Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping G30 STILL killing it in sales

JBones

G30.jpg

The Ping G30 driver is continuing to blow the competition out of the water, in sales.  It has been the top selling driver of 2015 for three straight months.  

In April, the busiest month of the year for driver sales, the PING G30 driver increased its industry-leading market shares in units (13.95%, up 6%) and dollars (18.56%, up 6%) in the on- and off-course retail channels, according to Golf Datatech LLC, which tracks golf equipment sell-thru data for the United States. 

Known for its Turbulator Technology and unmatched forgiveness, the G30 driver sold 56% more units in April than the next-closest model. It marked the third consecutive month the G30 driver was #1 in units and the second-straight month it ranked #1 in revenue share. For the months of January through April combined, the G30 driver was #1 in units and dollars, with shares of 12.30% and 16.47%, respectively. Over the nine months since its introduction in July last year, it's been the top-selling driver model in units (10.27%) and revenue (14.64%).

Apparently Ping is on to something with these "turbulators"; who'd have thunk it, put speed bumps on a driver crown and the golfing world goes crazy over it. I have hit a stock LS Tech and I can tell you it is LONG and forgiving.  It was no mistake that the G30 was featured in the 2014 MGS Gift Guide.

What have you experienced with the G30?.

Was not a fan of the G30. Shaft I tried with it was a horrible for for me but still didn't like it. I need to try the LS tech. I think I would like it more.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Really liked this head last fall when I hit it. Hit it with their stock tour shaft and was very impressed. I prefer the LS head. Only thing is that I wish they had an 8* head and that's why I don't have one in the bag at this moment.

I know plenty of folks who play this head and love it.

Looking back, I just realized I've always been a pretty big Ping driver fan. First one I ever played was a Ping Zing 2. Great driver!

• 3 weeks later...

Switched to a Ping G30 LS Tech last month from the SLDR.

I love the transition so far! Much more forgiving. Better trajectory. More consistent ball flight and ironically lower spin than the SLDR.

I have the 9* head with the Tour 65g shaft in S flex. Absolutely love the feel of this shaft. I gamed the TP shaft in the SLDR and it's no comparison for me.

The biggest difference is the feel between these  two clubheads. It feels like you're hitting the ball with a dull, lifeless head when gaming the SLDR (happens when you miss the sweet spot a lot. Like I tend to do) whereas the G30 is on another level of feel and forgiveness.

Every aspect of this club has blown be away so far! No wonder this guy is killing the sales charts. One thing that would be pretty amazing is for Ping to breakdown the percentages sold of the line. I'd really like to see the split on the driver.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• 2 weeks later...

I hated the G30 funnily enough and thought it was nowhere as near forgiving as the G25.  I hooked the SF Tech so far left it finished right, hit the LS tech so low and short there was no description for it.  The straight nothing tech G30 was really nothing special in my untalented mitts.  I wanted it to be different but no matter how I tried it just wouldn't work for me.  I have friends however who love it!

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

^^^ Case in point on how every person and every swing is different...

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

hit just about every new driver on the market back in april on a simulator at GolfSmith.  Numbers wise, the Cobra Fly-Z+ killed everything, but when I purchasd one and took it to the course it sounded dead and went nowhere...not sure if I got a dead club or if the simulator was misleading.  I ended up returning the Cobra for a full refund and picked up the G30 LS with standard shaft...love this club.  The sound and feel are just perfection, and for a "low spin" driver it sure is forgiving.  Only thing I am not a fant of is the stock 45.75" shaft...way too long for me so I usually choke down by a half inch.  have considered getting the shaft shortened to 45.25", but I dont have much experience with this and am unsure if it will affect the club's performance?  Also considering just buying a new shaft at my desired length

What's in my Ben Hogan stand bag:
Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 665 stiff shaft
Tour Edge XCG7 #3 Wood, Stiff shaft
Ping i20 20* hybrid, stiff shaft
Ping S56 irons 4-PW KBS stiff shafts
Ping Glide Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58*, SS Bounce
Nike Method Putter Model #004
Callaway Chrome Soft balls

Turbulators,   Lexus is using them on their cars for better airflow.  Most prevelent ones are on the sides of the rear taillights, take a look.   There must be something to them. 

Roho,

The Vortex Generators (Toyota/Lexus term) that you're referring to actually started with the 2012 Camry. Being in Toyota sales I know the whole story on these puppies. They are designed to increase aerodynamics, and one of the big influences is from F1 Racing. Apparently they would cover the entire vehicle in these fins and find the hot spots for optimal air flow around the car. I'm sitting in a showroom next to a 2015 Toyota Rav4 that has them in front of the mirrors and on the taillights.

They definitely work!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Tried it and it didn't work for me. I had the standard with a PX LZ

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Roho,

No problem man!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Just received my G30 irons. Took on the range, felt great. Hopefully this week I can see how they are on course.

I'm off this weekend if you want to play

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Was bored so I went to the PGASS today to kill an hour... big mistake- snagged one of these bad boys.

Nice! LS or regular?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Excited to read this! Gaming the same club myself! Which shaft? I went with the 65G Tour shaft in S. Love the feel!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Archived