TESTERS WANTED! ×

Jones Golf Bags

apprenti23

Those of you who are new to golf or I should say haven't been playing consistently for over twenty years may not have ever heard of Jones Golf Bags (http://www.jonesgolfbags.com)

image.jpg

My first golf bag was a Jones and I loved it! All we ever did was walk, carrying our bags back then. Very few people had stand bags, we didn't ride as often, and nobody really thought anything of laying your bag down, it's just what you did. Sometime in the mid to late 90's every golf bag was either deemed cart or stand and all stand bags had legs. It seemed as though Jones bags disappeared.

image.jpg

About ten years ago I played with a buddy who had a Mackenzie Walker bag and it kind of reminded me of the Jones. I picked one up, but it just collected dust. I eventually sold it as it was like having a Tesla in your garage but just looked at it. I recently came across a link for the revitalized Jones Golf Bags while on the forums and I just had to have one! Well two! I went with the Original Jones (duh) and the Player's Series.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I called them up, and they were extremely nice on the phone. Great customer service and made sure all of my needs were met before hanging up with them. I wasn't looking for custom bags, but wanted to get my name embroidered to ensure I'd never get rid of them. I have hoping tendencies and I've found if I get my name stamped or embroidered I'm guaranteed to keep it.

image.jpg

I kid you not, less than 48 hours later my golf bags were on their way to me! 7 days after placing my initial order over the phone and two boxes arrived at my doorstep.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is the initial unboxing of the Original Jones Bag:

You will notice it is fully collapsible and does not contain any internal support structures. Great for traveling!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Here is the initial unboxing of the Players Series Bag:

This bag does have an internal support structure.

image.jpg

The nylon used for these bags seems extremely durable! All of the zippers and buckles seem very heavy duty.

image.jpgimage.jpg

The quality of materials used for the price paid on these bags is awesome! could buy 6 of these bags for the cost of my one Mackenzie Walker bag!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The only meh thing about these bags is the shoulder strap for the Players Series. Granted I'm comparing it to the MW (Tesla vs Chevy Cavalier) but this strap feels quite cheap. The MW was a nice suede and this feels like pleather. I hope that it does not harm or stain any polos or apparel items.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I've only played one round with the Original Jones bag and I am quite happy. I play with 14 clubs and use a large SuperStroke putter grip and everything fits fine.

image.jpg

If you are a golfer who doesn't carry a million things in his bag, then this is the bag for you! In addition to a towel and laser, the most I'll carry is two gloves, 50 tees, a sharpie, and a dozen balls. I'm not a rain suit, fifteen gloves, fifty balls, and five hundred tees guy so this bag suits me well! If you still have old scorecards and pencils in your bag along with some piece of apparel clean your bag out! Your back will thank you later!

Original Jones:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Players Series:

image.jpg

Here's what it looks like with a full 14 clubs while on the course:

image.jpg

Awesome review -- been eyeing these for a while. Might be time to pull the trigger. Thanks for sharing!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice review.  Thanks for putting it up.  Haven't seen one of those in a long time.  I had a couple back in the 80's.  Nice bag to carry.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Thanks for the review.  I started out playing golf about 24 years ago carrying a bag.  It was fine until I switched to graphite shafts.  Most of the club weight is in the head, and I had a hard time getting the bag balance correct.  That was when I switched to cart bags.  Now I carry too much stuff!!!  I love the look, but don't think I could give up my drink and umbrella holder on my push cart.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just like I remember them from my high school days.  My school was too cheap to buy us bags, but the rich-kid schools all carried these.  Can't imagine these would do well on a push cart, and my carrying days are long since over.  Maybe my daughter will want one...

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Going to make the short drive up to the land of Beer & Cheese this Sunday. Taking my father and father in law to Erin Hills, site of the 2017 US Open. I'll be sure to try and snap some cool pics of the bag there. May even make one of them use my other bag instead of their Rodney Dangerfield styled cart bags!

I love the look of these - good point though Kenny, how balanced are these apprenti?

From what I remember of these. The more level to the ground you carry them the better they are. Been a long time though.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

• 2 weeks later...

Apprenti you're on a roll today. I've spent the past hour reviewing the Erin Hills website. We're def adding to our trip next fall. And now you've made another great post with the Jones bags. What do you eat for breakfast man?

I like the bags. They remind me of when I was growing up and learning the game. I like Retro stuff in general when it's done right. These bags appear to have nailed it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

These Jones bags make me wish I was young again!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'm just glad I'm finally able to get these bags dirty! It was funny as I don't know if my caddy had ever seen a golf bag without legs on it. I told him before we teed off not to be afraid to just drop it on the ground. These clubs are meant to take a beating, not be babied. After the round he told me he loved it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The bottom of the strap is adjustable so that you can balance it how you prefer... I'll have to snag some pics modeling the bag...

I know this is an old post, but in your overall opinion do you prefer the player or original. I'm especially interested in the strap quality of the original vs. the players!

David Challoner

Driver: Callaway EPIC, 8.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue 75 Max, X-Flex

Woods: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+, 16*, Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex

Iron Specs: Srixon U65 2i, Srixon 765 3i-6i, Srixon 965 7i-PW, Project X 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Dexterity: Right-Handed

HCP: 6.9

"Slow, Smooth, and Finish"

Archived