we all play.  I don't know that anything else matters here.

When in doubt, ask the starter or pro for some advice. 

The last time I played golf alone for 9 holes (well not alone, brought my wife along as a cheerleader LOL!), it took me only 2 hours.   So slow play is not my style.....

What sometimes bother me are beginner golfers, it took them 4 shots to get to the green.  Spent about 20 minutes for just one hole.  can't imagine if they are playing in groups. 

We don't see to have that problem in Germany. Courses usually have 2 sets of tees: golden (men) and red (ladies).

Golden tees in my home course are about 6500-6600 yards.

Takes out the guess work :D

Big courses where pro's play do have a set of white and black tees additionally, but they are never used by us mortals.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

We don't see to have that problem in Germany. Courses usually have 2 sets of tees: golden (men) and red (ladies).

Golden tees in my home course are about 6500-6600 yards.

Takes out the guess work :D

Big courses where pro's play do have a set of white and black tees additionally, but they are never used by us mortals.

We've had other threads in the past where I have argued for just this sort of set up. It was normally the case when I first started playing that courses only had two sets of tees. At that time they were called Men's and Women's. Today I would suggest forward and back. You pick your tees when you arrive and play the "course" as it is presented.

Perhaps guys like Rookie, Stu and I are most sensitive to this topic because we experience what Stu described. All of us have played with that guy who insists on playing from the back cecause it's only 6,700 yards long. But at sea level in damper conditions his 270 yard drive (that really goes 250) now goes 240. He's got 170 plus in on many holes and his normal 7 iron ends up in the front bunker, fringe or water every time. It gets old.

Super duper we aren't suggesting that's you. We certainly aren't suggestion that's you on your home course. I'm still wondering why you are asking the question. Is there someone at your course that is suggesting you play another set of tees? If not don't worry about it. If so, why?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

And in all honesty, who really cares what tees someone else plays from? If guys are giving you a hard time, just find another group. Unless you're playing in a club championship or something like that and it's played off scratch for the field, it doesn't matter honestly

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The one thing that I can not stand. Is for someone to take a long time to hit the ball and hit it bad constantly.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

I don't even care if they hit it poorly, as long as they hit it poorly quickly

In The Bag

I don't even care if they hit it poorly, as long as they hit it poorly quickly

You are right. I know a few people that play bad, but can keep pace.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

You are right. I know a few people that play bad, but can keep pace.

I know some that play well and can't also.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Here's what I always say about tees. If you don't have to worry about fairway bunkers, you're playing from the wrong tee. It's not about handicap, it's about distance. Usually the two go hand in hand, but not always.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived