TESTERS WANTED! ×

I became interested in how the golf swing works about 15 years ago when I retired. I started with books, then started downloading videos of pro swings and then Research papers from University academics from all over the world. What I discovered was that nobody in the world, including the manufacturers of golf clubs knows how the swing works. There are millions of opinions, but very few provable facts. What this means is that the whole Golf Industry is based on uncertainty and some philosophers may say that is a good thing. I am a golfer who wants to know how it works even if I can't do it. I would like to know why I am not as good as the pro who hits the ball 300 yards. What does he have that I don't and what does he know that I should be able to learn.

I started using computer modelling techniques 7 or 8 years ago as a way of understanding the swing, because I knew the answer must be in physics, not in individual opinions. Using these modelling techniques I believe I have discovered a number of new mechanisms that start the process of understanding what happens in the 250 milliseconds when a pro can accelerate the clubhead from zero to 120 mph. If we understand what happens, then I believe all golfers  should be able to learn how to do it, or why they can't do it. The "BIG PICTURE" is that in the last 100 years the handicap profile of golfers has not changed. All the hype about equipment has had no influence on the handicap profile of golfers.

I am aware that a model is only as good as the assumptions that go into building the model. What I need to assess now is  whether the model is telling me a truth about the swing.  Today I am introducing the RYKE effect which is what I believe happens at release. It is a piece of physics that has not previously been understood or described, which I believe is fundamental to understanding why pros play a different game to most of us. You can help me to assess if the RYKE effect is what happens when you release during the golf swing.

To introduce the RYKE effect I would ask you to watch these two videos:

This is a presentation that I gave to the World Science Congress of Golf in September last year. It takes about 15 minutes.

This is a short video that repeats the RYKE effect many times so that you can see what is happening.

The questions I have are: "Can this piece of physics be applied to release in the golf swing?". "What do you feel or experience at release?" . "Does knowledge of the RYKE effect help explain release?"

I look forward to any comments or questions you may have.

Kevin Ryan

This is pretty cool. 

My question to maybe a teaching professional would be how to take this model and put it into an effective teaching method? 

What does the RYKE effect FEEL like (sorry I'm very much a feel player) during the swing so that one can try and replicate it.

Thanks for all your hard work. Very interesting stuff.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Severtheties,

I am glad you think it is cool. When I first saw it on the computer model my eyes poped out. I am finishing off a book. I have been doing many experiments with my own swing to develop a teaching method so that it should be possible to learn how to do it.

Because it is an effect of physics, not muscle, it feels a bit wierd. The clubhead releases so fast with very little effeort. As I get better at doing the RYKE effect I still get a surprise at how the ball flies. It is for this reason I want to find out what other golfers feel when release happens.

Kevin Ryan

First off Kevin, let me say that your presentations are impressive. You're obviously a smart guy and a deep thinker. I say this sincerely and honestly. How does anyone come up with all this research and then a presentation like you've provided? I scratch my head. I'm not a fraction of that deep into the swing. I'm probably what you might call practical. I study swings and take lessons and practice and play. In general I try to emulate what I see that works and apply that to my own body and athletic ability. Over the course of 40+ some odd years I've gotten much better than when I began. Since I turned 50 I've somewhat noticed a slight decline in the way my body responds. I'm now 60. Today I don't have as much speed and as a result I've lost distance. But I adjust. That's one of the beauties of this game.

As for the swing itself there are many ways to effectively hit a golf ball and play quite well. We've all seen them. Some are just scary looking but somehow that guy shoots par all day every day. My swing is reasonably good for my age and experience. It could be loosely defined as a "classic" model. Personally I don't give a hoot about all the research and such. Just show me how to do it and I'll get it. Eventually. Honestly, if I were take a lesson from an instructor and he started going all Carl Sagan on me I'd be frustrated and go elsewhere. My head would explode. LOL

Here are just a few things I think works and you must process.

