Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

Second? A legacy. I can't put enough emphasis on how important this is with these clubs. I use SOO many different products on a daily basis. From deodorant and shampoo, to a certain kind of pen, cars, notebooks, foods, instruments, shoes, bags, clothes, phones, computers and so much more.

But through all of that (and I'm an avid consumer of products, I know, I'm a materialist.) I can't think of a SINGLE thing that I've encountered through all of those products that feels so... important to someone. These irons sitting in the trunk of my car  :unsure: (don't anyone get any ideas now) have a man's name on them. Sadly he has passed on, but these clubs are important to people. 

I am very interested in these clubs.  The only reason I haven't ordered at least a couple of irons is that I don't have a fitter near me and I haven't had the chance to hit them.  When I order them, I want to make sure I get the optimal fit and set up.  Hogan Fit is good, but I want to go the extra step and make sure what I get is correct for my build and swing.  

One factor that doesn't really factor into my thinking on the clubs is the Hogan name.  I am interested in the clubs because I play SCOR wedges/9 iron and they are the best clubs I've ever had.  Clubs have been produced under the Hogan name, some good, some not so good, over the years.  

If by "legacy", you mean Hogan's influence on Terry and the people at Scor and their commitment to design and excellence, then I'm with you.

Nevertheless, I don't buy goods just because of name or manufacturer.  Mercedes has build some god-awful cars and Mont Blanc makes some pens I wouldn't even consider using.   "Legacy" will get me to consider the product, to investigate it thoroughly, and to compare it to other products.  But it sill has to fit my needs and wants.       

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, they are songs from the movie.  If you haven't seen it, you are too young. :)

I would suggest you find an old movie house that's showing it around Halloween.  Be warned though, that it does get messy inside during the show.  Wear something appropriate!!

Lol will do. Thanks for the heads up!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Friday,

I agree with you completely. These clubs aren't just a name that's been slapped onto the back of a club and thrown out the door.

What I mean by legacy is the influence Mr. Hogan has had in Terry Koehler and his team, as well as the traditional styling and influence he inspired in the clubs.

Take that with some of the smoothest feeling clubs our three and they start to shine.

Believe me, this whole legacy conversation will be heavily covered in what I have to say!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Friends, 

Here is a little tease about my full review:

"These irons are what a classic Hogan product is all about."

Stay tuned for my full review! 

Twitter: @EdmundCruz 

@ChiGolfAth 

What's In The Bag:

Driver:  Tour Edge Golf EX9 10 degrees, UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL Stiff Flex
Hybrid:  Tour Edge Golf Exotics EX9 #3 Hybrid, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4 Stiff Flex
Irons:
:benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15 Irons, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Wedges:
:benhogan-small: TK 15 Wedges, 51, 55, 59. KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Putter: Buzelli Golf STA-1, Standard Loft/Lie
Ball:  Snell Golf My Tour Ball 

Still no damned reviews :mad:

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Patience, grasshopper!  Just keep singing this song to yourself...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Seriously, these had all better be novels.

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

We've been given a time line to stick to. They wanted them done in a certain time frame and they wanted to give us a lengthy period to also collect data and results. There's a thought process put into this

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Good things come to those who wait.  I'm anxious for the reviews but trust that they will be better with the waiting period.  I'm most anxious to learn how the mid and long irons performed and also if there were a SCOR user among the reviewers I'd love to know if there is a discernible difference in the wedges.

If the answer to A is that they perform and provide some forgiveness and B is not really - I would strongly consider giving Hogan a try in this offseason. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Part of the fun of the review process has been asking some others to hit them and give me their impression. I almost always used the 26 degree iron.

"It looks hard to hit and it's not. It feels just as good as my clubs". - Single digit player who currently uses Mizuno blades and has for a long time.

"Nice feel, but the top line looks a little thick. Not a criticism but I do notice it." Single digit player who uses Miura passing point irons

"The wedges are sweet". PGA pro who happened to tie our course record this year.

"They look terrifying." 10 handicap who uses Callaway Apex irons

Some of the things I will get into with my review:

The feel is classic Hogan with an unexpected difference.

Loft gapping does not necessarily equal distance gapping - backed-up with launch monitor data.

The clubs won't save a terrible swing but once in a while the wedges will save your @$$.

Chipping was an adventure until I realized one thing.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Yes, they are songs from the movie.  If you haven't seen it, you are too young. :)

I would suggest you find an old movie house that's showing it around Halloween.  Be warned though, that it does get messy inside during the show.  Wear something appropriate!!

I used to go to the Tampa theatre on halloween for the show....on the screen and on stage in front of the screen....you got two shows for the price of one.  The local acts were fantastic.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'm not going to give a direct excerpt from my review today guys. Because I'm still testing and something could change between now and when I do my full write up. Instead of giving a sneak preview of my review as a teaser, I'm doing a little different preview.

I've been trying to get to the range fairly regularly with these. I've been going to the range more since starting the testing of these irons than I have in a while. The results are that I'm playing better due to that. Lol.

One thing I've enjoyed is when hitting these and someone asks me what I hit, I call out the loft number only. It confuses the heck out of people, lol. They get bewildered.

I, too, have let other people hit these. Problem I've run into, however, for them testing is they can't load the x flex shafts. They love the feel but it limits their opinion on the club's because they can't load them.

That's about all the nuggets I'm gonna give out. It's not a whole lot, that's true. For those wanting more, I'm sorry, you're going to have to stay tuned in to this thread.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The best thing for my game the last few seasons was the combo of lessons and the SCOR review - I had to hit lots of short irons on the par 3 course to get data which meant that what I was being taught got put into practice, under fire, right away.  It was great! 

I'm very anxious to hear how the middle irons are to hit.  I would do anything to replace my current irons if I thought I could find something that looks better and works the same or better.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't really understand this situation.  The clubs were unboxed by the testers approximately June 11 and it is now July 13 and there has been no review posted.  Am I following the wrong thread or something?

I have followed other reviews on this site but I have never noticed such a delay.  I'm confused.

I don't really understand this situation.  The clubs were unboxed by the testers approximately June 11 and it is now July 13 and there has been no review posted.  Am I following the wrong thread or something?

I have followed other reviews on this site but I have never noticed such a delay.  I'm confused.

No confusion, and no delay - we wanted to give our testers a full month to work with the clubs and get a real feel for them.  We didn't want any rash reviews!

The first review is scheduled for later today, with the next one coming Wednesday, and then Friday.  The remaining three reviews will be M-W-F of next week.

Hope that clears it up for you... 

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

@ OceanSands - several of the posts have said that this will be a different review.  It could be that Hogan themselves requested that the testers live with their irons for a month or so before reviewing should begin.  Testing is always a partnership between MGS, the company who's equipment is being tested and the test(er).  Having been a tester on a number of items I know that I'm not always aware of the dynamics between MGS staff and the OEM.  It can be difficult for the tester too.

I'm sure these reviews will be great and we will have a sense of why they took so long.  Hang in there.

And there you go, while I was posting my answer Barbajo beat me to the punch,

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Guys,

I'm ready to go live. I'll need to do some formatting on the post, but if we are ready, I'll get this up and rolling.

All I need is the green light Barbajo. 

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Not sure a month to review a set of irons is that long. Being one of the testers I would say it is the right amount of time.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

First review is up and ready, gang!  Check out Sschaffer24's take on the new Hogan's here

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Excellent review Sschaffer24! Extremely thorough! I thought the video at the end was a nice touch as well. Good job bud!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Thank you Kenny! Much appreciated man!

Edit: Undershooter I didn't mean to leave you out... Haha. Didn't get the notification! And I appreciate it. There is just so much going on with these clubs that typed words couldn't touch on.

Also, for anyone watching. Sorry for any drawn out sentences our messed up wording. All of the stuff in the video was straight off the top. I had a few topics written down and just let the thoughts come out.

I hope you all enjoy!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Great reviews guys so far! Awesome. I have no questions left unanswered.

While still a good looking club, they just don't have a look that blows me away, like the new mp5 from mizuno.

Don't get me wrong, I would never kick them outta bed, but they aren't strikingly good looking clubs, but keep in mind, this is only a comment towards the looks only.

I'm guessing they are sweet to hit.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Sluggo,

This is absolutely a situation where pictures don't do these clubs justice. I'm not saying that your opinion needs to change, but you can't really appreciate just how well tied together these clubs are until you've seen them in person. In person they really are very striking!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Sschaffer24

One of the best reviews on MGS that I have ever read.........  golf clap

Well Done, well written, nicely executed....

uhhhhhhh "The Pointe".   I know #1 well, it a tough hole to start and it can ruin your whole day.  I just got back from the the OBX.  Played The Pointe ,Kilmarlic (buddy jarred an ace on #5), Duckwoods and Seascape.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Thanks Hula! That means a ton my man. Couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity.

You popped into my head while I was writing that actually! I knew you'd recognize the hole I was describing immediately! Haha. What a small world.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

The Pointe is in EXCELLENT condition !!!!!  "A sea of green carpet"

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Really nice review sschaefer - great job, thanks!

There are two things that I would like to know one of which might be answerable the other not if I remember everyone's specs.

1.  How do the wedges compare to their SCOR forerunners.  To me they look very similar.  That's not bad, that's good.

2.  What is the graphite offering like?  If I were to try Hogan it would have to be graphite.  Even though our testers all have some sort of steel I'm wondering if any of our readers have tried graphite as yet.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived