TESTERS WANTED! ×

A New Solution For Slow Play?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Do it once, everyone else will get the message...

" data-width="500">
">

A new solution for slow play...

Posted by Hack to Jack on Sunday, May 17, 2015

Think it would work?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Haha! Love it! I know the feeling.

The whole, "They paid to play the same as you did." argument is one of the stupidest ever. That doesn't give someone the right to hold up the course for six or seven hours!

The whole, "They paid to play the same as you did." argument is one of the stupidest ever. That doesn't give someone the right to hold up the course for six or seven hours!

I believe we are on the same page on that One.

Great Vid Barbajo! I need to invest in a rocket launcher instead of hoing quite so much.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Yep I'm up for that one, get me a launcher and some ammo and we're away! :mad:

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I agree with you 110% There seems to be a forgotten rule about being considerent of others in both golf and everyday life.

I will also add another bad attitude us locals hear a lot down here. "The only reason you people are able to live down here and play those nice courses is because of us tourists we keep them up for you" Ok so who keeps the course revenues flowing the other 10 months of the year?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I rarely hit a four iron so that could come out of the bag. Do they make a USGA legal rocket launcher???? I would imagine that it may be Tour only.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Meh, if a golf ranger actually pushed people forward it would be better. I know they are scared that people will badmouth them and drive away business if word gets out the service was rude, but geez. I've played multiple rounds where I've told the guy and he just says I'll talk to them but nothing ever gets done. I've been the slow guy sure, but usually I'm trying to do the little things like waiting until the next tee box to score a hole so that I don't hold up play.

As for the rocket launcher, where and how can I get one?

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I really think that the pro or whoever sets tee times at the shop and sends people out- should remind people to let OTHER's play through, and to play ready golf. The BIGGEST thing should be to encourage pepole to tee it forward. I don't know how many times I have had to wait for the group ahead who hits it 120-180yds with their woods play from the second to farthest tees, and who refuse to let you play through.

And tell this to everyone even the "regulars" including the long attending members- at one of the clubs I play at they go out 5 to a group- absolutely dreadful.

Today I went out to one of my local courses, and there was a foursome at the tee playing from the whites. They let me tee off, saw the yardage difference and let me play through which was great. Also great when the first drive ends up 20 yds from the green (humble brag ;) ) but the group of 4 ahead wouldn't let me play through. Joined a group of three on the back that made the wait a little more tolerable.

Sidenote: shot a +2 on the front and a +10 on the back- ouch. Maybe the wait does help...

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I really think that the pro or whoever sets tee times at the shop and sends people out- should remind people to let OTHER's play through, and to play ready golf. The BIGGEST thing should be to encourage pepole to tee it forward. I don't know how many times I have had to wait for the group ahead who hits it 120-180yds with their woods play from the second to farthest tees, and who refuse to let you play through.

And tell this to everyone even the "regulars" including the long attending members- at one of the clubs I play at they go out 5 to a group- absolutely dreadful.

Today I went out to one of my local courses, and there was a foursome at the tee playing from the whites. They let me tee off, saw the yardage difference and let me play through which was great. Also great when the first drive ends up 20 yds from the green (humble brag ;) ) but the group of 4 ahead wouldn't let me play through. Joined a group of three on the back that made the wait a little more tolerable.

Sidenote: shot a +2 on the front and a +10 on the back- ouch. Maybe the wait does help...

My Mixed-Bag:

I played as a single Sunday afternoon at my local muni (3:05 tee time).  I was on deck and at the starter's booth just chatting about all the WWII planes flying overhead, when I look at the foursome on the tee box: two couples.  The women had driven the carts forward to their tees and were teeing off while the husbands were waiting back at the whites.  After the women hit their shank and dribbler respectively, they went back to the carts, put them in reverse to drive back to the whites so their husbands could tee off without the expectation (hope?) of killing them.  

I turned to the starter and said, "Did you just see that?"  He just shook his head and rolled his eyes and said, "that's not so bad, two groups ahead of them, two players in a foursome took their bags off the cart to bring with them to the teebox.  I had to run over to explain the purpose of carts and cart paths."

Anyway, there was some attrition during the round, the group with me left after nine, and I wound up walking behind the pachyderm squads the whole day, finishing at 7:50 pm. I had no group directly behind me, so I just had to relax and wait on the green before advancing to the next box to not get aggravated.  I practiced bunker shots and chipping until they cleared each tee - and actually had to wait for their 3rd or 4th shots as I don't think anyone in the group came close to breaking 115-120. 

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I played as a single Sunday afternoon at my local muni (3:05 tee time).  I was on deck and at the starter's booth just chatting about all the WWII planes flying overhead, when I look at the foursome on the tee box: two couples.  The women had driven the carts forward to their tees and were teeing off while the husbands were waiting back at the whites.  After the women hit their shank and dribbler respectively, they went back to the carts, put them in reverse to drive back to the whites so their husbands could tee off without the expectation (hope?) of killing them.  

I turned to the starter and said, "Did you just see that?"  He just shook his head and rolled his eyes and said, "that's not so bad, two groups ahead of them, two players in a foursome took their bags off the cart to bring with them to the teebox.  I had to run over to explain the purpose of carts and cart paths."

Anyway, there was some attrition during the round, the group with me left after nine, and I wound up walking behind the pachyderm squads the whole day, finishing at 7:50 pm. I had no group directly behind me, so I just had to relax and wait on the green before advancing to the next box to not get aggravated.  I practiced bunker shots and chipping until they cleared each tee - and actually had to wait for their 3rd or 4th shots as I don't think anyone in the group came close to breaking 115-120. 

Ah, the joys of nice weather.  When the course is like that, I would almost rather play in the winter when the temperature is 40* and no one is on the course ...  I did say almost.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Worst I ever saw was a young couple.  Initially I thought, how cool it was that his girlfriend played too.  Then I saw how miserably slow they were.  They would sit in the fairway and chat about who-knows-what for waaaay too long.  On one hole, I sat on the tee for 5 minutes and waited while they made out in the fairway.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Worst I ever saw was a young couple.  Initially I thought, how cool it was that his girlfriend played too.  Then I saw how miserably slow they were.  They would sit in the fairway and chat about who-knows-what for waaaay too long.  On one hole, I sat on the tee for 5 minutes and waited while they made out in the fairway.

Wow.  You got me beat.  My condolences!

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Now what a minute! My wife and I got married on the 1st tee of our course 8 years ago. We've done a lot of necking in the fairway since we met in 2001. I can't tell you how many people said, "Get a room!" ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played behind a couple a few weeks ago who I had been behind for a good 4-5 holes and right on them most of the time. At one point he calls her over and shows her fish in a pond. FISH IN A POND! I guess that's unique to him? Worst part was it was too dark to play 18 and fish boy and girl were the reason I couldn't get 18 that day. 

College was worse. Every Friday in the fall it was frat boy Friday on the golf course. I once got stuck behind a 7 some who were playing rap music so loud you could hear it clear across 3 holes. Each cart had multiple 24 or 30 racks. The ranger 3 times told them to break up into groups... I played through them on 14 and they tried to get sympathy from me because the ranger was quote being rude to them.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Just reminded me of last month's outing with some friends. Took us almost 3 hours to get to the 9th hole. There were 2 groups of 4 ahead that were hitting 50yd worm burners. I called it a day after 9.

I think we are all aware of how hard this game can be at times, but common courtesy should always prevail.

My Mixed-Bag:

Wow. 5 hours is a long round. If someone takes even longer than that, they should really stick to an executive course until they can keep a reasonable pace. Or, only play at times the course is nearly empty. Even if they let a group play through, the next group will be on their tail, so it still holds up the entire course behind them. Paying to play doesn't give anyone the right to do that.

I played behind a foursome Sunday at my home course. We have red, grey, white, blue and then gold tees. These guys had one player at the grey, 2 at the white and one at blue. I am not trying to be mean about this, because 3 of them were older gentlemen. This was a disaster from the get go. You can not hold people up by playing three sets of tees in one group. That is not an excuse. We called the ranger out and the ranger told them to speed up or let us play through. They finally sped up. My problem is, you see us waiting every single shot. Why do we have to call a ranger out there for y'all to speed up? After we already politely asked for y'all to let us play through.

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

I have operated golf courses and not using marshals effectively is bad management. You may piss off 4 people but you made 200 very happy. Sure, they will bad mouth aggressive marshalling but real golfers will appreciate it. I would rather fill my course with golfers that understand proper marshalling and be stuck with the reputation of 4.5 hour rounds or less.

P.S. My marshals were also required to pick up more trash than golf balls or go work somewhere else.

I have operated golf courses and not using marshals effectively is bad management. You may piss off 4 people but you made 200 very happy. Sure, they will bad mouth aggressive marshalling but real golfers will appreciate it. I would rather fill my course with golfers that understand proper marshalling and be stuck with the reputation of 4.5 hour rounds or less.

P.S. My marshals were also required to pick up more trash than golf balls or go work somewhere else.

I hate most marshals I meet. My wife and I are not slow players, but we don't like to feel rushed either. When we get paired up with other people (usually guys), marshals will always descend on us to push us along, because they ALWAYS think it's the women's fault. I tell them to back off and watch the group before confronting us. It will be the other guys that we wait on, but the marshals don't look before talking to us.

Another example of bad marshaling... I will never go back to Green Springs GC in St. George, UT because of the marshal and the pro. On a par 3 we had three groups waiting on the tee (it's a shot over a deep gorge). We played the front nine in 2.5 hours, we were riding and we had a walker with us. Not bad considering the wait. We started the back nine and the marshal was at the 10th green telling us that we had to speed up because the gangsome was starting to tee off behind us. I told him to "shove it". He followed us for holes 11-13 repeating his warning on every hole. Made me so mad, my game went to hell and I just started playing as slowly as I could. On a par 3 he was up by the green and the cart path was the only way in or out because of a narrow strip of land to get there. We teed off and I parked my cart so he could move to the next hole, and played the hole very slowly. When we moved to the next tee box, he left and went who knows where; never saw him again. We also never saw the gangsome... Ever! We played the back nine in 2 hours even playing slowly. BTW, the walker with us live on the course and was a member. He apologized for the marshal. I went into the clubhouse and complained to the pro. He blew me off saying that we were one-time players and he had to keep his gangsome members happy. He was right; we will never go back there again.

I hate most marshals I meet. My wife and I are not slow players, but we don't like to feel rushed either. When we get paired up with other people (usually guys), marshals will always descend on us to push us along, because they ALWAYS think it's the women's fault. I tell them to back off and watch the group before confronting us. It will be the other guys that we wait on, but the marshals don't look before talking to us.

Another example of bad marshaling... I will never go back to Green Springs GC in St. George, UT because of the marshal and the pro. On a par 3 we had three groups waiting on the tee (it's a shot over a deep gorge). We played the front nine in 2.5 hours, we were riding and we had a walker with us. Not bad considering the wait. We started the back nine and the marshal was at the 10th green telling us that we had to speed up because the gangsome was starting to tee off behind us. I told him to "shove it". He followed us for holes 11-13 repeating his warning on every hole. Made me so mad, my game went to hell and I just started playing as slowly as I could. On a par 3 he was up by the green and the cart path was the only way in or out because of a narrow strip of land to get there. We teed off and I parked my cart so he could move to the next hole, and played the hole very slowly. When we moved to the next tee box, he left and went who knows where; never saw him again. We also never saw the gangsome... Ever! We played the back nine in 2 hours even playing slowly. BTW, the walker with us live on the course and was a member. He apologized for the marshal. I went into the clubhouse and complained to the pro. He blew me off saying that we were one-time players and he had to keep his gangsome members happy. He was right; we will never go back there again.

That sounds like a HORRIBLE experience! I envy you- that your wife your wife goes out with you; can't get my girlfriend to even hit a driving range with me haha.

I haven't been told to speed up; even when my first ever round of 9 took almost 4 hours haha (helps no one was behind me), I typically don't play during busy times, but during the Summer that is another story. 

I have been told to not bring a cart within 30 yards to the green/ bunkers/ tee boxes, a couple of times (most of the time I am about 50-60yds, lasered it to be a smart a**). Home club puts a White line in front of the green to reinforce it. Other places don't and if you don't have GPS/ laser how do you eyeball? I walk 90% of the time, but lazy friend's want to get carts all the time.

I am not surprised clubs bend over backwards for their regulars. Getting stuck behind 5-somes that won't let you play through keeps the young blood like me away- that's for sure.

My Mixed-Bag:

I can tolerate slow play if the whole course is slow... It is what it is. However, I CANNOT tolerate people behind me hitting into my group. There is nothing worse than trying to putt when a ball land 20 yards from the green. OK, it doesn't roll onto the green (although that has happened), but it's just plain rude. If I was considering letting the group behind play through, no way in hell that's happening now!

I think they were in front of me today...for two holes.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• 2 weeks later...

What an amazing coincidence. I guess I should check in more often.

I lived in Saint George, was a member and played in the gangsome. It was kind of the pros game so that is why the marshal probably pushed so hard. However, that is not an excuse for the behavior.

As a young caddy I quickly discovered that you can not judge a book by it's cover. I worked at a resort course and saw many athletic, well dressed men take 6 hours and shoot 120. While another group of husbands and wives took 4 hours and had a great time. One couple (from Vegas) nearly hit me a couple times (my fault) because they started swinging the second they got to the ball.

Another funny story was when I lived in Delaware, I played with a teenage phenom that went on to play the lpga tour. I tried to get her to embrace the look on guys faces as they approached the tee and relized they were paired with this young girl (playing the men's tees). Unfortunately, I am not a good hustler and don't have the size to back up a good trashing but we usually took all 3 legs of a $5 Nassua.

At our club we do have slow play issues from time to time.  Its usually newer members or a member with 3 guests.  Most of the time they will either speed up or let you through and it resolves itself. 

That works until the women are on the course.  God help you if you are in FRONT of them.  They haul @$$ around the course and if you are an inch behind the group in front of you, someone is making a call to the starter. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

And for the exact opposite, I played the same course on Saturday morning (switched my 11:00 reservation on the Red to a 6:05 a.m. at the muni).  Played in just under 3.5 hours, all four of us walking, and we were stuck behind a group that had lost the group ahead of them by a 1.5 holes until we played through on the 8th.  It helped that it rained for the first few holes and there was no one behind us, so the group didn't mind us going through.

Great round, and we weren't rushing at all.  I got home and the kids were still pouring syrup on the pancakes.

As a not so good golfer, I am the type of person that needs to play slow. That being said, I HATE SLOW PLAY! Ask my friends, I just step up, MAYBE take a practice swing or two, and let her rip! Since I generally only get time in on weekends, I know I cannot hold up the course. 

Heck, I even jump off the cart and grab a club and run to my ball to keep up my pace as I generally have about 15 more swings than the people I am playing with :)

Archived