TESTERS WANTED! ×

standing too far from the ball

I just used a handycam and recorded my swing yesterday.  I noticed I stood too far from the ball.  My hands are too far forward.  When my tempo is off, I have a push fade.  The ball starts straight then curves to the right.  Pretty bad.   So my question does standing too far from the ball can cause a slice/push fade? 

O btw I'm not a 1 handicap :)

Yes, I can cause the push slice, but may not be the only cause of it, I find that if I stand to far away from the ball I tend to pull away from the ball during the swing, which will case the push fade, at the same time if I am too close to the ball it will be a pull draw. Although it can cause the issues, I don't think it's the main cause. The flaw is still in the swing itself, with the stance being what it is, it will just over emphasize the real issue, if that makes sense

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Here's an easy way to determine if you are too close or too far from the ball. I saw this demonstrated by Butch Harmon. I've also seen many pros on TV using this technique prior to making a shot.

Take your normal address position. Then (for right-handers) release your right hand off the grip. If your hand appears to move forward you are too close. If you right hand appears to move back you are too far away. It's simple and takes only a second to check. I use this off and on all the time. Give it a try. I think you'll see what I mean.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Here's an easy way to determine if you are too close or too far from the ball. I saw this demonstrated by Butch Harmon. I've also seen many pros on TV using this technique prior to making a shot.

Take your normal address position. Then (for right-handers) release your right hand off the grip. If your hand appears to move forward you are too close. If you right hand appears to move back you are too far away. It's simple and takes only a second to check. I use this off and on all the time. Give it a try. I think you'll see what I mean.

Basically let your arm hang loose from your shoulder and see if it matches the spot where the grip is.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

First things first-- impossible to diagnose a swing online without a video. You might think you're doing one thing (even with your video evidence) but in actuality you may be doing something entirely different and because you don't know what to look for, you're way off. Never in my life have I seen someone stand closer to the golf ball and instantly cure their slice. That's just ridiculous to think. It may fix it for a bit, buy why put a band-aid on a broken arm?

All the things considered equal and you don't have any major swing flaws: if you're too far away, you will have a very flat swing which should produce shallow, thin divots and more times than not, resulting in a drawing ball flight. However, if you're too close, you will have a very steep golf swing which should produce deep divots and most likely resulting in a slicing ball flight.

Couple things to remember- face angle determines where the ball starts out (in relation to your target) there's no discrediting that. Chances are you have some other issue causing the problem.

I've been guilty of standing too close to the ball before... After I hit it too

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It also depends on your swing type. I use a single plane swing ala Moe Norman and I am a lot further away from the ball than those using a 2-plane swing. Think of Steve Stricker vs. Jim Furyk.

Since I don't know what your swing looks like, it hard to give advice. How did you determine that you were too far away? Do you know how far you should be for you swing? Ball position in relation to swing path could also be an issue. Have you asked you club teaching pro?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It also depends on your swing type. I use a single plane swing ala Moe Norman and I am a lot further away from the ball than those using a 2-plane swing. Think of Steve Stricker vs. Jim Furyk.

Since I don't know what your swing looks like, it hard to give advice. How did you determine that you were too far away? Do you know how far you should be for you swing? Ball position in relation to swing path could also be an issue. Have you asked you club teaching pro?

I know because I hit most of my shots on the toe.   And I've seen some good players golf swing video and I think I stand too far (my reference is fred couples and ernie els).  And I do understand the cause of my push slice.  It's an out to in swing path.  A golf fitter already told me that.    When I stand too far from the ball, it's harder to make an inside out swing path.  

I have not practiced for months (the last time I was at a range it was still freezing cold).   And it's about time now to groove my swing again.  

I know because I hit most of my shots on the toe.   And I've seen some good players golf swing video and I think I stand too far (my reference is fred couples and ernie els).  And I do understand the cause of my push slice.  It's an out to in swing path.  A golf fitter already told me that.    When I stand too far from the ball, it's harder to make an inside out swing path.  

I have not practiced for months (the last time I was at a range it was still freezing cold).   And it's about time now to groove my swing again.  

Interesting. I had the exact opposite problem for years. I hit it off the heel and everyone said it was probably me standing to close. After a year or so, I finally started grooving and in to out swing from the same distance. That fixed that issue. Point is that it may be swing and not setup. Only way to properly know is to take a video and see a pro or maybe one of the guys here would see something and offer a suggestion. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Interesting. I had the exact opposite problem for years. I hit it off the heel and everyone said it was probably me standing to close. After a year or so, I finally started grooving and in to out swing from the same distance. That fixed that issue. Point is that it may be swing and not setup. Only way to properly know is to take a video and see a pro or maybe one of the guys here would see something and offer a suggestion. 

Already got my swing analyzed by a fitter.  But I need more practice.   It's funny because when I'm on and my tempo is good.  I hit almost everything in the center of the clubface.  Maybe it's a tempo thing and not swing path problem. 

I think everyone has tempo problems now and them. I certainly do! When it's good, contact feels great. When it's not, my tendency is hitting towards the heel, and you know what happens if it gets too close to the hosel!! It can change mid-round, and it's tough to get my tempo back. I start thinking too much, which makes it worse.

I have to force myself to "nod to the gods".

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think everyone has tempo problems now and them. I certainly do! When it's good, contact feels great. When it's not, my tendency is hitting towards the heel, and you know what happens if it gets too close to the hosel!! It can change mid-round, and it's tough to get my tempo back. I start thinking too much, which makes it worse.

I have to force myself to "nod to the gods".

Tin Cup reference! Awesome. My tendency is to get really quick in the transition from backswing to attack. I've actually had to tell myself to "pause at the top". When my tempo is on I hit some really flush shots that fly miles. When it's off, it can be fat, thin, or the dreaded so thin it goes 40 yards past the target. Tempo has always been a key to the game and something I think a lot of recreational golfers overlook when the swing goes awry.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

Tin Cup reference! Awesome. My tendency is to get really quick in the transition from backswing to attack. I've actually had to tell myself to "pause at the top". When my tempo is on I hit some really flush shots that fly miles. When it's off, it can be fat, thin, or the dreaded so thin it goes 40 yards past the target. Tempo has always been a key to the game and something I think a lot of recreational golfers overlook when the swing goes awry.

Well the reason I don't pause that long at the top of my swing because when I was a beginner golfer, a driving range instructor told me "don't pause too long you will lose power hitting the ball".  But I think that statement is not accurate.....   since I see some LPGA ladies, can hit it a mile (260 yards for ladies is long) and they pause about a second at the top of their swings. 

About tip cup: still don't comprehend "the nods to the gods" and I watched that movie more than 3 times. 

Well the reason I don't pause that long at the top of my swing because when I was a beginner golfer, a driving range instructor told me "don't pause too long you will lose power hitting the ball".  But I think that statement is not accurate.....   since I see some LPGA ladies, can hit it a mile (260 yards for ladies is long) and they pause about a second at the top of their swings. 

About tip cup: still don't comprehend "the nods to the gods" and I watched that movie more than 3 times.

You are right. Several players have pauses at the top of their swing. LPGA players In Bee Park and Ai Miyazato come to mind. On the PGA tour, Hideki Matsuyama comes to mind. Long time ago, Bob Murphy had probably the longest pause on the PGA and Champions Tour.

I don't think it matters much on how you get to the top, it what happens once you start the downswing that really counts. That and the tempo doing it.

"Nod to the gods" referenced during the driving range lesson. Waggle

You are right. Several players have pauses at the top of their swing. LPGA players In Bee Park and Ai Miyazato come to mind. On the PGA tour, Hideki Matsuyama comes to mind. Long time ago, Bob Murphy had probably the longest pause on the PGA and Champions Tour.

I don't think it matters much on how you get to the top, it what happens once you start the downswing that really counts. That and the tempo doing it.

"Nod to the gods" referenced during the driving range lesson. Waggle

Ai Miyazato's backswing is far too slow.... it's like watching a swing sequence in slow motion video.   I cannot make a backswing that slow....

I like Fred Couples' tempo..... I'm building a swing with that tempo. 

I also notice my take away about waist's height is far too far from the body.   Could this be the reason of out to in swing path?  Any feedbacks.... 

Swing tempo generally mirrors ones personality. Someone who is calm and casual will generally have a slow and smooth tempo. One who is very type a and go-Go-GO attitude will have a quick transition and tempo. You can NOT tell someone whose personality reflects their golf swing to change their tempo. They're just not wired that way.

