Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Pride New Decade MCCPlus4 - A NEW New Decade

• SPY VIP

Golf Pride New Decade MCCPlus4

Golf Pride ND MC4-13.jpg

http://www.golfpride.com/grips/mccplus4/

A Softer, Larger New Decade MultiCompound

I've made it no secret that I love Golf Pride's NDMC. I professed my admiration for them last year in this article about re-gripping. I have some other favorite grips as well, but them pesky little NDMCs just keep finding their way onto the ends of my clubs.

To be fair, "New New Decades" as been more of an aesthetic descriptor during the past few product cycles as the NDMC has not changed a whole lot over the past few years. We've had more colors, the white-outs, and the visually awesome platinum versions last year. Really though, I was totally happy with the cosmetic changes. I love the grip, and welcomed more aesthetic options, though my white/purple version of the white-out has not yet materialized...

Golf Pride ND MC4-01.jpg

This year's New Decade is in fact very new. At a glance, you do see the typical two-tone pattern that we associate with the NDMC. But when you look a little closer, you really see that we are getting more than a new look. Here's what has changed in the New Decade MCCPlus4.

Golf Pride ND MC4-06.jpg

New Materials

Golf Pride ND MC4-07.jpg

Both the upper cotton cord containing compound and the lower rubber section are made of softer materials this year. Though I am still in the early stage of evaluating the “improved performance” that Golf Pride says the material provides, I will say that the grips are definitely softer than prior New Decades. The lower section is especially soft.

New Textures

Golf Pride ND MC4-11.jpg

Golf Pride ND MC4-12.jpg

Both the upper and lower sections feature new textures. You may not notice this at first as the grips do still look like their NDMC kin. However when you put them side-by-side you see the differences. The MCCPlus4 has the new Micro-Texture regions that according, to Golf Pride, promotes the following:

·      Engineered for softer feel and strategically placed for high traction.

·      A soft micro-texture increases traction and comfort.

·      Texture placement is ideal for maximum hand coverage.

New Larger Lower Hand

MC4 Multi.jpg

In addition to being softer, the lower hand of the MCCPlus4 is larger than prior NDMCs. The name MCCPlus4 actually comes from the fact that this new lower section is about four wraps of tape larger. Golf Pride says that this should promote lighter grip pressure and increased swing speed.

Playing the MCCPlus4

As one who could use a few more MPH in the swing, I welcome that possibility. What I have really found welcoming though is the fit of that right hand. Based upon my last fitting, I should be using +4 wraps/midsized grips. These grey NDMCCPlus4 grips are the midsized version. That means that there is now the equivalent of 4 wraps under my left hand, and 8 wraps under my right hand!

Golf Pride ND MC4-08.jpg

Golf Pride ND MC4-09.jpg

Now I didn't just dive right into the MCCPlus4s. I was a bit concerned about boosting that right hand to that level. I started by putting the MCCPlus4s on my 60° and 56° wedges. (Of course those are Nike wedges, ). Well after about three holes, I knew that I had to do the rest of the set with the MCCPlus4s.

I find the size to fit my hands perfectly, and the softness has actually improved my touch on short wedge shots. I thought this would suffer when I moved away from the firmer grip. Not so. My hands also seem to be holding up a bit better to long rounds and range sessions.

My New New Decades

Golf Pride ND MC4-10.jpg

Once again I am hooked by Golf Pride's New Decades. Normally, I'd play-test these more before writing anything up to share with all of you. I'm rushing to judgement a bit here because I can tell right away that these are different, and I want to catch you before you regrip for the season.

It's true that I've only played 2-3 rounds with the MCCPlus4s on my irons and wedges now but I have the strong feeling that these may have wrecked me for other grips. Finding the grip that works is not a bad thing, but I sort of find pleasure in the hunt. I may be done hunting with the MCCPlus4s. My only real gripe is that they only come in one color for midsized. If these come out in purple, I may be buying these by the gross.

Grip up a couple of wedges and check these out. They are softer, built up differently, and feature new texture. These New Decades definitely have some new in them this year.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Pretty sweet grip! 

Twitter: @EdmundCruz 

@ChiGolfAth 

What's In The Bag:

Driver:  Tour Edge Golf EX9 10 degrees, UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL Stiff Flex
Hybrid:  Tour Edge Golf Exotics EX9 #3 Hybrid, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4 Stiff Flex
Irons:
:benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15 Irons, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Wedges:
:benhogan-small: TK 15 Wedges, 51, 55, 59. KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Putter: Buzelli Golf STA-1, Standard Loft/Lie
Ball:  Snell Golf My Tour Ball 

I used to HATE NDMC grips.  The feel annoyed me, they got slick, just not for me...however I do love these new ones.  I got an AD DI shaft for my driver that had one of these installed on it.  I almost immediately cut it off and re-gripped it, and if I had a driver grip lying around I would have, but very glad I didn't.   I echo everything GS Dave had to say! 

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Archived