TESTERS WANTED! ×

Seriously! How can you practice 2 to 3 times a week and not drop scores on the course consistently?

BRDGOLFING

I have been practicing 2 to 3 times a week for a month now. I play 2 rounds on average a week.

Why in the world does it seem like nothing is getting better? I will shoot one over on one side and then shoot 5 over on the 2nd side. The scores are different for each side different rounds.

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

Welcome to golf!! :)

In all seriousness, I would look at your practice regime.  Are you practicing with a purpose?  Are you practicing the things you truly need to work on?  Lastly are you to the point in your game that you need to bring in some outside council? (aka a teaching pro?)

Golf is a weird game, somedays it will just click and everything seems to work.  Other days it's like sprinting full speed into a brick wall.  Best of luck!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Welcome to golf!! :)

In all seriousness, I would look at your practice regime.  Are you practicing with a purpose?  Are you practicing the things you truly need to work on?  Lastly are you to the point in your game that you need to bring in some outside council? (aka a teaching pro?)

Golf is a weird game, somedays it will just click and everything seems to work.  Other days it's like sprinting full speed into a brick wall.  Best of luck!

I struggle with my 50 yards and in game. Along with putting. I practice it like crazy. I might spend 30 minutes on the range and then about an hour with the short game.

I am looking into some lessons. I started this to see if anyone had some ideas or knew of a place to watch videos. That will help with the short game. It would be nice to figure some things out before I spend a bunch of money on lessons. Which I will if I have to.

Thank you for the reply!

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

Lessons will always be a better route than trying to learn from a video. Just having a set of eyes that can see flaws in your swing is extremely helpful.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Lessons will always be a better route than trying to learn from a video. Just having a set of eyes that can see flaws in your swing is extremely helpful.

Not only that, but what you perceive the be happening in the golf swing based on a video isn't necessarily what is really happening. I went that route years ago and REALLY screwed up my swing. What I thought guys were doing to get into the positions I saw were totally wrong. I couldn't figure out how to get into those positions in my swing because what I saw didn't match what was really happening.

When I started working with my coach he straightened out my "feel vs real" swing concepts.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

Lessons are the way to go without a doubt.  I get to hit balls abut three times a week and focus one session on the full swing, one on partial shots and the latter on the short game.  That is something that I have done for a few years now and I went from a 5 or so to back to scratch in six months with that routine.  Played yesterday and hit a lot of nice wedges from 60 yards and in which is just a testament to that routine since I have not been playing all that much so far this season.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I find an extended stay at the 19th hole helps me to not be so critical.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Just a guess, but based on your handicap I'm thinking you are a decent ball striker and generally don't have too much trouble getting around the course.  You say your big trouble is 50yds and in and putting, sounds exactly like my game.

Here is your first stop, read this.  http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Pelzs-Short-Game-Bible/dp/0767903447/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431718088&sr=8-1&keywords=dave+pelz

As for the lessons it comes to one question.  Is your trouble technique or execution?  If you have bad technique then a pro can really help you out.  If it's execution then it's all about getting the reps in so when you get on the course it's second nature and you don't have to think about it.

Here are a couple tips that have helped me out... 

- Take how ever many wedges you have and develop some stock shots.  Take a full swing with a normal grip.  Then grip down to the steel and take the same swing.  Say you have 3 wedges that should give you 6 stock distances that you are comfortable with.  Do the same thing with 1/2 swings and now you have 12 stock distances you are comfortable with.  Try to pick your tee shot or layup to give you the best chance at ending up at one of those distances.

- Try to eliminate putting yourself into that trouble zone.  This might mean picking a different club off the tee or laying up to a specific distance (see above) vs trying to hit it as far as you can.

- Go get fit for your putter.  I just did that this year and realized I've been trying to play with a putter that I couldn't aim where I thought I was aiming.  One of the best golf investments I've made to date.  MGS did a great article on putter fitting as well.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-fitted-vs-non-fitted-putters/

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-fitted-vs-non-fitted-putters-part-ii/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Bogeyinthewoods wins the prize for best advice given today. :). I'm going to take that one to the course. I'm also going to take advantage of my free lesson this week because back to back rounds in the 80s are not my idea of a grand time.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Bogeyinthewoods wins the prize for best advice given today. :). I'm going to take that one to the course. I'm also going to take advantage of my free lesson this week because back to back rounds in the 80s are not my idea of a grand time.

+1 and to that sentiment I will be in a cabana on the beach with some nice rum drinks for the next day until the wife arrives in the Bahamas.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

+1 and to that sentiment I will be in a cabana on the beach with some nice rum drinks for the next day until the wife arrives in the Bahamas.

Rum drinks in a cabana on the beach and getting selected as a Hogan irons tester. That's my kind of day jmikecpa! Lol

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Stop!!!!!!!!!! :)

I hit 3 balls in the water, made double from 100 in the middle of the fairway (not one of the balls in the water), shot 83, didn't get selected and as an added bonus get to sit through a Middle School production of the Little Mermaid for the third night in a row. Oh and I also get to sit through a 21/2 college graduation at 830 tomorrow morning just so I can't possibly get the bad taste f today's round out of my mouth for a few days.

