Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Let's be honest. Do you really "work" the Ball?

PlaidJacket

I've spent a lot of time on the range alternating fade/draw/fade/draw. My control with a fade is much better than a draw hence why it's my stock shot.

High/low is a piece of cake to me. I play a lot of rounds in windy conditions so I've been forced to learn that trajectory control.

Back to Plaid's original question, Can I work the ball at will? No. Can I work the ball some? Yes. Just like any shot in my bag, I have a decent idea of what I want to happen and what is going to happen but my desired shot doesn't always happen.

I'd be willing to bet there's tour players who can't even work the ball at will. Just like hitting it long, workability isn't everything but it's a nice tool to have.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I know every player on tour can work the ball. They wouldn't be there if they couldn't. Even in the most benign of tournaments the pins are hidden in places we'd be upset about. They still figure out how to find them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a perfect "work the ball" moment yesterday, it was a short Par 3 133-135 yards. The pin was back right, the safe play would have been to aim for the middle, nah... aimed for the middle with a 2 yard high cut, it did exactly what I told it to. And I am glad because the sand in front was terrifying, and so was the rest of the misses. But I trusted my line, and ended up with a 7' birdie putt that I missed.

I also had a back left pin with a 6 iron in. Soaring high draw that stopped on a dime.

- Alan

Yesterday when playing a dog leg right par 4, a little under 200 yards to the point where the fairway bends. Normally all I can play is right to left and rarely hit it dead straight. Set up for a left to right shot and boom! Bent right around with the fairway and only had a wedge instead of a usual 8 or 9 iron out of the rough because I ran it through the fairway. I can't do it every single time, but I know if I make a committed swing, I have a chance of working the ball

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

As a 5 I can say there are days where I work it well. The reason I am still a 5 is that more often than not, the ball works me.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Yup, left hooks and right slices, sometime working it straight into the ground

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I let the wind and slopes move my shots. I aim away from trouble with a generous allowance for a shot to be off right or left. If I'm behind a tree and have a shot, I'll try to work it with adjustments to face angle and stance. On the tee, never.

Had a perfect "work the ball" moment yesterday, it was a short Par 3 133-135 yards. The pin was back right, the safe play would have been to aim for the middle, nah... aimed for the middle with a 2 yard high cut, it did exactly what I told it to. And I am glad because the sand in front was terrifying, and so was the rest of the misses. But I trusted my line, and ended up with a 7' birdie putt that I missed.

attachicon.gifIMG_1699.JPG

I also had a back left pin with a 6 iron in. Soaring high draw that stopped on a dime.

- Alan

how'd you get that look on the picture? It's really good.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

If anyone has questions about the picture please pm me. Let's get Plaid's thread back on track. Thanks!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I successfully played a cut when I needed to today, pretty exciting for me, because I'm not really someone who shapes shots intentionally, mostly just play the fade that I naturally had. Like I mentioned in the how'd you play thread, I played at http://royalhawaiiangc.com/course-layout/ today, which is target golf for the most part. Not very fun to play your third round of 18 in 6+ years, but at least I'm playing again. Anyways, hole #14 I laid up because the wind was blasting back at us ~20 mph. The right side of the ravine had some shrubs sticking up, and the 2nd part of the fairway is a slight dog leg right, so I couldn't go straight at it. Opened my stance up a little to target, and thought "cut" and it worked! Low cut with my 3w to about 50 yards out.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I'm not exactly sure if I "work" the ball, but I certainly "work-out" trying to find my ball!

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

attachicon.gifIMG_1699.JPG

- Alan

Awesome picture - I would never have aimed at the right pin even when I was a 1. The back left pin would be fine because that's my comfortable shot shape.

I know that you play by yourself a lot. IMO this is a downfall to that. No one is around to see the results is a miss when you try something crazy.

If you want to take your game to the next level it would be best to find a way to play some competitive golf. It sharpens the mind and thus the game.

Earlier a poster made the comment that he wasn't sure that touring pros can work the ball. On the range or in a casual round they all can work the ball. If you say to Brittany Lincicome hit a fade to that pin while on the range she will do it. She'd fire her caddy in a heartbeat if that shot were suggested in a competitive round other than back nine down two strokes.

Plaid's original premise was the most of us can't work the ball. I would add that for most of us it's wiser not to. Have a go to shot and stick with it. The modern ball is more difficult to work. It's better to learn to hit it straight or with a little draw or fade and just fit that shape into the shot that lies ahead.

Over thinking on the course costs strokes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Awesome picture - I would never have aimed at the right pin even when I was a 1. The back left pin would be fine because that's my comfortable shot shape.

I know that you play by yourself a lot. IMO this is a downfall to that. No one is around to see the results is a miss when you try something crazy.

If you want to take your game to the next level it would be best to find a way to play some competitive golf. It sharpens the mind and thus the game.

Earlier a poster made the comment that he wasn't sure that touring pros can work the ball. On the range or in a casual round they all can work the ball. If you say to Brittany Lincicome hit a fade to that pin while on the range she will do it. She'd fire her caddy in a heartbeat if that shot were suggested in a competitive round other than back nine down two strokes.

Plaid's original premise was the most of us can't work the ball. I would add that for most of us it's wiser not to. Have a go to shot and stick with it. The modern ball is more difficult to work. It's better to learn to hit it straight or with a little draw or fade and just fit that shape into the shot that lies ahead.

Over thinking on the course costs strokes.

Thanks Rev!

Had my dad with me for this round. My stock shot is that little fade, sometimes I tend to over cook it. The draw was more impressive to me, but I didn't take a picture of that hole. That course set up perfectly for me, I could hit the cut all day off the tee. But I have been working on shaping the ball for fun.

