TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maruman Driver

Well it is only an opinion after all, but here goes....

Maruman drivers offer nothing out of the ordinary in terms of forgiveness and distance compared to any other driver available at the moment. That includes every driver in their current range, which can reach up to and above of $1800. That seems like a pretty eye-watering proposal if you want to buy a driver for everyday use, especially when you consider the zero advantage compared to any other driver.

For those wealthy enough (and stupid enough?) to part with that much money for a single club it may have some sort of appeal - that may well include older golfers with more disposable income, or just the clinically insane. Either way, it is rather a niche brand from Japan with the same ritual cult following of those who aspire to seek some sort of admiration from their peers for whatever reason, or are convinced that cost is a reflection of performance - which as we all know it is not.

I dare say there are a few people out there who claim that Maruman drivers are the best they've ever tried too, but by the same token there are also a few people out there who claim that a pogo stick is the best form of transport for commuting to work. In which case it is probably best to try each for yourself to see if these claims stack up. 

I played Maruman when they were actually made from wood. 

If you post a topic on an open forum asking for opinions - don't be surprised if you don't actually agree with any of them. People have the freedom to post such opinions, just as you have the freedom to buy whatever you like. Whether or not your choice is influenced by any opinions is also entirely up to you.

Personally I don't get my pants in a twist if someone says something about an inanimate piece of equipment. On the contrary, I much prefer any piece of equipment to stand the test of any criticism - if it does that, then you know it's worth trying. If you want to try out something based on heresay, rumour and anecdotes, then yes - you're stupid.

• 1 month later...

Archived