Amazingly I'm in a great mood. But you guys are pushing me over the edge.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The sad thing for me is that back to back rounds in the 80's would mean I have improved immensely. Yet I am guessing that NOT being able to shoot back to back 80's is why I am not a tester. I am happy for those who did, but my stay at the 19th might be a bit longer this weekend...

IF THIS DAMN RAIN EVER STOPS!

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Beer?

as a cause or a solution?

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

I have my own version of the lesson thing. I go back to basics with the version of the Little Red Book my Dad wrote for me the year before he died. I darn near have it memorized but I will review it from time to time when having problems. My next thing is my lifelong friend that I have known and played golf with for over 40 years. He is a pretty darn good player himself. I was having problems hooking the ball for a couple of weeks and I mean my nasty rope hook from days gone by. My wife helped me do a live video to his daughter's phone and he was on his and him and his daughter spotted it right off. I was rolling my right wrist over at impact and with my outside in cut swing that spells disaster. Stopped the wrist breakdown and the rope hook went away. Also I had started picking the club up with the right hand on the start of the swing and that got me all messed up to start with. Sometimes you need another set of eyes to set you straight

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I like Stu's advice. OP if you haven't read any golf books, do a little research, find one that interests you, and read it. I would stay away from The Golfing Machine unless you're an engineer. One of the first big time golf instructors I worked with (Ron Gring) was a GM nazi and gave me a copy of the book. Three pages in and I felt like I was in HS math all over again!

One of my personal favorites is Zen Golf. I don't know if you can check things out at a library anymore, heck they prob don't even have golf books in there, but you could probably find it online for under $25.

People such as yourself who already put in time and effort sometimes need a little mental help. You just have to be open to it.

Good luck!

I play golf for enjoyment, when that stops so will I.

Do I want to score my best and improve, of course.

But at 59 years old, I am more interested in fun and friendship, good luck!

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Well mate there is a wealth of good advice thus far on the page.  All I would add is are you mapping or keeping stats that will show you where your game is costing you shots and That will tell you where you need to focus your practise.  I can sit down after a game and go through the round hole by hole and pin point exactly what cost me a double or a bogey whether it was a poor chip, bad iron etc.  Failing that lessons.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Its all your mental game.  You are putting so much pressure on yourself to play well that you are getting in your own way.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Good post there Badger! Dead on it. I have been guilty of that myself a lot of times

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Good post there Badger! Dead on it. I have been guilty of that myself a lot of times

Same here. Sometimes I find myself trying to place shots where they need to go instead of just hitting them.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Its all your mental game. You are putting so much pressure on yourself to play well that you are getting in your own way.

I plead guilty. Back to "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Seriously guys- check out Zen Golf, by Joe Parent I think.

Just bought it. Looking forward to reading it.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Seriously guys- check out Zen Golf, by Joe Parent I think.

Just found it. Gonna go get it after work. 

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Just a guess, but based on your handicap I'm thinking you are a decent ball striker and generally don't have too much trouble getting around the course. You say your big trouble is 50yds and in and putting, sounds exactly like my game.

Here is your first stop, read this. http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Pelzs-Short-Game-Bible/dp/0767903447/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431718088&sr=8-1&keywords=dave+pelz

As for the lessons it comes to one question. Is your trouble technique or execution? If you have bad technique then a pro can really help you out. If it's execution then it's all about getting the reps in so when you get on the course it's second nature and you don't have to think about it.

Here are a couple tips that have helped me out...

- Take how ever many wedges you have and develop some stock shots. Take a full swing with a normal grip. Then grip down to the steel and take the same swing. Say you have 3 wedges that should give you 6 stock distances that you are comfortable with. Do the same thing with 1/2 swings and now you have 12 stock distances you are comfortable with. Try to pick your tee shot or layup to give you the best chance at ending up at one of those distances.

- Try to eliminate putting yourself into that trouble zone. This might mean picking a different club off the tee or laying up to a specific distance (see above) vs trying to hit it as far as you can.

- Go get fit for your putter. I just did that this year and realized I've been trying to play with a putter that I couldn't aim where I thought I was aiming. One of the best golf investments I've made to date. MGS did a great article on putter fitting as well.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-fitted-vs-non-fitted-putters/

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-fitted-vs-non-fitted-putters-part-ii/

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

This is what I am looking for. I really do appreciate the information you have shared. I struggle with being random at my game. I can hit a 50 yard shot 3 ft from the pin, drop a ball and hit the exact shot 20 15 ft from the pin. My chipping was on fire today. Yesterday I could chip without Hitting it thin or getting it close. I also seem to not be able to remember every time I chip to keep my head down.

I kept track of the grass mark on my chips and it was scattered on the face yesterday. It is almost like I twitch on my downward action before I hit the ball. I will read up and take the info to the course.

Thank you.

Y'all have me laughing with the 19th hole.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

Thinking about "keeping your head down" is one of the worst things you could think about during a swing. The only thing that will accomplish is preventing you from turning through the shot properly. That will make you more inconsistent than you realize.

Archived