Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Let's be honest. Do you really "work" the Ball?

PlaidJacket

This is exactly why I do work the ball. If I set up to hit it straight, any errors in the swing and I have no idea where the ball is going. By setting up to hit a draw I can eliminate the right side.

I learned to shape the ball, so that I could go and find the ball.

This is exactly why I hit it straight. I know it's going down the middle and maybe a slight fade. If I tried to hit a draw starting on the right side, sometimes it might and most of the time it doesn't. Might even go right, which is bad. But Hey! Then I could be Tigeresque! :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone is different, very, very few including guys on tour, have the ability to hit all shots equally well, that's way it's best to develop a go to shot, preferably one that curves a bit and stick with it.  Having written that it's easier than ever to hit a straight ball with modern equipment but why?  If you are playing a straight ball intentionally your miss might go either way - that's a disaster. 

I have a cousin who has no preference as to which way he curves the ball but he plays either a fade or a draw regardless because it increases the probability that he will hit the fairway.  I've known a handful of folks through the years who were like him so I guess Rick goes on that list.

If for some reason you're playing a straight ball I would suggest you consider learning to curve it one way or the other most of the time.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I need to clarify my last post. I can fade the ball when I want to, for the most part. I rarely ever do. I would much rather just hit a straight shot. I used to have a natural draw with every club. I lost 60 lbs. a few years ago and I completely lost the draw. I've tried to hit it, but I'm only successful half of the time. Usually it becomes a hook instead of a draw. I never regularly try to "work" the ball. 

I have one hole on my home course that I will, on occasion, hit a fade on purpose because it's a very tight dog leg right with lots of tree trouble on either side.

I can't even begin to shape a shot with irons.

it is very difficult to purposely turn the driver one way or the other, its much easier with todays equipment to turn a 3 or 5 wood a particular direction on purpose, my natural shot shape is draw. I tried to learn fade, but it screwed up my swing for 6 months. I know guys that always hit fade, and I also know guys that always hit draw, rarely does anyone have the ability to do both at will, with any shot they have, as some have said, only when they have no choice do they even attempt to move the ball opposite of their natural shot shape. I cannot move the ball one way or the other at will, but I can move the ball when the shot calls for it, even then, I might do exactly what I want, or it may not quite do what I want.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I understand how to hit fades and typically do it when I try to. My stock shot is a draw though and I don't really practice hitting fades so I don't bother trying it on the course. I do practice flighting the ball down and use that on the course frequently.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Honestly, yes, successfully all the time, no.  Does it matter in the scheme of things probably not.  Accidently, definitely - that'd be when I hit hooks and slices I guess unintentionally.  Do I still love playing in spite of it, definitely.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Worked the ball all over yesterday. Had the high draw, low cut and dead block going strong. Unfortunately I was not trying to actually hit any of them when they snuck into my game.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Worked the ball all over yesterday. Had the high draw, low cut and dead block going strong. Unfortunately I was not trying to actually hit any of them when they snuck into my game.

I logged on to say that I worked the ball wonderfully in this same manner at very strategic time, just when there was a water hazard to work it towards. I had the cut off the bank into the hazzard down pat today! It worked so well that I hit it thrice!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Same here man!

Except said shots were with my putter... I played beautifully tee to green this weekend. Putter murdered me. Today I hit 14 greens, plus chipped in on 1 hole. Still shot 75. I could've putted with a blindfold and it would've been the same. Also 2 of the missed greens were from 80 yards out. lol it was pathetic

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

The long answer is kind of. I had to hit a 30 yard hook on a hole last week and hit it to about 15 feet from 130 out. I can hit hooks pretty easily but can't for the life of me play a fade on command. My natural shot is a draw or a dead straight ball that goes with the wind with the exception of driver. In the last 2-3 months I play a 4-5 yard fade at most and generally is straight. So the answer is mostly no, but if I need a hook or draw I have been able to do it before.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 1 year later...