Ai Miyazato's backswing is far too slow.... it's like watching a swing sequence in slow motion video.   I cannot make a backswing that slow....

I like Fred Couples' tempo..... I'm building a swing with that tempo. 

I also notice my take away about waist's height is far too far from the body.   Could this be the reason of out to in swing path?  Any feedbacks....

Apprenti23 is right about the swing tempo matching your personality. My tempo gets off when my takeaway is too quick. It's not pretty to watch! :) Freddy is always nice to copy if you are as limber as he is, bad back and all.

As for the takeaway, I didn't know you could get too far from the body. Most instructors like a wide takeaway. Just don't sway like I tend to do. If you take the club too far to the inside at waist height, that will promote an out to in swing. The other thing to look for is not starting the downswing with your upper body. I do that somewhat due to inflexibility of old age. I have to focus on making sure my shoulders don't rotate through until impact. But that's just me.

Apprenti23 is right about the swing tempo matching your personality. My tempo gets off when my takeaway is too quick. It's not pretty to watch! :) Freddy is always nice to copy if you are as limber as he is, bad back and all.

As for the takeaway, I didn't know you could get too far from the body. Most instructors like a wide takeaway. Just don't sway like I tend to do. If you take the club too far to the inside at waist height, that will promote an out to in swing. The other thing to look for is not starting the downswing with your upper body. I do that somewhat due to inflexibility of old age. I have to focus on making sure my shoulders don't rotate through until impact. But that's just me.

I'm thinking if your take away is too far from the body, it will be all hands doing the work and less the body.   And it will promote an out to in to in swing.   But if your take away is pretty close to the body (not too close when you see your swing from the back) , when your bring your club to the top, your body will follow the hands and you will have a more shoulder turn (which is good).

Besides that, I have new drill.  Put a shaft about 10 inches behind the ball (parallel to the toe side of the club head, in this case a driver head), angled the shaft about 30*, stick it to the ground ..... and if you hit the shaft during the downswing, it means you have an out to in swing.   If you don't hit the shaft, you are swinging from the inside.  Did that today, I rarely hit the shaft anyway.....

Swing tempo generally mirrors ones personality. Someone who is calm and casual will generally have a slow and smooth tempo. One who is very type a and go-Go-GO attitude will have a quick transition and tempo. You can NOT tell someone whose personality reflects their golf swing to change their tempo. They're just not wired that way.

There's a lot of golfers that's not true. They walk fast, but swing slow... one of the golf mags did a report on that same subject.  I think tempo and personality are similar but have seen enough golfers who walk really fast, talk slow, and swing somewhere in the middle. I don't think there's a true cause and effect with that.

There's a lot of golfers that's not true. They walk fast, but swing slow... one of the golf mags did a report on that same subject.  I think tempo and personality are similar but have seen enough golfers who walk really fast, talk slow, and swing somewhere in the middle. I don't think there's a true cause and effect with that.

There's always exceptions

Go see your local PGA pro.  B)

Nope, done that before.  They just give me a band-aid.  Quick fix, what ever you want to call it.  "your hands this your hand that" but they never give your an understanding how to swing on the right swing path. 

I want to understand more about a swing mechanic so I know what I'm doing wrong.   I want something works in the long run..... 

Sometimes I feel like you need to have your own understanding of the swing. If you don't understand what makes it fade and what makes it draw then I don't know what to tell you.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

If you're a self medicater like myself, use video to check yourself. I personally just used my camera to check some positions. Lately I've been having issues with the fairways woods. Just seeing the positions on video showed me that even though I THOUGHT my ball position ok, it was way too far forward. Sometimes it's not something you can feel - you need to see it.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

If you're a self medicater like myself, use video to check yourself. I personally just used my camera to check some positions. Lately I've been having issues with the fairways woods. Just seeing the positions on video showed me that even though I THOUGHT my ball position ok, it was way too far forward. Sometimes it's not something you can feel - you need to see it.

I got a feeling you didn't read the original post....:)

Sometimes I feel like you need to have your own understanding of the swing. If you don't understand what makes it fade and what makes it draw then I don't know what to tell you.

I know how make a draw..... that's a quick fix if I'm hitting slice.  

I got a feeling you didn't read the original post....:)

Oops. ;-)

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived