Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

Really nice review sschaefer - great job, thanks!

There are two things that I would like to know one of which might be answerable the other not if I remember everyone's specs.

1.  How do the wedges compare to their SCOR forerunners.  To me they look very similar.  That's not bad, that's good.

2.  What is the graphite offering like?  If I were to try Hogan it would have to be graphite.  Even though our testers all have some sort of steel I'm wondering if any of our readers have tried graphite as yet.

I think Jmike is rocking some UST recoils if I remember correctly. There seems to be some decent offering as far as graphite goes but there are some upcharges.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have the Recoil 110 F5 in mine and I really think that they are .....Guess you have to wait for my review.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I do have the Recoil 110 F5 in mine and I really think that they are .....Guess you have to wait for my review.

Oooohhh --- burn!!!

Had a chance to hit a couple of Hogan's last week at 2nd Swing -- it's interesting to hear how forgiving they are for a club that looks like a blade.  Hogan said a 15 handicapper could game them, and that appears to be the case.  

Road trip to Pennsylvania -- who's in???

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Oooohhh --- burn!!!

Had a chance to hit a couple of Hogan's last week at 2nd Swing -- it's interesting to hear how forgiving they are for a club that looks like a blade.  Hogan said a 15 handicapper could game them, and that appears to be the case.  

Road trip to Pennsylvania -- who's in???

Or we can head to Long Island and play Bethpage....pretty much in my backyard.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Or we can head to Long Island and play Bethpage....pretty much in my backyard.

Not a bad idea at all....;-)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm game to make the drive. Bethpage would be pretty amazing! 

RevKev, unfortunately I can't give any feedback comparing these wedges to the Scor wedges. My understanding is that a huge amount of the tech from those are worked straight into the TK wedges, but I'm sure there are some minor differences like anything.

What a blast! Feel free to fire away with questions fellas...

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Thanks bro!

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Sluggo,

This is absolutely a situation where pictures don't do these clubs justice. I'm not saying that your opinion needs to change, but you can't really appreciate just how well tied together these clubs are until you've seen them in person. In person they really are very striking!

Oh I get they're a super high quality piece, it's just got that cavity backed ish look. Like I said, it's not a ding against the club, it's just one mans opinion of the looks.

It's like a real hot chick, there is always at least one guy who is totally sick of her.

Whereas the new MP-5 is like a super model in a red Ferrari.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I'm not sure who was more excited about the first review being up, Shawn having written it or me finally getting to read it.  First things first Shawn, man you are obviously an over achiever what a review.  Again your passion for the game shines like a beacon.  Your attention to detail would make Sherlock Holmes blush and honestly there aren't enough adjectives that I can think of to heap praise on the job you did, well done. 

I had already done the online fit more as a passing sort of interest and after reading your review I went back and did it in earnest with the serious intent depending on cost and of course after reading a few more reviews when they are posted to get a balanced view, with the possibility of buying a set of these bad boys.  With freight it is about $1940.00 of my hard earned and being an international order, there will be likely little or no after sales service or comeback.  The prospect is a scary one to say the least.  But if they are the set I'm looking for it will be worth it.

Questions

1. How did the distance you hit the Hogan's compare to your Pings?  I note in the review you say the differences were small - how small.  How far do you hit an I25 six iron as opposed to a Hogan 6 iron?

2. Were you able to vary how high or low you hit shots purposefully?  You said in the review you hit the Hogan's lower how much lower?  I have a low ball flight so this is a concern for me.

3. Could you fade or draw the ball at will with the Hogan's?  Whilst I'm not a great shot maker I want to be able to work the ball,  the G30 irons I had were nearly impossible to work because they had so much game improvement built in.

4.  You have made a comparison between the G30 and the Hogan's in the forgiveness stakes.  Really!?  That is a big call so I say again really?

I also say again Shawn great job mate and I look forward to reading your answers to my questions and again more of the reviews.  I'm definitely a happy camper :)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Great review Shawn!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Oh I get they're a super high quality piece, it's just got that cavity backed ish look. Like I said, it's not a ding against the club, it's just one mans opinion of the looks.

It's like a real hot chick, there is always at least one guy who is totally sick of her.

Whereas the new MP-5 is like a super model in a red Ferrari.

Absolutely stellar way to put that. Haha I'm still laughing!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Great review Shawn!

Thank you sir!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I'm not sure who was more excited about the first review being up, Shawn having written it or me finally getting to read it.  First things first Shawn, man you are obviously an over achiever what a review.  Again your passion for the game shines like a beacon.  Your attention to detail would make Sherlock Holmes blush and honestly there aren't enough adjectives that I can think of to heap praise on the job you did, well done. 