Been reading various posts this morning both old and new. I still hear guys discussing how they "work" the ball. And many times it's from a higher Hcp. player. No offence... just saying. Again, I'm kind of calling BS on that claim from most guys. You know who you are. LOL. Now I'm also not saying some of you aren't able to "work" the ball. I know a couple of very good players/friends that actually can produce a certain shot shape (work the ball) on demand. I'm just not one of them because I'm not in the Very Good Player category. Working the ball is a cool sounding phrase to toss about when describing one's game. "Hey Plaid you can sure Work the ball". No I can't... well rarely anyway. I normally play a slight draw these days. If need be I can hit more or less draw but that's about it. In fact I can hardly cut or fade the ball anymore. Further, I don't believe that many Tour Pros can "work the ball" either. Just watch them next time they're on TV.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't know about the "work the ball" phrase (always sounded weird to me), but I do like to shape shots to suit the target.

Not just left/right, but I think high/low as well.

Does it always work? Hell no. Probably costs me a few strokes a round, but it's part of what I enjoy.

I did play with an older guy yesterday who was surprisingly good. He only hit a draw. I finally asked why, and his answer was "that's what I'm good at".

I shot an 84, he shot 71...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I can work the ball both ways. Nice hooks into hazards and slices to even out my round. I can do these at will... And without a thought. I'm an equal opportunity bad Golfer...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Nope, nor do I try. Only worried about good contact now.

Driver - Cleveland Hi-Bore 10.5   (TaylorMade M1 10.5 on the way)

3 Wood - Currently looking

Hybrid - 913H 17* 21*

Irons - 714 AP1 5-AW

Wedges - Miura 53*, 58*

Putter - Peritti

I don't know about the "work the ball" phrase (always sounded weird to me), but I do like to shape shots to suit the target.

Not just left/right, but I think high/low as well.

Does it always work? Hell no. Probably costs me a few strokes a round, but it's part of what I enjoy.

I did play with an older guy yesterday who was surprisingly good. He only hit a draw. I finally asked why, and his answer was "that's what I'm good at".

I shot an 84, he shot 71...

I think I am like you,  I try to shape the ball some when I am on the course and often I am not successful.  I need to just stick to my normal shot shape.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Been reading various posts this morning both old and new. I still hear guys discussing how they "work" the ball. And many times it's from a higher Hcp. player. No offence... just saying. Again, I'm kind of calling BS on that claim from most guys. You know who you are. LOL. Now I'm also not saying some of you aren't able to "work" the ball. I know a couple of very good players/friends that actually can produce a certain shot shape (work the ball) on demand. I'm just not one of them because I'm not in the Very Good Player category. Working the ball is a cool sounding phrase to toss about when describing one's game. "Hey Plaid you can sure Work the ball". No I can't... well rarely anyway. I normally play a slight draw these days. If need be I can hit more or less draw but that's about it. In fact I can hardly cut or fade the ball anymore. Further, I don't believe that many Tour Pros can "work the ball" either. Just watch them next time they're on TV.

My PJ... you sure went digging for this thread.  I had a shot yesterday where I just missed the fairway by a little; not much, but I had to hit a slight draw around a tree to head toward the green.  My typical shot is fairly straight, maybe a slight fade.  I am just not that good hitting a draw with my Ping i20's; fades yes, draws no.  It's what I miss not having my MacGregors with me on this trip.  I may not be able to hit the exact draw I need for a shot with them, but I can hit them right-to-left somewhat.  Fades are always easy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Been reading various posts this morning both old and new. I still hear guys discussing how they "work" the ball. And many times it's from a higher Hcp. player. No offence... just saying. Again, I'm kind of calling BS on that claim from most guys. You know who you are. LOL. Now I'm also not saying some of you aren't able to "work" the ball. I know a couple of very good players/friends that actually can produce a certain shot shape (work the ball) on demand. I'm just not one of them because I'm not in the Very Good Player category. Working the ball is a cool sounding phrase to toss about when describing one's game. "Hey Plaid you can sure Work the ball". No I can't... well rarely anyway. I normally play a slight draw these days. If need be I can hit more or less draw but that's about it. In fact I can hardly cut or fade the ball anymore. Further, I don't believe that many Tour Pros can "work the ball" either. Just watch them next time they're on TV.

I think that most touring pros can work the ball just fine. The question is can they under pressure at a key moment in a tournament. On the driving range they are hitting any shot that you dial up for them,

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My first golf instructor believed participating in philosophical debate about the game had the potential to make you into a better player. During range sessions he would pose questions that had nothing to do with the bio-mechanics of my golf swing. One of his questions, "Does the ball work for you or do you work for the ball?". I quickly quipped, "The ball works for me". His wise reply, "Maybe someday, BK". At that point in my development I was 16 with 2 years of serious practice under my belt, hitting 16 greens a round, grinding to break 80 and instantly cognizant of how much I had showed my ass by thoughtlessly contending that the ball worked for me.

I would come to learn the only people honestly claiming the ball works for them can then immediately reproduce the Johnny Miller shot control grid (low-mid-high: fade, straight, draw) dead solid perfect, over and over again. And almost nobody can honestly claim it. Bubba Watson is virtually the only modern player that does it day in and day out. That is said begrudgingly because I don't particularly care for the guy. Even on tour, most of those cats play will not fight whatever they are "working" with on tournament days. The majority of PGA Tour players have developed square path to plane swings with the goal of imparting zero side spin. Let's take a step back and ponder why the most athletically gifted golfers in the world after a lifetime of specific hand-eye development are just hoping to hit the ball straight? The answer is simple. Mere mortals that juggle modern time constraints and concurrently possess the quiet mind, natural ability, earned experience and supreme target commitment required to truly claim they have the ball working for them, are enigmas.

Technological innovations in golf equipment have given us many things for which to be thankful. As some of the other posters in this thread have correctly alluded, the ability to "work the ball" is not one of them. Game improvement product innovations have turned the clanky, weak, wiped, right, high toe miss off a traditional forged blade and turned it into a geared, hollow, cast, paint filled, expertly marketed high draw. The result is multitude of golfers with no idea how uncomfortably close to the hosel the true sweet spot actually resides. It is futile to think you can mush an auto-corrected toe draw out there time after time and then expect striking the same club in the same spot on the toe would ever produce a solid fade. So unless you're collecting the ball in the center of the face, every single time, the ball will never truly work for you. Because if the ball is not struck solidly you have no control over trajectory, which translates into little control over distance and that's before we ever get into turning it left or right on command.

When I started this reply I had no intention of writing the preceding but the more I thought about my answer the more it seemed necessary. And for those of you who actually took the time to read through all this, I wish I had a better personal answer to share. But all I can honestly claim are good reasons for rarely teeing it up in the middle of the box and painful awareness that less than perfect lies on the rest of the golf course are very unforgiving when it comes to creativity.

So I don't want to thread jack, but the more pertinent question for most golfers is "Do you work your equipment or does your equipment work you?" or perhaps more poignantly phrased "What is your equipment hiding?"

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I work the ball.....usually in the opposite direction of where I'm intending.

Dammit you bet me to it.......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I like to stick with my stock shot. I suck at fades so I don't try them. The most you'll see me do is probably hit a lower ball flight into wind but it'll almost always have at least a little right to left movement if I struck it well.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I have a 30 yard fade I can work around a dogleg to the right. But, if the hole is straight I'm in trouble. Wait, my friend just told me that's a slice. My bad!

I am learning to follow through and this past Sunday I had a few straight drives with a couple of those pulled to the left. I was happy with my progress.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My go to is a right to left shot, however like some people already stated it really depends on the day whether I can move it both ways. If I feel I can hit it both ways I will play the round working the ball. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

If I have to. But straight is cooler.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Actually, I do shape most shots, as it is hard to actually hit a ball straight.

It's easier to hit a controlled fade, than a draw, for me. But the draw will go a little longer.

It seems like most tee shots require a little turn one way or another don't they?

Turning the ball isn't that hard. I basically open or close the face a bit to the target, then align my feet to the clear shot, and let it rip

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

My typical and go to shot is right to left.  Can I move the ball left to right, you betcha.  Can I do it when I want, most of the time, can I do it under pressure, not as much.  And to go along with it, I cannot move the ball with every club.  No way am I hitting a cut with a wedge, just not going to happen.  My longer clubs are easier to move either direction. The left to right is played only when needed.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Always work the ball.My natural shot is a right to left hard draw.But I can also work the Ball easily from left to right .Im a highly skilled and gifted natural golfer with superb coordination.Feel bad for everyone that slices.A slice is really a sign that things are very very bad

Good lord, I'm just happy when the balls goes straight, where I aimed it.  Working it?  You must be kidding.  I have a natural push/fade anyways, so you can be damned certain that if I line up expecting that push/fade, the ball is going straight or duck hook left. About the only working the ball I do is when flirting with the cart girl :)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Archived