TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf! One hole or even a shot can break you! Mentally!

BRDGOLFING

I have come to the conclusion, that one whole or one shot really does cost me a 9 or sometimes my whole round. I do have a laid back temper with people. Golfing just seems to break me down mentally some times. I can be 1 or 2 over after 5 or 6 holes and be happy. I some how always get 2 to 3 doubles in a round. one is not a head buster, but two or three is mentally bad for me. I rarely recover if I have 2 doubles within the first 9 holes. I know that we have all been in the spot where we feel like we can never get anything right in a round of golf. My biggest mental fault is when I hit a nice tee shot, nice second shot on the green and then 3 putt. My other is when I almost drive a green and then come out with a bogey because of a bad chip shot and a three putt combined.

How do y'all recover from a bad hole or a bad shot?

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

Try to focus on the process of making a good shot. Not the outcome of every shot.

I have a pre-shot where I reinforce certain aspects of my swing. Generally, fixes for the trouble spots. The "thought process" is....this is what I need to do to make a good swing...then make the swing... now did I do everything to make a good swing?  Yes or no.

I do not worry too much about the outcome. You can make a good swing and have a bad outcome. You can make a bad swing and have a good outcome. I raised up and bladed a wedge shot on Sunday and it skipped across the water and ran up on the green for a putt at birdie. Did I get mad? Heck no, I still had a birdie putt. Conversely, several holes later I made a really nice swing that wound up in a bad spot.

But the most important thing was that after a couple of bad shots on early holes cost me bogies, I was able to focus on the process of making a good swing and ended up going 2 under on the last 12 holes to finish even par and be in the money.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Good advice Rick. Here's another piece of it. When you've hit a bad shot don't try to bite off more than you can chew with the next one. It's much easier to save par after a bad tee shot by hitting three good shots than trying to hit a great one. It's also very important to have a positive mental image after that bad shot or in those cases where you have wasted strokes in the past.

So instead of thinking about that time when you drove close to the green and made bogey remember the time when you had a similar pitch and got it up and down.

I'm just as human as the next guy and I have those times when my game falters (now) but by in large I can hold a round together.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As soon as I read the title I knew exactly what you were talking about without eve reading the comments. For me, I usually hold it together if I feel I can still compete in the round, but once I feel like I cannot produce a decent score from the bad round, mentally it's over. Then the physical part goes soon after. Since there are many Saturdays where I go straight to the course after working all night, it can really be a challenge physically and mentally to hold it together for the entire round, because first I get physically tired, but when I get mentally tired it's very difficult to return. PhysicLly I can just add more club and try To make a good swing. Mentally, well some might say Im Already a mental case, or more appropriate a head case

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I've done quite a bit of reading on the mental game over the past week so I'm working hard at it cause it's definitely been an issue for me. I played two days ago. Started with pars on 1 and 2 then doubles on 3 and 4. Last week I probably would've stressed about it and crashed and burned. I was able to stay focused and finished with an 81. Made bogeys on the last 5 holes which was dissapointing but I wasn't worried about score and it was one of the most enjoyable rounds I've played in a while.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have been thinking about what y'all have written on this post. I do not mentally approach the ball with the intention of playing my shot in my head. I look at where the ball needs to go and then hit. I need to make that a big part of my pre shot. I will enforce that this Saturday. As RoverRick mentioned!

RevKev, I see where you are coming from. I actually have a hole that is a par 5 with water on the right 100% of the hole and water/ out of bounds on the left side of the hole. Out of the last ten times that I have played it. I have scored 5 double, 3 bogeys, 1 par and 1 eagle. This hole is a nemesis to me and I actually dread it. This is where I need that positive mental image you speak of.

Kor.A.Door, I get that feeling of the physical drain when playing sometimes. It is almost like you can be physically tired but playing good at the same time and your good mind set allows your body to keep going and feeling good. Then you have the mind bog and it is almost like it drains you physically no matter how good you felt in the beginning.

jbil8802, That sounds just like me sometimes. Starting out with 2 doubles in the first 6 to 9 holes. That is a big reason for this post. Sometimes I add a bogey or a couple after that and then I am done most of the time and end up with a bad round.

Thank y'all for the replies!

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

For me, there are a few clubs in my bag (and I do mean a FEW) that I just KNOW I can hit. I will often look to those clubs right after a bad shot. My 7 iron is a good example. I know my next shot may not be a 7 iron. Many times it isnt enough club for the next shot. Doesn't matter. I know a good 7 iron that leaves me short will still put me in a great place for my next shot. If it is too much club, I just play it with really soft hands. 

Either way, I bet you have a "go to" club. If so, make that your next shot. I often find that the right club that makes a good next shot for me puts me right back on track. 

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Hardest hole in golf? The one after a triple.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Out of the last ten times that I have played it. I have scored 5 double, 3 bogeys, 1 par and 1 eagle.

An Eagle?  Doesn't that make this an eagle hole?  :lol:  Not really.

I have a par 5 on my course that does not set up well for me off the tee, plus there is all kinds of trouble around the green. After tracking my scores and playing it different ways, I found that playing to my strengths on this hole is the best. Wedges and putter are my strengths. So 50-100 out for the approach will most likely yield a birdie. So, 3 iron, 3 iron, partial wedge shot and birdie putt.

Saturday, in a two-man best ball tournament, we arrive at that tee box with 4 holes to play (2 par 5's, a 3 and a 4) and my partner says "we need to be 5 under on these last 4 holes. (No pressure.) I had my hand on the iron, but decided all I had to do was hit two good shots. I hit one right down the middle, BUT that was my third because my first went OB. I was pretty much out of the hole and double bogied and he parred it.

Sunday, still in the tournament, we arrive at this hole, and he says, we need to be 4 under on the last 4 holes to win. I hit 3 iron, 3 iron, wedge and a 6 foot birdie putt. I shot -2 on the last 4 holes and could have been -4 if the putts had dropped and we tied for second, 1 stroke back.

Moral of the story. Had I played that hole the way I had planned to on Saturday, we might have had the two strokes we needed to win.

Play the hole in a way that gives you the best chance for a good score while minimizing a bad score. Easier to say sitting at home, hard to do when everyone is hitting driver on the course.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

For me, there are a few clubs in my bag (and I do mean a FEW) that I just KNOW I can hit. I will often look to those clubs right after a bad shot. My 7 iron is a good example. I know my next shot may not be a 7 iron. Many times it isnt enough club for the next shot. Doesn't matter. I know a good 7 iron that leaves me short will still put me in a great place for my next shot. If it is too much club, I just play it with really soft hands. 

Either way, I bet you have a "go to" club. If so, make that your next shot. I often find that the right club that makes a good next shot for me puts me right back on track.

"Then there's the 7-iron. I never miss with the 7-iron."

“It's the only truly safe club in my bag.”

"Parred the backside with a 7-iron." :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interesting. There;s nothing like a PBFU in my book... a post birdie F up. After a bad shot I try to let it go. Walking allows me to do this because of how long it takes in between shots. Riding helps as well. Best advice I have found is to go back to basics or play an even more conserative shot after a bad one. Take a big number out of play and give yourself a chance to be a hero with a wedge or putter.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Being outcome and score focussed always hurts me and my game.  It took me a long time to realise the fate of the free world did not hang on the result of any shot I hit or score I posted.  In the early days when I was off 5 a double absolutely would ruin my day because it is so hard to come back and then play to your handicap which what I was always desperately trying to do.

It is a game that we play for fun and enjoyment and that is my focus these days.  I'm on the down hill side of 50 now so the more I focus on fun the better I feel.  Besides that, Qui Gon Jin said "Remember Anikan your focus determines your reality" and if its good enough for a Jedi master it's good enough for me.  I scored like crap today but made 2 birdies, hit some pure 3 woods, won the pot of gold for a nearest the pin which was $30, and $20 for the two birdies that were on par threes and the club rewards them with $10 pro shop vouchers.  THAT is what I choose to focus on.  Keeps me comin back for more and a smile on my face  : :) :  Also as someone said above finding a different way to play that par 5 so it becomes a strength in your round is the way to go.  I'm trying to do that with our 6th hole no.1 stroke index and my card wrecker at the moment, but I WILL succeed.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Y'all have some great advice and good events to back the advice up. I can relate more than ever to the events that happen to you all. It makes me feel better about my game and the future of it. Knowing that there are things to still try out. I most of the time find myself trying to make a big shot to make up a penalty on the same hole. I need to take the advice from y'all and focus on a good recovery rather than try to make a big shot in hopes of still scoring low. I for sure need to change something.

Thank y'all! Keep the advice coming and the good stories. It helps me out and I am sure it helps others also.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

"Then there's the 7-iron. I never miss with the 7-iron."

“It's the only truly safe club in my bag.”

"Parred the backside with a 7-iron." :)

I hit the 7 like Daly hits the 3.

Winner winner Chicken Dinner!!!!

Look, boss, I only got one rule. And that's never bet money that you don't have on a dog race with an ex-girlfriend who happens to be a stripper.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

One shot. One ball.... One pelican.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Y'all have some great advice and good events to back the advice up. I can relate more than ever to the events that happen to you all. It makes me feel better about my game and the future of it. Knowing that there are things to still try out. I most of the time find myself trying to make a big shot to make up a penalty on the same hole. I need to take the advice from y'all and focus on a good recovery rather than try to make a big shot in hopes of still scoring low. I for sure need to change something.

Thank y'all! Keep the advice coming and the good stories. It helps me out and I am sure it helps others also.

That's what we're here for! I find that most of us have done the very same things that others have. We are not alone in this. I like the stories too; many good laughs. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun. It can be frustrating sometimes, but that too becomes part of the game. How we cope with adversity says a lot about the person we are. If the game stops being fun or I don't feel the challenge of each shot, then I will stop playing the game.... I don't see that happening!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It is all about perspective and staying current. Played like absolute crap for the first four holes on Saturday morning. Double on 1, double on two, bogey on three, double on 4. They are four of the easiest holes on the course and turning them in even par is normally a bad day let alone 7 over. Regrouped on 5 with a drive striped down the middle, lob wedge to a foot for birdie. Ended up playing the last 14 holes in 6 under and salvaged the round. I try and keep the poor shots or holes as it may be behind me and focus on what is in front of me.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I played this past Saturday, Sunday and Monday! It was hot as ever but fun. I shot a 80 on Saturday with three doubles in my first nine. I had one birdie that round. I kept my cool and still had fun.

Sunday I started out great with a birdie on hole 1 and finished with a bogey on hole 9. I birdied hole 10 which put me back at 1 under for the round. I got to my kryptonite. Hole 14! I doubled it, pared the 15th, doubled 16th, pared 17th and bogeyed the 18th. This is where I seem to not be able to do anything right. This stretch of holes on my home course.

Monday was almost as bad as Sunday. I shot a 82 with 4 doubles and 2 bogeys. Man I was struggling that day. I still kept my cool and enjoyed the round.

I will eventually be able to keep my cool and rebound at the same time.

In the bag!

Maxfli Irons 4-A

Archived