Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Wilson Staff/Hack To Jack Fitting Event

GolfSpy Barbajo

As promised, here are some pictures and details from Tuesday's big fitting event for Hack To Jack's Team Wilson Staff.

First, some background: Hack to Jack is a Minneapolis-based Golf Reality Show (YouTube channel here), now in its 2nd season.  I've been a contestant both years.  It's a hell of a lot of fun and since starting the program my handicap has dropped from 12.5 (April of 2014) to its current 7.5!  

This season OEM's and other golf companies (including retailers 2nd Swing & GolfSmith) are sponsoring 2-person teams. Sponsors include Callaway, Bridgestone, ScottGolf, TaylorMade (Hack to Jack received $25,000 from TMag's HackGolf.org initiative - yes, they DID give away some money!). Wilson Staff is sponsoring two 2-person teams, and we have a custom club fitting experience Tuesday when Wilson Tour Fitter Nick Geyer drove Wilson's Tour Van up to pay us a visit...

First we met Nick at the fitting/demo tent,and then he brought us to the Tour Van. 

IMG_9207.JPG

IMG_9210.JPG

IMG_9211.JPG

We expected to see a "working" van where clubs are built.  We did see that, but we also saw a nice surprise from Wilson:

IMG_9228.JPG

IMG_9214.JPG

They sure went all out for their team!

We also had the chance to poke around the van - this was the traveling Demo Day van. Nick brings it to demo days around the country, does custom fittings (he's REALLY good) and can build the clubs right away.  

IMG_9213.JPGIMG_9215.JPGIMG_9217.JPGIMG_9220.JPGIMG_9224.JPGIMG_9226.JPGIMG_9229.JPGIMG_9231.JPG

The fittings themselves were done over the course of about 3 hours or so. I had already been fit for my clubs, so teammates Josh Wurzberger, Brin Paulson and Stephanie Lang had their turn.  Josh and Stephanie were fit for the FG Tour M3 irons. Josh is a 12 handicapper who hits the ball a loooong way - while Stephanie has been playing golf most of her life but is just now getting back into golf after a back injury.  She's about a 26 'capper now but will have that down into the teens before too long. Stephanie was fit into graphite shafts in her irons, as well as 3, 4 and 5 D200 hybrids.

All were also fit into the D200 driver and fairway woods, as well as the FG Tour TC wedges - which Nick was able to custom-stamp and paint fill for them! (pix to come). We were also set up with putters.  I wanted an 8802 in the worst way, but since I crouch when I putt and need a 32-33 inch putter, the 8802 just wasn't an option. 

Oh, and they also customized some Duo, Duo Spin and FG Tour balls for us, as well!

IMG_9237.JPGIMG_9239.JPG

It was great fun watching Josh, Brin and Stephanie go through a thorough club fitting. Nick was great to work with, explained everything and let the player lead the process.  He encouraged them to try all the clubs and all the combinations to see what worked best.  He did not have a Trackman with him, instead relying on his eyes and ears. Could a different driver/shaft combo have worked better? Possibly, but Nick watched ball flight, launch angle and listened for the impact sound to do most of the work, which he would have done with or without Trackman. 

I made some Periscope videos of the sessions - some of you watched them live. If you have the Periscope app, you can go to my account and watch them - pretty fascinating stuff to watch.

Brin is also about a 12 and was fit into the FG Tour V4 irons (same as me). 

IMG_9208.JPG

IMG_9209.JPG

IMG_9227.JPG

IMG_9230.JPG

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great write up Mr Barba. What I'd give for a fitting session like that. I pretty much think that the guys over here whilst they do their best, it kinda feels like they do it as a fill in job and don't seem real committed to giving you the best possible fit and experience. Such is life.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Hey, nice write up and pics! That must be a blast to be a part of. Wish I had the time and opportunity to do something like that! What am I saying? I wish I had the time to play period. Haven't even been to a range to practice for months.

Spent well over an hour watching clips and checking out the site. This is awesome! I absolutely love the concept and am shocked that a major network hasn't picked this up yet. Kudos to the OEMs for providing their support as well. I noticed two big dogs (titleist and ping) are missing but truly there's no surprise there.

Are they planning on expanding this nationally?

This is much better than "Big Break."

This should be on the Golf Channel

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Spent well over an hour watching clips and checking out the site. This is awesome! I absolutely love the concept and am shocked that a major network hasn't picked this up yet. Kudos to the OEMs for providing their support as well. I noticed two big dogs (titleist and ping) are missing but truly there's no surprise there.

Are they planning on expanding this nationally?

I think that is the eventual plan.  Take is slow and steady - they'll need more financial backing to get into new markets. Kevin, the producer, presented at a golf media conference last week in Orlando - hopefully that can lead to bigger and better things.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived