TESTERS WANTED! ×

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

To me these are the Amy Schumer of irons....a little thick in some areas and a bit to round in others, but overall not bad looking at all.

well played sir

giphy.gif

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job Jmike! I've been looking forward on yours and rookie's reviews the most because your games were prolly the most similar to my own. That and the fact Rookie has prolly owned more clubs than I've seen in my entire life.

Great job Jmike! I've been looking farward on yours' and rookie's reviews the most because your games were prolly the most similar to my own. That and the fact Rookie has prolly owned clubs than I've seen in my entire life. 

I'm really sad I didn't get to review these to give the opposite approach.

"Well, Bob, these irons are sure pretty. They even make excellent garden spades! You won't believe the amount of earth one of these can move before it even touches the ball! They're like tiny little backhoes. Turf interaction: 100/100!"

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Great job Jmike! I've been looking farward on yours' and rookie's reviews the most because your games were prolly the most similar to my own. That and the fact Rookie has prolly owned more clubs than I've seen in my entire life.

Thanks.  I am not far behind him in the club category...at least with woods, wedges and putters.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Thanks.  I am not far behind him in the club category...at least with woods, wedges and putters.

Lets be honest. You prolly have him beat in the putter category

I have some golf shops beat in the putter category.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I have some golf shops beat in the putter category.

You have more than my local Nevada bobs and are neck and neck with the Edwin Watts so yea.. Agreed

Awesome review and keep up the great playing!

Thanks. Two member guests in the next two weeks so hopefully I can bank enough coin to cover Disney in December.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Thanks. Two member guests in the next two weeks so hopefully I can bank enough coin to cover Disney in December.

Hey my member guest is in December.......

Just kidding of course, at least I hope it's not.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Apprenti. I am glad someone else saw what I saw. I also checked them out last week at the PGA Superstore and thought the same thing you did. But thought my eyesight may be off but then I read your post. They have more offset on the short irons than the older Hogans had for sure. The round toe did not bother me that much even though I am used to squarer toes. Now I can cancel that appointment with my eye doctor thanks!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Apprenti. I am glad someone else saw what I saw. I also checked them out last week at the PGA Superstore and thought the same thing you did. But thought my eyesight may be off but then I read your post. They have more offset on the short irons than the older Hogans had for sure. The round toe did not bother me that much even though I am used to squarer toes. Now I can cancel that appointment with my eye doctor thanks!

Any time Stu!

Hey guys. Happy to hear some extra input from some other guys. Every club looks different to every golfer. I happen to find these so well tied together I'm at a loss for words with the looks!

Got a change to have a lesson and play 9 holes this evening. I have to say it was one of the best nines I've played in my life. I had complete control of these irons all the way through the bag. I just couldn't be happier.

Man, I fell in love with them all over again!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Just to be clear fellas I keep the putter companies solvent over here in my part of the world.  In fact I have my eye on a nice Mizuno putter at the Muni pro shop that I'm waiting to purchase.  Those guys just rub their hands together when I walk in the shop :lol: 

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Off set :huh: off set is evil, really how much off set are we talking here? :mad:

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

Great review Jmike. 

My Bag

Off set :huh: off set is evil, really how much off set are we talking here? :mad:

I'm going to give this one a hack. Think 825 pro for offset. I bagged those for a time and it was a nice transition into the SCORs at the bottom. The 825 head shape and size were different, squarer and larger.

Apprenti doesn't sit on here bragging, he's told us he's a pro, perhaps I even remember a class A, his eye is going to be a bit different from most of ours. I love Big Stu but he plays in classic club events, that trains the eye differently also. What they are reminding us of is huge, not all clubs are for all golfers, we all swing differently and we view things and hear things and feel things differently. Golf is not a one size fits all game.

I'm tipping my cup of Joe to both of them as I write.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev,

Sounds like you are trying some affirmation stuff to talk yourself into these. As I said in my review they do have a bit thicker top line and a bit more offset than I would prefer.....both ended up not making a difference to me. I can take some pics next to my Adams MB2s and AP2s over the weekend when I get home if that would be helpful for you?

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

To me these are the Amy Schumer of irons....a little thick in some areas and a bit to round in others, but overall not bad looking at all.

If that's the case, I'm in...wouldn't kick her out of bed if she farted.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Thanks much for your reviw, jmike, I will probably go back and reread your thoughts several times.  I especially liked your frankness regarding the wedges and your sand play......keep at it, it will come.  Just a couple weeks ago i jarred a bunker shot with my 57* SCOR....if i can do it, I know you can!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Yes Jmike, comparison photos with the off set would be great.  I can live with a little but too much and I'm hooking everything off the planet!

Good post above too Rev, as always.

My Bag

I have decided to wait a while to purchase the Hogans, until my game improves.  I am only in my second year.  I did a little experiment.  My first set of clubs was the Adams Idea, even the 6 iron is a bit of a hybrid.  Then I bought SCOR which replaced my wedges and 9 iron.  Then last winter I bought Callaway Big Bertha irons and played them.  I was never happy with them, huge ugly offset and I was drawing & hooking all the time.  So, a couple of games ago I went back to the Adams and hit them very well, just a nice draw.

The SCOR have always been in my bag since I bought them over a year ago.  But, I thought well, if I am hitting the Adams well, why not put the Adams wedges and 9 iron back in the bag?  Mistake!  It was a reminder of just how consistent the SCOR clubs are.  Today I will be playing with my Adams Idea down to the 8 iron and SCOR 60, 56, 52, 48, 44.

Maybe when Hogan comes out with a Game Improvement iron, I will be a customer.

I wouldn't sell yourself short Ocean Sands.  You can grow into a set and as you do your ball striking does improve.  Sounds to me like you have a good head on your shoulders though and the fact that you are hitting a draw already is a great start in a difficult game.

My Bag

@jmike cpa - the pics will be nice but I'm doubting that they look any different from the SCORs, in fact to me they look like SCORs in Hogan's clothing - that's not bad - I'm thinking that the specs are the same for the wedges as well.  For me the SCORs were always about the sole.  I had very similar experiences to yours and others here with that sole at first.  Once I got it though I was fine.  I'm very confident that it will work well for me up to around a 30 so the question is - 26 or 5 hybrid.

Given that I bagged a 5 hybrid up until last season it wouldn't be hard to pick up one to match my current Callaway 4 and be done with it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Man. I'm so confused about the offset comments you guys are making. I get that the hosel is radically different, but these irons don't sit like a game improvement club to me or anything in that neighborhood.

I really think the Hogan hosel might play some games with people in the offset department? Maybe not. I very well may be the one whose incorrect!

That being said, Rev, I have some perspective for you. Thinking about replacing my 25 with a hybrid or a MP-H5 type of iron, I went for a lesson and a fitting yesterday. I had my lesson, we talked about what I wanted to do, he had me hitting the top end of my bag for quite awhile and we really worked on impact with the 25. I was hitting it well.

I then took out my i25 hybrid, the MP-H5 4 iron, callaway utility 23 degree, titleist 4 hybrid and a jacked up callaway alpha 3 hybrid (loft raised). I was hitting them all on the range just to try them out, and the only one I was consistently hitting further than my 25 was the alpha. But to me that was strictly because of the loft. The 25 felt better, went higher, went further to my eye and was easier to shape.

My point being that these are some pretty friendly clubs. And I'm starting to warm up to playing the longer irons as well. Don't sleep on these guys!

I know I seem like nothing but a positive Hogan person, but I'm just giving some honest feedback here. I want all of you guys anyone who makes a decision off of what I say, I want them to make that because it's what is best for them. Not because of a brand.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Sschaeffer - look at the handicap of those who are talking about offset - those guys are all capable of hitting anything really and even a small, very small amount of offset might lead to issues with a hook or over draw or difficulty hitting a little cut with the short irons.  I think they are seeing what's there and they are right for their mind's eye.

To me the little offset is just right, my swing has slowed down a bit, I will take a bit of help.

In regards to the 25 sometimes it's between the ears of course - the question I have to ask is whether I want to put in the work to feel comfortable with a club even if it is relatively easy to hit.  It's why I've avoided players irons - I can hit them - they just take more work than I have time for or care to invest - I'd rather be playing golf. :)

You're in a much different place, you are on the upside of a mountain that I and others are about half way down on the other side.  We have different needs.  I love having your perspective and enthusiasm here!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have to take another look at mine next time I play.  Think is, I have played forged blades (Hogans) most of my life until my AP2's.  Never once have I looked down at the new Hogans and thought I saw large offset.  Half of me wants to dig an old set out and look at them side by side and then also side by side with the AP2's.  Then again half of me wants to ignore the issue so I don't spoil the set to my eye.  Problem is, the genie is now out of the bottle and I am going to look regardless....

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I don't care about offset as much as some do but I'm not a fan of it if there is a lot. For anyone who has seen these in person, check out the link below. It has 4 irons, 2 of which look fine to me and 2 that border on shovel-ish. Which is most similar to the hogans in offset only?

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/redgolfstore/media/Comparison.jpg.html

I don't care about offset as much as some do but I'm not a fan of it if there is a lot. For anyone who has seen these in person, check out the link below. It has 4 irons, 2 of which look fine to me and 2 that border on shovel-ish. Which is most similar to the hogans in offset only?

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/redgolfstore/media/Comparison.jpg.html

I think the shaft lean is different in each frame...

Rev,

Thank you sir! I live and breathe this game. I just wish the industry was more profitable. I'd love at some point in my life to do something with it. But, we all can have dreams! Plus, I don't want to kill my love for the game.

I think that's why I enjoy this place so much. It gives me a way to talk shop with like minded people who know what I'm talking about, instead of things going over their head. I always get my drivers cut down to 44.25 and the guys I golf with who are taller than me think it's a terrible idea to even swing that club. If only they know what the likes of Furyk and DJ play...

Undershooter, to me they look like they're the Mizuno/Nike irons in terms of offset. If I HAD to pick one id say Mizuno.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Archived