I had already done the online fit more as a passing sort of interest and after reading your review I went back and did it in earnest with the serious intent depending on cost and of course after reading a few more reviews when they are posted to get a balanced view, with the possibility of buying a set of these bad boys.  With freight it is about $1940.00 of my hard earned and being an international order, there will be likely little or no after sales service or comeback.  The prospect is a scary one to say the least.  But if they are the set I'm looking for it will be worth it.

Questions

1. How did the distance you hit the Hogan's compare to your Pings?  I note in the review you say the differences were small - how small.  How far do you hit an I25 six iron as opposed to a Hogan 6 iron?

2. Were you able to vary how high or low you hit shots purposefully?  You said in the review you hit the Hogan's lower how much lower?  I have a low ball flight so this is a concern for me.

3. Could you fade or draw the ball at will with the Hogan's?  Whilst I'm not a great shot maker I want to be able to work the ball,  the G30 irons I had were nearly impossible to work because they had so much game improvement built in.

4.  You have made a comparison between the G30 and the Hogan's in the forgiveness stakes.  Really!?  That is a big call so I say again really?

I also say again Shawn great job mate and I look forward to reading your answers to my questions and again more of the reviews.  I'm definitely a happy camper :)

Man I was waiting for you to respond to this! You were beating the table for weeks for these and it took you a whole day to get a response up! :P 

I have a few points I'd like to make before I get to your questions. First off, to you and to everyone saying so, thank you for the positives wishes. I am just beyond thankful for the opportunity, it's been so awesome to participate in something like this. I'm the type of person who never enters my name into drawings because I don't think I'll ever win. And boy am I thrilled to have bucked that trend this time around.

Some of you may have noticed a complete lack of any scientific data in my testing. I actually did that for a reason, not out of laziness. I planned to talk about it at some point and feel I have the stage currently to do so.

Here's why guys. The performance I get from these clubs is mine, and mine alone. If any single person reading this thread would pick my set of sticks up, they would never reproduce the same numbers as myself with any of the clubs. That is a profound statement to me.

Now, I understand what everyone is thinking. "But if you hit the 6 iron with the i25 X distance and the 29* with Hogan X distance I then can judge how they perform." The problem is you can't. I'm going to apply different variables than you will, and I also have different controls that I use. At what point is look, feel, confidence, brand loyalty, playing conditions, physical condition and so on taken into account?

I guess where I'm coming from is we all as golfers have strengths and weaknesses in our game. I would hazard a bet that I produce significantly more spin on shots around the green and can consistently chip/putt with the single digit and plus handicaps on this board. The long game? I'm probably on par with a 30 handicap, and this that averages to the 15 or so that I am today.

The other reason I don't post specific numbers is that loft numbers are nowhere near the same. In the top end of my set of the Ping i25's the loft differences are significant. So trying to compare distance numbers to me makes no sense.

I'm also absolutely, completely a feel player. I do use a rangefinder and try to play to distances, but I have no problem taking two clubs more than necessary and trying to hit a soft/cutty ball to produce the shape that I want. The game I play is absolutely feel based.

I think the only TRUE distance/performance test that I can perform would be a randomized test with either blacked out labels and so on, or to adopt a testing practice similar to MGS.

Rant over.

With that being said, I will try my best to give you my perception of the answers to your questions.

1. I hit my 6 iron around 170ish yards with the Ping i25's. My hogan 29* (which I noted had a variance in performance) played maybe 175. It was a small difference. Where I noticed the most distance changes were with the shorter irons (better center face contact from a more confidence inspiring club, as well as a shorter club.) I would hit the 37* 140-145 with the Hogan where my Ping 8 iron would play 130-135.

2. Yes! I can play the different trajectories relatively easy. The beautiful thing about these irons are that they are just so workable. High/low, shot shapes, all of them are pretty easy to do! I did also notice a much better general ball flight for these compared to the Pings. The i25's were always excessively high, and excessively right of the target. These are much more flighted and penetrating. With a straighter ball flight. If the Ping's were considered a slice, these would be a baby fade for me, verging on baby draw when struck well.

3. I just realized I answered this question in my second answer. Apologies. Haha. :)

4. I made a passing comparison on that level of forgiveness, yes. Here are my thoughts. Terry Koehler says in the podcast I listened to that if you were to take a caliper into a golf store and measure the hitting area of the clubs on shelves, they would all effectively measure the same size. Sure footprints will change, thickness, offset, perimeter weighting and so on with each model, but the effective hitting area will be the same.

That is profound to me. Gaming these irons, the only shot I feel you are punished by is hitting it very thin. Low on the grooves, out of the heel or toe (within reason) and definitely out of the middle all has very similar performance among them. I wouldn't quite say these are as forgiving as the G30's, but they are definitely more forgiving than the MP-59's and quote a bit more friendly than the i25's. Please keep in mind. I like hitting a bladed club head. I've always been drawn to a very small, traditional club because it gives me less opportunity to miss and that gives me confidence. So I'm certain that plays a role in how I hit these.

Thanks again man! I'm happy to do it for you guys! One thing I want to come back to: Call the company. Please. If you are considering spending $1940 on these clubs (great decision, worth the purchase) please call in and at least verify their numbers. It's amazing the changes that were made to my setup after calling in. And honestly this would be an entirely different review had I not. So please give them a call man! 

I really think that Hogan needs to add a disclaimer to their checkout recommending that you call and verify your specs. If they're going to pay a PGA pro to man their phones, they should put them into contact with as many golfers as they possibly can!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

1. I hit my 6 iron around 170ish yards with the Ping i25's. My hogan 29* (which I noted had a variance in performance) played maybe 175. It was a small difference. Where I noticed the most distance changes were with the shorter irons (better center face contact from a more confidence inspiring club, as well as a shorter club.) I would hit the 37* 140-145 with the Hogan where my Ping 8 iron would play 130-135.

2. Yes! I can play the different trajectories relatively easy. The beautiful thing about these irons are that they are just so workable. High/low, shot shapes, all of them are pretty easy to do! I did also notice a much better general ball flight for these compared to the Pings. The i25's were always excessively high, and excessively right of the target. These are much more flighted and penetrating. With a straighter ball flight. If the Ping's were considered a slice, these would be a baby fade for me, verging on baby draw when struck well.

I am not sure that I would call +10 yards between 8 irons a small difference; nearly a club.  I am not surprised by the differences however.  When I replaced my Ping i20 9-iron with the SCOR 42, I gained about the same yardage.  Now I have a very small gap between the i20 8-iron and the SCOR 42.  It sounds like the Hogans have similar flight characteristics to the SCORs.  That's good!  I just need to figure out if I want 4 Hogan clubs to fill out my iron set.

As far as height of shots, I hit my SCORs higher than my i20's on full shots, but the SCORs are very easy to flight down.  I have to say though that I have the standard Ping graphite shaft and the 95g UST graphite shaft in the SCORs, which is a much better shaft.  I think the Hogans can be set up by a fitter to flight however high you want them by selecting the proper shaft and having it adjusted correctly.  So, mizuno_lover, even with a naturally low ball flight, I think you can get the Hogans set up for a higher flight if you wanted.  However, I appreciate your "long range" predicament.  I only have to go 240 miles to get a fit!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny,

I agree completely. I think that out of 100% of the influence of my ball flight, that 75% is from the KBS Tour C Tapers, and 25% is from the higher CG placement in the head, thus naturally lowering the flight and adding spin to the shot!

So once again mizuno_lover. Another reason to call in and to find a shaft that fits your needs appropriately.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Contrary to popular opinion I do have a life out side the MGS forum.  I know it is surprising but the reason it took me so long to read and respond was I was actually out playing the game we all write about here as well as other bits and pieces that we call life :)  Shawn I also appreciate that your numbers are your numbers.  By publishing them in a review you give people like me a chance to make a very rough comparison, like ok Shawn he says he does this and he fades it a bit so when I take that into account and so it goes.  Your numbers are your numbers, we get it, just saying they are a point in space that till you wrote the review was empty.  Now at the very least I have something to go by and when a few more reviews hit the shelves I will have more.  And yes, it had occurred already that I would be making a call.  A near $2000 investment would have me making several calls I think.  Rant over.

Thanks for your answers to my questions as ever you give more than asked for, your generosity of soul is awesome and I am humbled by it.  Maybe Hogan should be making you an employment offer ;)

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

Brand ambassador of Pennsylvania? 😋

And I understand completely man. It makes sense where you're coming from and I expect that to be a majority of the opinions. Just had to give my thoughts as well! 😊

At the end of the day I'm happy to have answered your questions for you! If you have anymore please feel free to ask away!

I for one an curious to hear how a call to them turns out for you. Out of our test group I was the only one that had to call in with a fitting related question, so it would be interesting to hear someones elses take on their customer service experience!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Great job Shawn. If you ever make it down to Chambersburg, I want to see those things in action.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

That's not too far of a haul for me. We need to get some guys from MGS rounded up from the area and head to a course. I like Jmike's suggestion of Bethpage. ;)

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I'm in for that. And you're always welcome to crash here overnight if you want to come down and play a few rounds.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Thanks for that dude! We will have to get something setup! Anyone else from the PA area, feel free to get in touch as well! Let's get something setup!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Absolutely true. Good point Friday!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Trust me Shawn I'd suggest the whole forum and half the state of Western Australia will know if I go ahead and get these babies.  By the way all you MGS forum dwellers if you are ever here in the Western Australia I am available to be your golf tour guide especially so if you have a set of Hogan's that I can have a hit of ;)

My Bag

Haha. That's pretty good. I imagine you standing on top of a mountain and telling about your new Hogans!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Over the weekend, I visited my son in Minneapolis.  I set up a fitting for the clubs at Second Swing Golf.  The fitting took place in their "Tour Van" section, housed next door to the main store.  

The fitting started with me swinging a standard club lined with white sensors.  The pro used the swings to build a 3-D model of my swing.  The pro described it as a Mizuno shaft fitting on steroids.  We looked at the numbers and he said I needed 1 1/2 degrees upright--which is how my Scor wedges are set up.  I then hit a number of shots with different shafts and heads.  I liked the feel of the Hogans best.  They felt very similar to my Scor wedges.  My hope that the clubs would play like the Scors seems to be affirmed, at least hitting into a net.  

I found the experience of hitting different shafts with the same head very interesting.  I was a bit surprised that the feeling I had from each shaft was confirmed by the numbers.

I'm an old fart, so I ended up liking and having the best numbers with the Mamiya graphite/composite shaft.  The lighter weight of the shaft gave me a higher ball speed and it felt right to me--I have graphite shafts in my current irons and wedges.  I also hit irons 4 degrees apart to check if a 4 degree spacing of lofts would work for me.  The numbers said it should.   

I ended up ordering the Hogans--big surprise there.  I ordered 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, and 60.  I thought about not replacing my wedges, but decided to go completely new.  I plan on having these clubs for years, so I decided to start fresh with a completely matched set.  A bit extravagant, I know.  The store has a long term "maintenance" policy on the clubs.  They will check the clubs for any changes in loft or lie and can bend the clubs later if I find, for example,  I need a slightly different set up in the long irons than the short irons, or I find I have an unusual yardage gap between any of the clubs.     

The store ordered the clubs for me and they will be sent to Minneapolis where they will be checked for loft and lie and then sent to me.  

Other than grips, I ended up with the same set I would have ordered off Hogan Fit.  Nevertheless, I am glad I got the specs confirmed by the fitting.  The pro who did the fitting didn't know about my Hogan fit numbers, so it was a "blind" fitting.  If, however, you have gone through fittings in the past, those numbers should work for Hogan Fit.       

@ springbok I can understand how you might think that but this is review number 1 and it's his first time reviewing.  He did an incredible job of it but there are five more to come - I would wait until you have the full compliment to see what the consensus is.

I think that Sean's encouragement to call before ordering is huge!  Online fitting is a starting point, always! 

I'm not as convinced that a $1,900 investment is worth it.  Would I be $1,900 better or $1,000 better (that's the difference between the number of Hogans I would purchase to replace what's currently in my bag irons and wedges) or ($700) better, the cost if I replaced just my Wilson's that I bag with the Hogans?  That's a question that I have to ask myself.  Sean's great review helps me to understand the Benefit's of the Hogans.  To me it seems that they perform very much like SCORs.  But we will see from the other reviews.

Having written several reviews for MGS I can say that I was never influenced to write something positive and that I never had a negative edited out of a review.  I'm confident that the results we read will be accurate to what the reviewers experienced.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Friday,

It sounds like you had a really positive experience in your fitting! At the end of the day I'm happy you found a set of clubs that works for you, and I find it really interesting to have it reaffirmed how similar these are to the score clubs.

Springbok, I can see where you look at my scoring and since the clubs were provides for me, how that could be taken as the numbers being inflated.

That's not the case at all. The scores are strong because the clubs are fantastic. I felt that they warranted the score they received, and that's that. You're obviously welcome to your opinion. I know that my opinions provides in my review are strictly that. My opinions on the clubs and my perceived benefits from using the clubs, how they fit into their branding, and all that was outlined is as such.

And Rev, first off thank you, and second I see your stance. Obviously there are lower costing clubs our there to buy. You have to make the decision on whether you think these irons provide what you're looking for.

I can say that replacing the irons seems like the minimum choice to make, and you need to kind of go through the same process as Friday and decide whether or not the matching wedges to your irons is worth it.

One thing I do really like is having matching shafts in my irons ans wedges. It really helps to maintain the same feel between clubs!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Archived