Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Hardest Part of the Game to Maintain w/o Practice

dru_

As I've mentioned, my time to play and practice golf this season is really limited due to other time commitments. Instead of getting one/two practice sessions per week, I am basically getting a little chipping work in for about 15 minutes during the week, and 2-3 rounds per month in on the weekends. 

The result, my game is in the loo. I'm getting of the tee pretty consistently, and anything outside of 120yards is more or less alright.  Inside of that though, things have gotten ugly.  I simply have no feel or touch with anything less than a full swing right now. Putting isn't really a problem, with inside of 10 feet being very high percentage, and I can usually get into gimme range from outside of 10 feet. In other words, not many 3 putts. 

The problem is those partial shots for me, and I just can't seem to find any sorts of off the course drills that really help me find that feel and touch.

Needless to say, I would posit that the aspect of the game that is the hardest to maintain without consistent practice is the partial swing up and down aspect of the short game.  I know a lot of people place an emphasis on putting though.

So what are your thoughts?  what part of the game is hardest to maintain when you can't practice as often as you like ?

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Short game and partial/touch shots. Always the first to go and last to come back.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

After a long layoff, managing different swing between driver and irons. Hands down.

by that I mean. hitting up vs down. If it's been awhile I will either hit my driver really well and be spastic with irons or vice versa.

I don't practice at a range, should throw that in. Most of my practice is on the course. I might hit 30 balls before I start, focusing on shot shapes to work on alignment and forearm rotation.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Short game and partial/touch shots. Always the first to go and last to come back.

Same here.  The full shot is my friend right now.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I'd be curious if this a bit of a handicap influenced question.

As a high capper, I find the tee shot to be what I struggle with if I'm not practicing it regularly. This is probably because my muscle memory isn't fully developed and it's easy to lose the rhythm. By comparison, my short game is reasonably strong. I have a consistent swing with the short sticks. So, even if my touch is off due to rust, I'm still striking the ball well.

Dunno. For me, it's 100% the driver off the tee.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I'd be curious if this a bit of a handicap influenced question.

As a high capper, I find the tee shot to be what I struggle with if I'm not practicing it regularly. This is probably because my muscle memory isn't fully developed and it's easy to lose the rhythm. By comparison, my short game is reasonably strong. I have a consistent swing with the short sticks. So, even if my touch is off due to rust, I'm still striking the ball well.

Dunno. For me, it's 100% the driver off the tee.

I think that there is something to the handicap question, but more to do with the areas of strength in your game.  I drive the ball well and have a ton of confidence off the tee so that seems to not be an issue with me, but short game comes and goes when I don't play/practice a lot.  I have a friend that also plays off of scratch and the first to go for him is the long game and can get up and down from anywhere no matter how much he plays or does not play.

The handicap area comes in with game management as I see it.  I know that I will not be able to execute a 60 yard flip wedge if I am rusty so I leave myself 100 yards for a full shot.  Being a low handicap player I can manage that part of my game as well as be able to execute that strategy around the golf course.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Definitely chipping and short pitch shots.  When I was traveling a lot, I was gone for 2 weeks.  When I returned, I actually had no problem with the driver.  If fact, I would say I hit better tee shots for the first round after a trip; I really don't know why.  However, the chipping was horrible, but that has always been the worse part of my game.  I have to constantly work on it.  Putting is OK, but it takes awhile to start making putts; lots of 2-putts; rarely 3-putt.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Definitely chipping and short pitch shots.  When I was traveling a lot, I was gone for 2 weeks.  When I returned, I actually had no problem with the driver.  If fact, I would say I hit better tee shots for the first round after a trip; I really don't know why.  However, the chipping was horrible, but that has always been the worse part of my game.  I have to constantly work on it.  Putting is OK, but it takes awhile to start making putts; lots of 2-putts; rarely 3-putt.

Possibly you were fresh? Only thing I could think of. I know that the first day back on the mound after a short break generally meant I was throwing cheddah. May not have a clue on my breaking stuff or location but it was gonna be moving lol

Possibly you were fresh? Only thing I could think of. I know that the first day back on the mound after a short break generally meant I was throwing cheddah. May not have a clue on my breaking stuff or location but it was gonna be moving lol

How did we get on baseball? lol

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

The whole game of golf is played inside of 130 yards... That's why there is such a great emphasis. Just reiterating what everyone else is saying. Knocking down the flagstick in this "scoring zone" is what separates the good players from the decent ones.

For me I have to agree with Undershooter. It can be extremely hard for a feel player like me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yep, touch and feel shots are the ones that I struggle with after a lay off.  The only shot I have 100% down and can hit perfectly any time is the bladed wedge.  I'm probably most adept at it from about 50 yards in :mad:

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Yep, touch and feel shots are the ones that I struggle with after a lay off.  The only shot I have 100% down and can hit perfectly any time is the bladed wedge.  I'm probably most adept at it from about 50 yards in :mad:

Yep! Those are great shots. I find that they really only work out if you hit the pin.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A few weeks ago I was playing a par 4 and blocked a drive way left. I had a 68 yard second shot from the rough. Knifed the heck out of it. Easily headed 50 yards over the back of the green which was a guaranteed double with water behind the green. Hit the flagstick seemingly bending it in half and ricocheted straight left to the fringe about 30 feet away. Luckiest par I've ever made.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

All this talk of short game troubles, had me stressing. Had to go the 9 hole par 3 course here in town. Things are looking good.

Shot 4 over. Looks like I need to stop playing to improve my short game hahah.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

How did we get on baseball? lol

I was just making the point that he was possibly more flexible and had more clubhead speed when he was coming off a break. Sorry but baseball was the only sport I could do that with but that's where most of my experience lies. I can compare most things to baseball so don't get me started.

Back to the point, short game is where it's at if you want to score. Unless you are Tiger and can't get off the box.

After moving, I don't have my golf room or backyard driving range to practice in anymore. And I've only played 28 holes in the last 8 or nine months I think with no trips to the range. My irons and short game used to be the best part of my game. Putting has always been weak. Driving used to be my biggest weakness. Now my driving has never been better. Straight down the middle. While my control is great, distance is much less. I think that's from losing the flexibility and conditioning I had when swinging all the time. Occasional miss is a pull draw when I come around with my shoulders too much. Irons aren't as solid as they used to be, but not terrible. Wedges have gone downhill for sure and putting is not there, worse than last year.

I'm with the majority as to short game.  Even if the rest of my game is rusty and problematic, when I really blow up on a hole, it's generally going to be from 60 yards and in.

Bunker shots, in particular can kill my score if I'm rusty.  I'm not all that good at bunker play, although I can usually get out of it, I can't really get it near the hole.  Yesterday I went from a front bunker, to a side bunker, to the edge of the green near the other bunker... My drive was great and my second shot "almost" cleared the front bunker.  3 over on the final hole of the day...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

For me it's just overall control of the ball. My striking will usually be decent but being able to control where the golf ball starts and the direction is hard to impossible with a long layoff

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I love the topic!

Consistency - When I'm on people will tell you that my game is boring, fairway, green or around the green, up, in, par next hole repeat.  When I'm playing/practicing enough and my game gets locked in my handicap card gets very tight between 72-76.  But when I'm not, like now, I'm all over the place - my last 10 rounds range from 85-74.  There's nothing boring about my game right now, that's for sure.

So for me its consistency through the bag, I just don't know what's going to happen one swing to the next, one day to the next, one hole to the next. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I love the topic!

Consistency - When I'm on people will tell you that my game is boring, fairway, green or around the green, up, in, par next hole repeat. When I'm playing/practicing enough and my game gets locked in my handicap card gets very tight between 72-76. But when I'm not, like now, I'm all over the place - my last 10 rounds range from 85-74. There's nothing boring about my game right now, that's for sure.

So for me its consistency through the bag, I just don't know what's going to happen one swing to the next, one day to the next, one hole to the next.

We have very different games rev. Even though my handicap is around 0 I can go out and shoot 68-82. Never know what it's gonna do.

For me it's just overall control of the ball. My striking will usually be decent but being able to control where the golf ball starts and the direction is hard to impossible with a long layoff

Decent ball striking means control. You don't have one without the other. A ball flying in the wrong direction is not a good strike.

I am absolutely useless inside 75 yard if I have not practiced a whole lot in the very recent past (at least twice a week for the last month).

But give me 15 minutes at the range before a round and I can hit the full shots at least reasonably well, even after going for months without picking up a club.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I am absolutely useless inside 75 yard if I have not practiced a whole lot in the very recent past (at least twice a week for the last month).

But give me 15 minutes at the range before a round and I can hit the full shots at least reasonably well, even after going for months without picking up a club.

Getting warmed up on the range prior to playing makes a big difference in how I score.  Unfortunately, there's a lot of small town muni's around here that don't have a range, and even on of the "major" muni's I used to play has lost their range during reconstruction.  No matter how well I can loosen up before a round, the first few holes are tough, if I haven't had some range time.  

Too many "swing thoughts" on the course, without range time.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

In order: irons/short game/driver/putting.

I usually can make some big putts no matter the layoff. Driver has been going strong out of two long breaks, so may have finally dialed it in to where it's the most consistent round to round club. My short game goes in and out but takes a few weeks to get back up to speed. However it takes me months to get back irons. That's the first thing that goes and I can't get back. No idea why, but I struggle with the rhythm, the setup, and the swing.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

For sure wedges, especially when you cant take a full swing, so anything 40-80 yards goes really quick if you're not keeping up on it. Driver seems to be fairly easy to keep on point, same with woods and hybrids. Long irons fall off pretty quickly for me also.

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20