1. Have a decent amount of natural athleticism. 

2. Start young. (as possible)

3. Get good instruction.

4. Practice.

5. Play often with people that are better than you.

6. Have a competitive nature.

7. Don't be a quitter.

8. Play as much as your circumstances will allow.

9. Practice.

10. Read books, articles, videos, etc.

11. Try to control your mind and emotions.

12. Gamble (even with yourself)

13. Keep statistics

14. Practice.

15. Own equipment that fits you.

16. Enjoy the game. Your game.

17. ??

Is your model telling a truth about the swing? I don't know. For me the truth about the swing is what goes on the card at the end of my round. When I'm swinging well my score is low or lower. It's an easy day on the course. When I'm not swing well it's a 4 hour whipping. Perhaps it's just one of those days regardless of the outcome. Perhaps if I studied your research I might improve. Perhaps If I practiced more and better I might play better. Perhaps if I was still 35 I'd play better. In fact I know I would play better if I was 35 again. How about a Time-Machine Kevin. Now that's something I could latch onto.

Thanks again for you studied research and sharing with us. You're a true Fellow of the game in my opinion

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

So.... is this RYKE angle achieved by holding your arms out farther from your body during the swing?

Similar thought or question.  It seems as it is as simple as having your hands lower throughout and having the greater angle of arm relative to club?  I know that has been a lesson point for me in the past and I know that the truly bad golfers address and hit the ball with a virtual straight line from shoulder to the ball (witness Chris Berman at the ATT Pro am).  Is that then the true "secret of golf"????

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

PlaidJacket,

Thanks for the complements. Your post shows that golf is a great game. I played today as I do 3 times a week. I love the small side bets. I love the uncertainty of not knowing what is going to happen next. I love the competative chit chat. I love the beer at the 19th. Everyone can take something from every round. But I also know that there is an Everest to be conquered. We know very little about how and why the swing works and why a 5 foot tall young girl can hit a ball further than you or I who have been playing for 40 or 50 years. At 72 years old today I hit a few drives that were longer and straighter than I ever hit when I was 30. I hope I am uncovering truths about the swing and not kidding myself. I get encouraged that I might be on the right track when I hit a few longer drives or chip and pitch shots that check and back up. That's why it is such a great game: we can all approach it in different ways.

Kevin Ryan

jaxbeachpackerfan and Silver and Black,

There is no simple secret to golf. Certainly holding hands low is part of the puzzle. As I was writing the section on the downswing it took 12 pages to explain my understanding of the physics mechanisms that are in play in the quarter of a second of the downswing. What I am trying to get golfers to understand with the RYKE effect is that one of the fundamental truths is that wrist release ( hammer action) is wrong and that forearm rotation with a RYKE angle is how the best golfers swing a club. That is the starting point. I hope to be able to contribute in a small way to develop techniques that everyone can use, but we have to understand what is happening first.

Kevin Ryan

Handicaps haven't changed over the years because hitting range balls and playing golf are two entirely different things. If you want to be a great striker of the ball, work on your swing, beat balls at the range all the time, and when you're on the course facing a full 8 iron into a green with a perfectly flat lie and the ball sitting up chances are you'll get a green in reg, not necessarily a birdie, but chances are you'll hit the green and maybe make a par. If you want to be a great golfer, you still need to practice, but you have to play a ton!

Too many instructors teach people how to hit range balls and try to "fix" their swing or preach their method. Not enough instructors teach people how to play better golf. Unfortunately 9 out of 10 instructors are extremely guilty with this for beginners. They want to learn how to play golf, not hit range balls!

Congrats on introducing another "method" for hitting golf balls.

jaxbeachpackerfan and Silver and Black,

There is no simple secret to golf. Certainly holding hands low is part of the puzzle. As I was writing the section on the downswing it took 12 pages to explain my understanding of the physics mechanisms that are in play in the quarter of a second of the downswing. What I am trying to get golfers to understand with the RYKE effect is that one of the fundamental truths is that wrist release ( hammer action) is wrong and that forearm rotation with a RYKE angle is how the best golfers swing a club. That is the starting point. I hope to be able to contribute in a small way to develop techniques that everyone can use, but we have to understand what is happening first.

Kevin Ryan

Ok, I think I understand and can appreciate what you are talking about.  So, now the key question--what have been you been doing to implement this into your previously amateur swing?  Are there drills, tips, concepts?  Very interested.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I have a couple of questions.  I'm far from a scientific kind of guy. I see in your swing model that it consists of one "arm". We all use two arms. Which arm does your model represent if we are right handed? How does the other arm affect this swing/RYKE angle?

The model uses the left arm so it is a right hand swing. When we build models we try to get down to the simpliest version of what is being modeled. If we assume that the left arm is straight during the swing then it is valid to only model one of the arms that are producing the forces on the club. If we then move the arm in a particular direction we can then determine where the forces or torques are coming from. So we can infer what the right arm is doing. I have currently identified at least four actions that the right hand and arm must do in order for the RYKE effect to happen. That is why it is so difficult to achieve, and why I am still working on developing the drills that are necessary to make it happen.

Kevin Ryan

I'm not sure that a different "method" is what is being presented here, as much as a different take on what the swing truly is and what happens during it?

Your wording of a "different take on what the swing truily is" best describes what I am finding and at the moment the physics and biomechanics can't yet describe what happens. So physics and biomechanics have to catch up with how pros swing. If we can do that then we can develop the methods to make it happen.

Kevin Ryan

Hi Kev, seems to me what you are talking about is forearm rotation as well as wrist pronation.  Hogan talked about pronation and supination in his book and teaching.  From my point of view the pro's do it better and more efficiently than we amateurs hence their different game.  I know when I get it right my swing and the moves I make are much more efficient and I hit the ball better with way less effort sometimes up to a club difference in distance.

I have found that there seems to be a big reluctance on the part of teaching pros to talk about forearm rotation for some reason even when asked direct questions about it they seem to run for cover as if you just asked if they are having sexual relations with their sister.  Very bizarre. I have been working on forearm rotation myself of late because in the past I have tried to limit the amount of FR because of what I had read about the evils of rotating the club face in the back swing.  I guess if you take it to extremes that sort of rotation is bad but if you allow the club to rotate along with the natural forearm rotation in your back swing it opens and closes like a door swinging on its hinges.  Also centrifugal force helps the club face square up at impact as the wrist pronates as well.  I can remember Leadbetter and Faldo talking a bit about it back when Faldo was King and I saw a video recently where Leadbetter was talking about the A swing he is developing for amateurs who are unable to devote a lot of time to practise.  He also talks about forearm rotation which seems to be at the heart of the RYKE affect.

I really have no idea if I'm even close to what you are talking about but that seems to be what it is about from my point of view.  I look forward to hearing more and reading your book when it comes out.

Cheers

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I've always taken issue with the model of a linear double pendulum because it doesn't account for the rotation part of the equation.

Where I think people get that rotation wrong in their actual swing sometimes is they over or under do it. They under do it with an over the top move where they've learned they have to hold off the club or they'll hit a big pull every time. But then they're slicing.

They can over do it by picturing 180° of rotation with their forearms in relation to their body, but don't consider that their body is rotating at the same time. Add the two together and it's too much.

I would guess based on what I feel, the forearm rotation is roughly 120° in relation to the shoulders? That's really just a guess not based on any measurements. Have you studied that to put a number range on it?

Honestly though, while your model is an improvement on the double pendulum, it's not a new revelation to golf theory to put your name on. Some have adopted the double pendulum for it's relative simplicity to model. I've never put much stock in it because it's using a two dimensional movement to model a three dimensional movement. It can't fully accomplish it. But there's plenty of teaching that includes that rotation. If your back shoulder doesn't turn through, you'll run out of arm which will pull on the club, prevent that release, and make for a slice for example.

But good job on the model. It's the best rendering I've seen.

Hi Kev, seems to me what you are talking about is forearm rotation as well as wrist pronation.  Hogan talked about pronation and supination in his book and teaching.  From my point of view the pro's do it better and more efficiently than we amateurs hence their different game.  I know when I get it right my swing and the moves I make are much more efficient and I hit the ball better with way less effort sometimes up to a club difference in distance.

I have found that there seems to be a big reluctance on the part of teaching pros to talk about forearm rotation for some reason even when asked direct questions about it they seem to run for cover as if you just asked if they are having sexual relations with their sister.  Very bizarre. I have been working on forearm rotation myself of late because in the past I have tried to limit the amount of FR because of what I had read about the evils of rotating the club face in the back swing.  I guess if you take it to extremes that sort of rotation is bad but if you allow the club to rotate along with the natural forearm rotation in your back swing it opens and closes like a door swinging on its hinges.  Also centrifugal force helps the club face square up at impact as the wrist pronates as well.  I can remember Leadbetter and Faldo talking a bit about it back when Faldo was King and I saw a video recently where Leadbetter was talking about the A swing he is developing for amateurs who are unable to devote a lot of time to practise.  He also talks about forearm rotation which seems to be at the heart of the RYKE affect.

I really have no idea if I'm even close to what you are talking about but that seems to be what it is about from my point of view.  I look forward to hearing more and reading your book when it comes out.

Cheers

You are certainly understanding the point I am trying to make. It has long been considered by Golf Science that it requires muscular effort to shut the clubface for impact and we hear talk from instructors about controlling the clubface. The RYKEeffect model shows that by pushing a double pendulum off its plane, release is all about forearm pronotion and not wrist release. It is that fundamental to understanding how the swing works. Physics shuts the face: not muscle. If we can produce the sideways force, at the right timing, to push the double pendulum off its plane, then wrist release stops and forearm pronotion takes over and shuts the face. I am assuming pronation means forearm rotation with a firm left wrist and no collapse of the wrist.

Like you, the more I learn how to feel the effect, the faster the clubhead speed with very little effort. I am also finding that you need to fully rotate your forearm -90° backwards in the backswing to ensure that it can release 180° in the downswing.

Kevin Ryan

I've always taken issue with the model of a linear double pendulum because it doesn't account for the rotation part of the equation.

Where I think people get that rotation wrong in their actual swing sometimes is they over or under do it. They under do it with an over the top move where they've learned they have to hold off the club or they'll hit a big pull every time. But then they're slicing.

They can over do it by picturing 180° of rotation with their forearms in relation to their body, but don't consider that their body is rotating at the same time. Add the two together and it's too much.

I would guess based on what I feel, the forearm rotation is roughly 120° in relation to the shoulders? That's really just a guess not based on any measurements. Have you studied that to put a number range on it?

Honestly though, while your model is an improvement on the double pendulum, it's not a new revelation to golf theory to put your name on. Some have adopted the double pendulum for it's relative simplicity to model. I've never put much stock in it because it's using a two dimensional movement to model a three dimensional movement. It can't fully accomplish it. But there's plenty of teaching that includes that rotation. If your back shoulder doesn't turn through, you'll run out of arm which will pull on the club, prevent that release, and make for a slice for example.

But good job on the model. It's the best rendering I've seen.

The double pendulum model gives golfers the completely wrong impression of the golf swing. That is, that wrist release is used to hit the ball. The RYKEeffect is a three dimensional version of a more complicated double pendulum (two joints not one) that shows that if you get the forces timed correctly then it is forearm rotation that hits the ball, not wrist release.

I think you are correct that good instructors understand the 3D nature of the swing, but to my knowledge the RYKEeffect model is the first science based attempt to show what happens in the downswing and for that reason it is important.

Kevin Ryan.

The double pendulum model gives golfers the completely wrong impression of the golf swing. That is, that wrist release is used to hit the ball. The RYKEeffect is a three dimensional version of a more complicated double pendulum (two joints not one) that shows that if you get the forces timed correctly then it is forearm rotation that hits the ball, not wrist release.

I think you are correct that good instructors understand the 3D nature of the swing, but to my knowledge the RYKEeffect model is the first science based attempt to show what happens in the downswing and for that reason it is important.

Kevin Ryan.

Since I haven't seen another model similar to yours, I have to agree. I do think the wrists unhinging is part of the equation though. That action is increasing club head speed dramatically.

I also agree that it and the rotation are not something you muscle through the ball. As long as you don't throw the club head away too early, it will happen. You just have to move with it to avoid hindering that action.

Keep at it. It's interesting and far more realistic than the linear double pendulum I've seen used over and over.

Since I haven't seen another model similar to yours, I have to agree. I do think the wrists unhinging is part of the equation though. That action is increasing club head speed dramatically.

I also agree that it and the rotation are not something you muscle through the ball. As long as you don't throw the club head away too early, it will happen. You just have to move with it to avoid hindering that action.

Keep at it. It's interesting and far more realistic than the linear double pendulum I've seen used over and over.

Your comments that "wrists unhinging" and "That action is increasing club head speed dramatically" are certainly the common understanding of the golf swing. If you look along the bays of a driving range, that is what you see. Everybody is trying to "unhinge" faster.

I have come to the conclusion that this is a very significant mindset problem that we have. I would like to encourage any handymen out there to build a model of the wrist. I built this model a few years ago to try to understand how the wrist works in the golf swing.

The video forced me to rethink about "unhinging" and more about "forearm rotation" in the downswing and what you need to do to promote the forearm rotation rather than the unhinging of the wrist. Is the model correct? Biomechanics specialists may disagree and provide a different view of how the wrist works. I think this is the central question to be answered before we fully understand what happens in the downswing.

Kevin Ryan

This is interesting stuff. From what I've read so far, Dustin Johnson's swing is what comes to mind that might be a more extreme example of this. Or am I way off?

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have a question... Besides using a training aid such as a Medicus, what does the whole hinged piece of scrap metal prove?  I'm not trying to be a Richard, but honestly, this proves nothing to me. Unless the hinge is supposed to represent the hands/club connection.  And then you actually want rotation through impact.  Looks like a bunch of scientific mumbo-jumbo to me that doesn't really help anyone play golf.  Again, not trying to be a butt about it, just trying to see what this is supposed to prove and how it's supposed to actually help golfers.  Because it seems to me just one more thing to distract a golfer by adding something to think about in the preshot routine.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Your comments that "wrists unhinging" and "That action is increasing club head speed dramatically" are certainly the common understanding of the golf swing. If you look along the bays of a driving range, that is what you see. Everybody is trying to "unhinge" faster.

I have come to the conclusion that this is a very significant mindset problem that we have. I would like to encourage any handymen out there to build a model of the wrist. I built this model a few years ago to try to understand how the wrist works in the golf swing.

The video forced me to rethink about "unhinging" and more about "forearm rotation" in the downswing and what you need to do to promote the forearm rotation rather than the unhinging of the wrist. Is the model correct? Biomechanics specialists may disagree and provide a different view of how the wrist works. I think this is the central question to be answered before we fully understand what happens in the downswing.

Kevin Ryan

The wrists go from hinged to unhinged, so you can't ignore that part of it. I don't mean you have to force them to unhinge, it happens if you let it. If your wrists couldn't hinge at all and you only had rotation, you would lose club head speed. The club would be farther away from you at the top increasing the MOI of the system, making it harder to accelerate. Plus you wouldn't get the free energy of it unhinging at the bottom.

I'm pretty simple, and I've actually tried to get away from thinking too much about my "swing" the past couple of years, but this sounds similar to what I do with my irons now (which are better).

I still "forward press" with my fairway wood and hybrids, but I think this is similar to how I swing my irons.

To me, it's really all about how the ball "looks" at setup now.  If I get that right, and I make my normal swing, then I get good results.  I don't really thing about "how I swing," I just try to "look at the ball" and swing.

I know I setup with my weight more on my left with my woods and hybrids and more neutral with my irons, but more "open" with my wedges" but I try NOT to think about my swing once the "ball looks right."

When I don't think about it, after I setup, I seem to get better results.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I will try to answer the last few posts with another short video. I have had trouble explaining this RYKE effect concept and it took me a long time to get my head around the concept. When I did get my head around it, I started to understand what the downswing does and that there needs to be a change of direction part way down in the swing. What you will see in the video is Steve Stricker's swing. He does not set his wrists and therefore they don't unhinge. He shows that you can achieve pro clubhead speeds without unhinging the wrists. He shows that in the first part of the downswing you can store energy using a small wrist angle which gets released rotationally as a conical pendulum, which very accurately straightens the clubface.

http://youtu.be/L0h1N5Un_Fg

Kevin Ryan

I understand what you're saying. Steve probably has less wrist set than anyone on tour. He has some though. The angle gets smaller at the top and tightens up a little more on the way down. But no, he's not setting his wrists like most guys. He's also a relatively short hitter too as a result though.

It's not a universal thing one way or the other. If you watch Keegan Bradley, he raises his hands through impact so much compared to address he loses that angle almost entirely. I've never thought that's a good thing.

One thing I've always noticed when I've recorded my swing down the line is, I can draw a line on the shaft at address in the video, and the shaft comes through that same line at impact aside from the droop in the shaft. I don't want my hands raising up higher than they started for that reason. I want to keep that angle.

• 2 weeks later...

I am blown away. As past PGA member but more importantly striving close to 50 years to be a good instructor, you have answered a question that has evaded me. The automatic release of the left forearm performed by the models resonates clarity. Thank you. Also, teaching the cone concept is very clear to students. Without proof, I believe cone and planar are compatible. You have enlightened some. Thank you

I am blown away. As past PGA member but more importantly striving close to 50 years to be a good instructor, you have answered a question that has evaded me. The automatic release of the left forearm performed by the models resonates clarity. Thank you. Also, teaching the cone concept is very clear to students. Without proof, I believe cone and planar are compatible. You have enlightened some. Thank you

Something that improved my swing considerably in the last year or so was understanding just that. The club head stays behind longer and that angle between my left arm an shaft is preserved through impact so that rotation adds speed and the club releases itself almost. Down the line, my hands and shaft pass through the same place they were at address instead of my hands lifting and the shaft forming a near straight line with my arm.

But I notice some tour players that do just that and have plenty of power. Keegan comes to mind. His hands are higher at impact with the shaft nearly straight with his arm looking down the line. So it's not a universal detail to every good player by any stretch.

But for me, while I was always pretty solid with my irons, I sliced my driver constantly. Now my driver is straight. I can hit a slight fade or draw now. My miss is only when I turn my shoulders around a little early and I hit a pull draw. But I know what that feels like and only seem to do that if I get careless now.

Sheriff and Blade,

Thanks for those comments. When I started this thread I was looking for these sort of comments. The feeling of effortless speed. When I first learnt how to do it, I would get a surprise. "What just happened."  I think that is because it is a physics effect and not a muscle action (eg hitting with a hammer).

Kevin ryan

Mr Ryan, your model describes and believe proves a type of release can be taught easily. Have studied the golfing machine and it describes this release. It is called automatic dual horizontal hingeing. However, students in most cases find it very difficult to do. Your work I believe solves it. A few might help with your product if you are interested. A Mr furze in Australia has been quite successful. E mail me at your convenience. g