TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing in the Rain

DJNiich

There is never any instruction to recreational and amateur players on how to play in the rain except to NOT play in the rain. Sometimes you just get the itch where you want to play in the rain but not really sure if you are prepared. I just came across the one thing no golfer should experience, soaked grips that can't even get dry with a towel.

What should be done before and while playing to maintain the edge and not fall apart? Mentally and Physically

Well the only time I have ever played a round in the rain in which it was raining before we started was at Golf Magazine's ClubTest back about 4 or 5 years ago. We had to go out and it was a monsoon. Playing in the rain is definitely a challenge! You have to be prepared! I know that no matter what the weather is I always have the following in my bag:

-Rain suit

-Rain gloves

-Hood for my bag (The one I have does a solid job of keep my clubs dry during bad weather)

-Frogger towel (actually stays dry on the inside if it's raining so I can keep my grips dry

-Umbrella

These items don't make it pleasurable, but they at least make it tolerable if you get caught in the rain.

Rain Grips are big here. They work great.

Take an extra club because the rain will knock the ball down some.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I think the first key to playing in the rain is to accept being wet, accept wet equipment, wet grips, wet headcovers, etc. If you've stopped wasting thought and energy on trying to stay dry, you've got a good start.

Beyond that, I think the above posts have offered good advice: rain suits & lots of towels.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Rain Grips are big here. They work great.

Take an extra club because the rain will knock the ball down some.

3JACK

Excellent advice. The ball will also slide up an iron's face taking away additional distance. I take an extra club or two and swing easy.

Semper Fi

My Club

I hate playing in the rain!

I try to never do it, but the only things that I've found to make it more bearable and not such a pain in the rear is to:

- club up and swing easy

- forget about trying stay dry: wear your rain-suit, hat, gloves whatever....then forget about it, just get soaked.

Using the above as my guide, I've actually played decent the last few times I had to play in the rain.

I live in Oregon, where if you don't play in the rain, you don't play. All above tips are good, however, nobody suggested a rain hat. I can almost forget carrying an umbrella with a good rain hat and excellent rain wear. I prefer the Zero Restriction Rain Gear. Keep your grips as dry as possible, and change your batch of smaller towels out at the turn. Playing in the rain is fun and challenging, if you do it right.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

When your buddy dips into his pocket and drags out his soggy wallet, because he sucks at wet weather golf.... well that is when the fun begins.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

A bit off topic, but can anyone recommend rain pants for a person with a 36 waist and 30 inseam? 6' tall with 30" legs is often a deal breaker for clothing.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

A bit off topic, but can anyone recommend rain pants for a person with a 36 waist and 30 inseam? 6' tall with 30" legs is often a deal breaker for clothing.

Zero Restriction -- it's pricey, but it's the best. You actually order it to size.

It's fun for a few holes and then you begin thinking...."why am I out here?"

+1

Titleist 909 D2 10.5 s

TM Burner TP 13 deg r

TM R7 16 deg r

Callaway 3 Ibrid 19 deg r

Epon 701 4-PW s

Gauge Design 52, 56 deg s

TM Inza

I need to get some rain gear this year... I think just a jacket will work, do you guys recommend any one in particular? I just joined a league, and we play unless there is lightning, and that lead to some wet times last year...

So what do you suggest?

EDIT: I forgot to mention... reasonably priced...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• 3 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

Just have some hot chocolate and wait for it to pass. you don't have to golf all the time.

Maybe in AZ, but rain there is cheating. I lived in Phoenix for 5 years (go devils) and the rain would just come on like a demon and then be done 15 minutes later.

The number of lightning bolts in the sky is a whole other animal though.

I'm lookin for a roof at that point...

Volvo Intorqueo

Maybe in AZ, but rain there is cheating. I lived in Phoenix for 5 years (go devils) and the rain would just come on like a demon and then be done 15 minutes later.

The number of lightning bolts in the sky is a whole other animal though.

I'm lookin for a roof at that point...

Lately we've been getting long, cold rain that doesn't seem to pass. (go devils back at ya)

• SPY VIP

Lately we've been getting long, cold rain that doesn't seem to pass. (go devils back at ya)

that sounds like NorCal, 20 days of rain in Feb or something like that.

carpet has some divots as a result :)

(under the couch, dont tell wife)

Volvo Intorqueo

Rain gloves, and gear, will play some, but not a down pour.

True. I played in a drizzle for about 18 holes total and the gloves were enough. There's nothing you can do when it's truly raining except go in or decide to grind it out and be miserable.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

tall cans of natty for the pain too?

Maybe, again, my drinking of Natural Light is purely connected to hot, over 95 degrees temps of the summer and high humidity. Natty is best as a "refreshment" when you still want to drink beer instead of water or gatoraid.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived