TESTERS WANTED! ×

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

Sean you just hit it out of the park with your last post regarding quality control at the factory.  I wast just talking to my beloved about the issue and I've bought underwear that has a sticker on it saying inspected by 4.  Personally I think there should be a guy/girl at Hogan who's job it is to inspect each iron before it is boxed for loft, lie and imperfections and place a sticker on each club saying inspected by.  That would eliminate any issues and stop returns based on clubs that went out with a 3 degree variance.

Personally I think Mbrodeur is spot on with his expectations regarding money spent and an expectation that things will be right out of the box.  I have the same expectation and now that I have been made aware that this happens as a matter of course I will be getting new irons checked.  Funnily enough I had my 60 degree wedge lie angle checked between a Mizuno and my Vokey and there was a 2 degree variance between manufacturers which I found interesting.  I tried the Mizuno and consistently stuck it in the ground like I did with the vokey but not so badly with the vokey and I think I may need to go more upright again. It did explain a few things though.  But I digress.

I don't think anyone is trashing Hogan over this issue it is just a legitimate concern that it occurred and no one wants to have it happen to them.  I think it would be fascinating to hear what Hogan has to say about it in response.  They have a beautiful product, a fitting system that may need tweaking and their quality control needs looking at too.  I would have thought that this would all be gold to a manufacturer who wants to get it right for their customers.  MGS has done a heap of work for them and all they have to do is read these reviews and act on them.  Win win if you ask me.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I took my MP-64's in to get the lie's adjusted, we checked the lofts at the same time. If I remember correctly, only one club was off, by 1 degree.

So I would guess they have some type of QC program goin on before any of their product leaves the factory.

I've got the KBS tours and love them.

So let's say you get a set, and they're all off. How much to get them all dialed in at your local pro Shop?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Rookie that's interesting. These things are stout feeling, but I love how firm they are. Feels really controllable. It's my first time hitting them with the Hogans and I don't really get much negative sound feedback. But it's one of those things where it's to each their own. Just curious!

Mizzy,

I didn't think anyone was calling them out or anything. I'm just happy to see that the discussion gave you some insight into the tolerances on clubs, and that you applied that knowledge not just to the Hogan brand, but also to irons in general.

I personally think it should be a matter of practice for people to check their equipment if possible. Sometimes it's not possible, like for people in my case.

With that being said, if Hogan could have someone perform that level of quality control on their sets that would be fantastic. I'd love to see them embrace their precision marketing tag line and advertise a zero tolerance policy, where they guarantee that all irons ship in the loft advertised to the customer. Now THAT would be cool.

As for their quality control, let's wait and see a couple more of the reviewers have their irons checked. I'm curious to see if this is a common issue or if it's more of an isolated incident.

I remember watching a video about the Edel golf company and their assembly process. They show in the video that when the company builds your clubs they manually check the lie and loft at every step of the build process. Just to guarantee that everything is lined up and built to spec. It's shown and extremely simple to do and would be easy to implement into a smaller scale assembly process. I'd love to see Hogan adopt something like that.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

When I took my MP-64's in to get the lie's adjusted, we checked the lofts at the same time. If I remember correctly, only one club was off, by 1 degree.

So I would guess they have some type of QC program goin on before any of their product leaves the factory.

I've got the KBS tours and love them.

So let's say you get a set, and they're all off. How much to get them all dialed in at your local pro Shop?

I'd love to be able to answer that. But I have no clue because I don't have a shop locally that can bend them. The closest place is my fitter and I'll find that out this coming week. Haha.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

IMHO all the way around it as a great review. I do not normally get this deep into a club review but it stayed interesting to say the least. Staff at MGS did a great job of selecting the testers and it was a broad range of experience. It goes to show that I think I am correct in stating you cant fit clubs properly over a computer or a phone you have to have the person and clubs there physically to really do it correctly. And I will say that 99% of all manufacturing processes have some tolerance variations no matter the brand.Trust me I have even seen some Miura heads off a degree or two right out of the box not many but sometimes.

I think with the Hogan company now putting their clubs retail in the PGA Superstores that is a big step in the right direction. You can go right there and see and feel them and if you purchase them they can be checked and adjusted then and there for you. Good example when I saw the clubs in person I saw that on basic design they were not the club for ME because of the offset. That is not cutting down Hogan at all that is just saying they do not fit my eye or swing style. Every club does not fit every one. To also stand up for the Hogan company on the specs (not loft) they have to go by the specs supplied by the customer and some people due to lack of experience do not know what they need. To again stand up for the Hogan folks I have had to make some adjustments on Hopkins wedges because some folks picked the wrong shafts for their swings and wrong grind on the soles for their specs. I had one guy that was cussing the Hopkins saying the sole design in which he ordered sucked. Was not nothing wrong with the sole grind or design or wedge itself it was the lie was too flat for him and he was digging the heel. When he sent in his specs he had gave them his Ping specs and the numbers simply did not match up on the Hopkins. I made adjustments for HIM and now he is happy.

Just a little insight from me for what it is worth and again great job from all the testers and from what I have read when Shawn gets his fine tuned by his fitter I think he is going to be absolutely in love with his

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thinking back to comments made by Rookie, Mizzie and Stu there is a pattern, namely that there is no uniform spec for standard. It makes it tough. In Wilson I'm 1 1/2 flat, Ping 2, Mizuno 1, Hogan 2, The Lord knows what in Hopkins and that's just the lie oh and Renegar says it doesn't matter, forgot about that.

Length, loft, offset all vary from builder to builder. My 9 is your 8 and the next guys W.

Oh well I guess what matters is finding a set of something that's fun to play with and that works for you. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Stu,

There is one guy I would feel comfortable saying can fit people over the phone. He's one of the best in the business and does many tour players clubs still. That man? Joe Kwok. He's an endless trove of knowledge and he's been reviewed plenty of times about his over the phone fittings. He nails it. Every time.

Also, as far as the customer (me) knowing what I was "ordering"... You can judge for yourself because I did post the back and forth I had with Barbajo before submitting the "order" questioning the HoganFit result. My understanding of his answer from Hogan was they wanted me to order what the HoganFit recommended. That's what I did. Not my fault they set it up to not care about any data you input and not carry it forward. I did what my understanding of what they asked me to do said, and that's order what it recommended. Were I a customer placing an order and paying for it, would I have a right to be mad? Sure. I'd be on the phone with them about the 30 day money back guarantee. At the time we were selected and we ordered, these clubs were near exclusively ordered online. They had some certified Hogan fitters. They weren't in the larger retailers.

That was a great choice they made to put them in the PGA stores (which had Scors before). I am, however, curious to see how they're presented there as far as stock is concerned if there is any. I wonder if they'll put them on a wedge rack with every conceivable loft available right there to see, touch and feel, or if they'll have a fitting cart and the orders have to be placed by phone/online by the PGA Store? That may be an experiment on my way home today, stop and see how they're presented there

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

No way am I bashing Hogan whatsoever. I would not have spent my hard earned money on a Scor set had I thought of them otherwise. Truth is, we only know a few things that might have contributed to the lofts being off by this much. 

As for my Wilson's, When I first got them I was pulling them left big time. The grips also felt bigger to me in the sense that they were really thick. I use midsize and these felt bigger. I changed the grips locally and found out that they had extensions in them as well as 4 wraps underneath the grips. Once we took the extensions out and put midsize grips, I was still pulling left but no where near as I was before. Than I figured out I was swinging too flat. Now I hit them very very well. I've mentioned before that my V2's have a more traditional loft compared to the burner 2.0's I replaced them with. I still use a 9 iron from 150 like I did with the burner's. Maybe the lofts are close to the same? Doesn't matter. I would only realistically get them checked if performance was an issue (like the extensions and grips).

Rooks can answer this though. You've mentioned that you always adjust your irons. Obviously the Hogans aren't the first. To your recollection, to your remember the lofts of other irons you adjusted being off by so much? If so, it would make sense with the Hogans. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Until recently I didn't do my own adjustments my buddy did them at the store he worked at. He gave me spec sheets on all of them but I'd have to dig those up. I've not seen any off 3 degrees in the half dozen or so sets I've done but I've seen 2-2.5 degrees. Only 1 of these was off 3 degrees. Most were 2-2-5 degrees off with 2 being 1 degree off

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Until recently I didn't do my own adjustments my buddy did them at the store he worked at. He gave me spec sheets on all of them but I'd have to dig those up. I've not seen any off 3 degrees in the half dozen or so sets I've done but I've seen 2-2.5 degrees. Only 1 of these was off 3 degrees. Most were 2-2-5 degrees off with 2 being 1 degree off

So in your opinion do you feel the Hogans were acceptable since we are talking 1 degree compared to what, in your experiences, would seem like standard to be off a couple of degrees?

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Stu,

Fantastic way to put that. Your input nailed it. Thank you for that.

And brodeur nice couple of follow up questions. I sincerely wish I had somewhere to take these irons today to have them checked! It would be so interesting. Haha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I've owned my own bending machine for a long time now and I can second all of RB's comments. Being off one degree is really nothing because there are so many variables associated with using a bending machine. However, when you are 2+ degrees then there is an issue.

Every year for over 10 years I got a new custom set of clubs from xyz manufacturer TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, etc. and it was a rare occasion for them to be spot on. I can remember one year my Callaway set was supposed to be 1* flat and all clubs were good, but the 7 iron was 3* up. I spotted that one out of the box! I can also remember a set one of my assts received where the 5, 6, and 7 iron all had the exact same loft! Sooo funny. He played em for about a month until he finally came to me and asked why he hits his 7 iron the same distance as his 6 and his 5 iron only about 5 yards further. Hilarious.

So in your opinion do you feel the Hogans were acceptable since we are talking 1 degree compared to what, in your experiences, would seem like standard to be off a couple of degrees?

I said they were acceptable to me. Some people would really have some trouble with it though because lots of shops won't bend clubs more than 2 degrees. See how many I had they wouldn't touch? They wouldn't have bent the lies for me either because several had to be bent more than 2 degrees (remember I said they were all between 61 and 63 degrees lie angle. I am capable of and did bend mine myself. So it's acceptable. More favorable, especially with a company marketing precision and having every individual loft from 20-63 degrees would've been no more than 1 degree off. That's what sticks out to me, they have every loft from 20-63, that's 43 clubs they stock. And I had multiple more than a degree off in loft?

In The Bag

@Rookie and others that get their woods digitally lofted, are you orders them like that and putting them in play? Or are you getting them, hitting them on a Trackman or flightscope, getting your numbers than adjusting them accordingly?

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

@Rookie and others that get their woods digitally lofted, are you orders them like that and putting them in play? Or are you getting them, hitting them on a Trackman or flightscope, getting your numbers than adjusting them accordingly?

I don't put anything directly into play. Most of my drivers, fairway and hybrid heads are tour issued items that come to me. They come with a spec sticker and I know what my preferences are as far as loft, lie and face angle (face angle is big for me, I don't like square clubs nor closed fairways or drivers, they have to sit a little open (2-3 degrees)or I'll hook them off the planet. Hybrids need to be around a degree open up to 2 open. I do deloft them at times to hit low runners off the tee and one that's square or closed becomes a hook machine). But after I build them, I still don't put them into play until I hit them individually then hit them side by side with my gamers. Of the drivers I've bought to try and replace my current one, there have been 45. Of those 45, about 10 ever made it to the course after hitting them side by side and individually. I don't put something in play for myself I don't have confidence in and some measurable results with.

In The Bag

Rookie you and I are alike in that we have been around clubs long enough to know what our specs are and what we need for us. If we have to we can make the adjustments. What I was referring to was the average guy that does not know or has any idea.

That is a good idea you have in checking out the PGA store in your area and seeing how they present it. Your store may be better than mine. My store in Myrtle Beach has failed to impress me in the past part of it is this area we have constant turnover in employees in the golf and other industries.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I hate to get totally off the beaten path here but you I know plenty of guys who are very good golfers who buy their clubs off the rack, never think twice about it and go out and shoot even. I know one guy like that who struggles to remember which hits the ball farther his G, W, L or S wedge. :)

Sometimes I'd like to wrap one of his totally misfit clubs around his head!

Oh and the worst part of it is that everything in his bag is at least five years old.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Don't those people just blow your mind? Seriously. In the town that I live in I could probably count on one hand the number of people who know half of the stuff about golf clubs that we are talking about on here.

It's just so interesting how important something can seem to people, yet how unimportant that same variable can be to so many others! When I talk about clubs the way I do people think I'm full blown crazy. Because it's just so over their head.

Sometimes it's frustrating. But that's where the board comes in! Haha. 😊

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Don't those people just blow your mind? Seriously. In the town that I live in I could probably count on one hand the number of people who know half of the stuff about golf clubs that we are talking about on here.

It's just so interesting how important something can seem to people, yet how unimportant that same variable can be to so many others! When I talk about clubs the way I do people think I'm full blown crazy. Because it's just so over their head.

Sometimes it's frustrating. But that's where the board comes in! Haha.

Crazy to me. I feel like I would have much better success getting an adjustable driver and tweaking that vs. ordering a tour issue 9.7* glued in head. Even if you know your preferred loft, unless you're getting the same head again and again, with all the different CGs in heads ordering a glued head it must be hard to get the correct fit.

@Rookie do you think you'd have better than a 10/45 chance if you went with an adjustable head of beating out your current gamer. Or is it just the thrill of trying something new or Tour Issue that you love?

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

That's a good point SNC. CG location would obviously dictate a different optimal loft for the club. Take for example the whole sldr thing. DJ added some loft going to that driver. So I'd imagine your average bear would have to do the same!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Correct me if in wrong but isn't there a difference in weight distribution between fixed and adjustable heads? I've known Rokkie to game adjustables before BTW.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Crazy to me. I feel like I would have much better success getting an adjustable driver and tweaking that vs. ordering a tour issue 9.7* glued in head. Even if you know your preferred loft, unless you're getting the same head again and again, with all the different CGs in heads ordering a glued head it must be hard to get the correct fit.

@Rookie do you think you'd have better than a 10/45 chance if you went with an adjustable head of beating out your current gamer. Or is it just the thrill of trying something new or Tour Issue that you love?

I've tried adjustable and non-adjusting we'll all the same. The SLDR made it the longest of anything and it was a full month and a half of on and off again. I even had it in Tampa when I played with Rev, Foz, and Jax. That round is why I switched back. Yeah I hit 1 good ball in that round with it but the rest sucked compared to what I'm used to.

My gamer is marked 8.5 degrees and is 9.3 degrees actual and 2.1 degrees open. I had a SLDR 12 degree set as open as it went (I tried 9, 10 and 12 degree in the 430 and 460).

In The Bag

Shawn I will throw something else in the mix on "adjustable CG" Cobra has done it now with the adjustable weights in the sole of their new drivers. Something us old timers used to do with persimmon in a similar fashion with either taking a sole plate off and drilling a hole and pouring lead in a different spot or simply putting lead tape on the sole plate in the desired spot. Also Callaway's "gravity core" it is no new innovation, go find a vintage 40 year old Toney Penna driver or FW wood and you will see what I am talking about. H&B put the majority of their weight in the rear of their persimmon drivers with a bolt on factory weight. Actually back in the day depending on the insert and lofts being the same the old Power Bilt drivers launched higher than any stock production driver at the time. Yes there are different ways to achieve a higher launch or lower one for that matter. It is all in experimentation

G

Shawn I will throw something else in the mix on "adjustable CG" Cobra has done it now with the adjustable weights in the sole of their new drivers. Something us old timers used to do with persimmon in a similar fashion with either taking a sole plate off and drilling a hole and pouring lead in a different spot or simply putting lead tape on the sole plate in the desired spot. Also Callaway's "gravity core" it is no new innovation, go find a vintage 40 year old Toney Penna driver or FW wood and you will see what I am talking about. H&B put the majority of their weight in the rear of their persimmon drivers with a bolt on factory weight. Actually back in the day depending on the insert and lofts being the same the old Power Bilt drivers launched higher than any stock production driver at the time. Yes there are different ways to achieve a higher launch or lower one for that matter. It is all in experimentation

That's all seriously amazing. It's so cool to see old technology disguised in new clubs!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Mac Burrows did the cavity sole a decade or so ago too.

In The Bag

Now your cooking with gas Stu.  I remeber my Grandfather wouyd take an old driver (hickory shafted BTW) and drill the head to add weight to it.  He would then use it to warm up before his round.  This was way before the little donuts that we use today.  And you are correct, the PowerBilt drivers seemed to get a higher launch back then.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

@ Mizzelover - I would hope that you would have discovered something funky at that 28 before the aforementioned scenario.  What this is telling me is that it pays to have your specs checked out of the box.  My current irons are the only one's I've done that with and they were pretty good, a degree here or there and all lies within 1/2 a degree as ordered.

Still 3 degrees is a bit unsettling, I'm afraid that it happens a lot more than we realize, remember that 5 iron you couldn't seem to hit or the wedge or the what ever it was that didn't perform like the demo model?  It's not always you. :)

I guess I am going to have to get my lofts checked.  It could explain some of the distance gaps I noticed in my review.  I have never had lofts checked before.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Mike,

That actually is hugely relevant now that you mention it. When you talked about a distance gap the first thing I came to was your swing and the way you deloft the club, but that was because I assumed that your specs were correct.

It will be very interesting to see where the lofts check out on your irons. If I'm a betting man, I'd guess that the lower lofted club between the gap is a little stronger than advertised.

It would be very interesting if we could somehow have all 6 of the testers check the loft/lie on their irons and have everyone report back here to get a consensus on how their sets shipped. I mentioned Hogan on a tweet saying they should join the conversation, hoping they'd come in and give some feedback on these kinds of things.

Maybe Barbajo and Bones want to take this in a different direction or have us run with it? It seems like it's part of the review process that maybe we all need to cover. And I'd like to hear what people say. 

Maybe if our sets are off of spec by a decent amount it will inspire a new assembly process at Hogan or a change in their tolerances.

Thoughts and feedback from the testers and Bones/Barbajo? (everyone else is obviously welcome to comment as well) Rookie you obviously would be excluded, but it would be interesting to have you publish the actual loft differences that you found, if you have them recorded.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Personally, I think a spec-check is legitimate.  I think all the testers agree that the clubs perform and seem to be perform very well for you- that's the most important thing.  Putting HoganFit in the proper perspective is another - it's an online fitting aid that places a certain amount of responsibility on the common sense of the user. 

Specs are important as well - it's part of the overall picture, but only a part.  I went through a club-fitting a few years ago and the fitter told me when he orders clubs from a manufacturer he always orders them with the grips uniinstalled.  He told me 9 times out of 10 the specs are anywhere from a little off to a lot off, so he makes sure the swingweight, loft and lie are what they should be. He told me that the worst offender, by far, was Ping.  That surprised me.

And a buddy recently bought a set of clubs from a high-end manufacturer - he found he was hitting his 7 iron longer than his 6 iron. A spec-check found the loft on the 6 was actually HIGHER than the loft of the 7! Go figure...

It's also important to note - and I'm not making excuses for anyone, just stating some facts - that when your irons were made, Hogan's production process wasn't in place yet.  They were still finishing up their offices - and didn't actually start building clubs for sale until mid-April.  They did rush this order to the front of the line so that you guys would have your clubs to review quickly, so a little perspective is needed. 

Their production manager worked for the old Hogan company for many years, and designed a unique "conveyer belt" production system - and he's re-creating it for the new Hogan company.  Clubs will be made by the set - meaning your entire set will be built at one time, rather than someone building a ton of 6 irons (or 29 irons) at a time and then the set being put together from already built pieces, and each set will be inspected and reinspected before leaving the building.  I'm anxious to get back down to Ft. Worth and see it in action.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

For perspective, and since I was asked to, I will provide the lofts as they were when I got them, as I did, in fact, record them.

21 marked 19 actual
25 marked 22.5 actual
29 marked 27 actual
33 marked 30 actual (the 3 degree difference)
37 marked 34.5 actual
41 marked 39 actual
45 marked 47 actual (HUGE GAP THERE)
49 marked 47 actual 
53 marked 51 actual
58 marked 55.5 actual
63 marked 62.5 actual (the one I would classify as on loft).

I adjusted every one of them to their marked lofts.  Didn't necessarily have to adjust the 63, but I did anyway, just so the entire set was on spec.

Like I said, it wasn't a big deal to me.  I wasn't concerned with it at all because I do have a loft lie machine and the adjustment was simple enough for me.  That's why I didn't mention it or discuss it at all until Barbajo mentioned it.  I also didn't mention it because of what Barbajo stated, they were new at the time and also at the time we were building Texas was practically underwater.  I had chalked it up to them trying to get these in our hands quickly and Hogan beingn in the heart of the flooding area and I'm sure they had a good bit on their plate with that as well.  I mentioned that in my unboxing, the weather they were experiencing at the time they were building.  Another reason I didn't feel compelled to mention it other than telling Barbajo in mine and his PM conversation after my review was posted initially.  That's why I said I had no ill will toward Hogan as well.  They were relatively new in the business, company wise, and they were getting things kicked up.

And that's where I am going to bow out of the loft discussion as well.  Why? Because to me, it was insignificant.  I may have gotten a little passionate after the relevation came out(if that damages the Hogan name for some, please, don't let it), but I do not want to detract from the review any more with that discussion. Why?  Because the clubs now fit and I am now playing them and I do now like them.  I'd rather focus, at this point, on the clubs and their performance, because they are performing well for me. So let's shift the focus to where it should be.  The new player in the market.  These ARE fantastic clubs after all is said and done.  And they're in more and more places, likely expanding more as I type this.  My advice for those that are considering it and this may have created some skepticism?  Don't let it scare you off of these clubs.  Their processes are improving daily, which Barbajo also pointed out. They are available in more locations to hit prior to purchase.  The big thing, though, is that the power is in the player's hands as well.  These are being sold direct to public.  So with that known, if you've never been fitted, at the least take your current clubs and have them spec checked and fitted.  If you've already done that, find your spec sheet.  Then, you're an informed consumer when you go to place your order.  You know what length and lie you need (I did know that, and Barbajo and I had a misunderstanding when we were discussing the HoganFit questions I had.  I didn't alter the length prior to telling them to send the HoganFit prescription.  I thought that's what was inferred when we had that discussion, go with the HoganFit.  He meant loft/lie was what they wanted us to stick to.  Misunderstanding is all it was).  If you've got a place that carries Hogan product in your area and you're seriously considering this brand, go hit them and get a spec check on the Hogans themselves.  Order a set or order 1 club.  However you want to try them out, I encourage you to do so if these clubs are ones you are considering.  They do perform very well.  If you're a guy that's always played blades and loved the look of blades but your game is declining a little or you can't dedicate as much time as you used to, these may be the blades for you.  They do have more forgiveness than any blade I've ever played.  And they're not as penal as their on the market counterparts on mishits.  Let's move past the discussion of the build issue that ended up not being an issue for me after all was said and done, though, and let's discuss the product.  Hogan does have a winner on their hands with it.

As a foot note, I wrote every word of the above at my own volition.  I woke up this morning (off work today for a day and have some yard work to do) and I thought, you know, maybe I steered that discussion a little bit off course of what's important.  That's why I just wrote this.  Thanks for reading. 

In The Bag

Archived