For example I had a stock 7 iron into #2, but I chose to hit a little 2 yard draw 5 iron head high ball in there because there was a little slope that would bring the ball back toward the hole, it worked. Set me up for a birdie at anoint 12-14' that I missed. The 7 iron might have got me closer but it might have came off the front of the green as it sloped at me.

I need more courses like that one near me. The challenge was the best part. "Having" to turn a corner and not cut the corner was fun.

- Alan

I can work the ball a lot. Big draws, big cuts, those I can do. Working it a little is much more difficult!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Caveat to the above post- I also can't really tell you where it will start and where it will finish on the big moves. I just know it's going to go sideways

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

• 6 months later...

Took me forever to find and dredge up this old post. Surprisingly the last post was back in July 2017 by gaussman1. What got me to thinking about this again, this morning; was a couple of posts I'd read recently where a high handicapper (15-18) were describing about how they "work the ball" talking about hitting shots on demand and as called for presumably. I'm a fairly low HCP'r with a 4-5 most months and I can't work the ball that successfully. I just don't practice shot making often enough. So when it's required to ideally "work" the ball either right or left I'm kind of hoping for best luck. My natural shot shape is a draw. So for me when I have to hit a fade or slice around trouble I find it challenging to say the least. Sometimes I pull it off and many times it's failure. So, I cannot say I work the ball. Certainly not skillfully. So once again I'm asking if you are skilled enough at your level of profencey to "work" the ball on demand and with confidence. I'm talking about a pin cut on the right side and instead of hitting your stock draw you instead hit a high fade. Or visa versa.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Myself I can kinda work it within my natural shot shape. Meaning I can hit slight fades to slices when needed. I can't draw it on command yet but I keep trying lol.

I think higher handicaps might misunderstand working the ball as their natural shot going where they want it to go. I could be wrong lol

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Since I've been a member here I've read a lot of stuff. Good stuff mostly. However, I read lots of guys stating that they "work" the ball. I see this stated often when reading about equipment, balls, swings, etc. I have found in my lengthy career that there are really very few amateurs that can work the ball at will. By that I mean.... left, right, high, low, etc. I can't work the ball at will. I can however play a higher or lower shot. But my stock shot is a fade draw*. I can on occasion fade the ball low and out of a trouble situation but even that is a crap shoot it seems. I have no idea what the average handicap is for MGS members but I'd guess it's around a 15. My question is this....

When you're out playing a round and a hole requires a draw or a fade or even straight; do you intentionally play the shot shape? Can you really do that? Be honest.

EDIT: *I now draw the ball mostly. For the past year and 1/2 been talking lessons/coaching.

So I've been playing for ~2 years but I've been playing and practicing a hell of a lot.  My stock shot is high fade. I can hit a punch shot without a problem, and even a 'stinger' whenever I need to go between trees, i can 'slice' on target too if I need to go around stuff. I can't hit a draw. I mean I can, but its inconsistent and usually doesn't give me any advantage from my point of view. But I guess I'm not good enough yet for it.

In all honesty.... no, I can't work the ball. I can hit a fade/power fade with the driver, which a lot of times ends up an outright slice.

My normal/natural shot shape used to be a nice little draw with everything except wedges. I've dropped 30 lbs. over the last few years and my little draw has gone away. I wish I could find it again! I've tried unsuccessfully to hit a draw on purpose, but that almost always ends up being a very big hook. 

I just try to hit where I want it to go these days, which is challenging enough.

Myself I can kinda work it within my natural shot shape. Meaning I can hit slight fades to slices when needed. I can't draw it on command yet but I keep trying lol.

I think higher handicaps might misunderstand working the ball as their natural shot going where they want it to go. I could be wrong lol

I agree somewhat. I can "work" my draw into a hard draw or hook if I need to but the fade gets to me. I just need to practice it until I "get" it. I know I can.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Some days I go from my draw to a fade. They say it's easier to work the ball with longer irons I pretty much only work the ball with my wedges or 9i. I sometimes I cannot work it but sometimes I can. It's not often that I do most of the time I just play for draw

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Like Tazz alluded to.....

What does "working the ball" mean to you?

My natural shot shape is a fade and I rarely hit a straight ball. Without my ability to hit the ball straight, I started working at the range to hit a draw. At this point, I can fairly reliably hit a draw, but I still lack the skill to accurately draw the ball (i.e. I don't know if the ball is going to draw 5 yards or 20 yards). Due to this, I typically only draw the ball on the course when I absolutely have to. Every range session, or warm up before a round, I do spend time jumping between shot shapes to let myself know that I can call on the shot if needed. So can I work the ball? I would say yes, but am I proficient at it? No.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Normally I hit the ball straight to a slight fade. If I try real hard I can hit a draw but I can't do it every time, so I can't really work the ball on command, but I can eliminate one side of the course which makes the game easier to play.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I don't presume to say I work the ball, I can hit a fade and I can hit a draw. The problem with working the ball on command is that it's very difficult to truly work the ball as intended with cavity back irons. My shot shape is normally draw, so I just play that. I will only purposely hit a fade when I absolutely have to, the only other time I hit a fade is when my swing is off. Since I don't play all the time, and can't practice all the time, one of the club pros I would talk to told me to play the game that you have that day. If it's a fade, play it, if it's a draw, play it. We really aren't good enough to “work” the ball each time we go out, so we need to find a shot shape that works for us, and play that until you have to do something different. Tom Lehman was a perfect example, he always 99.9% of the time hit a draw. The other .01% was a straight ball that he tried to fade.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived